Tead's Indoor-ish, Winter, Hempy, OGK, SOG

I forget the story with pollen. I know it's super touchy. No water. Do folks freeze it? Does it store in room temp any amount of time?
Tead wonders about some dusty mailing.

The cold days are around the corner with most of the nights next week including a visit below the freeze chart line.... but today kicked some ass. No wind. No clouds. So warm and nice in the sun. Spent almost the entire day outside workin.

Yep....pollen will keep. Cool, dry and probably out of direct sunlight once you've harvested it. I have several packages (folded wax or parchment paper) of that reversed Blue Dream pollen with a few kernels of rice in each in my freezer. I understand that all you have to do is bring it back to room temperature before using. I've not tested that.

Be safe with that purple young fellow.

AKG's words prompted me to thin the herd some.

Before
TD20171231_082258.jpg

After
TD20171231_084113.jpg

Much bettah! From 9 to 7.
Most of these are outdoor plants moved inside. They really are huge.

Free to good home... mostly. I'll try to keep them warm during the coming cold. They should be ok generally, but they'll take a hit none the less.
TD20171231_084631.jpg

That's one nice looking stocked for the winter shed you've got there. I don't know if I'd have the fortitude to choose what to put out in the cold.

You've (with old journal entries and photos) finally convinced me to try out on osmo+. I think a rooted auto-flower plant in a pre-prepared hempy pot might be the perfect solution for a lot of new growers.

I thought you might get a kick out of this, the landlord lady asked for help repotting some >20 year old landscaping plants that were in terra cotta pots. She said "well not really they are in some blue ceramic pots just set inside the terra cotta or else the sun would burn the roots".

As I went to transplant them I pulled out the "blue ceramic" pots and they turned out to be 8" blue drainage pipes with a wooden plug for the bottom. I went back to get a picture but the recycling truck had already taken them away.

That’s one nice looking stocked for the winter shed you’ve got there. I don’t know if I’d have the fortitude to choose what to put out in the cold.

You’ve (with old journal entries and photos) finally convinced me to try out on osmo+. I think a rooted auto-flower plant in a pre-prepared hempy pot might be the perfect solution for a lot of new growers.

I thought you might get a kick out of this, the landlord lady asked for help repotting some >20 year old landscaping plants that were in terra cotta pots. She said “well not really they are in some blue ceramic pots just set inside the terra cotta or else the sun would burn the roots”.

As I went to transplant them I pulled out the “blue ceramic” pots and they turned out to be 8” blue drainage pipes with a wooden plug for the bottom. I went back to get a picture but the recycling truck had already taken them away.

Thanks baby!

The Osmo is the lazy grower's method... that's for sure. Super simple for the newbies.
One can find scrap PVC at places where drainage work is happening. I didn't bother hunting and picked some up from my local plumbing supply store. They had the orange 'pressure test caps' as well... they hold 40psi and are much easier than any other options.

I can't help you much with other mediums. I have to stay with the perlite for local climate reasons. I notice it sure dries out allot quicker when the humidity dives below 50%. In the 80 and 90 percent range I can run the pots for 4 days. The chilly weather has brought some drier air and I have to hit them every 2 days with water.

To help with the dryness I'm going to try some of those water absorbing crystals. They help a ton in soil around here I think they'd work well with perlite. I'm also thinking some kind of mulch on top, the top inch or two of perlite always seems dry and void of roots.

To help with the dryness I’m going to try some of those water absorbing crystals. They help a ton in soil around here I think they’d work well with perlite. I’m also thinking some kind of mulch on top, the top inch or two of perlite always seems dry and void of roots.

Keep in mind that this is a drain to waste hydro method specifically designed for regular replacement of the water. You don't want to keep the roots completely swampy at all times and you don't want that water lasting forever. The perlite only mix really makes it happen in my world. A drying of the roots as the pots dry is and important factor. A thick mix with a water retaining layer is not really what one might want here. You want the water to migrate up and evaporate out the top of the pot.... thus dragging the nutrients around with it.

Yeah these crystals have to be used very sparingly. Even in soil if you use to many they create voids and miniature sinkholes as they dry and shrink. My goal is to keep the perlite a bit more moist at the top of the pots. I rarely go above 50% humidity so things dry fast. In my mind at least the perlite would suck water from the crystals like several miniature reservoirs spread throughout hopefully keeping it more evenly moist but not too swamp like. My plants look pretty healthy without them so maybe I'm just over thinking it. I just feel like the top several inches in my pots are waisted space since it dries so quickly.

I just feel like the top several inches in my pots are waisted space since it dries so quickly.

I find that I normally can feel moisture at 2" below the top. This is where the evaporation is occurring. I actually want that 2" evaporation zone.

Then again.... I do live in a rather unique world with processes that work for sauna growing.

