Sweetsue's First Grow - Stealthy Trio of Autos Under CFLs

Sue,
I'm glad you are washing your buds. At this point, you might as well make cannabis cup contender quality bud.
Personsally, I would skip the hydrogen peroxide wash, but your buds will be gran cru either way.

For those worried about trichome loss in bud washing, the people who have tried to measure microscopically and by filtering the water have concluded there just isn't enough to make a keef bump for a good sized bowl pipe. The trichome loss is barely perceptible.

I fully agree Rad. As I was mucking through the slush carting my buckets, my groceries and my bag of stuff I take with me every day I kept smiling at how spoiled I was going to be smoking clean and tasty buds. The minuscule number of lost trichomes isn't worth smoking dust, dander and dead bugs.

I don't know about all of you, but I think the universe is telling me not to rush the harvest and to give her time to stop growing. Yes, she could be taken any time now, but I keep thinking about how the buds swell dramatically in the final two weeks, and I believe this is what I'm witnessing. I think wait until these pistils go rust-colored. The trichomes haven't changed enough for me to be concerned. A vast majority are still cloudy.

Any thoughts? :helpsmilie:

I was resigned to seeing you take her harvest, but this is what I was talking about. Now you get to see if she's a champ. :cheesygrinsmiley:

If the soil critters are happy, and we have every reason to believe they are, then this plant should go through another calyx-building cycle. The tradeoff is the decay of the old trichs vs the surge of fresh new trichs. I was concerned that you had so much amber already, especially under CFLs, and that's a good reason to harvest soon if it keeps up. If I were you, I'd take a more careful survey, although it sounds like you study 'em pretty well as it is.

You've grown some seriously fine produce! :circle-of-love:

[Edit] What's the peroxide for? I hope it's not for the buds.

Doc Bud from page 6 on Hikers Bud Washing thread:
The peroxide wash is mostly used if you have any worries about rot or PM. It doesn't' hurt anything, just an extra step. If I saw ONE SPOT of mold, I peroxide the entire harvest, then wash as per usual.

I was resigned to seeing you take her harvest, but this is what I was talking about. Now you get to see if she's a champ. :cheesygrinsmiley:

If the soil critters are happy, and we have every reason to believe they are, then this plant should go through another calyx-building cycle. The tradeoff is the decay of the old trichs vs the surge of fresh new trichs. I was concerned that you had so much amber already, especially under CFLs, and that's a good reason to harvest soon if it keeps up. If I were you, I'd take a more careful survey, although it sounds like you study 'em pretty well as it is.

You've grown some seriously fine produce! :circle-of-love:

[Edit] What's the peroxide for? I hope it's not for the buds.

Ngnnnn, no. It's not all that benign - plenty of opportunity for disappointment - not to be done casually.

I really wouldn't recommend the peroxide for the first washing experience. I've never used it. The lemon/lime juice and baking soda are the fundamental ingredients. Especially for the first time. I don't want you to end up with damage to the terpenes.

Actually, the brand of lemon juice (or lime) in the squeezy bottle is marginally better than the real thing because it has some stuff to keep the lemon juice safe from bacteria, etc.

On this bud washing threads, the votes are about 50 for, 2 against.
Bud Washing

I personally washed with a 30 second swish in warm water, baking soda and lime juice followed by two 30 second rinses in cool water.

The results are awesome! The effort is minimal.
Those who know more than I, say drying and curing is more even after bud washing.

I've never found washing garden vegetables to be a problem, so I'm not concerned about washing garden buds.

This. At least wash one branch, to compare the result to non-washed bud ... then cry because you didnt do it the other way around :p

Edit: nvm, catched up :) You'll be glad :p

I returned the peroxide and got lemon juice, (not from concentrate) and a nice lemon to top it off with fresh squeezed. Thank you so much Greytail, for chiming in and saving me. Looking closely this morning shows a healthy ratio of cloudy to amber. She's going to go fast, so I'll probably check morning and evening.

I also picked up a digital kitchen scale. In my head I'm designing a holder made out of PVC, or possibly a 2ltr bottle (Reg inspires me all the time) for the branches that will allow me to stand them vertically for weighing. I know it's dry weight that matters, but I'd like to see the difference. Next up - canning jars (on my way home tonight or tomorrow) and Bovida packs. They'll have to wait for the 1st, when I place my brother's monthly Amazon order, but I will get them ASAP.

I took a whole slew of pictures this morning and will spend the rest of the morning trying to sift through them. They were very photogenic today so it's going to be difficult to cull the list. It gives me something to do while Dale snoozes and has kept me so busy the days fly. You guys and this journal have been a godsend. Thank you all for the help, encouragement and invaluable support. It feels like a joint effort grow, doesn't it?

Greytail, I wouldn't have minded if you had yelled STOP AND CONSIDER!!! I trust your judgement much more than mine. It was your voice nagging in the back of my mind yesterday that made me initially rethink. :love:

a lemon juice story. let's. face it, we all need one

I asked wifey to pick some up for me, I use it to lower the ph in my watering water. just a touch. so I askes the missus to get me the real stuff, not from concentrate. so she comes home with this no name bottle of lemon juice assuring me it is the good stuff. well,, well, only took me a sec to show her where it said made from concentrate,, so i layed the hammer down, well actually I whined and whimpered and said,, iiiiirrrooooooooolll,,, what the heck??????? so I went to the fridge all in a huff and dug out the bottle of 'real lemon', you know the one,, and i read it and if it wasn't made from concentrate as well.

real lemon,,,, made from concentrate,,, Ok, right,,

STOP AND CONSIDER! Lol now that I've got that out of my system...

make sure to strain that fresh lemon juice really well or you'll get dry pulp on your buds.

