The Living Medicine Cabinet

Yes I second the request for info on the vortex brewer. I have no idea what that is. I use rainwater for my grow and lately I've been tossing a bubbler in the barrel just for the heck of it.
I do feel like a bubbler must oxygenate the water somewhat by it's movement if nothing else. But that's just a feeling. I think I know a way to test it, unscientifically. Take two containers of drinking water- let it sit for a while - bubble one of them- and drink some of each. It's quite easy to tell by taste when water has lost its oxygen and gone 'flat'. I tried an experiment once I read about where I poured a glass of 'flat' water back and forth from one cup to another. After a minute or so I tasted it and it was obviously better than it had been a minute before.
As for its effect on the plant - I don't know how to test or quantify that but it can only be a good thing I think.

That is pretty much how a vortex brewer works. Water can and should be oxygenated by collapsing and spinning on itself. This video just shows how one works and uses the same basic design I am interested in.

That was a very nice update ClosedCircuit, I really like what you did with the tea. A vortex brewer sounds cool. Mind sharing a pic of one and explaining a bit more about it? I have been aching to do an upgrade in my tea brewer. I will get a hobbyist microscope soon, would be interesting to check the before and after pictures, I really want to see by myself what's going on!

I linked a video above so you can see a DIY one.

Getting a microscope will really open your eyes to what's in your teas. Its the simplest way to observe the true diversity of your tea.

WP_20150812_17_13_48_Pro.jpg

Thought I would let you all see how many new tops shot out of afgooey.

46 Days?

Sounds about right. They went in the ground 7/7 and here we are. Finally got some solid vegging going on. One thing I can tell you is a pleasant surprise is apparently under LED's every node wants to almost over produce. New foliage is springing up all over the plants on every node. Definitely didn't have that with CFL.

WP_20150815_19_06_24_Pro_highres.jpg

Here's that new foliage in action on Afgooey. Starting to get pretty dense.

WP_20150815_20_11_23_Pro_highres.jpg

C99 is finally really bouncing back. The topping took and you can see a bunch of new vegetation popping out. It too is getting all kinds of new growth at lower nodes. However, on the C99 the growth is still a bit small to photograph.
WP_20150815_20_11_33_Pro_highres.jpg

It's nice to see they are happy about all the new space they have. I have been waiting for signs of that uptick of growth when plants have found a rhythm and are vegging comfortably. I'm going to assemble the v-scrog this weekend because they are about tall enough to start flattening out. I'm going to have alot of fun filling the net before I flip the lights. :thumb:

WP_20150815_20_11_43_Pro_highres.jpg

I'm going to hit the girls with a full on tea on Tuesday if all goes as planned. I will start brewing it tomorrow and go for around 36 hours. I don't usually feel like 24 is enough for a really robust tea, unless your inoculant is very rich from the get go. I'll walk through that in the next post most likely.

Have a good night everyone! I've been burning a little too much of the midnight oil and some fuel flavored flower. :) So I'm calling it a night early.

Right after one more bowl ;)

Let me join you. I'll use Auto Destroyer though. Saving the Diesel for when I run out.

:passitleft:

I really like the LEDs my for a first grow. I don't have anything to compare but it does seem like you can easily control the light height in order to push for nice tight node spacing and lots of vegetative growth.

Unfortunately in my set up the light wont change heights. But yes, its turning out to have it's advantages.

Nice looking Vscrog, I just put a few screws around the edge of my Cabinet to hold the screen in place their's enough things hanging around in there.

some extra thoughts.

I noticed the same thing on my PVC Vscrog I fixed that by putting 2 cross beams just at the elbow, it ain't goin no where now. Thats if yours is not glued yet.

Nice looking Vscrog, I just put a few screws around the edge of my Cabinet to hold the screen in place their's enough things hanging around in there.

some extra thoughts.

I noticed the same thing on my PVC Vscrog I fixed that by putting 2 cross beams just at the elbow, it ain't goin no where now. Thats if yours is not glued yet.

Ya you had told me about that before and I kept thinking about your advice when I was putting it together. Its not glued and I could do it, but I'm thinking at this point to do it would be awkward. Those braces would be right over the plants. And there isn't much room to move the plants sideways. If it were a bigger screen and grow area I would 100% be doing that. There's no way around it at some point if you are using PVC. I can see why Icemud made his out of wood.

Oh yeah I'll be staying around for the duration if no one objects?

Hell ya stick around and share your thoughts. I credited the Vscrog to you earlier in the journal. Your bloom chamber being similar to mine was the reason I went with the V. It also helped me estimate if the Mars 96x3 would be too much. So thanks for running an informative journal that I could steal from. :)

UPDATE

I told you all last week I was going to hit the plants with a full tea, but I never did go out and get new tea brewing bags so I...err....ya. :smokin:

BUT WHAT I DID DO...was exactly what I did last week. Same drench. But for those who weren't listening that was one teaspoon of kelp, fish hydrolysate, and molasses to 1000ml of water.

I then top dressed again, but this time I did what I said I would do last week. And that was to put down some inoculant. After the drench I "spread" the left over kelp mash out like so.

WP_20150818_23_01_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20150818_23_01_42_Pro.jpg

Then threw some ground up malted barley on that, the mycho next, and about a quarter inch of soil (not pictured :clap::smokin:) over allll dat.

WP_20150818_23_06_14_Pro.jpg

I also turned the bloom spectrum on. So I have the dual veg and flower spectrums going. The plants are starting to stretch in response which surprised me. I thought it might be too much, but they are loving it. Now I know I can pretty much turn on the second spectrum as soon as they start vegging and are done being weak seedlings.

Back
Top Bottom