Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

General Update

Greetings good 420 folks! I was going to do an update yesterday but my brother bought a fishing drone, so instead we went and tried it out. Wow usually when we go fishing we just end up feeding the fish and coming home empty handed but with the drone we caught Snapper on every 'cast', got 4 good ones to bring home and the smaller ones were released. Still buzzing over how effective it was, but now back to gardening!

With the Mulanje, I am pretty convinced I have 1 male and 1 female. Which altho I am greedy for buds, I am really pleased that now I should be able to get some pollen from the male and make some landrace Mulanje seeds. With so many hybrids these days, this landrace strain is too good to squander!

I also switched the female Mulanje (#2) to the bigger 50L/13gallon pot that the now suspected male was in. The suspected male Mulanje is now in a smaller 30L/8gallon pot that I will soon remove from the balcony and put it somewhere discrete in the garden where it can hopefully produce it's pollen without attracting attention.

The 2 seedlings are now young plants and will be soon be ready to be up-potted. Currently I cannot ascertain what their gender is, but I will put a 'node' pic of each up for reference. They were a bit late being germinated so I may not top them, but use LST instead, altho I'd like to see the sign of gender first.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras (regular)

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje (regular)

Mulanje #1 (suspected male)

Mulanje #2 (female)

That's it for now, thanks for dropping in, and may your gardens be lush and blooming!:ganjamon:
nice girls bro

Yes.

I give you this:
full

and later, this:

full

(Note: the brown on the buds is from overly aggressive droughting near the end.)
You saying you did that with that plant and this box of buds was the result? Damn. Nice surgery there.

General update - final pots for all and segregation of the male

Greeting 420 folks, since the last update I have moved the 2 younger plants to their final pots with a nice mulch layer on top with some trellis netting to stop the birds kicking it up looking for worms. I must say, it was a shonky up-potting, the soil was dry and 95% fell off the roots which got pretty roughly treated in the transfer to be honest. However, these plants can usually take a lot, and I expect them settle in fine. There has been some strong winds whipping them about, so a couple of leaves have some minor beat up damage from the wind.

I also moved the (suspected) male Mulanje to the back of the house to keep him separate from the girls until I give him the nod in case he's getting frisky.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

I didn't do a kind job with the up-potting, but it seems largely ok. I am unable to find any indication of gender from the node closeup.

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

This one also seems fine, and similarly, I as yet cannot tell from the node closeup what it's gender could be.

Mulanje (suspected) male

'He' has been shifted to the back yard. I did a bit of shifting, took a bit of a risk with my hernia but hopefully managed to avoid making it worse.

Mulanje female

She is starting pick up her growth. We'll see where we are in a month's time.

I'll combine this with a couple of replies.
I no longer picture you as a 130kg Māori
Haha, I would say I could lift them fine, but now with an inguinal hernia I am a bit hobbled for big pot gymnastics! Shifting just the 30L/8 gallon pot in one go from upstairs to backyard without putting it down for fear of dropping soil thru the house and getting caught by the wife was a bit of a grit and squeeze mission. I am glad I didn't have to do that with the bigger 50L/13 gallon pot.
nice girls bro
Thanks Dust!
Yeah it's a dude. That crab claw is a give away. Happy pollinating when you Get there
Cheers Lerugged, yep that crab claw appearance pretty much confirms it for me. Anyway, I wanted Mulanje pollen!

:morenutes:

That was a pictorial update of where we are at this stage of the game. I'll be looking to keep on the LST training and supercropping as it's needed, and most likely I will start some foliar feeding again as my plants in the previous grows seemed to like that. Then of course it'll be pest management time very soon!

Anyway, thanks for dropping in. Be well, keep safe, may your gardens be blooming, and if they're already harvested then I hope you're all enjoying some lovely buds of your own crafting!

:ganjamon:

The 2 young ones appear to have tolerated the rough transplant pretty well, and the bigger ones look nice n healthy... it's going to be another great balcony grow!
That'll be pretty cool if you end up getting some seeds outa the deal!

Greeting 420 folks, since the last update I have moved the 2 younger plants to their final pots with a nice mulch layer on top with some trellis netting to stop the birds kicking it up looking for worms. I must say, it was a shonky up-potting, the soil was dry and 95% fell off the roots which got pretty roughly treated in the transfer to be honest. However, these plants can usually take a lot, and I expect them settle in fine. There has been some strong winds whipping them about, so a couple of leaves have some minor beat up damage from the wind.

I also moved the (suspected) male Mulanje to the back of the house to keep him separate from the girls until I give him the nod in case he's getting frisky.

