Stanks Switch It Up In 2019

Alright....time for a quick update. Labyrinth is down and hung along with the Afghani and Grandpa Glue. Gonna need a longer hanging line here soon. The flower tent finally has a bit of breathing room in it.

Did a bit of catching up on the IPM. Sprayed a lot of smaller veg clones as well as the GDP. I did a big fan leaf removal on all the GDPs prior to that, so they now look like a shaved wet cat LOL. Was gonna take pics but I will give them a day to recover. I haven't topped them yet.....gonna do that on the same day that I up-pot them.

Some of you might remember I tested the "top and transplant at the same time" on the Labyrinth and she reacted phenomenally to it. So gonna do it to all 4 GDPs and see how they react. I think what I will do is give them about 5 days in the new pot and soil before flipping. Gonna have Ms Stank take a peek at them one more time and see if she can identify their naughty bits!

I peeked in on the Balls Deep girls and they seem to be doing good getting used to the new pot and soil. Waiting to see that growth explosion when the roots get tied into that new soil.

I've never ever ever stressed over transplanting
Veggies,weed, or dead bodies in my basement,they always respond well

I'm a firm believer transplanting stimulates growth when you crunch up, tear, remove, roots and put em in new pots

So to say topping and transplanting they did fine, I'm not surprised at all

I had always heard it was best to do them at different times.....but I always like to test those theories for validity. I certainly didn't see any negatives from it the only time I did it. I usually top earlier if I am not in observation mode so the timing with up potting doesn't usually align.

No action on the Durban or Sour Pineapple yet......still early so no worries. I haven't been down to check on the GDP yet this morning to see how they bounced back from their hair cut and bath yesterday. Man they went from looking regal with these great big old fat shiney fan leaves, to just a scrawny skeleton plant dripping wet. All I could think of was a sour looking wet cat when I looked at them.

I was scrolling back through a bunch of pics from the past batch of ladies and realized I slacked big time on hair cuts on the ladies. I will make sure I am a bit better with that going forward. I cleaned up a couple of the reveg clones that were out of hand and I have a few more to do today as well. I also have some more spraying to do today. I will say this....a good sprayer makes keeping up with IPM much easier and not such a daunting task. Spend the money on a good tool and make your life easier!

I agree on the sprayer tip. Back when I had a bigger sealed room I used an atomizer and would spray the whole garden in a minute or two and the coverage was insane. Now I’m on the pump sprayer which are perfect for grow tents and such.
sounds like lots of cool things coming up in the stank farm.
cheers vanstank

I had always heard it was best to do them at different times.....but I always like to test those theories for validity. I certainly didn't see any negatives from it the only time I did it. I usually top earlier if I am not in observation mode so the timing with up potting doesn't usually align.

No action on the Durban or Sour Pineapple yet......still early so no worries. I haven't been down to check on the GDP yet this morning to see how they bounced back from their hair cut and bath yesterday. Man they went from looking regal with these great big old fat shiney fan leaves, to just a scrawny skeleton plant dripping wet. All I could think of was a sour looking wet cat when I looked at them.

I was scrolling back through a bunch of pics from the past batch of ladies and realized I slacked big time on hair cuts on the ladies. I will make sure I am a bit better with that going forward. I cleaned up a couple of the reveg clones that were out of hand and I have a few more to do today as well. I also have some more spraying to do today. I will say this....a good sprayer makes keeping up with IPM much easier and not such a daunting task. Spend the money on a good tool and make your life easier!
Ahoy my friend. Thank you for your gracious invitation to visit your garden.
I noticed your ongoing commentary on "top and transplant" and I wholly agree with Mr. Scorpio and have documented the practice of same day "top n tote" in my runs as a matter of practice. It could be the plant may overall benefit from one stressed day, compared with two separate stressed days. But this practice of topping and up potting simultaneously, I consider normal and safe.

Look forward to catching up in this journal bit by bit. :)

I've never ever ever stressed over transplanting
Veggies,weed, or dead bodies in my basement,they always respond well

I'm a firm believer transplanting stimulates growth when you crunch up, tear, remove, roots and put em in new pots

So to say topping and transplanting they did fine, I'm not surprised at all
Just like tomatoes pinch the end lightly roughing them and finger score the sides gently! Never had a issue actually the opposite for me, they always seem to sprout right up :passitleft: Also a good check to make sure the bodies are still cold:rofl:

Congrats on your harvests. Always nice to have to worry about the length of your hanging rope.... errr that sounds weird. lol

Ok I always love it when I gotta get another rope for hanging the ladies.....

