Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

Great looking plants, Stunger, gonna be some mighty fine smoke when they're done...
Hey, on a stem break, I've used Elmer's glue to seal things up, and keep out the bugs and whatnot ...It doesn't do much structurally, but it does seal things up pretty good...

Good catch on the garden wire. Great pic of the Mulanje female, love the shadow ring around the pot.
I was about to say the same thing. Very cool image and the plants look lovely.
Great looking plants, Stunger, gonna be some mighty fine smoke when they're done...
Hey, on a stem break, I've used Elmer's glue to seal things up, and keep out the bugs and whatnot ...It doesn't do much structurally, but it does seal things up pretty good...
Great tip! Thanks Carcass. @Stunger I like the cut paste for tree pruning too. Elmer's glue is waaaaay cheaper though! I am definitely going to be trying that one. Winter pruning on a bunch of fruit trees coming up soon.

Thanks Carcass! Do you mean to just 'paint' it on to seal the exposed and previously internal part of the plant? And what do you think for the hollow area that is exposed, would you 'fill it up' with the glue to seal it?
Great tip! Thanks Carcass. @Stunger I like the cut paste for tree pruning too. Elmer's glue is waaaaay cheaper though! I am definitely going to be trying that one. Winter pruning on a bunch of fruit trees coming up soon.
Cheers BA! I'll take another look at my tube of pruning cut paste tomorrow, maybe I can 'fill in' the hollow with it.

Sealing that wound area sounds good. Then I will have rig some binding type support to the area, because once the crown of the plant grows it is surely going to place a bit of weight and pressure to that area.

I don't know about the 'great'. :laugh: But thanks mate. This is something I've thought a little about and I reckon it depends on many things. There will be a sweet spot I'm sure but it will all depend on strain, pheno, pot size, etc. That sweet spot will vary. I've found that fewer but denser colas is easier when it comes to trimming though. Ha ha. I did feel when I trained to have more colas they weren't as large or dense but it could have been several factors that caused that. It would be interesting to do a little experiment with clones one day.
Hey VetSmoke85, Happy belated new year. So you agree there's a sweet spot depending on the factors you mentioned, which I agree with. So do you usually remove the second node growth? How about the third? Do you have any sense of at which node the buds begin to be more legit? I've gotten great buds from the second node, but there's always a ton of unused stem on it. I'm thinking fewer low nodes with long stems, and more upper nodes with shorter, but significant stems. Any thoughts on that?

Update - A Holy f%*k moment :lot-o-toke:, and a further gender reveal.

Greetings 420 folks! There wasn't going to be an update today, it began like any other day. The plants are showing growth each morning when I check on them. We're going thru a nice patch of hot sunny weather. I even gave them them a dash of Kelp concentrate, fish hydrolysate, humid/fulvic acids into their usual water with worm wee added.

All quite uneventful until I looked closer...

The holy f%*k moment

I apologise for my use of the keyboard but I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and it suddenly explained the injury to the mainstem of the Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras. The plastic coated garden wire was cutting into the mainstem as it grew. The previous spool of garden wire was notably softer whereas the current one is stronger in the wire. Each LST tie that I attached to the mainstem I wrapped around 1.5 times but without any twist to fix it, as my intention was that the plant could then expand it accordingly as it grew. I was shocked when I noticed that half the LST ties were actually sunken into the stem tissue, or rather, the expanding plant had clearly not expanded the garden wire but had simply grew around and over it. That explains the position of the break and the brown edges that occurred to the H/PxPH. The break was right at the apex of pressure of the restraining tie as the stem was bent forward by another tie. This occurred over some time as the plant grew around the tie until it cut itself in half. So I consider myself lucky that I spotted this when I did, Otherwise in by another few days, the other plant would have been similarly damaged. After this I'll go check my grape vine that has been growing nicely since I put it in in Spring, I have some ties on that too, so I hope they're not causing any similar damage. But hey when it comes to garden plants, I've got my priorities! :yummy:

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

I turned the plant around to show it's fuller side!

Following is a side on pic showing the damaged mainstem. I looked closely to see if there was anything that as assisting giving support to it's mainstem, but nothing (this was when I noticed the damage caused by the LST ties). I originally rested the damaged point upon the black plastic stake and wrapped a bit of garden wire above it to help it avoid being blown off in the wind, but it has surprisingly grown up and off the stake, to now be pushing upwards against the wire.

