SoilGirl's Organic In & Out Journal 2015

SoilGirl

Welcome to my Indoor/Outdoor all organic soil grow journal. :) I'll be growing quite a few strains all in organic soils; mostly LOS/ROLS (Living Organic Soil/Recycled Organic Living Soil - just search either of these terms and there's a wealth of information out there for beginners) ... but I'll also be experimenting around with some other soils that might not qualify for either of those exclusive labels, haha. =]

I'll do my best to keep this up to date, relevant, helpful to all comers experienced or just starting, with a respectful, friendly atmosphere in the spirit of 420. :Namaste: And just a warning, this will be a long intro since I hope to pack as much info for beginners in the first post as I can. Sorry if its a bit much, hopefully it'll help someone. ;)

STRAINS...So far:
*Jamaican OG from Cali Connection, a mostly sativa heavy hitter with great reviews. Genetics are Jamaican x OG Kush. Flowering time 50-70 days, around 67 recommended.

*Dinafem Diesel, a 60/40 Sativa dominant strain I enjoy very much. I think its very underrated, there's a sweetness in it I think other Diesel's really could use. I recommend 55-70 days in flower, the taste is better earlier on but you get a more hybrid effect towards 70 days. I'd also highly recommend it for beginners; good yield, very easy to grow, strong against pests and mold.

*Dinafem White Widow, an Indica dominant hybrid with a flowering period of 50-60 days. Brazillian and Indian genetics.

*Dinafem Cheese, a 60-40 Indica dominant hybrid with a 54-60 day flowering time. Dinafem backcrossed some Cheese with some Afghani, and voila, Dinafem Cheese. Pretty good reviews, and I'm a big fan of cheese, yay! :)

*UltraSour, (from my friend's 2014 grow, found in a bud from a TH Seeds mother plant - hopefully decent stock, but a hermie can't be ruled out, and I can't be sure that its still pure UltraSour. Either way, I wanna try it out.) MK Ultra x Sour D, 59-70 days in flower, 70/30 Indica dominant.

*Medicann Blue Blood, a 1998 Blueberry x OG Kush high CBD strain, 6-10 week flowering time, 70/30 Indica dominant. Same cut as from my last grow. A pic of that plant is at the bottom of this post, the buds get a little foxtaily for my taste but very aromatic, with a nice relaxed smoke/vapor experience. My parents really like it, and say my other strains are too strong... I think the CBD mellows out the effects of the THC a bit.

*OG Kush (from a private reserve seed), the same cut as from my last grow. It's very exotic, smells and tastes very citrusy with some turpentine and sandalwood in there, clearly a Sativa dominant pheno by the way it grows and by the high. This plant also happens to be my first re-veg, a big one at that. I'm excited to see it outdoors.

*Euphoria (bagseed), from the same bag as I got my awesome Euphoria last summer. I loved that one, can't wait to see how this does. 80-20 Indica dominant says the bag, and I remember that it has a beautiful taste and high once all the sugary fan leaves look nearly 100% amber (trichs). Great citrus flavor.

If soil... what is in your mix?

"Clackamas Coot soil mix:

"Equal parts of Sphagnum peat moss, some aeration deal (pumice, rice hulls, lava rock - whatever is sitting in the garage) and finally some mix of humus - my compost, worm castings some black leaf mold I bought from the local 'worm guy'
To each 1 c.f. of this mix I add the following:
1/2 cup organic Neem meal/cake
1/2 cup organic Kelp meal/cake
1/2 cup Crab meal/cake (or Crustacean meal when available - it has Shrimp meal with the Crab meal. It's a local product from the fisheries on the Oregon & Washington Coasts)
4 cups of some minerals - rock dust

After the plant is in the final container I top-dress with my worm castings at 2" or so and then I hit it with Aloe vera juice and Comfrey extract. Or Borage. Or Stinging Nettle. Or Horsetail ferns. Whatever is ready.

