It's Day 7 for the soil swicky clones.

I took them out of the bag today for a close inspection. They were looking too wet.

When I potted the cuttings I filled all the jars up full, except for one that I left half full.

It was the only one not looking overwatered.
20230211_080102.jpg

20230211_080044.jpg
Here is the new gradient. 2 at each level and 1 at the lowest.

Why is that??? :hmmmm:
If spagnum dries out it gets water repellent, so you need to keep it moist, but once its moist it wicks really well, so when you add a couple teaspoons of water, or a few drops out of a spray bottle, you can see it soaking outwards.

As long as it never dries its good stuff.

I think its worth it because a better seedling is a better plant down the road.

It usually takes 3-5 days starting with dry seeds. Thats a lot of drops of water. It sucks. 🤣

I could definitely try that. How often do you have to add water?
Depends in the size of the reservoir, I guess. I never paid that much attention to be honest. I check them every day and when they're empty or nearly so I set them in a slightly large cup with water and fill it up. Takes just a few seconds, but it's usually a few days in between fill ups.

If spagnum dries out it gets water repellent, so you need to keep it moist, but once its moist it wicks really well, so when you add a couple teaspoons of water, or a few drops out of a spray bottle, you can see it soaking outwards.

As long as it never dries its good stuff.

I think its worth it because a better seedling is a better plant down the road.

It usually takes 3-5 days starting with dry seeds. Thats a lot of drops of water. It sucks. 🤣
Does adding aloe or yucca to the water help rewet the sphagnum moss like it does with CSPM and soil?

20230211_162313.jpg

Day 13 for the 12/12 experiment. Still no sex showing.

20230212_053056.jpg

Each pot has used about 1.5" of water so far. The black line on the jar was Day 1.

Algae is starting. Time to change the reservoirs.

20230212_052222.jpg

Here is The Mutant and the biggest seedling.

20230212_052210.jpg

The Mutant is still mutanting.

20230212_053318.jpg

Day 11 for the bubble clones. 3 have roots, and 2 more have nubbies starting.

The 6th cutting, which is the biggest cutting, looks like nubbies will start soon.

6 for 6 would be nice😊

20230212_053559.jpg

Day 8, Inside the garbage bag of soil clones in swicks.

20230212_053702.jpg

They look much perkier today, even after a full spray down. The lower reservoir levels seem to be liked.

Are those things even sexually mature yet? They look like they're still throwing opposite nodes.
Its the 12/12 light experiment to see if 12/12 will reveal the sexes early. Hopefully before day 40. Day 35 would be fantastic. I need that tent so sooner is better lol. And no, they aren't mature yet.

Its the 12/12 light experiment to see if 12/12 will reveal the sexes early. Hopefully before day 40. Day 35 would be fantastic. I need that tent so sooner is better lol. And no, they aren't mature yet.
They have to be sexually mature to show sex so 12/12 from seed just allows them to show at the earliest possible time, but are you thinking it also speeds up the showing??

They have to be sexually mature to show sex so 12/12 from seed just allows them to show at the earliest possible time, but are you thinking it also speeds up the showing??
I'm hoping 12/12 will help weed out males quicker than 18/6. If it works I will grow one out to see how it flowers. The seedlings grow well at 12/12.

Someone, I think it was Keff, said he read an article on it, so I figured I got the seeds so lets try it. I have no idea of the science behind it.

I wanted to pop a bunch in swicky-pots too, so it fills 2 curiosities.

20230212_052302.jpg

The big swicker stopped swicking again so I moved it to a better spot in the tent, and put a much more absorbant swicky pad under it.

We shall see.

If this fails it gets a perlite bed.

The tomatoes in the Vivosun 6gals have wicks hanging out the bottom of the pots that are made with this much more absorbant synthetic wool, and they drink until the 10 litre pail goes dry, so there is hope.

20230212_052309.jpg

It has a lot of roots poking through.

Someone, I think it was Keff, said he read an article on it, so I figured I got the seeds so lets try it. I have no idea of the science behind it.

I wanted to pop a bunch in swicky-pots too, so it fills 2 curiosities.

I believe @StoneOtter had heard of the theory before but was unsure of the formula. I came across the recommendation on The Revs seed bank where he claimed if you expose a sprout to 12/12 for the first 10 days above ground it should show its sex by Day 30 give or take a few days.

I believe @StoneOtter had heard of the theory before but was unsure of the formula. I came across the recommendation on The Revs seed bank where he claimed if you expose a sprout to 12/12 for the first 10 days above ground it should show its sex by Day 30 give or take a few days.
Oh sweet! So I can up the lighting to 16/8 then?! Today is day 13 of 12/12.

Oh sweet! So I can up the lighting to 16/8 then?! Today is day 13 of 12/12.

Check out this fun little note I caught browsing Revs seed bank:

“Using a flowering photoperiod of 12/12 on sprouts for their first 10 days above ground, then switching them to an 18/6 photoperiod will allow you to easily sex them at 30 days of age—give or take 3 days”

What do you think of this? I’m wondering if it’s worth losing 60 hours of light

Back
Top Bottom