The Living Medicine Cabinet

Well the jury is in and I'm....

WP_20150731_16_43_05_Pro.jpg

...a little alkaline. Maybe 7.5? So we could be seeing a lockout... But now maybe this is just a deficiency in the soil? Or maybe this is still something to do with the lighting? I tested both the seedling soil, and the soil I cut last night and they both have pretty much identical PH. For all those interested, I also tested my tap water which I have been using because I just ran out of RO water. The tap water came out neutral at a PH of 7.

So I gave in and put a CFL fixture in. One 3500k bulb and one 2700k bulb. I'm purposefully not putting the lights right down over the plants so they stretch.

WP_20150731_16_01_47_Pro.jpg

C'99 is still looking like crap.
WP_20150731_16_01_56_Pro.jpg

I'll likely be picking up some peat moss to mix into the soil and to top dress the plants with. Hopefully that will lower the PH a bit. I just ran by my local hydro store and they don't have any peat moss...womp. I'll have to see if my local Lowes or Home Depot have any in.

Glad you mentioned it PNW because here's another update!

C99 is looking alot better. Her discoloration has almost entirely disappeared on the upper leaves. The bottom leaves are permanently burned however. But she is really starting to sprout up where I topped her... I don't know if it took properly. Instead of two new branches it looks like it might just be two new sets of leaves growing in over each other. It's hard to tell at this point, so we'll see.

WP_20150803_07_01_11_Pro.jpg

We have a little stretching going on and finally some roots are poking out of the bottom of the cups. So I'm a happy guy. My next goal is to get them as deep of a green as possible. Then I'll know they are healthy and not wanting.

WP_20150803_07_01_01_Pro.jpg

I'm trying to save a tomato and sage seedling :)...so those would be the two new companions. Also the CFL fixture is clamped where my fan used to be. Until I'm done with the cfls the fan will lying there.

WP_20150803_07_01_56_Pro.jpg

sweet man! they both look much better. super glad they are taking off

At this point, my goal is get them to fill out the cups and transplant. I don't know if they'll get much bigger above ground in their current containers. But who knows. I get a feeling they may just burst up and out in a little while. I don't want to jinx myself, so I'll just wait and see.

GUYS!!

Have you seen this pictorial? Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

I thought I had a mag or zinc deficiency but I think I know better now. All thanks to this friggen awesome post put up by the mods. I am pretty sure I had/still sort of have a calcium deficiency caused by a coconut water application I did two weeks ago. Its know that too much potassium can block out calcium.

From the post:

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/1134Magnesium-11.jpg

Calcium (Ca) -Macro Nutrient and an Immobile element.

Calcium is another important element that helps the plants cell walls, cell division in making the plants stems, stalks, branches stronger, as well as contributing to root growth, mostly the newer root hairs, Calcium also helps enhancing the uptake of K in the the plants roots. Calcium moves really slow within the plant and tends to concentrate in roots and older growth.

When plants exhibit a Calcium deficiency the younger leaves are the first to show it as well as older leaves. The Leaf tips will die back, the tips may curl, and growth of the plant is stunted. The plant can show a weakness in the stems and branches, as well as a under developed root system that can lead to bacteria problems with roots dieing off. Having slow plant transpiration rates can aggravate the uptake of calcium. Make sure your soil isn't very acidic, for calcium gets harder to be absorbed through acidic soils, Which leads to having a plant that is deficient in Calcium. The leaf tips, edges and new growth will or may turn a yellow/brown colour that happen in spots and often surrounded by a sharp brown outlined edge and then the leaf tips die back. If too much calcium is given at an early stage of growth it can stunt the growth of your plants. Having to much of calcium will also flocculate when a concentrated form is combined with potassium. The parts affected by a calcium deficiency are the roots. Stem or petiole, young or old leaves.

Too much Calcium will lead to other micronutrient deficiencies. Calcium fixation is caused by many types of mediums such as: clay soils, unbuffered coco and humus. The lime tends to bond to these soils very easily. The stems of the plant will not be able to hold the plant up and will exhibit a white brown in between the veins of the leaves when having too much calcium. Also having to much potassium and or nitrogen will cause a calcium lockout.

That is exactly what happened! The newer leaves were hit first, while the older leaves yellowed (possibly from a nitrogen deficiency because of high PH).

Phew...I don't know why its so relieving to know...maybe its just because everything seemed to click into place when I read that. I had a huge "AHA moment" I suppose.

GUYS!!

Have you seen this pictorial? Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

I thought I had a mag or zinc deficiency but I think I know better now. All thanks to this friggen awesome post put up by the mods. I am pretty sure I had/still sort of have a calcium deficiency caused by a coconut water application I did two weeks ago. Its know that too much potassium can block out calcium.

From the post:

That is exactly what happened! The newer leaves were hit first, while the older leaves yellowed (possibly from a nitrogen deficiency because of high PH).

Phew...I don't know why its so relieving to know...maybe its just because everything seemed to click into place when I read that. I had a huge "ahhah moment" I suppose.

AHA! i told you to be careful with that coco water man....lol well glad you have diagnosed the problem

AHA! i told you to be careful with that coco water man....lol well glad you have diagnosed the problem

As I have said a few time already :) trial and error baby!

I went into this specifically knowing the potential danger of certain products (I'm looking at you Coconut Water and Malted Barley!). I wanted to test them out and show how not to use them, or how to use them properly. We learn from others' mistakes. Its the human way.

As I have said a few time already :) trial and error baby!

I went into this specifically knowing the potential danger of certain products (I'm looking at you Coconut Water and Malted Barley!). I wanted to test them out and show how not to use them, or how to use them properly. We learn from others' mistakes. Its the human way.

yeah its all good man at the end of the day it doesnt really matter what other people think. all that matters is your contempt with what your do

yeah its all good man at the end of the day it doesnt really matter what other people think. all that matters is your contempt with what your do

I had my reservations. I don't think I'll be using it anymore in this grow...or ever perhaps. I smartly bought fish fert and kelp meal my last grow and that's really all I need to have a successful grow. They are very versatile amendments that should be in any organic growers repertoire. Everything else is just fluff.

Thanks for the tip on the sunglasses ClosedCircuit. It got me off my ass to finally get some eye protection so I can sit and stare all night if I want. Also I can see so much better! (Duh...) I not only finally put some regular sunglasses in the flowering room, I also just got a pair of HPS sunglasses for the room as well and they work as a camera filter so--- happy days:thumb:

Did you use powdered coconut water or the fresh stuff?
Thank you for sharing your findings!
Reps+

I used the powdered stuff. Apparently alot of the drinks you buy on the market here are also just rehydrated coconut water. I'm sure down where you are there is alot better access to the real deal....but I still question its use as an additive.

Thanks for the tip on the sunglasses ClosedCircuit. It got me off my ass to finally get some eye protection so I can sit and stare all night if I want. Also I can see so much better! (Duh...) I not only finally put some regular sunglasses in the flowering room, I also just got a pair of HPS sunglasses for the room as well and they work as a camera filter so--- happy days:thumb:

You're supposed to wear them on your face! :laughtwo:

I used the powdered stuff. Apparently alot of the drinks you buy on the market here are also just rehydrated coconut water. I'm sure down where you are there is alot better access to the real deal....but I still question its use as an additive.

I'm not sure if I will use it now that I have seen your results. Besides coconut bunches are awfully heavy.

Back
Top Bottom