The Rock Dust Recipe
4x - Glacial Rock Dust - Canadian Glacial (Gaia Green label)
1x - Bentonite - from the pottery supply store
1x - Oyster Shell Powder - the standard product from San Francisco Bay
1x - Basalt - from Redmond, Oregon (new product at Concentrates - about $18.00) ."

I believe that this recipe allows for some substitutions and that the biggest thing is to stick to the 1/3 SPM, 1/3 aeration, 1/3 humus and the amendments at the specified ratios. I have seen people (including myself) vary the actually "rock dusts" but don't if you can help it, and certainly don't omit the oyster shell flour in place of something else.

Living organic soil is very rewarding to grow in, give it a try, no one has ever looked back after going this route." - Thanks to COorganics and CC for this quote.

- I follow CO and CC's advice for my soils, most of my LOS pots have different soils in them but they follow this basic idea. I'll be doing some experiments of course, but specifically, my basic mix right now is: a base of Sunshine Mix #4 Advanced/Organic (containing: Canadian Sphagnum peat moss, perlite, coir, dolomite lime, gypsum, organic fertilizer, proprietary blend of endomycorrhizae, and organic wetting agent. Read more here: Sunshine AdvancedSunshine Advanced Growing Mix 4 Tech Talk - Updated) ... I'm also trying one or two plants in a base of Kellogg Garden Organics All Natural Garden Soil, as seen here: Organic Gardening Soils | Kellogg Garden Organics | Kellogg Garden Products

I amend these bases with those afore-mentioned Clackamas Coots' LOS amendments, and I also use Mykos and Azos, some Yum Yum mix, ground eggshells, homemade composts and worm castings and leaf mold, some Azomite and Excellerite, vermiculite, a little FFOF, and once the soil is mixed and in a large enough pot (preferably 7-10 gallons) I top it off with a top cover living mulch blend of seeds.

Cooking your soil: if you want to get your soil charged with microlife prior to planting, cook it. Just bin it, mix it well with some micro-inoculant like good worm castings or leaf mold or compost, and water it until its decently moist with water with a touch of blackstrap molasses, cover it, and let it breathe once or twice a day for a couple weeks to a couple months is my method.

Size of light? I have a Mars II 1600w LED, 2 Old Model 100x3w LED's, 1 Sunshine System 90w High Powered GrowUFO LED, 2 4 ft. 4 bulb t5 fluorescent fixtures, and several sizes of CFL.

Is it aircooled? no

Humidity/Temps? we'll keep an eye on that once I replace my meter >.< left it in the rain...

Any Pests ? ugh are there any I haven't had? Lol. Gnats, mites, caterpillars, leafminers, ants, mealybugs, black soldier fly larvae to name a few. Luckily I also have predatory mites to help keep them at bay.

How often are you watering? All the time. LOS must not dry out. I know this may sound scary to those used to a wet/dry cycle (which I know has its benefits), but in LOS, the fungi and microlife are paramount to your grow, and if you ever let your soil crust over, dry and stale, they're all gonna die. Indoors this is a potential issue for gnats, but can be dealt with a number of ways, like using a SWICK, or BT dunks, or certain top dressings that gnats hate.

Nutes? No classic nutes. I'll use top dressings of rich compost or worm castings or good organic amendments. I'm growing aloe vera for aloe vera juice. You just take a leaf, split it, scrape the gel out, dilute it and mix it with a bucket of water. It has a million benefits, its a great fertilizer as far as NPK, the salicylic acid fights pests and increases plant resistance to stress, helps start to break down organic matter.. Good stuff :)

I'll also be using Sprouted Seed Teas often, and probably botanicals. SST's are cheap, easy and great for your plants, full of enzymes and goodness. You can actually use pretty much any old seeds for SST's, all sprouts have enzymes and little bits of nutrition for early growth, but I'd recommend using organic popcorn and barley (or malted barley which sounds way easier and better) ... I sprout mine by soaking them overnight in a cup of water, then I dump the water out, rinse them and return them to the cup (don't fill the cup back up with water lol); then rinse twice daily with rainwater or the best filtered water you can find, distilled perhaps, I stick with rainwater. We've had plenty this year haha.