So anyway, I released/loosened all ties to the growing mainstems. There was some other damage but I think it'll be minor and the plants will rapidly heal themselves at those points. Of course with the main point of damage shown above, I'll have to keep an eye on it and see how it heals and maybe give it a binding of sorts if I can do so without causing my damage.

Well onto another gender reveal. I have spotted new pistils on the Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras!
:nerd-with-glasses:

So that's great, 3 girls! :yahoo:

I will have to rapidly get on to their training because they're noticeably growing each day.

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

There is not much I can add about her. But she is growing strongly and thankfully I got those cutting ties off her before any real damage was done.

Mulanje female

She is growing nicely. I need to go over her training very soon as she's having a bit of a stretch at the moment.

Thanks for popping in. All the best!

:ganjamon:
Nice catch when you did, Stunger. I use the exact same things. Vigoro, right? They're essentially the same thing a loaf of bread is closed with, a twist tie. The Vigoro ones are a little softer, but even with them, I have experienced the exact same thing and thankfully caught it before I got a break like yours. But it does explain everything basically. I have learned to make loops with them that are created by twisting. That way I can simply untwist a length to open up the loop and I never have it twisted around the plant. I have yet to find the "perfect" product in this regard.

Hey VetSmoke85, Happy belated new year. So you agree there's a sweet spot depending on the factors you mentioned, which I agree with. So do you usually remove the second node growth? How about the third? Do you have any sense of at which node the buds begin to be more legit? I've gotten great buds from the second node, but there's always a ton of unused stem on it. I'm thinking fewer low nodes with long stems, and more upper nodes with shorter, but significant stems. Any thoughts on that?
I've usually kept nodes 3 & 4 but have kept the 2nd on a few plants. Depends how the plants growing and how I'm feeling about it. I've noticed too that the 2nd node you'll get a long stem with longer internode spacing and they have a tendency to want to fall over as the top bud fills out. On the upcoming auto grow I might do one with nodes 2,3,4 and one with 3,4,5. I'd say if I was growing a photoperiod I'd usually get rid of the 2nd node but with autos I might keep it depending on the growth rate.

Congrats Stunger on getting all the sexes you wanted and catching the cutting wires just in time! I'm with Carcass on the Elmer's white glue for sealing up the holes. I'm sure some earwig would love to take up residence in that hole, so sealing it seems like a great idea. I just used it on an olive tree that I split trying to spread the tops apart.
Thanks Shed! To think I germinated 5 sativa seeds, lost one to a slug, and got 1 male Mulanje, and 3 females, it can't get much better than that! Altho I will look to do another update shortly with some further good news.

I know I have got some of that wood glue somewhere. I'll go take a look now, and also at my pruning repair paste, but from memory that is pretty thick and not very liquid so could be troublesome to apply. But it a good time to go see - that means I'll have to take my glasses with me!

Update - Introducing a surprise new lady to the balcony!

Greetings 420 enthusiasts!

From 4 regular seeds, I have got 3 females already on the balcony, so you might be wondering what the heck I am doing introducing another girl? The answer is that this goes back 2 months when I first germinated 3 regular Mulanje seeds, they germinated 100%, then a hungry slug decapitated and ate one. That left me with 2 Mulanje and being regular, the genders were still unknown. So at that point I kicked off a succession of 3 feminised hybrids, the first two attempts failed to germinate which cost me more time. :lot-o-toke:

The 3rd attempt was my very last seed of Mango Sherbert (cheers @syenite, stand up and take a bow buddy!), this seed germinated fine, but the membrane failed to clear the cotyledons. That was when I kicked off 2 further regulars (Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras and the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje) as I was now running out of time in the season to get things underway if this Mango Sherbert didn't come right.

With my eyesight not too flash these days I failed to notice that it was not fully free, and it wasn't until the 3rd day that I realised the membrane was still holding the cotyledons closed. It is such delicate work trying to free a seedling of the membrane, I misted it and waited, and then misted it again and waited, then at one point in trying to free it I jerked the seedling out a bit which cannot have been helpful for it's tap root. So in desperation after failing to peel the membrane off, I decided to poke a needle thru the closed split of the cotyledons and then drew the needle forward to effectively tear the membrane in half, so allowing the cotyledons to be free. That worked but the cotyledons didn't want to open, I guess they'd been closed for 3 days since breaking soil and they had now lost their inclination to open. It was a 'eel mouth' at this stage.