I've been meaning to show an example of this for a while now.
This damage is pretty common in the outdoor plants. It's the hit from a baby caterpillar. The little guy died and never did any more damage than this bit. You can see how it stretches across a couple sections of the fan leaf... I assume that was his path.
Captain Jacks Dead Bug Brew.
Thanks NCW!!!

DSCN6311.JPG

Yeah these crystals have to be used very sparingly. Even in soil if you use to many they create voids and miniature sinkholes as they dry and shrink. My goal is to keep the perlite a bit more moist at the top of the pots. I rarely go above 50% humidity so things dry fast. In my mind at least the perlite would suck water from the crystals like several miniature reservoirs spread throughout hopefully keeping it more evenly moist but not too swamp like. My plants look pretty healthy without them so maybe I'm just over thinking it. I just feel like the top several inches in my pots are waisted space since it dries so quickly.

It's the couple inches of evaporation zone at the top that sends the roots searching for the reservoir. I think of those top inches as support for the stalk.

It's the years of computer programming that makes me constantly tinker with stuff. I'll defer to the more experienced hands and shift my tinkering energy on another problem that doesn't really need fixing. .

I just transplanted some plants and that has to be one of the best parts of hempy. Very easy with not a single issue, just full speed ahead growth!

Thanks Tead for sharing the info! Happy New Year!

Very cool.

Ya know... Betty's replacement my not be as sexy, but I sure am diggin the remote data.... just wish it had an app for the computer rather than just the phone. Might be the best $20 I ever coughed up.

This is the bloom shed data.

Screenshot_20180101-145103.png

Screenshot_20180101-145111.png

I still use the old mercury thermometer with the humidity dial at the bottom. Close enough for my purposes, and cheap as dirt. :laughtwo:

Ya know... Betty's replacement my not be as sexy, but I sure am diggin the remote data.... just wish it had an app for the computer rather than just the phone. Might be the best $20 I ever coughed up.

This is the bloom shed data.

Screenshot_20180101-145103.png

Screenshot_20180101-145111.png
Oh shit Watch Out World Tead's moving into the technological era welcome to 2018 LOL that thermometer is awesome ur right tho to bad it didn't go to just ur phone but still very kool i wana get one that can do that now lol.

I still use the old mercury thermometer with the humidity dial at the bottom. Close enough for my purposes, and cheap as dirt. :laughtwo:

... and I'd kill for an old school needle with the H/L bonus needles.... I keep waiting for one to appear in my world, but Father Time has not smiled upon that effort yet.

Oh shit Watch Out World Tead's moving into the technological era welcome to 2018 LOL that thermometer is awesome ur right tho to bad it didn't go to just ur phone but still very kool i wana get one that can do that now lol.

La Crosse model #C84343
I think you can find them on Amazon for about $20 ish.

Honestly, I'd love love to dabble with a audrino self build feeding a log server... but $20 is a mighty tempting shortcut. I looked at server rack monitoring solutions, and while they would totally work, they want too many pennies for Tead's liking.

Hey tead how is the new year treating you so far? Good i hope. Your garden is lookn mighty fine as always sir. I had a quick question for ya. I believe u were the one to put an auto into a bigger hempy pot maybe 3 to a 5 gallon or sumthn like that i wana say it was a dark devil well i was wondering how did that work for you? If it's even you im thinkn about lol i hope it is since im guna be getting a shit ton of free auto beans i wana find a good way to get some good yields and not this 2.5 grams to a half oz crap i usually get altho my last 4 autos ive done i managed to get ever so slightly over an oz lol not much tho

Hey tead how is the new year treating you so far? Good i hope. Your garden is lookn mighty fine as always sir. I had a quick question for ya. I believe u were the one to put an auto into a bigger hempy pot maybe 3 to a 5 gallon or sumthn like that i wana say it was a dark devil well i was wondering how did that work for you? If it's even you im thinkn about lol i hope it is since im guna be getting a shit ton of free auto beans i wana find a good way to get some good yields and not this 2.5 grams to a half oz crap i usually get altho my last 4 autos ive done i managed to get ever so slightly over an oz lol not much tho

Perhaps you'd like to borrow my generator to power that spotlight you're focusing on my failures?!?!

They can't all be winners ehh?
So... yeah.... tho I was thinking it was just a DDA, I now notice it's the seed that came off a previous DDA. Probably crossed with UltraDog genetics, but it was an outdoor plant, so it could have been anything. 24" tall, 6" round. 50g of Osomo+ puts me at 4(ish) grams/L. Too much. Dunno what was going thru my head at the time.
DSCN63512.JPG

There is one good looking branch
DSCN6354.JPG

But generally, she just looks overfed
DSCN63492.JPG

Here she is next to a happy auto (PVC pot) and a male Malawi.
DSCN63521.JPG

Not really much I can do about it. She's been outside during the day and inside at night, but the temps are not helping her..... tho since Osmo is temp sensitive lowering nute levels with temp, perhaps the cooler temps are what's driving the decent looking growth.
Idunno

I'll let her ride and see what she (he?!?!) does.

Back
Top Bottom