Stanks Switch It Up In 2019

Been a really crazy few days here on the Stank farm. The Dogs......damn it man the dogs!!! The boy has officially lost his damn mind! He hadn't eaten for 3 days aside from treats if that. And he has become obsessed with nothing but Luna and getting somma THAT!!!

We can't have them near each other AT ALL, aside from being in their own crates. So we have to play a constant shuffle with them, one inside and one outside and when its time to swap, one goes out the back door while the other runs in the front door. Luna doesn't require any supervision when she's outside alone but I am worried that any other nearby dogs might catch her scent and come visit her. I am hoping she will at least give me a bark as a warning.....so any barks I hear if I am inside, I run out to see what she's barking at.

Since I saw Cooper literally transform before my eyes one night, they haven't had any physical contact between the two of them. Not a lot of rest around here. I finally figure out to get him to eat. I took a bag of food and his dish with me on his walk today....I figured get him away from what was distracting him from wanting to eat and his stomach might take back over. Sure enough, threw that dish down and he was on it.

I have had a bit of time to get work done on the plants during this time. I just bring them up and work on them outside on the deck with the dog and when I'm done, back in the tent they go! We've got a few shots of the outdoor girls in the mean time.....up first are a couple of the Stank Genetics stuff still in small pots. We've got a DTF and a Stankberry male. The Stankberry male is the tall one.

And next up is the DTF next to the Super Silver Haze who is on Veg Day 62 from seed. She's been a breeze to grow and is starting to grow into her big pot.

And now with the Jack Herer from Seedsman

The Jack really continues to impress me. The growth rate outside in the big pot in amazing compared to indoor growth. Here are a few shots of the outdoor Jack's older sister finishing up in flower.

Hard to believe that they were sisters. They were the same size when I flipped the one in flower!

And lastly we have the outdoor Afghani. She's a sister to the Afghani we just chopped last week.....and like the Jacks above, they were two clones and the same size when the indoor girl was flipped. She's gonna be a big girl!!!

That Jack on the right is gorgeous

Thanks Penny, she is a sexy lady for sure! I'm looking forward to seeing her in September!! Kinda wish that I had put her in a bigger pot.

That afghani looks like she will put on a good show too!

Hey Rad.....great to see ya man! Welcome to our humble little slice of grow heaven.

The Afghani is going to put on a heck of a show if she's anything like her mom or sister. One of these days I'm gonna run a couple cuts of her for a hash run. :passitleft:

What do you reckon one of those 20 gallons pots with soil, plant and water weighs? I seriously don't think I could lift one once the plant was in it.
I can lift them and move them.....but only because they have the handles. Its not light....thats for sure. I move them regularly....rotating them 90 degrees daily. They are obviously much heavier after waterings.....since they seem to hold 4-5 gallons of water when I do a full water. That equates to adding about 35-40 lbs to the pot.

Seeing your reply reminded me that I owe you and @dynamo1 the Stank Soil recipe. Found my notebook so here goes!

This batch will generally yield around 50-60 gallons of finished soil depending on the brand of soils, EWC, Coco or Promix you use.

Base items
(2) 1.5 cf bag soil (I use Roots Organic but have also tried Nectar of the Gods as well)
(1) Bag of Coco (2 cf) or Pro Mix or Canadian Spagnum Peat Moss
(1) 30 LB Bag of Earth Worm Castings
(1) .5 cf Bag of Humus (I Use Ancient Forest Alaskan Humus)
.5 cf of BioChar (lots of brands out there or you can make your own...see the tube)
(1) Cup Neem/Karanja Cake (Been having a hard time finding this so feel free to substitute straight Neem Seed Meal)
(2) Cups Crap Meal
(2) Cups Shrimp Meal
(2) Cups Bio-Live (great general use fertilizer as its a combination of several things and is from the brand Down to Earth)
(2) Cups Fish Bone Meal
(2) Cups Langbeinite
(1) Cup Azomite
(1) Cup Alfalfa Meal
(1) Cup Bonemeal
(2) Cups Bio-Fish (from Down to Earth)
(2) Cups Soybean Meal
(1) Cup Glacial Rock Dust
(1) Cup Basalt
(2) Cups Gypsum
(1) Cup Fish Meal
(1) Cup Blood Meal
(3) Cups Greensand (They recently shut down the only Greensand mine opened in the USA, but supposedly Brazil has a mine that is filling the requirements.....but its still tough to find locally but available through the zon)
(1) Cup Seabird Guano
(1) Cup Bat Guano
(2) Cups Feather Meal (Great slow release N that won't burn plants and great for top dressings)
(2) Cups Oyster Shell Flour
(2) Cups Kelp Meal
(.5) Cup Rock Phosphate
(.5) Cup Dolomite Lime
(1) Tablespoon Humic Acid (powder)
(2) Tablespoon Azos (beneficial bacteria....can substitute with whatever is available)
(.5) Cup Mykos
(1) Cup Insect Frass

