Does anyone here have any experience treating dementia patients with agitation issues? My dad has been getting very agitated and physically lashing out at the caregivers where he lives now when ever they try to clean him up or give him a shower. I've got two cultivars I can make oil from immediately, one is a 50/50 sativa/indica and one is 85/15 indica dominant. Neither are considered CBD strains but I do have hemp-based CBD oil at home I can blend in.

I'm waiting to talk to his doctor because the place can't give him anything without his approval.

Do you have an account with Green Flower? They have a class on dosing for Alzheimer's, dementia, and other neurodegenerative diseases that was taught by a nurse that practices in a retirement community in California. She mentioned a patient in this same condition that was responsive to a low dose. Let me grab my notes....

Alzheimer's or dementia patients with agitation respond to a 1:1, doses three times a day.
- 2.5 mg of each cannabinoid per dose is a good starting point.
- A tincture or capsule will work 6-8 hours.
- If sleep is an issue the evening dose will be all THC, a 5mg capsule, right before bed.

I believe I still have the option to gift the class to anyone I choose. If you send me your email address I can have it forwarded to you. It was tremendously insightful.

I just checked, and that option to share the class still exists. I can share any of their streaming classes. That's quite a selection.

Do you have an account with Green Flower? They have a class on dosing for Alzheimer's, dementia, and other neurodegenerative diseasesthat was taught by a nurse that practices in a retirement community in California. She mentioned a patient in this same condition that was responsive to a low dose. Let me grab my notes....
Alzheimer's or dementia patients with agitation respond to a 1:1, doses three times a day.
- 2.5 mg of each cannabinoid per dose is a good starting point.
- A tincture or capsule will work 6-8 hours.
- If sleep is an issue the evening dose will be all THC, a 5mg capsule, right before bed.
I believe I still have the option to gift the class to anyone I choose. If you send me your email address I can have it forwarded to you. It was tremendously insightful.
I just checked, and that option to share the class still exists. I can share any of their streaming classes. That's quite a selection.

Thanks SS! Incoming PM :)

I'm guessing the indica dom would be the one to start with. I'll see if I can find the mg/ml for the CBD oil. I asked 420 once and all they could say was it's 5% CBD oil.

Thanks again :Namaste:

Thanks Blew. Not sure I can get the staff to serve him brownies on a schedule, but I can ask!

In case it helps, here is a link to the CBD oil:
CBD Oil | USA Shipping 420

I had considered that. Thank you. I have lots of high THC around as I continue to realign my thinking processes about the garden. I came in a recreational grower. It wasn't until my husband passed that I started growing for our daughter, and it took a year for her to say she'd try, so I was still a rec grower, for the most part. The mindset goes to high THC sativa terpene profiles. :laughtwo:

And our governments think they can grow for the needs of the entire population. :laughtwo:

Yes, sue, I am using fresh bud and leaf. I do not de carb in an effort to keep it something I can tolerate. But perhaps I am not on the right track there...? Hmmm, and you say I must get moisture content out? I just blend it up with EVOO , put foil on it with a tiny hole to release pressure (old bear ;) ) and heat for a few hours on low heat. Then tip toe with each new batch till I figure out the strength. My body accepts food very well in its most natural form...otherwise it punishes me with food poisoning.

Hi Kelly , thank you for,the welcome. I do have sooo much to learn and i just have to figure out the right questions...till then, I read and read.

I do drink a very weak infusion of leaves. I use about ten baby leaves to half of cup of water, blend it up and then strain it. I take sips all through the day, hold it in mouth a minute or so and swallow. I have no problem with this, my body craves it. The bud/leaf/oil that is stronger I use about 1/3 dropper and go outside to work. I am mostly bending forward so it is always in the front of my mouth. If one has consequences like you or I may have from swallowing it...it is easy to be mindful of not swollowing. I am able to hold it for 30 min or so, and then just spit and spit and rinse my mouth and spit some,more. I started doing this with a small piece of bread under my tongue to catch theme track saliva ...this works very well. But I found it easier for me to just use the oil straight.

Ranch life is nice..Mother Nature is lovely...the work is hard. Thank you again for the welcome.

hi guys hope every one is doing good and being blessed with great yields and harvests. Ok so im on my way to making some great oil i got my new double boiler and a thermometer with a probe also an infared thermometer now what i was wondering is with my double boiler the pot u put the water in do i fill it to the top so the other pot the one with my oil in it is touching water or no?? here is my new gear im bout to go start making some cco to make some biobombs wish me luck every1 namaste.

