Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

With that many hours you are going to have bushes I flower mine at 11.5 hours light inside and my seedlings outside are now at 10.5 hours. The UV of the sun you have there will help preserve the intensity of the strain I suspect.
I don't really have any options to give them different. I do wish they had all day sun, but as they say, beggars can't choosers!
Hey Stunger, Merry Christmas a day late. Nice work. So those crab claws are male indicators? Ok. I was wondering, it sounds like you get pests as a matter of course. Do you get particular ones and have a particular fix for them?
Hey Jon, Merry Christmas to you too. I hope you enjoyed a lovely time.
Regarding identifying males, I am no expert, but when I have looked closely at the developing gender structure at the nodes. I feel often the males have a sort of curved 'shuck' that seems to cover their pollen balls. Some folk refer to this as being 'crab claw' like. So when I see this it raises a red flag. I have to say, the 'seeing' of these clearly is the challenge!

As for pests, I don't have a clear fix for them, I just try my best with things like insecticide soap, Neem, and BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) for caterpillars.
I wish more people felt this way. There are so many questionable hybrids being produced, of such questionable value, and so little pure, natural cannabis to be had. My hat's off to you.

Stunger wrote: "...to think that I spent time in many places including Oaxaca in the 1980's, and at the time I wasn't thinking of seeds and strains, such a shame when I think about it now!"

I could start a seed bank with all the Thai and Colombian and Mexican and Hawaiian and African and Jamaican and Panamanian seeds I threw away in the '70s! Makes me sad to think about. Who knew that equatorial sativas would one day be unavailable, to be replaced by a genetic train wreck of indica hybrids?
Thanks Spark! I guess there are many many hybrids about, many great ones too of course, but they probably tend to be at the expense of diminishing landrace strains. I feel extremely lucky to be growing these Mulanje, and I do feel it is my responsibility to try to use the opportunity to make some more seeds from them. I still don't know the gender of the other 2 sativa but I will chop any that show they are male, the only male I want to keep is the Mulanje which I have already isolated. If all goes well I would no doubt selectively pollinate and cross him with the others too, but I very much want to make some pure Mulanje offspring for prosperity. Cheers.

Update - Gender checking - node closeups

Greeting 420 folks! Today, I have again been looking closely at the nodes to see if there are any signs of gender showing. I couldn't discern anything to go by, but I have put some of the pics below if anyone else thinks they can see anything, and also as a reference for referring to for the next grow.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

Best wishes to all :hookah:

I don't think they want you to know...because they sure aren't showing anything, at least not yet...
But whatever they turn out to be, they're gonna be damn healthy!

Yes, very hard to tell. Though there might be some bumps forming on the last photo of the Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras, at the base of the stigma.

Funny, how some female plants (regular or feminized) grown from seed outdoors (germinated 1st week May) send out pistils just before solstice. At that point the daylength has reached maximum and levelled off and stays about the same for a week or so before starting to shorten. For example, this year I saw pistils on two plants on June 19. Other plants of different strains took much longer.

Funny, how some female plants (regular or feminized) grown from seed outdoors (germinated 1st week May) send out pistils just before solstice. At that point the daylength has reached maximum and levelled off and stays about the same for a week or so before starting to shorten. For example, this year I saw pistils on two plants on June 19. Other plants of different strains took much longer.
When I last grew regular seeds 2 years ago. I was watching very carefully for any signs of gender, and I was quite surprised to spot pistils several weeks before solstice, only 2 or 3 per female plant. And then I read of some other folk who confirmed the same thing. It seemed to me, that many plants do the same thing, send out a very early flower or two, presumably as a survival thing, and the same plants can also throw pistils also very late when there is almost no hope of them being meaningfully fertilised. Back then I would never have spotted those pistils had I not been watching every day and taking lots of node closeup pics to later go over and check. So while the main flowering stage is triggered by the hours of daylight dropping, it seems a plant may still send a pistil or two out very early on. On this grow, the Mulanje started showing pistils a week or two prior to solstice which surprised me as it was more than just one or two, which coincides with your theory that early planting may advance the start of flowering.

...On this grow, the Mulanje started showing pistils a week or two prior to solstice which surprised me as it was more than just one or two, which coincides with your theory that early planting may advance the start of flowering.
Coincides with the theory. Your plant had time to mature before solstice, so she's ready to go when the daylength starts to get shorter. But these "early pistils" (pre-solstice pistils) are probably a survival thing as you say. They occur about the same time the males would be starting to drop a bit of pollen. My guess is they only happen after the female plant has fully matured.

