wiki my brothers, wiki.

Nutrient Film Technique or NFT is a hydroponic technique whereby a very shallow stream of water containing all the dissolved nutrients required for plant growth is recirculated past the bare roots of plants in a watertight gully, also known as channels. Ideally, the depth of the recirculating stream should be very shallow, little more than a film of water, hence the name 'nutrient film'. This ensures that the thick root mat, which develops in the bottom of the channel, has an upper surface which, although moist, is in the air. Subsequently, there is an abundant supply of oxygen to the roots of the plants. A properly designed NFT system is based on using the right channel slope, the right flow rate and the right channel length. The main advantage of the NFT system over other forms of hydroponics is that the plant roots are exposed to adequate supplies of water, oxygen and nutrients. In all other forms of production there is a conflict between the supply of these requirements, since excessive or deficient amounts of one results in an imbalance of one or both of the others. NFT, because of its design, provides a system where all three requirements for healthy plant growth can be met at the same time, providing the simple concept of NFT is always remembered and practised. The result of these advantages is that higher yields of high quality produce are obtained over an extended period of cropping. A downside of NFT is that it has very little buffering against interruptions in the flow e.g. power outages, but overall, it is probably one of the more productive techniques.

The same design characteristics apply to all conventional NFT systems. While slopes along channels of 1:100 have been recommended, in practice it is difficult to build a base for channels that is sufficiently true to enable nutrient films to flow without ponding in locally depressed areas. Consequently, it is recommended that slopes of 1:30 to 1:40 are used. This allows for minor irregularities in the surface but, even with these slopes, ponding and waterlogging may occur. The slope may be provided by the floor, or benches or racks may hold the channels and provide the required slope. Both methods are used and depend on local requirements, often determined by the site and crop requirements.

As a general guide, flow rates for each gully should be 1 litre per minute. At planting, rates may be half this and the upper limit of 2L/min appears about the maximum. Flow rates beyond these extremes are often associated with nutritional problems. Depressed growth rates of many crops have been observed when channels exceed 12 metres in length. On rapidly growing crops, tests have indicated that, while oxygen levels remain adequate, nitrogen may be depleted over the length of the gully. Consequently, channel length should not exceed 10-15 metres. In situations where this is not possible, the reductions in growth can be eliminated by placing another nutrient feed half way along the gully and reducing flow rates to 1L/min through each outlet.

this is a quick look at how the system runs.when the pump comes on it flows water from the highest point then back down through the P.V.C and roots back down to the rez. and all over again.Its a recirculating N.F.T i guess u would call it.I understand the cunfusion, cause i always thaought it was ebb-n-flo til someone recently explained it to me..So i guess you could call it either..

:welcome: And thanks for stoping by all ODOROUS, TUNES, 420fied and MUSIK.thanx for the support.

420fied: i dont remember how you flushedyour system.DId you use a certain cleaner(ex : florakleen or anything like that. ) i use florakleen just wondering. I'm currently building an aero system and i'm running some test on it just want to make sure i cover my all aspects before i get to using it.:thanks:

:roorrip:

All I did was clean the inside of the pipes and res with hot, soapy, water. Then I dried everything up and ran RO water through the lines for an hour to flush everything out before I placed my new batch of clones in the system. I hope this answers your question.

thanks 420fied. yeah that answereds my question. Did you clean it while your grow was going or just at the end? i cant recall.

Weedy: i was in the same boat as you as far as the confusion.

Wheel:Thats what i thought it should be labeled as well.Thanks for the clearity.
you deserve a +rep piont for that without a doubt, it was a discussion i've had with many a people before over the years that never gets solved.Cause someone always has an objective P.O.V when it comes to this system inparticular.

well, im not sure my p.o.v. is anymore valid than anyone elses,

i think that everyone is bound by their unique perception of reality, and there is no single right way to see it. even when we both read the same sentence it invariably means something similar but slightly different for each of us.

convention is convention simply because thats the way that everyone does it. if we all started calling DWC "bubble water" then it's bubble water. effective communication is just based on correctly understanding the idea that you want to convey. since your system is so similar to nft, if i called it nft, i'd be very close on a lot of the aspects, and youd understand alot of things about the object i was describing.

anyways if you didn't really know the difference as defined by some "authority" nft would get you close, but it is better to be more accurately descriptive.

damn, this lemon skunk gets me thinking deep man. lol.

dude. i was pretty stoned yesterday. lol.

I must say you are one of my favorite peeps to talk to on this site. Thats so f*k'n hilarious.But yeah yer rite.Its all in how its percieved.I just know it works and it works DAMN well. Or at least i like to think so.But thanks for trying to help clear it up, but hell it is as it is, right?

Thanks for check'n in Jcool.Its all just starting to get fun the strech is now over and the buds are just now starting to show thier presense.

The next month is going to drive me nuts.God i love the anticipation

lol, thanks, i try not to get too off topic but when you post under the influence. . .

with that post i felt like i was under the influence..Good writings though..Damn that was heavy..lmfaoso to that i must pass you this..:passitleft:

ahh..now that was a good smoke session, noe if i can only figure aa way out to pass the dutch through the screen. that was the last of my lavader..God i need more of that med. If you ever get a chace to grow or try it if you haven't DAMN!!! its a top shelf strain forsure.

:thanks: mcbudz..I've been very sick so i havent had a chance to take some good photos fo an update but it's coming as soon as i can get out of bed.But thank god for the canna its helped me get through this.

I beleave its your hit:rollit:

I like deep conversations :slide: So I have been doing a bit of research on a subject that I cannot find a definite answer to.
That is "Removing the Fan leaves"
What got me started on this subject was research I had done based on a suggestion of a friend of mine. He has grown alot and I trust his advice. Now obviously based on the slight differences in grows even on 420. I think its safe to assume that what works for one might now work for another. His advice:
"musik, you have started to flush your almost ready to be harvest plants, you should remove a bunch of fan leaves to provide light to the smaller buds for the last 2 weeks, you will see significant growth there, and your plant isn't doing much with those at this point anyway."

So this subject has been highly debated. I see points on both sides. I am not sure that I want to do this, but if I can fatten up a few more budz and add a little wieght i'm down for that. What is your guys' opinion?

Musik \\\vVv///

Back
Top Bottom