Maybe I'll even finally get into bubbled/aerated teas... still getting there... my LOS buddies might have to keep pushing me in that direction.

Old Grow Photos

Euphoria last summer:

PA0100101.JPG

PC050017.JPG

Dinafem Diesel cabdriver from my last journal:

0312151434c.jpg

0312151433.jpg

Dinafem Diesel mother from my last journal:

0403151655.jpg

0403151655a.jpg

Medicann Blue Blood clone from my last journal:

0330152123.jpg

0330152106.jpg

My OG Kush PR from the last journal, in the process of revegetating... doesn't look like much here, but you'll see what it turns into next... thanks to Reg (B A R - the reveg master!) for convincing me to try a reveg with his beauties! :)

0330152107a.jpg

Alright that's quite a start. But apparently the pics I took on my phone are facing the wrong way for now >.< I know what I did wrong and will get some new photos today, those are already 2-3 days old lol, wow this took me a long time to do... ok well. Welcome to the journal! :circle-of-love::volcano-smiley::hippy:

re: SoilGirl's Organic In & Out Journal 2015

Pics from 6-14-15

Jamaican Fire OG Clone #1:
Just after seeing roots in the cloner and being moved into some soil, under the t5 with the seedlings:

0615151257.jpg

Euphoria:
Had 'helmet' issues, but pulled through.

0615151255a.jpg

Dinafem White Widow:
Kindof trained itself right out of the gate, cool. ;)

0615151255.jpg

UltraSour:
A decent looking seedling. I think its going more slowly than WW, who popped out the same day.

0615151254.jpg

Dinafem Cheese:
Doing great :) I've wanted to grow cheese for a long time, yay!

0615151253.jpg

2 more Jamaican OG clones looking promising :)

0615151303.jpg

0615151301.jpg

My Dinafem Diesel mother, revegging :)

0615151311.jpg

And a peek outside... Far left is that OG Kush PR reveg... middle, Jamaican Fire OG mother (after a bad drop that took one of her main branches), right, Medicann Blue Blood clone. oh and out in front to the right is a little Red Cherry Berry I forgot about haha, it thinks its flowering time for some reason after the 24/7 cloning, its full on budding outdoors as the days get longer and longer. :laughtwo: what a funny plant.

0615151306.jpg

Subbed!

Did you invite Rad? If not, how about now?:love:

Jumped back and read your intro. Geez, it's good to have you back on the team. Your passion for LOS exceeds my own, and you have the experience that I lack. I've learned a couple things about LOS no-till maintenance. We should have coffee sometime in a PM.

I laughed right out loud at your candor about pests.

Let's light these pages up Girl! :yahoo:

Wow nice poking good can't wait too see what comes out of this run I'm subb :)
Thanks and welcome Gutta :) :passitleft: I'm very excited to see how this goes too. Perhaps a bit late to be starting summer seeds, but hey, gotta work with what you're given. :)
Subbed!

Did you invite Rad? If not, how about now?:love:

Jumped back and read your intro. Geez, it's good to have you back on the team. Your passion for LOS exceeds my own, and you have the experience that I lack. I've learned a couple things about LOS no-till maintenance. We should have coffee sometime in a PM.

I laughed right out loud at your candor about pests.

Let's light these pages up Girl! :yahoo:
I should go and invite Rado... This journal needs some wizardly charm. :love: Thanks Sue :)

Now IDK if I'd say my passion exceeds yours! But I'm happy with a tie :) and reading your posts nobody could ever know you lack experience, you're so amazing and dedicated to doing the best you can for your plants, and you're a teacher! My vote for the best one on this forum! :hug: I'll be tapping into those teaching skills a lot I'm sure this summer, I haven't even wandered into your building a better soil thread yet! Trust me I'll make it there. I'm catching up a bit at a time. I can hardly say I have much going on compared to you or others, I just missed SO much.

I'd love to have coffee and share in a PM :) - and I'm glad you got a laugh out of my pests :laughtwo: bugs.. ever the turd in my organic pudding.

