The Living Medicine Cabinet

Hey, do you all think this could be another Calcium deficiency in C99?? I'm debating if I should go get some Epsom salt for my drench tomorrow.

WP_20150914_08_55_17_Pro.jpg

Looks like it to me. I would add some cal/mag. :peace:

So having never messed around with cal/mag and Epsom salt. I know that Epsom salt is actually just magnesium sulfate, which can help increase calcium absorption. Are there any clear cut signs that the soil is actually depleted and needs cal/mag? It seems like it could be a couple different issues.

So having never messed around with cal/mag and Epsom salt. I know that Epsom salt is actually just magnesium sulfate, which can help increase calcium absorption. Are there any clear cut signs that the soil is actually depleted and needs cal/mag? It seems like it could be a couple different issues.

I don't like to add the salts to my dirt. I feel like it is difficult to flush out when you need to. I just use cal/mag from Amazon. I add 10ml to each gal of water and I have not had any issues since I started. I tried Epsom salts first and I didn't feel like I had control with that. I saved that salts for my bath after splitting firewood. :) :peace:

I`ve always thought Cal/mag dif showed up in older leaves first as brown spots within the leaf. I might be blind but all I see is a slightly yellow tip on an older leaf and a paler green leaf. Feed more nitrogen.

Hey there CC - I feel ya on the everyday getting in the way of your growing adventures. Not to worry mate, its all good. Just keep the ladies healthy and happy and that really doesn't take much TBH.

Don't sweat the supposed cal/mag thing, if you think the ladies need a little boost, brew up a Kelp Meal tea 1/4 cup per 5-gallons of water. bubble for a day and water in. Problems solved. It wont be subtle either. You could actually add in 1 tbs of BSM to the kelp meal tea if you have it on hand (I think you do). That will fix the ladies up .... they look pretty good the way they are so don't go crazy fixing shit that ain't broke.

Keep it green!

I don't like to add the salts to my dirt. I feel like it is difficult to flush out when you need to. I just use cal/mag from Amazon. I add 10ml to each gal of water and I have not had any issues since I started. I tried Epsom salts first and I didn't feel like I had control with that. I saved that salts for my bath after splitting firewood. :) :peace:

That's my exact concern with it too and why I have never used it before...but it was biting at me that maybe there was more to it.

Its approaching fire wood splitting season again. Time to bust out the epsom salt :)

I`ve always thought Cal/mag dif showed up in older leaves first as brown spots within the leaf. I might be blind but all I see is a slightly yellow tip on an older leaf and a paler green leaf. Feed more nitrogen.

It does in fact show up in the older leaves first. I learned that much the first time around. It does however have a similar appearance to what is pictured. Specifically, that center leaf has a lighter edge running all around the border of the leaf. Which is very similar to a nitrogen deficiency as well. Honestly, that was the first thing I figured it was. I will probably prepare another soil top dress tomorrow alongside the drench to get a little more N in there just in case.

Hey there CC - I feel ya on the everyday getting in the way of your growing adventures. Not to worry mate, its all good. Just keep the ladies healthy and happy and that really doesn't take much TBH.

Don't sweat the supposed cal/mag thing, if you think the ladies need a little boost, brew up a Kelp Meal tea 1/4 cup per 5-gallons of water. bubble for a day and water in. Problems solved. It wont be subtle either. You could actually add in 1 tbs of BSM to the kelp meal tea if you have it on hand (I think you do). That will fix the ladies up .... they look pretty good the way they are so don't go crazy fixing shit that ain't broke.

Keep it green!

My regular drench is kelp meal, fish fert, and molasses. What is BSM? I am not familiar with at abbreviation. I see people use it and I keep forgetting to ask what they are referring to. The only thing I can think is Black Strap Molasses?

I'm not too bent out of shape...I'm just trying to think ahead for flower where I definitely don't want a deficiency to get worse and cause a hermie (worst case).

BSM = Black Strap Molassas.

BSM = Black Strap Molassas.

Thank you Sue.

Also a brief update for everyone. I will most likely flip over to 12/12 tomorrow. I may give them another day or two to see how they respond to the drench, but that is probably unnecessary. They are at the point where if the root balls gets much more filled out I could have a problem on my hands in flower. Also they have pretty much filled out the screen. Afgooey is not going to stretch much more in veg, and I don't want C99 get out of hand later on....so its now or never.

I will be back with a more detailed update in a day or so!

So I didn't do a drench yesterday because the girl weren't quite ready. I watered them a day late back on Sunday. But I checked them this morning and the soil is dry enough for a lighter drench tonight. So I should be (if I don't forget :) ) turning the lights off at 7 or 8 tonight and turning them back on tomorrow morning to get them started with 12/12.

Stay tuned!

Back
Top Bottom