I didn't do a kind job with the up-potting, but it seems largely ok. I am unable to find any indication of gender from the node closeup.

This one also seems fine, and similarly, I as yet cannot tell from the node closeup what it's gender could be.

Mulanje (suspected) male

'He' has been shifted to the back yard. I did a bit of shifting, took a bit of a risk with my hernia but hopefully managed to avoid making it worse.

Mulanje female

Haha, I would say I could lift them fine, but now with an inguinal hernia I am a bit hobbled for big pot gymnastics! Shifting just the 30L/8 gallon pot in one go from upstairs to backyard without putting it down for fear of dropping soil thru the house and getting caught by the wife was a bit of a grit and squeeze mission. I am glad I didn't have to do that with the bigger 50L/13 gallon pot.

Thanks Dust!

Cheers Lerugged, yep that crab claw appearance pretty much confirms it for me. Anyway, I wanted Mulanje pollen!

That was a pictorial update of where we are at this stage of the game. I'll be looking to keep on the LST training and supercropping as it's needed, and most likely I will start some foliar feeding again as my plants in the previous grows seemed to like that. Then of course it'll be pest management time very soon!

Anyway, thanks for dropping in. Be well, keep safe, may your gardens be blooming, and if they're already harvested then I hope you're all enjoying some lovely buds of your own crafting!

Hello stunger!
Great garden I'm loving your post. though I may be a bit biased, Mulanje is
my all time favorite African to grow. I am currently running some now myself, inside and out.
I will definitely be keeping an eye you your so far terrific progress!

Merry Christmas to you and the family, Stunger!

The 2 young ones appear to have tolerated the rough transplant pretty well, and the bigger ones look nice n healthy... it's going to be another great balcony grow!
That'll be pretty cool if you end up getting some seeds outa the deal!
This morning they looked a bit more 'perked up' so that's a good sign that they're ok. Hopefully all good ahead!

As for seeds, I have made regulars before which quite frankly saved my bacon when a number of seed orders got seized. But if I can do the same with the landrace Mulanje I'll be chuffed, I feel these are ones to save pure.
The transplanting looks great, these are tough plants. Glad to hear you got the male you wanted.
Merry Christmas
Thanks stinker, I am greedy for buds, but at the same time I am happy to pollinate a stem or three to make some seeds, I am excited about these.
Merry Christmas to you and your's, all the best.
Hello stunger!
Great garden I'm loving your post. though I may be a bit biased, Mulanje is
my all time favorite African to grow. I am currently running some now myself, inside and out.
I will definitely be keeping an eye you your so far terrific progress!
Hi tropics, that is great to know that you are biased for Mulanje! This is my first time growing it. I'd love to hear what makes it your favourite strain. If you have a grow journal going you should put the link in your signature.
Merry Christmas to you and the family, Stunger!
Thanks Carcass, wishing all the best to you and yours too!

This morning they looked a bit more 'perked up' so that's a good sign that they're ok. Hopefully all good ahead!

As for seeds, I have made regulars before which quite frankly saved my bacon when a number of seed orders got seized. But if I can do the same with the landrace Mulanje I'll be chuffed, I feel these are ones to save pure.

Thanks stinker, I am greedy for buds, but at the same time I am happy to pollinate a stem or three to make some seeds, I am excited about these.
Merry Christmas to you and your's, all the best.

Hi tropics, that is great to know that you are biased for Mulanje! This is my first time growing it. I'd love to hear what makes it your favourite strain. If you have a grow journal going you should put the link in your signature.

Thanks Carcass, wishing all the best to you and yours too!
Hey bud!
Just to be clear I don't have any specific links that I can post because my PM has been seized on here so I have to be careful with anyone I refer to, including myself haha because I am not a supporter of this site.
I also did not want to hijack your thread but I would be happy to post pics here if cool with you. But also I have a few top favorite strains from different regions of the world , but Mulanje is my favorite from Africa since it is one that could cripple even the most seasoned toker. haha
It produces great for pure sativa and matures quickly for a landrace, and the taste! creamy yumminess. Again if you alow me to post pics here I would be very pleased.
But great for you on your Mulanje journey.
Happy Holidays!!!

Hey tropics, yeah I don't want the thread hijacked but I'd like to see some pics of your Mulanje plants! How would you describe the effects of Mulanje? I'd love to hear what you rate highly from elsewhere (too many choices and not enough years left to test them). All the best!