Doesn't really matter the order you mix anything....just get it good and mixed up. That amount will require about 5 gallons of water to get the cook going properly. Make sure to cook in temps above 70 degrees F for at least 30 days (I prefer waiting 45 when possible). Once cooked....store properly and keep damp and off any concrete floors (Set on pads of foam or something else to insulate from the cold suck).

This will generally get you start to finish with water only if the soil is cooked properly. I keep harping on that because that issue was the culprit in all troubles the last two winters. Soil just wasn't cooking properly down in the basement.

I have eliminated that issue this year by just picking up everything needed to make 200 gallons of our Stank Soil and getting it cooked up this week. Yes its heavy on amendments....too heavy in some people's minds, but when its cooked properly and being used in good environmental conditions, its a top notch soil that will yield heavy and produce top notch flowers.

I don't pH anything or even own a pH pen. All I use when I water my plants is water (rain water is the absolute best) and SNS-209 (systemic treatment against pests...basically just rosemary oil into soil drenches). Occasionally I will also add 1 Tablespoon of Hydrolized Fish/Seaweed Fertilizer (2-3-1) into a 5 gallon bucket of water if I am keeping the plants in small pots for a while. I am a huge fan of most any fish based fertilizer...the plants react immediately when I water it in.

Cheers!!

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I notice the only amendment for aeration would be the biochar. What's the drainage like?

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I notice the only amendment for aeration would be the biochar. What's the drainage like?
There is perlite in the base mix of roots organic soil and then there is the coco which also helps with aeration and drainage. I sometimes add a gallon or two of additional perlite.

As for drainage.....its good. I like the recipe better with coco than with peat moss.

now that I am looking at the pictures, there seems to be quite a bit of perlite.

there's a lot of diversity in the mix. do you amend and re-use?

I like the looks of the Jack. Best of luck!
Great question. I am running a few experiments on my soil. The Jack that you like, was put into un amended used soil (harvested the plant and dumped the soil into 30 gallon trash bin and used without doing anything). The Afghani went into lightly amended soil with 1 week of "cooking" in its 20 gallon bin. The Sour Cherries went into an amended 20 gallon pot immediately after amending.

I am also running a couple other minor more controlled experiments. I have two cuts off a Northern Lights plant that each went into a 3 gallon pot; one in new cooked soil and one into un-amended used soil. I'm going to give them 35 days in those pots and flip and compare yields.

I have two cuts of a Durban that just went into soil.....one in new soil and one in lightly amended used soil.

Really I am trying to find out a couple things.....first is how much steam does my used soil have left in using water only (with occasional fish emulsion fertilizer or ACT), or do I even need to amend it to use it the 2nd time. The second thing I am trying to figure out is the reamendment amounts. I have a couple other outdoor plants that were put into 20 gallon pots with different amounts of amendments. Now I realize each strain will grow differently and have unique usage requirements so its not a fool proof method......and that the used soils will all have varying degrees of their nutrients gone depending on what grew it in previously, but the hope is that as I add strains that I keep around, I will figure out which soil batch/dosage is best for growing each strain. Essentially, I will learn what version of my soil that landrace Sativas like, what version Indicas prefer, hybrids, etc.

I'm trying to figure all these things out with long term goals in mind. I don't think it will tell me much right away.....but the details will pay off in the long run. I already learned that the Sour Cherries wasn't a happy camper going into soil re-amended the same day with no cook time. She was pissy and had burnt leaves for a few weeks. She's going fine now and growing like mad.....but she weren't pleased at the time!!!

I guess the biggest shocker for me is that Jack....and how she's growing in used soil with no re-amending done. She's easily the best growing of the outdoor girls right now. I snapped a couple more pics of her today. Gonna do a little time line show of her today

Hey everybody!!

I know I promised a timeline of the Jack and we will get to at some point today. Been a busy week here on the farm. Spent 3 hours out watering the veggie garden this morning. I was up til almost 2am watering the flower girls. They are starting to really drink. I am having to water them every 2 days now and I'm definitely gonna have my work cut out with this bunch.