20180207_042059.jpg

hi guys hope every one is doing good and being blessed with great yields and harvests. Ok so im on my way to making some great oil i got my new double boiler and a thermometer with a probe also an infared thermometer now what i was wondering is with my double boiler the pot u put the water in do i fill it to the top so the other pot the one with my oil in it is touching water or no?? here is my new gear im bout to go start making some cco to make some biobombs wish me luck every1 namaste.

20180207_042059.jpg
Yes, you want water to touch the entire time of the boil.

Does this apply to tinctures purchased at dispensaries. I have a small bottle in my purse. It's a high CBD ratio and looks clear.

Hi Sierra I think you would be fine if stored in a cool dark place. I have some purchased edible oil mixes, and they seem fine, just like vegetable oils.

The big difference for homemade is the presence of plant material. Its also possible that some mold, if present, might make the trip through decarb and extraction.

Also fyi - what I'm doing right now is warming up a bottle of purchased oil with a 50/50 cbd/thc ratio to add some sunflower lecithin to it. It helps with absorption / bioavailability.

Yes, sue, I am using fresh bud and leaf. I do not de carb in an effort to keep it something I can tolerate. But perhaps I am not on the right track there...? Hmmm, and you say I must get moisture content out? I just blend it up with EVOO , put foil on it with a tiny hole to release pressure (old bear ;) ) and heat for a few hours on low heat. Then tip toe with each new batch till I figure out the strength. My body accepts food very well in its most natural form...otherwise it punishes me with food poisoning.

Sounds like an intelligent system that surely appreciates your mindful approach. I'm developing a strong theory that cannabis is most effective as a food source. We use it as a drug because when they instituted the war against cannabis they deprived us of a food source evolved to compliment our ECS.

Have you attempted adding hemp seeds into your diet? If they're tolerated they'd introduce a valuable supply of balanced omega acids. More raw materials for the creation of endocannabinoids in conjunction with an infusion of phytocannabinoids would theoretically enhance the healing force.

Yes, you want water to touch the entire time of the boil.

You're correct greatwolf, but in this case it's oil, not water that we're heating. Water won't reach the temperatures necessary for a timely decarb. The mash in the upper pot needs to get to ~235 degrees F and stay there until decarb has reached the point you desire. To do that in my setup the oil bath needs to hover around 275 degrees F.

Hi Sue and all canna oilers...
I've been wondering, and don't remember ever coming across anything about this, is the double boiler method only applicable to fresh material? Could it be used for dry herb as well? Maybe you've gone down that path in the past and found it no good (And I've missed it... )

You're correct greatwolf, but in this case it's oil, not water that we're heating. Water won't reach the temperatures necessary for a timely decarb. The mash in the upper pot needs to get to ~235 degrees F and stay there until decarb has reached the point you desire. To do that in my setup the oil bath needs to hover around 275 degrees F.
Okay, but he asked about water in the lower half of a double boiler, so that's what I answered...

Ok holy lordy lmao i just tried some of the biobomb i made last nite only like 12 to 14 hours or so in the fridge and I didn't mix it up jus took alil off the edges and I fell asleep for like 6 7 hours lmao man this is way better with the lecithin lol but I was wondering with the biobombs can i add that to infused oil?? I used coconut oil to make the bomb and then I was wanting to add it to Grapeseed oil or olive oil will tht work or no?

Hemp seeds, yes..love them..and hemp oil for sun poisoning and any skin ailment...especially sun sore/cold sore...very effective. My issue is to get enough thc/thca into system to cause cancer cell death.

Question...I am in search of acdc clones/seed but as I understand...only clones exist? Also seeds of any other high cbd plants in u.s.?

I was using my double boiler to boil off the everclear i used to make the cco. So should I be getting my everclear mixture to that high of a temp when I'm evaporating the alcohol??

Hi Sierra I think you would be fine if stored in a cool dark place. I have some purchased edible oil mixes, and they seem fine, just like vegetable oils.

The big difference for homemade is the presence of plant material. Its also possible that some mold, if present, might make the trip through decarb and extraction.

Also fyi - what I'm doing right now is warming up a bottle of purchased oil with a 50/50 cbd/thc ratio to add some sunflower lecithin to it. It helps with absorption / bioavailability.

Thanks Oldbear. I add lecithin to most of my tinctures. But, the liquid is very messy and hard to measure in small amounts (for me). If I have .5 oz or 1 oz of purchased tincture, how much lecithin should I add? Planned to measure but in really was hard to measure.

Back
Top Bottom