Smoky's Grow - 1st Timer - Need All The Advice I Can Get

Awesome info. Thanks for the link. That's like the bible of growth huh. Only thing is it doesn't talk about all led grows. If it does I missed it. Idk how much different am LED grow is from a hps or mh grow besides heat. But like I said. I now will have 2 of these LED lights. Next question. Do I need a real deal vent system?

I think everything has already been pretty well covered, but since I'm here, I'll throw my $0.02 into the mix.

MG soil isn't ideal, but if you have it, you can use it, but NOT for seeds or new cuttings. You could cut/dilute it with non-soil (like Promix and perlite), or just use the peat moss and perlite for germination. Don't add any nute's in the beginning.
The advice on patience is exactly right. Too many new growers add stuff to their soil, or they water every day or two, and end up loving their plants to death.

I will also throw my 2c in, and nice to meet you Smokey...

Regarding the Miracle Grow... especially in veg, it is a pretty decent soil and I used it for years with good results. To kill the critters living in old stored away soil, you can bake it in the oven for a half hour or so at 275°, and that will get them. You can also flush it real good before using it, and I have even started new seeds directly in it prepared this way. MG has a bad rep, mostly because it is made by Monsanto and they are into all that GMO stuff... but if you need a good cheap soil to get things started in, you could do worse.

Note above I said veg... Even the mighty MG with its little nute balls will give out sometime in flower. My advice is to use the cheap MG stuff in early veg and take advantage of all the nutes it provides so you don't have to or are tempted to add anything else, and when you start up-potting into your larger containers, 1 gal and up, get some better soil to pack in there with them. Spend some money and get a good soil designed for growing pot in, like FoxFarm Ocean Forest, or better yet, research how to build your own soil with amendments.

It was said before, I will say it again... the most common beginner mistake is overwatering by watering too often. Learn that this is a weed, and it flat out does not like to be wet all the time, so you must let it dry out all the way to the bottom of the container each time before you water... none of this sticking a finger in the top and feeling if it is dry. When you water, water with gusto and slowly attempt to get your soil to soak up as much water as you can, saturating the soil. Then, sit on your hands for several days, and wait for your plant to find and use all of that water.

The second most common mistake is over fertilizing. Think of nutes as vitamins, only to be used on a healthy plant with enough light and air to be able to use an extra boost. Nutes are not food... your soil and the organics in it breaking down are the food your plant needs, not something added by you. Trust your soil and trust your plants... they really do know what they are doing.

Lastly, pH. There is no excuse for inaccuracy in today's world. Adjust your pH to 6.5 every time in soil, and pay no attention to all these folks saying that pH doesn't matter or who are checking their run off pH or soil pH, all you have to do is adjust the incoming waters correctly and everything else is automatic.

That's my advice right now, and it contains all the most common things that I deal with as a plant diagnostician over and over again on the several boards that I frequent. Welcome to the hobby, and hopefully soon you will have the meds that you need. If you get in trouble, we are here to help you, just take good pictures, don't pluck off damaged leaves, and trust our advice... we were once where you are now, and we do understand what you are going through.

Good luck!
Emilya

In for a penny, in for a pound. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Should I be at all worried to post pictures? Not to give it all away, but I live in the bible belt... If ya get what I'm saying.

I get what your putting down. If you are concerned someone may recognize you or your plants, might I suggest no face pictures of you, just of the plants. And pictures of the outside of your home would not be a good choice either but your grow area should be fine. One way to be sure though is go to anyones journal and do not read where they are from, just look at the pictures and see if you can guess where they live or who they are. For the most part you will be able to tell if they are male or female by the size and shape of their hands in the photos. Other then that, it is pretty generic.

Haha thanks for asking about posting pictures and being identifiable and the answer ,I was concerned about that too.

I'm a new grower too and learning lots from the grow journals and the new growers like me , it would be swell if you feel comfratable , to see some pics ( of your plants or how your grow rooms is arranged)

Well, right now there is nothing to see at all. Nothing more than a plan a couple of lights en route haha. I have some seeds in a glass of water germinating (hope it works, I've always used the paper towel and plate technique). I have a closet ready with the only power source that's in the closet being in the light fixture at the top. I can run a power strip in under the door easily tho. I'm hoping I can use the lights on timers and just a few fans and have a successful grow. If I have to add exhaust, I'm prepared for that. Have a plan in mind and it would create a passive intake. Once my seeds are germinated I'll find some dirt to grow in and I'll post a pic or two whenever the lights come in I suppose.

I get what your putting down. If you are concerned someone may recognize you or your plants, might I suggest no face pictures of you, just of the plants. And pictures of the outside of your home would not be a good choice either but your grow area should be fine. One way to be sure though is go to anyones journal and do not read where they are from, just look at the pictures and see if you can guess where they live or who they are. For the most part you will be able to tell if they are male or female by the size and shape of their hands in the photos. Other then that, it is pretty generic.

Thats it, im wearing nail polish from now on!

Smokey, OGs advice was good, and id not worry to much. 420mag and alottt of people have been posting pics for years and ive never seen a "ive been busted because of my pictures" thread.
Ps, bible belt? thats like east india area right? We might be neighbors buddy!

IP addresses

If the US Feds had access to 420's IP database, you would already be in trouble. Strength in numbers Smoky... unless you show off pictures of a full out warehouse grow in an illegal state, no one is even going to take notice of a little grow log with a few plants. There are just too many of us... And without a picture, or fingerprints showing up on a photo (happens all the time), can they really prove that it was you, and not one of your kids, or a friend who uses your computer network, or even a neighbor you share your wifii with?? Not to a judge anyway... and not enough to get a warrant.

What's up guys. Got a bag of soil today. Also got the room nice and clean. Got an incandescent and 2 cfls in there running now to see where the temp hovers. Stays in the mid 70's. So yea. I'm looking into getting a pH tester and a tds tester. Is this neccesary? Also, I'm on a mobile device. How do I upload pics??

Thanks slender. Once before I tried growing. Not a serious effort tho. I had my plants in 5 gal buckets. I once watered it so much you could pick the bucket up and slosh it around! Haha. Believe it or not the plant made it.

Side note. The seeds I put in water 4-5 days ago haven't sprouted at all. I thought one was but there's been no progress. I put two more in between two plates with a wet rag. That method has always worked great for me. This grow is happening one way or another! Tired of smoking bricked up dirt!

Thanks major! Now I can upload pics, as you can tell from that sweet ass glamour shots that's now my profile pic. Haha. Anyways, do you guys want to see my tiny little closet? Haven't received the lights yet. Haven't got a seed in dirt yet. But the spot is cleaned up and ready to go.

WE HAVE GERMINATION!
Lights got here yesterday. After a trial run with the lights I'm def gonna need to set up an exhaust fan. Temps reached 105 directly under the lights and remained mid 80's the rest of the time

Back
Top Bottom