Stoney's First Journal: Cheap Tents & LEDs With High Brix Blend - Fall 2018

Beautiful plants and peppers. Stoney on your Sherbert did you just take your smaller fabric pots and upot into a bigger pot twice? Did you leave the fabric intact and just put soil around the outside? I'm vegging a bcp right now. I'm going to take and seat over here and pass this around.:passitleft:

Beautiful plants and peppers. Stoney on your Sherbert did you just take your smaller fabric pots and upot into a bigger pot twice? Did you leave the fabric intact and just put soil around the outside? I'm vegging a bcp right now. I'm going to take and seat over here and pass this around.:passitleft:
I would just put the fabric pot right into the larger pot and fill with soil, the roots will grow right through. I'm currently using plastic pots so obviously I'm not doing that now.

I would just put the fabric pot right into the larger pot and fill with soil, the roots will grow right through. I'm currently using plastic pots so obviously I'm not doing that now.
Thanks Neiko I have thought about doing that before but haven't so glad to know. I have some in veg that I want to up pot so I'm going to use this method as I use fabric after the 1 qts plastic. My Bcp is in 5 gal now but think I will definitely up pot it like that.

Thanks Neiko I have thought about doing that before but haven't so glad to know. I have some in veg that I want to up pot so I'm going to use this method as I use fabric after the 1 qts plastic. My Bcp is in 5 gal now but think I will definitely up pot it like that.

Neiko's right--and that's absolutely what I would do if I wasn't so concerned with getting more uses out of my fabric pots. My method damages the roots a bit, but I just coat them Roots! powder and they don't seem too much worse for it afterwards.

On this plant, I went from 1 gal hard plastic (2 mo) , into 7 gal hard plastic (1mo), into 20 gal fabric. Lost a few branches outside in the wind, otherwise she might have taken up a full 50%+ of this tent!

For uppotting fabrics, I'll take a ruler, and wait for the soil to be really good and dry. When I say 'good and dry', I mean the soil is pulling itself away from the fabric liner. If you've never dried it out that much, try it--the plant won't wilt before it gets to the point I'm talking about, at least with our Kit soil. The soil will be tight and together, and the fabric loosely attached to whatever roots around the outside.

So when it's good n dry, I'll run that ruler gently around the inside of the fabric between the soil and the pot and seprate whatever roots maybe left connecting the two. Thanks to wet/dry routines, the roots tend to stay nice and fine, so breaking them is an easy task when it's dry. Then gently carefully peel the bottom of the bag away using your fingertips, and with some doing, you should be able to pull it out the bag keeping the rootball entirely intact. I then dust it heavily with Roots!, drop her into the bigger pot, and apply Transplant Drench.

Fabric pots help me maintain my environment much better, stabilizing temps and humidity better for me, but the hassle of up-potting in this way can be a major deterrent. Always on the lookout for a better method--if you don't mind sacraficing the pot, putting it straight in is a surefire way to have a seamless up-potting.

Neiko's right--and that's absolutely what I would do if I wasn't so concerned with getting more uses out of my fabric pots. My method damages the roots a bit, but I just coat them Roots! powder and they don't seem too much worse for it afterwards.

On this plant, I went from 1 gal hard plastic (2 mo) , into 7 gal hard plastic (1mo), into 20 gal fabric. Lost a few branches outside in the wind, otherwise she might have taken up a full 50%+ of this tent!

For uppotting fabrics, I'll take a ruler, and wait for the soil to be really good and dry. When I say 'good and dry', I mean the soil is pulling itself away from the fabric liner. If you've never dried it out that much, try it--the plant won't wilt before it gets to the point I'm talking about, at least with our Kit soil. The soil will be tight and together, and the fabric loosely attached to whatever roots around the outside.

So when it's good n dry, I'll run that ruler gently around the inside of the fabric between the soil and the pot and seprate whatever roots maybe left connecting the two. Thanks to wet/dry routines, the roots tend to stay nice and fine, so breaking them is an easy task when it's dry. Then gently carefully peel the bottom of the bag away using your fingertips, and with some doing, you should be able to pull it out the bag keeping the rootball entirely intact. I then dust it heavily with Roots!, drop her into the bigger pot, and apply Transplant Drench.

Fabric pots help me maintain my environment much better, stabilizing temps and humidity better for me, but the hassle of up-potting in this way can be a major deterrent. Always on the lookout for a better method--if you don't mind sacraficing the pot, putting it straight in is a surefire way to have a seamless up-potting.
Thank you Stoney that ruler is a great tip. I just came from hydro and going to up pot tomorrow into 15 gal.

I have used the Fabric as well, Never considered just planting them :) that would of been so much easier :thanks:

My method was to just cut a slit down the side in 2 places and peal off the pot. (Good deals on 1g fabric)
I went back to plastic after having issues with to much air pruning also the bigger
Fabric pots were trouble as I would disturb the soil when moving them around,
Not easy when just watered, I lifted them by the fabric

EDIT: I have seen some put the larger Fabric in the square plastic MILK Crates to support when
moving, I also found I needed to use a larger 2g felt to get a 1 gal pot size root system with the
air pruning it seemed to work better (felt like the air pruning was holding them back in the small 1g)

You can also just flip the plant upside down and have a helper hold the trunk of the plant and grab the bottom of the pot and give a quick jerk straight up and it will come right off. When I would just transplant the smaller fabric pot into the bigger one I didn't lose it forever. At harvest just break up the rootball and recover your smaller pot.

You can also just flip the plant upside down and have a helper hold the trunk of the plant and grab the bottom of the pot and give a quick jerk straight up and it will come right off. When I would just transplant the smaller fabric pot into the bigger one I didn't lose it forever. At harvest just break up the rootball and recover your smaller pot.

Nice!

But Neiko...there's this thing.....I ain't got no friends! :confused:

:p

"When I would just transplant the smaller fabric pot into the bigger one I didn't lose it forever. At harvest just break up the rootball and recover your smaller pot."

Good to know. I've only done it a few times, and had a noticed the smartpot felt a little less formidable, so I thought, "screw it, I'll just pull it out now". I'll give it another go with one of these BCPs coming up!

2 for 2 dude, I'll try both of these suggestions.

:thanks:

An update on the ladies: BCP were topped at the 5th node, and have been given Transplant Drench, and Growth Ionic Drench one time each now over the past week. They got water here, this last time they dried out. They're starting to drink faster...

Blueberry Trainwreck was also topped at the 5th node. Apologies for the LED lighting coming through, got lazy zipping the tent up before the photo. Like the Black Cherry Punch, this is in a 1gal fabric pot, under LEDs.

Then there's the Devil's Carnival--I sprouted this one outside in a 1 gal, and recently transplanted it into this 3gal pot and brought her inside. I hope it's a her, but her sheer age at this point tells me the ruderalis in her is minimal, at best. "She's" going on 80 days old now or so--but she had a cold, slow start, so we'll see....would be nice to have a female, 100% photo-period pheno of this one....

Now, to the Flower Tent--in my efforts to forever experiment, I decided to try a massive defol in week 3 of flower with these ladies. Sherbet, 'Toms Tangie', and Spacer Auto all lost a lot of leaves. Note--Doc does not recommend anywhere near this level of defoliation. I just saw some folks talking about the merits of 'schwazzing', and can't help myself when it comes to experimentation.

To be honest, it looks like the Sherbet slowed down a bit, and perhaps didn't take the hit so well. This morning was the first time I thought, "Maybe she's starting to come back". This strain finishes FAST in our kit soil, and I think the pruning slowed me down a full 10 days, maybe more. We'll see.

The Malawi x Tangie OG cross loved it however! Don't mind the odd training with this one--it's just the way she came out, hah!

Finally, there's the Spacer Auto--what a great plant. Has responded really well to all of Doc's products, and I'm loving the smell--a little bit of Jack making it's way through on the nose...love it!

And a group shot:

That's it for now folks, more to come later this week. Cheers! :passitleft:

No worries on the Devils Carnival, Stoney - they're all females.

It's a Carnival fem, pollinated by a reversed DDA fem. Then a non-auto F1 selfed (partially reversed) to get these F2s. So far, they come out 1/4 auto and 1/4 purple. Yours is clearly not an auto. :)

They're all fast. I've harvested 6 of them and all the photos, even a heavy Carnival leaner, came in at 8 weeks past flip. None of them stretched much more than double, so take your time with training.

:goodluck:

[Edit] Oh, and they're F2s, so ... box-o-chocolates. :) I haven't had two of them come out the same yet. So far, I've had 2 unimpressive budsicles, an amazing Key Lime photo (ask Doc if he remembers the aroma), a near-copy of Carnival (DC3), a beautiful magenta/purple dark-fruity one (DC2), and I'm chopping DC4 which is fruity with a touch of pink in the lower buds, like DC3. One of the budsicles was purple. DC4 has photoperiod issues - the cut budded under 20/4 before finally vegging after a few weeks. DC6 looks like it'll have buds like DDA with the inner parts turning purple from the start.

You should be able to count on strong fruity terps, and the high has been fairly consistent - speedy Carnival buzz with a warm enveloping comfort from the DDA. :slide:

No worries on the Devils Carnival, Stoney - they're all females.

It's a Carnival fem, pollinated by a reversed DDA fem. Then a non-auto F1 selfed (partially reversed) to get these F2s. So far, they come out 1/4 auto and 1/4 purple. Yours is clearly not an auto. :)

They're all fast. I've harvested 6 of them and all the photos, even a heavy Carnival leaner, came in at 8 weeks past flip. None of them stretched much more than double, so take your time with training.

:goodluck:

woohoo!!!

:theband::yahoo:

Can't tell you how happy that makes me. Love both of the parent strains!

Back
Top Bottom