My "theory" is actually axiomatic: If the female is not yet mature at solstice, she cannot flower and will wait until she is mature before flowering can start. If you plant late, flowering is of course delayed.

Cheers

When I grew in the Islands, I preferred to start late in the grow cycle. The plants showed sex at maturity. There, maturity was at around 3 weeks, If past the small triggers, females would start stretching and producing buds at around 3 to 4 weeks. The males went into overdrive stringing flowers fast. There are a few recognized seasons but can grow year round. Even a short season full grow produces huge plants. With the humidity and bugs where I ended up, I preferred going right into flower or a very short veg period.

I’m intrigued watching your full sativa grow. There are not many sativa strains left. When I was a teen, bag-seed Mexican or Columbian produced a full sativa, usually with purple or red pistols.
Your plants always look like they are thriving. :thumb:

Update - mostly looking for signs of gender

Greetings 420 folk! The plants seems to be progressing well. I have thought perhaps I kicked off the 2 younger ones a bit late but not much I can do about that now, we'll see how they go in the veg time remaining. We get a few days of gusty wind where it gets up to 50kph so there are some bashed brown parts on a few of the leaves but it all seems quite minor.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras node closeups

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje node closeups

Mulanje male

I think we can call this one a male now, not quite at the obvious multiple ball stage, but not far from it.

Be well folks! :ganjamon:

Update - mostly looking for signs of gender

Greetings 420 folk! The plants seems to be progressing well. I have thought perhaps I kicked off the 2 younger ones a bit late but not much I can do about that now, we'll see how they go in the veg time remaining. We get a few days of gusty wind where it gets up to 50kph so there are some bashed brown parts on a few of the leaves but it all seems quite minor.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras node closeups

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje node closeups

Mulanje male

I think we can call this one a male now, not quite at the obvious multiple ball stage, but not far from it.

Be well folks! :ganjamon:
The closeups of the gender reveal are very helpful. I know that end of things, but tons of people don't, and it took me a while to figure it out. Nice.

Since it's already 2022 down there...HAPPY NEW YEAR Stunger!
:party:
Heh. Now that's a cool post. Nice call Shed. And in case I didn't say it already, Happy New Year to you!! I hope this is a safe and healthy year for you!

Since it's already 2022 down there...HAPPY NEW YEAR Stunger!
:party:

Heh. Now that's a cool post. Nice call Shed. And in case I didn't say it already, Happy New Year to you!! I hope this is a safe and healthy year for you!
Thanks guys, wishing one and all, the very best for 2022!

Update - Damage to one plant

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! Happy New Year to all! :party:

While my plants appear to look good as far as nutrition goes, they are only getting water with some worm wee while growing in their containers of organic worm laden soil.

However today, upon checking their status when I got up, I noticed that the Honduras/Panama x Mulanje had a nasty break in her mainstem. Yesterday (last year), I had been congratulating myself on how tightly I had trained it with LST. The balcony is currently getting assaulted with 50kph+ winds, so whether that contributed to it's harm, or perhaps just my over exuberant LST, I don't know. But anyway, I have introduced a plastic stake of sorts which I have placed under the injury to help stabilise it and hopefully it can rebuild it's break. I am fairly hopeful that it will be ok.

Still no sign of gender to the Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras and the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

Mulanje male

Mulanje female

I am pleased she coming along promisingly

Best wishes for 2022, keep well and keep safe! :ganjamon:

Happy New Year Strunger!
May Your balcony only be shaded from prying eyes, and never the sun!
Best wishes for 2022!!
Thanks Rexer I'll be hoping for an uneventful but productive grow. All the best for 2022 for you and your's too!
The male sure filled out.
Best wishes for the new year!
Thanks stinker. We're in the 'growing month' down here, down under! I'm hoping my late germinated plants make use of the time. All the very best to you and your household too!

:ganjamon:

Yep. About to hit stretch here in SA. The pure sativa are getting massive already and will likely double or triple in the next month and a half. We get smashed with wind here too. They get to 100km/h at times. Found strapping them down on to a net like a scrog works the best and the plants hardly move in the wind. Really great for getting some thick and strong branches though so not all bad. Happy New year to you.

Back
Top Bottom