Thanks for joining us Sue! It wouldn't be right without you. :hug: stay strong you amazing sweet woman. Pm me any time I'm always excited to hear from you :love:

subed

Hi SoilGirl, I´m glad I stumbled with your journal, so much to learn from you. I am trying to establish a perpetual grow using organic nutrients only.
I am glad to see you have had such good results with organics, its really encouraging to see amazing bud grown organically. I will research about Living organic soil and get some aloe vera, it is really common in my area!
Following your grow with a notebook in my hand and a lot of questions in my mind.

Thank you for sharing you journal.

I love :420:

Thanks Bears :welcome: I hope you'll enjoy it!
Hi SoilGirl, I´m glad I stumbled with your journal, so much to learn from you. I am trying to establish a perpetual grow using organic nutrients only.
I am glad to see you have had such good results with organics, its really encouraging to see amazing bud grown organically. I will research about Living organic soil and get some aloe vera, it is really common in my area!
Following your grow with a notebook in my hand and a lot of questions in my mind.

Thank you for sharing you journal.

I love :420:
Absolutely! Welcome Roach! This is why I do it :) I hope I can help and would love to along the way, I'll sub to your journal and follow along. I think that's a great idea to add aloe to your garden, its not just great for plants but good to have around for people too. I got the idea from COorganics. :love: Speak up if you have any questions/curiosities! If I don't have the answer, someone here probably will. I love this forum too. Its a special place. :rollit:
subbed and excited to watch the show.

Here's to keeping the drama to a minimum and the awesomeness to a maximum :rollit:
hahahaha :laughtwo: here's to just that Rado! Excited to have you along. :passitleft: :hippy:

She's back. I'm in. :high-five:
Oui Oui, Monsieur Teddy :) ...and that's the extent of my french. So much for that class in 8th grade. :laughtwo:

I am back! so glad to catch up with you and your awesome grow and greekish life and have you along for this. :) You're gonna rake in a monster harvest to whop mine if I don't get moving! Watch out Mr. your hands will never stop clenching from the trimming. I guess there's worse problems though ... ;)
Happy to have you back home girl :love: !!!! Excited to see your ladies, I really missed you and your grows around here :circle-of-love:
Thanks daT!! :love: I'm so happy to be back too. I wonder whats going on with your grow lately! Missed you too. I'm gonna go get some pics ok. Brb :)

- Side Note: I'm ordering the buildasoil complete IPM kit, I've wanted to try it pretty much all year haha. I suppose I don't need the aloe, but a little extra can't hurt. For those that don't know whats in it:

1 Ounce Aloe Vera powder - makes over 100 gallons of aloe juice for plants
1 Pound Agsil16H - makes a frickload of potassium silicate foliar sprays, and a good emulsifier
1 Pound Coconut Water Powder - makes over 150 gallons of juice for plants
Small Bag Malted Barley Seeds - to make SST's more simple and diversify the enzymes a bit from just using organic popcorn
1 Pint Ahimsa Neem Oil - enough to make 32 gallons emulsified spray (with agsil, yucca, aloe or Dr. Bronners soaps)
8 ounces BuildASoil Essential Oil Blend with Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, Thyme, Clover and Ginger Oils. - makes about 16 gallons of spray. ... :slide: ;)

Update 6-19-15:

Hi everyone. :ciao: Time for an update. :Namaste: So, something I left out of my earlier posts is that all my outdoor plants are currently confused about daylight. They're trying to decide whether to flower or to keep vegging due to my leaving them in 20-24 hours of light every day for the first 6 weeks of their lives then moving them out here. Let's take a look.

Here are my 2 big OG's. On the left, OG Kush (PR), on the right, Jamaican OG, both are the original mother plants grown from seed. Off to the right you can see Blue Blood.

0619151220.jpg

If you look closer at the top growth nodes on OG Kush, you can see that it's showing pre-flowers but is still putting on good vegetative growth. I'd like it to flower now since it's a pretty decent sized plant already and I'm going to run low on buds here soon enough, but if I leave it be, with the lengthening days it could go either way and turn into a 7 or 8 foot tall monster eventually, which I don't want. Maybe this is time to try out force flowering. I'll think about it.

