So Gee man, root washing. I up pot my babies at between two and three weeks of age, quite young because I don't want a knot of roots. Are you suggesting a gentle rinsing off of soil and a naked root planting? It makes sense to me in theory, and if done gently, I imagine it not to be too systemically shocking. Would one soak the soil off in a bowl say? Aren't you losing a lot of your root specific micro herd if you remove the soil and tease out the roots? I suppose one does a sort of cost benefit analysis post harvest.

Also Gee man, you asked me to let you know when my new journal is started. I've made my first posts here:

So Gee man, root washing. I up pot my babies at between two and three weeks of age, quite young because I don't want a knot of roots. Are you suggesting a gentle rinsing off of soil and a naked root planting? It makes sense to me in theory, and if done gently, I imagine it not to be too systemically shocking. Would one soak the soil off in a bowl say? Aren't you losing a lot of your root specific micro herd if you remove the soil and tease out the roots? I suppose one does a sort of cost benefit analysis post harvest.
I'm not suggesting it at all. I did it to the plants that I planted in the soil that I accidentally double-calciumed to stop them from hurting. The only one that has been harvested so far had incredible roots, but it may have had nothing to do with washing them. I have these 3 tortured clones so if they live I figured I would try it again on one and see if it grows better roots than the other 2.

Also Gee man, you asked me to let you know when my new journal is started. I've made my first posts here:

Sweet, I'm in!❤️👊

Mutey and Ikky only have a week left. I think I'm just going to put #'s 2 and 4 into the flower tent and they will be 2 weeks behind 1 and 3.

That way if small pot issues pop up in 1 and 3 I can be pre-emptive on 2 and 4.

It will help me dial in this Gaia mix, or not use it anymore.

Plus 2 is shaping beautifully. She deserves to shine.

I'll cut some clones from them to preserve RV. I want "that" cola back.

Disclaimer **Gee takes no responsibility if powdered dolomite is used anywhere** 🤣🤣🤣
I was rereading The Rev's book and he claims either is fine. I did see he says to use less of the powdered but that could just be a comparable weight thing.

What, in your mind, is/are the significant difference(s)?

@Azimuth how are the plants doing?
Not that great tbh.

The mother I was trying to save got pushed over the edge by the 1x flush so that was the first casualty.

The smaller plants are all showing N deficiencies but that may have more to do with the change of feed than the flush. About a week before the flush I decided to switch from my liquid JLF's to top dressing my dry crumbles and my guess is that between the time it takes to have those organic inputs broken down enough to matter, and the time it takes for the microbe infrastructure to reorganize itself to deliver the newly available nutes, a lag of at least 2-3 weeks is likely.

I'm just getting to the end of that period and it doesn't look like things are getting worse so I'm assuming the system is stabilizing and ginormous growth is dead ahead.

We'll see.

Where are you at? how many top waters vs reservoir fills?
The flush took a week plus to work off given the water bank stored in the soil. I just did the second top watering after adding my top dressing, and did add a little to the reservoir to keep those roots doing their thing. But I'll plan on keeping the soil much less wet than I have been.

What are your plants happiest at on the water stick meter?
That's a tough question. My meter is one of those double probe jobbies and the directions say not to put them near rocks which is near impossible to do given the 30% hydroton in my mix. So I can't just slide it in and take readings wherever I want. Instead I have to try multiple places at different levels to even get a reading which is a real pain. I'm planning to get a single stick probe version and, between that and the switch to perlite, things should be easier to monitor going forward.

Add to that that I have to keep my canopy very low and access to test locations is spotty at best.

The plants are still getting used to their new reality so what level they're happiest at is unknowable at this point, but they seem happy enough at lower levels on the meter. Down in the 4-6 level I don't see any wilting and my guess is the microbes are much happier down there, but that will be something I'll have to learn over time.

How about another brix reading?
That's the bright spot as an 11 reading was seen yesterday. Maybe I'll be able to leave bugs behind me.

I still need a better process to extract that one damn drop of sap from the leaves. What a complete pain in the ass! And that's not something I'll likely be doing very often if I can't get it done easier, so any tips there would be much appreciated.

Did the dolo water help or hurt?
I haven't actually done dolo water yet. I used my WCA and got a flush of calcium spots and haven't tried it again as I've been doing some reading on The Rev's calcium water. Don't seem to be getting new spots so that could have been a one off.

I could mix up a batch using the powdered version, but the prilled I'll have to order which I haven't done yet since I'm still pondering my course of action.

You should be starting to see changes by now.
The plant just flipped 3 weeks ago had the calcium spot issue, but now seems to be cranking along and that's the one I got the 11 on.

I do have my next plant in my new mix (perlite replaced hydroton) that I just up potted to its flowering container so that one will be a better test as I can run it with less water from the start.

That one's a seedling of a CBG plant (for a guy that doesn't grow seedlings I sure seem to be growing a lot of them all of a sudden) so I'll see what differences I can observe with lower water levels early on.

