The Hexapus's Garden

The res ph was 5.7 and 670 ppm yesterday- exactly the same as when I filled it ten days earlier. It's so stable it's scary- makes me have to play god and decide what ph is 'perfect'. And I realize there isn't really one perfect ph level. I don't know if it swings a bit in the root zone or not.
I'll give them a good flush today- though they do get a good runoff when fed.

I mentioned it partly because it's the two perlite ones that show the darkest green. The other ones in coco and rockwool look reasonably normal. I thought maybe there is something about the hempy reservoir bottoms on the perlite containers that's making a difference. Or it could be just coincidence.

I think I will drill normal drainage holes in the one that's worst affected and see if it makes a difference. I may up them to 4 waterings a day as well.

No point doing that with hempys the res isn't deep and its still kinda drain to waste but not exactly technically its passive hydro

It can give you a picture of what your roots and medium are doing, if
issues are occurring, an easy way of finding if a flush is needed..

It can give you a picture of what your roots and medium are doing, if
issues are occurring, an easy way of finding if a flush is needed..

Run off in hempy is pointless and will have you chasing your tail, normally i would agree with you just not in the case of hempys. Bout drove myself nuts reading runoff in hempy, its not the same as running even peat moss or soil.

:thumb:

great job weaseley,, every plant looks great,,, hey, maybe scattered attention is what the plants want after all,, maybe they are more independent than i thought,, :cheer:

cheers weaseley,, way to show how it's done friend,, :goodjob:

Thank you friends for chatting about it, while I fell back to sleep for a couple hours. :)
Each one of the solos cup girls does look like an individual - and I can see subtle signs of complaining from most of them, as usual. Hard to expect them all to be happy squashed in those tiny little containers and fed all the same stuff three times a day by a machine. Hey, I never liked living that way myself.
I'm waffling now on what to do with the mini- hempies. Maybe I'll poke and prod them, maybe I'll just leave them and see what happens - since I've already cut most of the N out of their diet.
First - I need a coffee...

Ok I went and bothered the solo cup girls for a bit. I tested the runoff on all of them. The perlite ones seemed to be higher- average 6.5, while the coco and rockwool ones were closer to 6.2. I won't read too much into that for now- just gave them all a good flush and poked out the drain holes better. I've never found much joy in measuring runoff.
It does tell me that the ph is swinging in the containers. The res was still at 5.7. This means I don't have to play god so much after all (whew). I can water on the low end and expect a ph range to develop.
:thumb:

The girls are doing pretty well, all things considered. So far DTW is proving pretty painless. (Knock on wood, lol).

Found out I actually have three mini hempies going, not two. I really should spend more time in there...
Thanks guys for the input. ❤️

I think with hempys its good to flush here and there i dont have a set time I'll flush besides the harvest flush, i just do it when I think it could use it. Sometimes i have to poke the hole on my little hempys because one minute I'll be watering and I'll notice that no waters coming out the hole, so it's a good idea to keep an eye on that. I will say perlite hempys have a little learning curve (more like just adapting to a different medium) as im sure you remember i was running peat moss before i switched to hempy and im glad i did. Sorry for the rant just a couple things were running through my mind when i was reading your last couple posts.

Thanks for swinging by Stihl Logger. :thumb: It's very fun growing these little things. Seems like a great way to try new strains and whatnot. It's also been ages since I've grown untrained plants and it's lovely to see some again.

Thanks Lexort. It's always good to get a little prod from the grow gods and remember the basics. The perlite was so fluffy when I put it in that I somehow pictured water just running through it like a sieve and flushing well with every feeding. It's not like that now at all of course. It was hard to even poke a nail in there to clear the hole- solid with roots.

heya mate,, just an excited note,, mama thai reg,, pacing,, pacing,, back and forth,, then,,, "IT'S A GIRL"!!!!!,, :cheer:

34 days to sexed,, cool as all get out,, thanks friend,, :high-five:

A couple of pictures from the third and last Malawi girl to be chopped. This one flowered for 102 days.

image36513.jpg

image36515.jpg

image36514.jpg

Frosty...really nice flowers weasel...

Thanks Grizz. I think my next run of the Malawis will be better than this one. I finally got around to replacing all my bulbs on Sunday after using these same bulbs, which actually were cheap-ass bulbs to begin with for, (dare I say it?) over 15 months. They were noticeably very dim :( The new ones are Hortilux and they are way way brighter looking. Not surprisingly.
This was just a trial run. I put three new Malawis into flowering on Sunday- a clone of each of the original three.
I'm amazed at how nicely these plants grew, under the circumstances. And I love the smoke so far.
I'm always amazed though, when any of my plants grow nicely.

No your not... Well we're not, so you shouldn't be, lol... Well holy hell, can't wait to see what next run does with the dimmer switch turned up, lol....

But I am... Honestly. I spent years being specially trained not to be surprised when the plants looked like they'd been through a nuclear war. I always cherish being pleasantly surprised when they don't.

But I am... Honestly. I spent years being specially trained not to be surprised when the plants looked like they'd been through a nuclear war. I always cherish being pleasantly surprised when they don't.

That is about how i feel about my girls kinda use to em looking rough lol

How did I miss this? I'm here, I'm here!!! :yahoo: I have to run off again though, another PM I need to catch real quick. I'll be back tomorrow if not tonight.

............................. I forgot. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom