Spitz Tries His Hand At The Dr. & Some Fruit In Soil!

Spitz

Hello peeps... Spitz here! I've been following the forum and growing "vegetables" with your help for a couple of years. I've recently moved to Colorado and am going to try my hand at some strains for my beautiful wife. We'll get into me, my needs, etc... down the road. For now, here's what I know:

Strains: Dr Grinspoon, Strawberry Cheesecake, Raspberry Cough, and Blueberry
I'll post all the breeder's info later,
medium = soil
Lights = LED

The most important part of success is planning. I have no plan! I'm 8 Mojitos in and decided to pull out some magic beans to say "thanks" to the community by documenting an "average Joe" journal. I'll be growing in a tent under LED. I figure I've got 3 or 4 days to come up with something.

I've got a P450, G8240Bloom, and an XML 650 to choose from. I suspect it will be some form of each of those panels to do the job. Possibly some CFL and maybe even HID.

Seeds hit water 10 minutes ago. Not RO, nor distilled' nor bottled... Just from the tap. Will go shopping for soil tomorrow and plant tomorrow night.

I can promise 2 things.... First: I'll answer every question you ask. Second: I'll harvest too soon. Everything else is fair game.

Wish me luck!

re: Spitz Tries His Hand At The Dr. & Some Fruit In Soil!

I just dropped a Grinspoon yesterday! :thumb:

re: Spitz Tries His Hand At The Dr. & Some Fruit In Soil!

Well... I've got 2 hrs into reading "how to photo upload" tutorials. It's time to take a break before something gets broke. The photo below explains it all. It was my 5th attempt to upload to the gallery. Fuggh
image27642.jpg

Anyway, I found 2 Dr. Grinspoons in the glass this morning. Appropriate number missing from the seed pack. The seeds have been placed in 16 oz cups and Happy Frog soil after 12 hrs soaking in water.

The plan is starting to evolve. I think they are going to spend their entire life under the Advanced XML650 in a 4x4. I've got 1 Girl Scout Cookie, 1 Super Lemon Haze, and 2 Berry/Lowryder autos. All are 22 days above ground and moving along. I had some leaf twisting out of the seed on both autos. New growth looks fantastic.

If I post again, it means I figured out how to upload pics. Will update when they break ground.

It looks like all 5 are starting to break ground. I expect them to be above ground tomorrow and hopefully opened up. I'm not sure if I'm going to put them in the tent with the LED (at about 30" height) or give them a week under cfl. I cant really dial down the intensity as I have 4 in there already. I'll probably put them in the tent tucked in the corners behind some of the bigger plants. I'll post some sideways pics this weekend! Plan is to veg until the day the 2 autos finish and then flip in hopefully less than 60 days. I'll have to top, prune, cut, and weedwack a bunch as I will run out of room. Wish me luck!

Quick update...
image28090.jpg
image28089.jpg

I'm calling July 1st "Day 1". Daytime temperature is 80F and lights off temperature of 73. Humidity hovers around 50%. Light schedule is 17/7. The 2 flowering plants are Autoberry. They also share a tent with a Super Lemon Haze and Girl Scout Cookie. They broke ground on June 5th and look pretty good.

I apologize for the rotated pics. I've ordered a pretty good camera for future use. I guess we all need a hobby! I'll post a real pick right before transplant in a week or so.

All 5 girls look fantastic at about 13 days above ground! It's safe to say they progressed exactly as they should as all 5 look identical in size and growth. The Cannon camera arrived the other day and I'll post pictures this weekend once I figure it out. The 2 autos are flowering nicely. The Super Lemon Haze and Girl Scout Cookie also look fantastic. They are going to be huge by the time I swap to 12/12. I guess that's a good problem to have. Peace people!!!

Good journal great intro...... I grow mainly for my wife also and she took from the plant as needed so that the harvest wasn't to early. We would just take the popcorn buds from the bottom and speed dry those out during the last 2 weeks or so of finishing. It did cut back on our final yield but it suppressed her cheeching habit till harvest. Good looking grow.

Weekend update time...