0619151227.jpg

When you look closer at Jamaican OG, it's much the same, if maybe a bit more visibly progressed towards flowering.

0619151228.jpg

And Blue Blood is going for it. I have little doubt this ones going to try to flower. I have some thinking to do about this.

0619151222.jpg

My little Red Cherry Berry clone and afterthought certainly is going for it, but is only going to amount to a bud-on-a-stick. Hopefully a tasty one. ;) It'll probably be the only plant I chop for months.

0619151229.jpg

I also transplanted those 2 Jamaican OG clones into their first and final pots yesterday. Both went in a once-used 10 gallon no till LOS mix that I had kept a living mulch growing in full time, now its time for run 2 at this no-till attempt! :yahoo: So I cut most of the living mulch and topped with worm castings to make a nice little humus layer, and watered in with an SST (-I watered all my plants with an SST) made from organic popcorn. :) I added a few more fresh top cover seeds to sprout anew as well.

0619151229a.jpg

0619151229b.jpg

The same catch though; I took these cuttings off the mother while she was starting to put out pre-flowers, just weeks after moving it outside, then I cloned them in 24 hours of light for over 2 weeks. Putting them back out there, I'm not sure whether they'll turn into a bud on a stick like little RCB, or if the sativa in them will pick up on the heating up/lengthening days and decide to fully veg beforehand. I guess we'll just have to see. I really messed up the timetables for this summer grow. :wood:

Anyways, indoors, Dinafem Diesel has made a touch of progress in its re-vegetation.

0619151349.jpg

And here's the lineup under the T5 right now, from left to right, that first Jamaican OG clone to root, White Widow, UltraSour, Cheese, Euphoria, and that pot to the far right has a hopeful Euphoria #2 bean in it. Hope it sprouts!

0619151251.jpg

While I was transplanting the second Jamaican OG clone into its home, behind me I heard *Sniff Sniff*, a slight jingle of a collar, and then - to my horror - the resounding noise of sudden liquid that I wasn't pouring hitting fabric. I turned around to find my constant companion turned traitor, Loki, (a sweet, but mischievous young rottie) attempting to...'assist' in my endeavors by peeing into my freshly transplanted and watered fabric LOS container. :rofl: Having just smoked, I almost knocked both plants over in my scramble to chase him off screaming. He's probably still running LOL. Poor guy. I feel bad, but he needs to learn that these pots are Loki-Pee-Free zones. I think that's a good note to leave on. :laughtwo: :love: :thanks:

Of course Pigeons. :) Glad to have you.

Hi Soilgirl, everytthing is looking awesome!
To prevent your dog from peeing in the pots, you can place a transparent bottle full of water (like an empty soda bottle with the label removed) standing next to the pots and in general any corner where you don't want the doggy to pee. I don't know why it works, but it definitely does!
Best of luck!

A moment of compassion for Sue today. Her husband may be passing.

Sue, you're one of the nicest people I've gotten the pleasure to know online, Idk if I'd be doing this journal without your constant support here. And you're just so professional at journaling and teaching, I can't tell you how much of a difference you've made in my growing. I learn about life from you too.. Thank you. We love you and are here for you, stay strong tonight. :love:

Hi Soilgirl, everytthing is looking awesome!
To prevent your dog from peeing in the pots, you can place a transparent bottle full of water (like an empty soda bottle with the label removed) standing next to the pots and in general any corner where you don't want the doggy to pee. I don't know why it works, but it definitely does!
Best of luck!

That's so weird hahah... but I think I have to try it. ;) Thanks Roach!

And thanks for the compliments too :)

I'm subbed - good to see you back again and from the looks of it you are out of the blocks full steam a head there!! Great job... lets hang in the outdoor garden, throw sum'tin in the smoker kick back and do some burnin!!

7' plants not out of the question - bend em and tie em, show the girls you're the boss lady in da house!

Back
Top Bottom