I forcibly held the cotyledons open and then used a bit of twig to keep them open, and then gradually they stayed more open and began to green up, but it took a further couple of days.

At this point I already had experience of botched germinations to realise this was likely to be a 'mutant', something that may grow but probably would never reach any useful size. I had one similar a couple of years back that reached about 4 inches and had 6 or 7 nodes, but it never grew bigger. So with this one I was ready to call it quits.

But about that time, I was checking in on @Grand Daddy Black's journal with his prodigious gardening efforts on view, it turned out he was nurturing a 'whale mouth' seedling much like mine, and another poster, Verbalist, suggested it was still worth not giving up on it. If it wasn't for Verbalist I think I would have pulled it out, but most likely just to prove him wrong I kept it alive, and blow me down with a feather it has come right, so thanks @Verbalist! Which I am really pleased about, because of the 3 girls I grew last year, the Mango Sherbert from the Humboldt Seed Company turned out to be my favourite. A frost monster always has a lot to like about it! She is a feminised seed and is now just over 8 weeks old after a very slow and shaky start, and she has just started to show her first eruption of pistils.

A timeline of the Mango Sherbert from mutant 'eel mouth' to a healthy looking plant

1½ weeks old - as an 'eel mouth'

2 weeks old - now her membrane has been ripped open

2½ weeks old

3 weeks old

4 weeks old

4½ weeks old

5½ weeks old

6½ weeks old

7 weeks old

7½ weeks old

8 weeks old - after a slow start she is now looking quite nice today

As my other plants are from regular seeds, I have been doing a lot of node checking for signs of gender. So while the Mango Sherbert is feminised I have been checking her too, and can now confirm the first preflowers showing on her have little nubs of pistils beginning to erupt. Which is awesome, as I now have 4 female plants on the balcony!

Her first pre-flowers showing pistils beginning to erupt

My plans for the Mango Sherbert

Of course I am happy for more of her buds, but more importantly, being my very last seed of this strain, if all goes well I will use pollen from the Mulanje male to selectively pollinate a branch or two as I imagine she would make a nice cross with the Mulanje. I most want to make some more pure Mulanje seeds, but I will probably make a selective cross with the Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras and the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje while I'm at it (if all goes well).

A pic of the Mango Sherbert's buds from last year's grow

I don't know about you, but she looks appealing to cross!

So to sum up, I now have 4 females on the balcony

Mango Sherbert ♀
Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras ♀
Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje ♀
Mulanje ♀

And on his own near the back fence I have the Mulanje male♂ So that brings me up to date. I now have 1 hybrid amongst 4 sativas!
Be well folks, keep safe, and may your gardens be blooming! :ganjamon:

Cool update. I like your hybrid plans. I'd like to try creating seeds in the future. If I get males, I'm planning on housing them inside the house in a small tent that I plant to keep for males and clones only.

And on his own near the back fence I have the Mulanje male♂
You're not worried too much pollen will get into the air? How about other growers near you?

What a wonderful duckling-to-swan story!
Thanks Shed! I truly thought it had gone mutant and would not recover. I only wish I'd taken better pics to illustrate it's change, as it does make one realise that some of these mutants can recover,
You're not worried too much pollen will get into the air?
No, not really. The male will be diagonally at the back of the property and the prevailing winds should clear it away.
How about other growers near you?
Near me? Well that would be against the law if they were doing that (haha) and a risk they'd have to accept! But I have not had such issues on past grows so should be ok hopefully.

Cool update. I like your hybrid plans.
I should add, that my main aim is to make more Mulanje seeds, and secondary the other 2 sativa which are themselves crosses.

With the Mango Sherbert, it is really nice strain and I understand very selectively bred, and being it was my last seed I am pleased to now have the potential opportunity to make a cross with it, as the genetics of both strains combined should/could be quite special. And if successful it will allow me to have some further joy from the Mango down the line as a cross. Plus it is kind of nice having these little sub projects within the main gardening thrust of wanting to make a nice bud harvest!