I'm going skiing now.

Ahoy my friend. Thank you for your gracious invitation to visit your garden.
I noticed your ongoing commentary on "top and transplant" and I wholly agree with Mr. Scorpio and have documented the practice of same day "top n tote" in my runs as a matter of practice. It could be the plant may overall benefit from one stressed day, compared with two separate stressed days. But this practice of topping and up potting simultaneously, I consider normal and safe.

Look forward to catching up in this journal bit by bit. :)
Hey Maritimer....glad you swung by.

I generally top a bit earlier in the cycle when I am growing for yield so its usually topped before any up potting. But I have kind of been in observation mode, with letting the plants grow naturally without me altering the growth pattern. Thats allowing me to top a bit later in the cycle which presented the opportunity to try the "top and transplant". I always like to challenge the recognized "do this and it will help" or the "do this and it will hurt" theories and come to my own conclusion. I can say it certainly didn't hurt the process.

I up potted a male and female GDP this weekend and topped them both at that time. Gonna see what they do! :ganjamon:
Still waiting on the other two GDPs to show me their preflowers. Don't want to waste the soil on another male or two if I don't have to. The male that showed his preflower was the one I was hoping was a male and the one I am going to use for some crosses I would like to try.

Congrats on your harvests. Always nice to have to worry about the length of your hanging rope.... errr that sounds weird. lol

Ok I always love it when I gotta get another rope for hanging the ladies.....

I'm going skiing now.
Thanks brother! Finished getting everything thing into jars this weekend. Man harvesting just kills my neck and shoulders anymore.....gotta get to the Doc and get this looked at. Been 2.5 months since I jacked it up and its getting worse. Don't think the answer lies in smoking more pot LOL. I didn't want to look at my laptop or a cell phone for the last couple days.....looking down is so freaking painful anymore. Its getting to be very uncomfortable just to sit anymore...definitely not good, but whatcha gonna do right?

So the final numbers are in for the Afghani, Gorilla Glue and Labyrinth.

Afghani - 120 grams (not counting testers) - 7 gallon pot

Gorilla Glue #4 - 108 grams (not counting testers) - 5 gallon pot

Labyrinth - 155 grams (not counting testers) - 8 gallon pot

None of those numbers are in the range I am used to seeing but we will get there. I knew yields would go down a good bit growing in 55-57 degree temps. When growing in good environmental conditions, I generally see about 30 grams per gallon of soil on good yielding strains. I think my best to date has been 37 grams per gallon. The good news is that the cold temps should only persist for a couple more months.

Ms Stank and I started working on the basement a bit. We ripped out all the old insulation (Yuck) in the basement ceiling. Going to start insulating all the pipes down there. They were a source of constant condensation in the warmer months. Then I gotta start cleaning up and labeling all the wiring down there. There isn't a whole lot we can do in the basement until we know the work we had done has solved our water issue down there.....but we will do as much of the little stuff as we can until then. We still have a lot of planning left to do. Just gotta get this neck/shoulder issue looked at.

I like all your experiments Stank. The pollinate early when the girls are just showing a bit of pre flower on the stalks has been one of my favorites. There are mad techniques out there and sifting through them all to find the best can be insane. But always like to see people try everything .o_O
Thanks Kismet....I do enjoy trying all those different things. Pollinating vegging plants is definitely a gem....but the trick or difficult part of that is vegging them long enough so that they have sufficient preflowers showing to pollinate. Doing it for 6 or 8 seeds isn't going to be worth it (At least for me). But if you veg them big enough, you can get a good 50-100 preflower sites that will accept pollen....then get your full plant of bud with no seeds afterwards!

Hey Maritimer....glad you swung by.

I generally top a bit earlier in the cycle when I am growing for yield so its usually topped before any up potting. But I have kind of been in observation mode, with letting the plants grow naturally without me altering the growth pattern. Thats allowing me to top a bit later in the cycle which presented the opportunity to try the "top and transplant". I always like to challenge the recognized "do this and it will help" or the "do this and it will hurt" theories and come to my own conclusion. I can say it certainly didn't hurt the process.
Glad to hear the gardener in you saying "prove it". I question many of the anecdotal practices, even when they are successful. It upsets some from time to time, but a Professor Emeritus of Biology at Cornwell told me directly "the surest way to understand the botany of cannabis, is to empirically challenge what the botanist tell you about cannabis". He was telling me to research what is known, then set out to prove it valid. Great advice if you ask me.

Good luck with your breeding. Light years ahead of my prowess.

Back
Top Bottom