I'm getting excited for you. I keep thinking I'll wake up to a SweetSue harvest. Good luck!

She does keep us on tenterhooks with her daily status updates and tantalizing pictures.
Harvest will be such a relief :)

Prepare to be tempted again Rad. :laughtwo:

Daily Update: Day 79 (THC Bomb Auto) & Day 78 (Buddha Magnum Auto)

I tried to cut down on the number of pictures. I really did. :battingeyelashes:

image19940.jpg

Let's start with the Bomb.

image19941.jpg
n

image19942.jpg

Some views of her main cola. Takes my breath away.

image19943.jpg

image19944.jpg

image19945.jpg

I love how these look like little rosettes.

image19946.jpg

image19947.jpg

Now for some views of her frosty secondary colas.

image19948.jpg

image19949.jpg

image19950.jpg

image19951.jpg

image19952.jpg

image19953.jpg

My only necrotic leaf. Stuns me too.

image19954.jpg

Now for lovely Buddha.

image19955.jpg

image19956.jpg

Her main cola.

image19957.jpg

image19958.jpg

image19959.jpg

On to her secondary colas. This first shot looks so tame.

image19960.jpg

Add a flash and the trichomes light up and shock you with their abundance.

image19961.jpg

A lovely cola in the back that really wanted to get a picture taken. Who am I to deny the request?

image19962.jpg

It's so fascinating the way the underside of the leaves on the main cola are just covering with trichomes.

image19963.jpg

Let's check in on the popcorn buds. Because they are deep inside you would think these be lacking, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong. This really excites me! Pull back the Bomb's leaves and this is what you find.

image19964.jpg

image19965.jpg

image19966.jpg

image19967.jpg

Buddha says "Don't forget me!"

image19968.jpg

Her most exciting days are still ahead. And you thought the Bomb was something! My rave girl is going to show us how it's really done. :laughtwo:

One last look behind the screen.

image19969.jpg

That's all for today. Too much? I got a little carried away. Hope no one was bored. :laughtwo::green_heart:

:Namaste:

Bored?.... hahahah my my, that is the funniest thing I have heard all morning. :rofl: :rofl:

Both ladies are absolutely stunning, I can't help but think to myself, "yeah, this lady knows how to frickin' grow." every time I look through your photo updates. An inspiration to us all!

Good on ya letting them go longer than their breeder's dates, many times I have read that Auto's often go 20 days past their breeder's harvest date. I think you're making the right decision.

:Namaste:

Sue how are you today? :passitleft:

Can I start a little guessing game, just for fun?? Since you are days away from an amazing harvest, how about we start throwing some wild numbers of your harvest weights (dry)...

Im gonna start by saying 1.5-2 oz of each.
:high-five:

A quick note on maintenance. Yesterday they got their weekly Saturday drench of aloe vera juice (1/4 cup) and coconut water (1/2 cup) diluted with water to make 1/2 gallon and split between them. The coconut water would typically be 1/4 cup, but I got carried away. No harm done. This is LOS.

Today I gave them a minor drench of water that I'd soaked mosquito dunks in overnight. Take that fungus gnats!

Both days they took a quart apiece to top off the reservoirs. The Bomb's was a little high this morning before I dashed out to tend to Dale, but she'll drink that while I'm gone today.

Ok. That's all. This tiny phone screen is making me see double.

First, let me just...Oh wow yeah oh look no yellow fan leaves yeah that is just...Grrrrrrrr you are putting my grows to shame. :love:

Now, let me just...are you kidding me, are you guys seeing this! :reading420magazine: Do you see that sugar?! Those flowers are in absolute HEAT, not to be crass but I am gonna have to go "bud one out" Some sweet bud pron, can you all hang on a few minutes, brb.

You are gonna be fine, let me just...uh...Where's my Joan Rivers voice. Look...the forgetting the lemons was a sign, call it fashionably late...for the virgin slaughter. "THC Bomb, who are you wearing?" Well this was designed just for me by Sweetsue, its a Felt cloth filled with LOS perfection an nicely accessorized dressed with Pennsylvania Fall.

Are you out of your mind you can't be harvesting on Oscar Night! Bradley Cooper is gonna get best actor for American Sniper, did you see him in Silver Linings Playbook?

The 8 ball says "Decidedly So" and "Yes" you are supposed to wait Sweetsue. Those plants are perfectly good for another week minimum especially Budha. Theres no sign of fan leaves yellowing, maybe one on THC Bomb.

Curl up with Dale and watch the Oscars
:peace:

I have to say these are going to be 2.4 oz for THC Bomb and 2.1 oz for Budha, dry weight Buds only. Need a good quality scale, make sure you put something down to catch the sugar when you trim that is pure premium smoke, you'll be chasing that dragon for years.

I'm in at 2.5 ounces per plant. (But Sue please keep your expectations low!!!) somewhere around the one ounce per plant ;) it was the best feeling blowing my expectations out of the water :)

Lots of love Sue, stay warm!

I agree with pidge, keep your dreams to dreams and not fantasies. so much more fun to be surprised than it is to be disapointed.

but you know all that

Back
Top Bottom