General update

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! It's gone 11pm here, and I've just got back from drone fishing, no luck with the big ones tonight, the 7 we caught all got released back to grow bigger for another day, but nonetheless it is nice to be out and feel the fresh air and enjoy the views.

Anyway, earlier in the day I took a few pics of the plants but I didn't have time to upload them, so here they are.

Mango Sherbert

I used some arborist pruning repair product to cover up the exposed break in the mainstem. She seems to have taken to it without protest. Rather astonishingly in spite of her damaged mainstem she is still trying to lift herself higher against the wire that is holding her down. It will be interesting how she responds to the damage, and whether it will make a big knuckle to strengthen itself, or whether I'll have to add some sort of bracing, we'll see.

Mulanje male

Mulanje female

Not much to add, mostly pictorial!
Thanks for dropping by, and wishing all the best to your own gardens! :ganjamon:

General update

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! It's gone 11pm here, and I've just got back from drone fishing, no luck with the big ones tonight, the 7 we caught all got released back to grow bigger for another day, but nonetheless it is nice to be out and feel the fresh air and enjoy the views.

Anyway, earlier in the day I took a few pics of the plants but I didn't have time to upload them, so here they are.

Mango Sherbert

I used some arborist pruning repair product to cover up the exposed break in the mainstem. She seems to have taken to it without protest. Rather astonishingly in spite of her damaged mainstem she is still trying to lift herself higher against the wire that is holding her down. It will be interesting how she responds to the damage, and whether it will make a big knuckle to strengthen itself, or whether I'll have to add some sort of bracing, we'll see.

Mulanje male

Mulanje female

Not much to add, mostly pictorial!
Thanks for dropping by, and wishing all the best to your own gardens! :ganjamon:
Awesome pics, Stunger. I have a question - that space near the back fence where you put the male looks super sweet and not exposed to passersby. How come you don't use that instead of the balcony? Also on that bad break, I cannot believe the plant did what it's done here. It basically has fixed itself despite never "straightening out" the main nute tube in the center of the stem. That rough patch of heal is bent almost 90 degrees, fgs! Yet somehow the nutes and water are getting fully up that sweet main stem, them taking a hard turn while the tube in the middle MUST get smaller in circumference, then back to the sweet, full stem again post break. Like, the fact that it can negotiate the inside of what must be going on in the break is just amazing, I would never have thought that could happen. Awesome. Bet you get a huge knuckle there and it becomes one of the strongest branches.

Awesome pics, Stunger. I have a question - that space near the back fence where you put the male looks super sweet and not exposed to passersby. How come you don't use that instead of the balcony?
Thanks Jon. After a lot of consideration I deemed the balcony to be the best available location that I had stealth wise, if the back neighbours eyeballed thru the fence gaps they could actually see that plant which I will probably move to another part out the back where it would get less sun but be harder to see.

Thanks Jon. After a lot of consideration I deemed the balcony to be the best available location that I had stealth wise, if the back neighbours eyeballed thru the fence gaps they could actually see that plant which I will probably move to another part out the back where it would get less sun but be harder to see.
Looking wonderful! Great to see your progress. I know how touchy it gets with Neighbors I though I was pretty good here with a tree lined privacy fence and several weeks ago there was a line man in a cherry picker trimming branches off the neighbors power lines! AAGGGHH! and last season i looked up to see a drone the power company was using to servail the power lines, I looked up at the humming sound 75 feet above my head and I almost swallowed my tongue.
I say go with the stealth!

Looking wonderful! Great to see your progress. I know how touchy it gets with Neighbors I though I was pretty good here with a tree lined privacy fence and several weeks ago there was a line man in a cherry picker trimming branches off the neighbors power lines! AAGGGHH! and last season i looked up to see a drone the power company was using to servail the power lines, I looked up at the humming sound 75 feet above my head and I almost swallowed my tongue.
I say go with the stealth!
Thanks tropics, I know what you mean with unexpected 'incursions' to your stealth efforts. Last week when mowing the lawn, I could hear the neighbour cleaning out his gutters. When I got to the back yard he was on top of his garage and he sees me and we had a 5 minute chinwag, the whole time I am aware the male Mulanje was just 10 feet behind me so I was trying keep his eyes engaged while hoping that I was blocking the view behind me, there wasn't much else I could do.

Gotcha. Just curious. That makes perfect sense.

Back
Top Bottom