Azi, how are they looking today?
Things seem to have stabilized. No new calcium spots, the N issue does not seem to be spreading so I feel I may be getting to the end of the transition process and results from here on will give me a better sense as to what the new combination of things is capable of.

I was rereading The Rev's book and he claims either is fine. I did see he says to use less of the powdered but that could just be a comparable weight thing.

What, in your mind, is/are the significant difference(s)?

Not that great tbh.

The mother I was trying to save got pushed over the edge by the 1x flush so that was the first casualty.

The smaller plants are all showing N deficiencies but that may have more to do with the change of feed than the flush. About a week before the flush I decided to switch from my liquid JLF's to top dressing my dry crumbles and my guess is that between the time it takes to have those organic inputs broken down enough to matter, and the time it takes for the microbe infrastructure to reorganize itself to deliver the newly available nutes, a lag of at least 2-3 weeks is likely.

I'm just getting to the end of that period and it doesn't look like things are getting worse so I'm assuming the system is stabilizing and ginormous growth is dead ahead.

We'll see.

The flush took a week plus to work off given the water bank stored in the soil. I just did the second top watering after adding my top dressing, and did add a little to the reservoir to keep those roots doing their thing. But I'll plan on keeping the soil much less wet than I have been.

That's a tough question. My meter is one of those double probe jobbies and the directions say not to put them near rocks which is near impossible to do given the 30% hydroton in my mix. So I can't just slide it in and take readings wherever I want. Instead I have to try multiple places at different levels to even get a reading which is a real pain. I'm planning to get a single stick probe version and, between that and the switch to perlite, things should be easier to monitor going forward.

Add to that that I have to keep my canopy very low and access to test locations is spotty at best.

The plants are still getting used to their new reality so what level they're happiest at is unknowable at this point, but they seem happy enough at lower levels on the meter. Down in the 4-6 level I don't see any wilting and my guess is the microbes are much happier down there, but that will be something I'll have to learn over time.

That's the bright spot as an 11 reading was seen yesterday. Maybe I'll be able to leave bugs behind me.

I still need a better process to extract that one damn drop of sap from the leaves. What a complete pain in the ass! And that's not something I'll likely be doing very often if I can't get it done easier, so any tips there would be much appreciated.

I haven't actually done dolo water yet. I used my WCA and got a flush of calcium spots and haven't tried it again as I've been doing some reading on The Rev's calcium water. Don't seem to be getting new spots so that could have been a one off.

I could mix up a batch using the powdered version, but the prilled I'll have to order which I haven't done yet since I'm still pondering my course of action.

The plant just flipped 3 weeks ago had the calcium spot issue, but now seems to be cranking along and that's the one I got the 11 on.

I do have my next plant in my new mix (perlite replaced hydroton) that I just up potted to its flowering container so that one will be a better test as I can run it with less water from the start.

That one's a seedling of a CBG plant (for a guy that doesn't grow seedlings I sure seem to be growing a lot of them all of a sudden) so I'll see what differences I can observe with lower water levels early on.

Things seem to have stabilized. No new calcium spots, the N issue does not seem to be spreading so I feel I may be getting to the end of the transition process and results from here on will give me a better sense as to what the new combination of things is capable of.
I will break an answer to your post down later, I'm busy today, but I figured you would see issues before it got better and around today it should be getting better. Brix 11 is fantastic, the snowball grows👍👊❤️. Chat later.

How much stem do you keep when taking a brix reading smooshing! Any, none, all?
I break it off just into the leaf to remove the junction going to all blades, then roll the leaf into a ball and roll it around firmly between my fingers until my fingers get wettish. Then I pinch a small piece off and squeeze sap out thru that hole.

I will break an answer to your post down later, I'm busy today, but I figured you would see issues before it got better and around today it should be getting better. Brix 11 is fantastic, the snowball grows👍👊❤️. Chat later.
Yeah, I'm not all that animated about the issues I'm seeing. I figured there would be a transition and as I previously stated, I already know the results I got from past practices so if I wanted different results that meant I had to try different things.

The drier soil makes great logical sense, now I just have to see it play out. You'll never learn to swim if you don't let go of the side of the pool. :thumb:

I break it off just into the leaf to remove the junction going to all blades, then roll the leaf into a ball and roll it around firmly between my fingers until my fingers get wettish. Then I pinch a small piece off and squeeze sap out thru that hole.
And which hole is that? :hmmmm:

I break it off just into the leaf to remove the junction going to all blades, then roll the leaf into a ball and roll it around firmly between my fingers until my fingers get wettish.
That's what I've been doing but maybe haven't been working it enough. The material does seem to dampen but no where near enough to squeeze out a drop.

I end up smashing it in a pair of vice grips but that's no way to live. :(

That's what I've been doing but maybe haven't been working it enough. The material does seem to dampen but no where near enough to squeeze out a drop.

I end up smashing it in a pair of vice grips but that's no way to live. :(
It's those girly hands from the picture😉. Squeeze it manly🤣

You're a brute! Nice finger work! That last drop I got I used a garlic press gently, so gently. I usually get frustrated and have a hissy with this job! Two little drops is all. Hehe

Back
Top Bottom