IMG_050730.JPG

Here is a picture of the general setup. The Advanced LED XML650 hangs in a 4x4 with a 6" carbon filter and inline exhaust. It's going to get real tight in there.
IMG_049826.JPG

A Super Lemon Haze that has been above ground since June 1st.
IMG_049930.JPG

A Girl Scout Cookies above ground since June 1st
IMG_049731.JPG
IMG_050525.JPG

A Berry/Lowrider Auto 1 of 2
IMG_050324.JPG

The other Berry/Lowrider
IMG_050030.JPG

And 3 of the 5 featured girls. They are still pretty boring but moving along nicely. Transplanted all 5 from SOLO cups to 5 Gal this morning. The GSC and SLH were moved from 1 Gal to 5 Gal buckets this morning as well. The 2 Autos were planted in 3 Gal Airpots and will remain there until harvest.

Peace!!

To sum it up...
SLH, GSC, and 2 Autos planted June 1st. The Autos have been getting GH 3 part 1G, 2M, 3B for a couple of feeds now with a splash of Ca/Mg with PPM around 600. The GSC and SLH have gotten only water. I kept them in a 1G to try and slow them down. They're just too big and I got sick of waking up to dry wilted girls and brown leafs. I expect the 5 Gal pots will help considerably.

Strawberry Cheesecake, Raspberry Cough, Blueberry, and 2 Dr Grinspoons planted July 1st. I'll grow them until the autos get cut and flip to 12/12 on that day. I'm guessing 4-6 weeks. Soil is Roots Organic for the transplants. The SOLO cups had Happy Frog and the autos are in Ocean Forest.

Here I go, thanks for the invitation :) I'll watch close.

Guess you don't have a PAR meter :D

No sir... No PAR meter. I immediately looked on Amazon after your post thinking "I'd drop some change for a new toy". That lead to some research and then to "no chance". Any good PAR meter will break down light into spectrum quantity at different wavelengths and likely in a lab. I'm not going to even touch the LUX meters for fear of starting an "apples to oranges" discussion. I can tell you this. From a qualitative perspective, I had 5 seedlings in the corners of the tent (behind big sisters) and none of the 5 stretched at all. I'll feature a few close ups of one of the young ones this weekend. This light has what plants want (at least in this stage). I know ALED has their PAR data on YouTube if you want to look it up. I also read you asked IceMud about the xml vs xte. On another thread I subscribed to. When I called ALED I asked "If money wasn't an issue and it was your tent, would you get 2 XTE panels or 1 XML for a 4x4" His exact response was "you'll get 10% more from the xml then 2 xte panels. Of course, the grower has a huge impact so I am definitely not calling out IceMud for a challenge. I say give them a call and feel them out. Hell, give them all a call and see which try and pass you BS. You already know more than 90% of their callers so you'll be able to read into their "1st 20 sec sales pitch" witch should tell a lot. Anyway... Thanks for tagging along!

Yes I found you also have a P450 panel. So you already grew with that panel then. What results? And what area could you cover well with that panel?

Oh.. And I have grown very satisfactory plants with HPS and PLED to be fair.

"Satisfactory" as in Damn Nice!

Yes I found you also have a P450 panel. So you already grew with that panel then. What results? And what area could you cover well with that panel?

PM sent... IMO, it covers 2'x3' effectively for flower. Every leaf was like a radar panel looking for light. (It was almost "creepy" how they wanted more). My only disappointment was the bleaching of random tops. I won't go in too much deeper because I didn't take pictures for my own reasons and can't validate my statement. My brother just bought 2 P450s for a 3x3 on my recommendation this week. Based that decision on 1 panel being enough for veg and 2 killing it for flower in his space. Fits his needs/space.

got it! and thanks for your review :thumb:

edit: wow, just checked my mailbox. thought I sent a reply yesterday, but it is not there... now I'll write it again.

PM sent... IMO, it covers 2'x3' effectively for flower. Every leaf was like a radar panel looking for light. (It was almost "creepy" how they wanted more). My only disappointment was the bleaching of random tops. I won't go in too much deeper because I didn't take pictures for my own reasons and can't validate my statement. My brother just bought 2 P450s for a 3x3 on my recommendation this week. Based that decision on 1 panel being enough for veg and 2 killing it for flower in his space. Fits his needs/space.

Time for another update...
I really haven't done anything but water since the last update. The new/bigger pots has made a huge difference. I'm open to all and any suggestions... Now for the featured plants:

image29062.jpg

First up are the 2 Dr Grinspoons. They are low yielding sativas that have a reputation for stretching. I'm thinking about topping one of them. We'll see

Back
Top Bottom