I remember as a kid growing up with a set of cast-iron frying pans and what a nightmare they were to clean because everything stuck to them like concrete. I occasionally listen to, John Hodgman's, podcast and he is always raving about his cast iron pans and how much he loves them. Apparently they are, "seasoned" which from what I gather means they don't ever actually clean the grease off them so there is always an old rancid layer that acts like a nonstick layer? Maybe I am wrong about this but I would rather stick with my Teflon personally.

I remember as a kid growing up with a set of cast-iron frying pans and what a nightmare they were to clean because everything stuck to them like concrete. I occasionally listen to, John Hodgman's, podcast and he is always raving about his cast iron pans and how much he loves them. Apparently they are, "seasoned" which from what I gather means they don't ever actually clean the grease off them so there is always an old rancid layer that acts like a nonstick layer? Maybe I am wrong about this but I would rather stick with my Teflon personally.
There's no rancid grease. When you "season" cast iron, you put a very light layer of oil on the pan. Basically, wipe it on then wipe it off again as if you never wanted it on in the first place. Then, you heat the pan past the smoke point of the oil. It actually causes a polymerization to occur that binds this non-stick coating to the pan. Properly seasoned cast iron cleans very easily and, as I mentioned, is as good as non-stick. I even use soap (on occasion and never anything with lye!) and don't worry about removing the seasoning. But, once I rinse, I dry it off, put it on a burner to heat up, and re-apply a light coat of oil. It not only maintains the seasoning, but it keeps the cast iron from rusting.

Teflon and those other non-stick coatings tend to chip over time and you get toxic chemicals in your food. Eating from cast iron is much healthier and one of the main reasons I switched. ;)

Teflon and those other non-stick coatings tend to chip over time and you get toxic chemicals in your food. Eating from cast iron is much healthier and one of the main reasons I switched. ;)
This ^^.
Plus I'm tired of buying a new set of teflon pans every couple of years. It's almost impossible not to damage them no matter how much care you give them.

The oven is the only way I cook bacon unless camping. First I line the tray with foil then parchment paper cook 425. The foil guarantees no leakage and no need to wash the pan I hate doing dishes.
No cleaning... I'm liking the sounds of that. :thumb:

Teflon also releases fumes that can kill birds. Can't imagine that it's terribly good for humans.

Said hi last night but you ignored me , so I'll say it again. :ciao:
You also have mail.

Wow, I miseed a few posts. I blame the cast iron talk.

Happy little plants. Nice job buddy. Thanks for the heads up on @Weedseedsexpress, I was just thinking about what I’m going to drop when these come down in a week or so. I will have to peruse the site lol.
A few are running their beans now and I have to say I'm impressed with what I have seen. Fast stealth shipping too!
Nice frosty sugar leaves Mr. S. :goodjob: Can't think of anything funny to say; I don't think I am witty enough for your journal. :p
lol, no problem Homer. I get those days too! VG jokes always work.
:hug: What's up sugar booger?
Sweet nose goo! That's not saying 'hi' at all! I still love you tho. :kiss:
Pretty babies! Are the roots growing faster than other strains you've grown? It might be a WSE trait if they are.
Hmm, never graduated to the clear cups. I'm transplanting tonight so I'll take some pics and post them as long as my nails look good.

Years ago, I cleaned Mrs.C's cast iron pans down to the bare metal- they looked like new!
That's when she (loudly and repeatedly) explained the "seasoning" thing to me....
who knew?

There's no rancid grease. When you "season" cast iron, you put a very light layer of oil on the pan. Basically, wipe it on then wipe it off again as if you never wanted it on in the first place. Then, you heat the pan past the smoke point of the oil. It actually causes a polymerization to occur that binds this non-stick coating to the pan. Properly seasoned cast iron cleans very easily and, as I mentioned, is as good as non-stick. I even use soap (on occasion and never anything with lye!) and don't worry about removing the seasoning. But, once I rinse, I dry it off, put it on a burner to heat up, and re-apply a light coat of oil. It not only maintains the seasoning, but it keeps the cast iron from rusting.

What he said. Cast iron is marvelous when it is cared for properly/seasoned well. For me - it's too heavy. Even a small Le Cruset frying pan gets heavy. But I still use it!

I have trouble discussing cast iron pans rationally because of my recurrent nightmare scouring sessions as a child but I don’t doubt you are right about your praises of them. I also have some issues about a childhood lawnmower. :oops:

For me - it's too heavy. Even a small Le Cruset frying pan gets heavy.
They are heavy and you gotta figure that when Moe used to hit Curley over the head with one, it had to hurt more than he was letting on, right? :hmmmm:

The kind with the balls that pop around under the plastic dome in the middle? Pray tell!
I wish, lol. They looked like fun.

When I was a kid we lived in the country so we had an enormous lawn to cut so me and my brother would alternate cutting it as one of our chores. The old lawnmower we had was a rickety old piece of junk that was really hard to push and when I first started cutting the lawn I remember the handles were about shoulder height on me so I was just this little kid pushing this monstrosity around for literally hours every week or two.

I really grew to hate that lawnmower so after a couple of seasons I started putting sand in the oil port slowly and eventually that did her in so I murdered the damn thing, LOL. After that we got a self-propelled model that changed my life. I kid you not, cutting that enormous lawn as a little kid with that old piece of junk really felt like child abuse, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom