The Hexapus's Garden

Thank you. Ideas are bouncing around in my head. You're probably right though- it's not worth setting up another complete system. And I can't be there enough to manage without. Unless I made the drain hole higher, to last five or six days?
It's not the setting up time that gets to me- it's all the different feeding mixes of the perpetual grow. Different strains from pure indica to pure sativa, and all different stages. Mixing up at least three or four different meals for the plants, mixing up the reservoir concoctions, and having to wait to let the ph adjustment settle so that it doesn't move on me. It's a headache. I always do it in a hurry. Then I go away for a week and have to trust I didn't screw up.
So yeah...it would be easier to do a dtw and soilless side by side. Unless that idea of making a larger hempy res (hole higher up) could work?

Part of the reason I'm trying the Dtw thing is to expand my horizons and give myself a prod. Somewhere down the line I want to switch to soil. Oh to be free of F$&@ing PH adjustments!

Yeah I think it sounds weird too, having a built in cesspool. Maybe if I hit it with beneficials regularly. VillageIdiot just uses teas for feeding. I've yet to dissect his methods though.

Monopus, that's funny. I might have to use that one on the missus sometime. Ha. I will carefully consider the context tho, ha. Cheers, monopus, ha

I hope they taste lemony enough.
The other day I made some fish hydrolysate and was thinking that maybe you had access to fish scraps.

I usually bury my fish,crab, and shellfish leftovers in part of my garden, or the compost. I also have a large metal barrel in my greenhouse that I sometimes throw fish carcasses into and cover with soil layers. It seems to breakdown into a nice ( 'nice' is maybe the wrong word ) fertilizer after a year or two. Bapple recently posted a great tutorial on making fish hydrosolate recently on the 'what are you planning for your 2016 grow' thread. I have a huge variety of unexplored options here for making things with kelp and seaweed and crab/shrimp shells. I also live in a sort of tundra landscape which is 90% peat moss. Just need to get around to it...

I usually bury my fish,crab, and shellfish leftovers in part of my garden, or the compost. I also have a large metal barrel in my greenhouse that I sometimes throw fish carcasses into and cover with soil layers. It seems to breakdown into a nice ( 'nice' is maybe the wrong word ) fertilizer after a year or two. Bapple recently posted a great tutorial on making fish hydrosolate recently on the 'what are you planning for your 2016 grow' thread. I have a huge variety of unexplored options here for making things with kelp and seaweed and crab/shrimp shells. I also live in a sort of tundra landscape which is 90% peat moss. Just need to get around to it...

I will check that thread, sounds interesting. Very cool that you have access to peat moss, it is kind of costly here (not really costly, but they only sell very large bales), peat is an awesome addition to the soil. I would love to get my hands on some fresh seaweed.

you live in my front yard? :hmmmm:

thanks for the reminder. kelp harvest time. :)

Oops sorry Roach- it was actually in a different thread that she posted that tutorial. Here it is- Things you do to reduce cost of growing! - Page 3
Thank you very much, I figured it was in another thread :)
and where's the link on how not to barf while blending fish? dang.. i have a hard enough time with the chicken guano and beach scraps lol. now i gotta do it :rofl:
Fish is surprisingly easy to blend, what is hard is to avoid the nightmares that come afterwards, specially the sound of the bones cracking against the blades

I dragged the solo cups into the veg room to try and get some better light on the subjects.

image36493.jpg

image36492.jpg

It's become obvious since last time I checked, that the problem on the White Widow, that I convinced myself was wind burn, actually is N toxicity and gotten much worse (well, it had some wind burn too...). Definitely giving it a bad hair day. I mixed different nutes accordingly. Less calmag now and mostly just bloom booster nutes no N.
The other perlite one (Ace mix 1) is also looking a bit too green to me. I don't know if it's related to the mini-hempy style- or just finicky strains. Never had an nitrogen OD before with these bloom nutes though, when growing in soilless. I'm going run off and to go ask Tead about it...
Tead, I wonder if maybe the little hempy reservoirs in the containers are causing ph swings? I may drill holes in the bottom to make them into regular containers. Not sure if that will cause them to dry out too much between waterings though?
I'm going to sneak in there during lights out and see if I can drain out and collect some of that hempy res stuff to test the ph.

image36499.jpg

I really like the look and shape of this Ace mix 1 plant for some reason.

image36490.jpg

image36491.jpg

The Critical cheese is also fairly nice.

image36488.jpg
The other Ace Mix (2) is becoming a strange blob.

I wonder if maybe the little hempy reservoirs in the containers are causing ph swings? I may drill holes in the bottom to make them into regular containers. Not sure if that will cause them to dry out too much between waterings though?

I decided this theory makes no sense. The plants suck up that water in the bottom in a few hours or less.

have you checked the p/h of res?

Lemme whip out my 2 cents here...
So, I've totally noticed huge differences in the 2L vs 2.5gal container sizes.
My max nute level is just less. My large containers top out at about 4.5tsp bloom nutes/gal. My smaller 2L container seems only able to hit 3tsp bloom nutes/gal.
Temps seem to hit smaller pots harder. This makes sense to me since root temps are important and the smaller pots are just less mass to hold or dissipate heat.
Have you flushed these at all lately? Could be that the packed cups are retaining spots of nutrient or salt that are building up? Maybe they just need a good flush.
I'm gonna have more thoughts here I bet... but I'll toss those out there.

I just can't believe they're doing as good as they are. It's blowing me away. Your little solo cups will be where I point to in the future when the subject comes up in random threads.

have you checked the p/h of res?

No point doing that with hempys the res isn't deep and its still kinda drain to waste but not exactly technically its passive hydro

Back
Top Bottom