Hey tropics, yeah I don't want the thread hijacked but I'd like to see some pics of your Mulanje plants! How would you describe the effects of Mulanje? I'd love to hear what you rate highly from elsewhere (too many choices and not enough years left to test them). All the best!
When you have a good hit off a real joint of Mulanje you will feel it before the joint leaves your lips! HAHA! your lips could feel numb and the creamy sweetness just stays on your tongue. The high will hit with a powerful rush, sometimes it can feel racy and a bit trippy. my sister said she felt like she was on a high speed elevator that just reached its floor and it all levels off to a super upbeat high that lasts, and the come down is very smooth and easy no bad effect. Oh and she puts out fat tight nugs for a pure Sativa.
My favorite strain is from Mexico, it is Oaxacan I have been growing since 1979, she is the backbone of all of my breeding work. Then Baglung Nepali for her purple fruitiness and super early harvest. Federations Hawaiian Sativa for lot of reasons. Big Sur Holy weed.
My favorite Indica is limited but I love Williams Wonder.
bellow Mulanje pics

MULANJE SHORT CUT FL HARVEST 078.JPG

MULANJE SHORT CUT FL HARVEST 055.JPG

MULANJE 9 MONTH CURE 026.JPG

MULANJE 028.JPG

MULANJE GOLD SHORT BUD HAVEST 047.JPG

When you have a good hit off a real joint of Mulanje you will feel it before the joint leaves your lips! HAHA! your lips could feel numb and the creamy sweetness just stays on your tongue. The high will hit with a powerful rush, sometimes it can feel racy and a bit trippy. my sister said she felt like she was on a high speed elevator that just reached its floor and it all levels off to a super upbeat high that lasts, and the come down is very smooth and easy no bad effect. Oh and she puts out fat tight nugs for a pure Sativa.
My favorite strain is from Mexico, it is Oaxacan I have been growing since 1979, she is the backbone of all of my breeding work. Then Baglung Nepali for her purple fruitiness and super early harvest. Federations Hawaiian Sativa for lot of reasons. Big Sur Holy weed.
My favorite Indica is limited but I love Williams Wonder.
bellow Mulanje pics

MULANJE SHORT CUT FL HARVEST 078.JPG

MULANJE SHORT CUT FL HARVEST 055.JPG

MULANJE 9 MONTH CURE 026.JPG

MULANJE 028.JPG

MULANJE GOLD SHORT BUD HAVEST 047.JPG
That sounds most enticing, lovely looking colas on the Mulanje, thanks for showing them! And thanks for mentioning your other favourites, to think that I spent time in many places including Oaxaca in the 1980's, and at the time I wasn't thinking of seeds and strains, such a shame when I think about it now!

Update - Navel gazing and node gazing

It's summer breezes, sunshine and blue sky here today, there will be a lot of navel gazing on the beach but I'm still gazing at the nodes to try and tell what gender my plants are. The Mulanje I think is clear, one of each. But the other two are still not showing anything that I can use to suggest what they are.

Mulanje #1 (suspected male)

Mulanje female

Seasons greetings to all in the great community of 420!

Wishing everyone all the best. Keep safe and well. :surf:

That sounds most enticing, lovely looking colas on the Mulanje, thanks for showing them! And thanks for mentioning your other favourites, to think that I spent time in many places including Oaxaca in the 1980's, and at the time I wasn't thinking of seeds and strains, such a shame when I think about it now!
Ah you are most welcome! Looks like you have a lovely couple there.
great progress pics. Oh and how many hours of daylight are you getting there now?

Ah you are most welcome! Looks like you have a lovely couple there.
great progress pics. Oh and how many hours of daylight are you getting there now?
We're in the first month of summer so 14+ hours of sunshine, but on the balcony the plants only start getting the sun after the midday, and then to sunset. It isn't ideal and hopefully these sativas will be able to make do, I expect they will in some manner.

Mulanje (suspected) male

Mulanje female

Thanks Dust!

Hey Stunger, Merry Christmas a day late. Nice work. So those crab claws are male indicators? Ok. I was wondering, it sounds like you get pests as a matter of course. Do you get particular ones and have a particular fix for them?

I feel these are ones to save pure.
I wish more people felt this way. There are so many questionable hybrids being produced, of such questionable value, and so little pure, natural cannabis to be had. My hat's off to you.

Stunger wrote: "...to think that I spent time in many places including Oaxaca in the 1980's, and at the time I wasn't thinking of seeds and strains, such a shame when I think about it now!"

I could start a seed bank with all the Thai and Colombian and Mexican and Hawaiian and African and Jamaican and Panamanian seeds I threw away in the '70s! Makes me sad to think about. Who knew that equatorial sativas would one day be unavailable, to be replaced by a genetic train wreck of indica hybrids?

Back
Top Bottom