Monday we harvested our 2nd run of the notorious Grandpa Glue from @Grandpa Tokin . Man she was a smell girl....much more so than the first time around. Yield was much higher this time as well. Wet weight was a bit over 700 grams which should put my dry weights at 140-175 grams. I'm gonna call it 5 zips tip I get the dry weight.

I can't remember if I posted the final weight on the Afghani, but she came in at 142 grams dried. Thats putting our last two plants at 5 zips each....hitting the ounce per gallon of soil mark that I like to see. Thats telling me our soil issue is a thing of the past and with the warming temps in the basement, it's only looking up from here.

I spent yesterday afternoon playing in the dirt. No really......I did :laugh: . I finally got around to starting the soil mix for the upcoming winter. Normally I mix in single batches which gives me 50-55 gallons generally. I decided to mix a double batch and knock out a good chunk.....it was a great idea in theory.....not so much on the freaking back. Got the 100+ gallons mixed up (Minus EWC, gotta get to the grow store and pick up 60 lbs and add that into the mix) and have it wrapped up and cooking outdoors. That leaves me another 100 gallons to do.....I'll get to that after the grow store run.....I have to pick up a bunch of amendments. 200 gallons should get me through the winter and leave me with a nice start to next years outdoor season. If this year is a good year for us, we might be looking at a greenhouse in our future...maybe not next year but the following year is a definite possibility!

Alright already Stank, throw up a picture for cripes sake. Yes Yes.....Pics, that was what we came here to do, along with get out of the heat for a bit.

First up...

Labyrinth 1.1 (Clone) - Exotic Genetics - Flip Day 15

I am long overdue to do some cleanup work on this wild woman. I'll get around to it in a week or so....I like to let them get through 3 weeks of flower before I start removing anything. She's gonna need some more staking up for sure. This cut frosts like very few strains do.....so should be a good show. She's being grown in a 5 gallon pot.

Alien OG (Clone) - Unknown Breeder - Flip Day 15

Got this cut from a buddy, who got the seeds from a guy in Cali.....sounds like the into to a some corny joke...I know, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Been a breeze to grow, did no training other than topping her. She's growing in a 5 gallon pot as well.

Durban (Reg Seed) - Sensi Seeds - Flip Day 15

Really digging this little beauty. Love the structure on her.....hence why we let her go naturally. I took cuts off her that I will train out a bit, but I really wanted to see how she was gonna turn out on her own. She's also being grown in a 5 gallon pot.....notice the trend? 5 gallon pots are much easier to move than 10s or 15s lol. This one is being grown for Ms Stank....she likes Durban in her capsules.

Killer A5 Haze (Clone) - Ace Seeds - Flip Day 58

This is run two for this cut and she is right on track. Wanna guess what size pot she's being grown in LOL? She's got a sister that was up potted into an 8 gallon pot a week ago that will be getting flipped in a week or two. Its a very popular cut here on the farm, get a lot of work done when it gets puffed.

Just like the 1st time, she didn't like anything added to the water. I sometimes add in a Tablespoon of Fish emulsion fertilizer into a 5 gallon bucket of water and take the bucket down to the tent. I didn't feel like going and getting this fussy feeder her gallon of pure water and just gave her some with the fish fert....and she let me know she didn't like it LOL. Next time I grow her, I'm gonna run her 2nd run soil that doesn't get amended and see how she likes that. I don't mind the burnt up leaves...but now ya know why they are there!

Jack Herer (Clone) - Seedsman - Flip Day 50

This is the sister cut to the big girl thats outside in the 20 that we will be doing the timeline photo post later. She seems to be finishing faster than the first time she was run when I took her to 70 days. I haven't run any buds under a scope yet....I usually wait til they slow their drinking down and this one is still chugging so on she goes!

Yesterdays Fun

Doing the double batch for the first time....I mixed a single batch worth up first.......

Got it all mixed up.....and then watered in about 5 gallons of water....

And then we start adding in everything for the second batch of 50 gallons.......

Just repeated the process again for the additional batch. I learned it doesn't matter if you do a single batch or a double batch....mixing this stuff is not fun. This is where all my work is.....this is where I pay for not having to mix nutrients, pH solutions, deal with run off, or any of the other tedious stuff alot of other growers deal with. This is my tedious work....after this, its literally just add water.

Back
Top Bottom