Virgin Ground And The Little Star Asterion

Those are some pretty plants.
Thanks Keith!

I've been trying to read the leaves as best as I can so they aren't overfed.
Glad I caught their issues when I did.
I only ended up having two or three rust spots on the plants. Hooking went away and they're doing quite well today.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Day #45 for the Wizard autos.

Stacking everso nicely 😍

Damn..
I thought I took a full tent pic but can't seem to find it. I'll grab one this evening or early tomorrow morning. Lights are out rn.

They are trying their damnedest to grow into my fan. Hope they stop stretching soon.
I'm running out of room fast.

Fantastic job @Justin Goody!
When you catch the wave just right, those autos just seem to keep on stretching. Beautiful work on those!

When you catch the wave just right, those autos just seem to keep on stretching. Beautiful work on those!
:surf:
Let's see if I can ride it all the way to the shore.

Stacking like the Wookiee did for me.

:surf:
Let's see if I can ride it all the way to the shore.

Stacking like the Wookiee did for me.
That’s really good to see. Mine had a few tall branches but those are gorgeous girls you have. Great to watch them go! I hope they hit your light 😆

That’s really good to see. Mine had a few tall branches but those are gorgeous girls you have. Great to watch them go! I hope they hit your light 😆
One of them is 4-6" taller. She may get close.

I can't move the light up much more unless I move my extraction fan outside of the tent.
I'd like to avoid it if possible.
I'm not a fan of the way super cropped plants look either but if I have to, I certainly can.

Wait...I can always ditch the saucer grates. That will give me about 4" extra.

One of them is 4-6" taller. She may get close.

I can't move the light up much more unless I move my extraction fan outside of the tent.
I'd like to avoid it if possible.
I'm not a fan of the way super cropped plants look either but if I have to, I certainly can.

Wait...I can always ditch the saucer grates. That will give me about 4" extra.
They SHOULD slow down soon but hey it’s a good problem to have if it comes up! Gonna be some towers in there

Beauties and such node spacing on them! :noice:
This is what I aspire to and why I feel that I am doing something that stunts the stretch of my plants. I am not yet riding this wave in my grows. I wonder what I must alter in my method. VG where do you top your autos? In my most recent grow the one plant I topped when I spotted the first pistils and the other hadn't show pistils by 6th node so I topped after 6th anyway. That seemed to slow flower but there was not much stretch. Is it possible to restrain the branches too much with hooks? Is it possible I am overdoing it?

This is what I aspire to and why I feel that I am doing something that stunts the stretch of my plants. I am not yet riding this wave in my grows. I wonder what I must alter in my method. VG where do you top your autos? In my most recent grow the one plant I topped when I spotted the first pistils and the other hadn't show pistils by 6th node so I topped after 6th anyway. That seemed to slow flower but there was not much stretch. Is it possible to restrain the branches too much with hooks? Is it possible I am overdoing it?
For these Wizard autos and also the Wookiee I recently finished, I let them grow until I see the first pistils and then top above the fourth. Sometimes I end up cutting off quite a bit of the plant. I let them grow wild and vigorous until I see those first pistils though.
I believe these Wizard were starting work on their sixth or possibly even seventh node when I topped them. I only train the four tallest branches and that is only after topping. Once everything else grows up and matches height, I let them go.
I use the @Carcass c-hooks for training.

My training methods for autos aren't for the faint of heart. I know my ticker gets pumping a bit when I cut almost six inches off of an auto flower that's ready to start blooming. I could see a few growers reading me the riot act over such a sight.

I recommend that you try at your own risk as our grow methods are as different as our environments probably are. Genetics are also going to play a huge roll in the end results.
If you have the room to play around without causing you to go dankrupt, then definitely give it a go and see what you get.

Also....
I transplant my autos and generally feed full strength nutes unless they happen to be one of the occasional light feeders. These Wizards like it a bit lighter on the feed than the Wookiees I grew did.

I really don't treat them differently than my photoperiod plants except the light duration at flower. I may pay them a little extra attention in veg because they don't have time for repairing any issues like you have with photoperiod plants.

I just try to keep them green, comfortable and growing at a fast rate. Top them to delay flower and it will slow them down until they start their stretch.

Hope this helps.

Also...

Do I really know what I'm doing?
No idea. Probably not.
I'm certainly no auto "expert".

These are just the results I got for experimenting with them,taking notes of what seems to work and building upon that first hand experience. There is also a little back and forth of ideas with other growers like @Justin Goody.
He doesn't hold back with his autos either and has a hell of a lot more experience than I do with them.
Picking his brain really helped me.

Pics of the chicks on day #46...

Barely enough room in there. Need to find some sort of braces for the tent sides to keep them from sucking inwards. It would give me a bit more room.
Has to be very cheap or free. I'll look around here and see what I have laying around.

Turned the fan around as the taller gal was getting a bit wind blown. It's diffused now and she looks better.
If you notice a small droop in leaves it's because the lights are going out momentarily.

Need to slowly start increasing the light in there.
I think it's set to about 75% now.

Also...

No idea. Probably not.

These are just the results I got for experimenting with them,taking notes of what seems to work and building upon that first hand experience. There is also a little back and forth of ideas with other growers like @Justin Goody.
He doesn't hold back with his autos either and has a hell of a lot more experience than I do with them.
The pandemic ended up being good for my auto growing. I used the time to experiment and begin breeding things for my particular environment and level of laziness. During that time I had some trial and error that ended up resulting in some actual usable technique 😂. I still learn something new with every new strain.
Some of the things they all share when they seem to catch that wave- No pH fluctuations, don’t let them get root bound, keep low humidity, dial in the ideal light early. With my plants I start them into 20-22k Lux and I don’t do a ton of light adjustments in the first few weeks. It seems like a lot of light but I give them all they can handle.
Wookiees seemed to grow taller when I manicure the lowest hanging leaves a few times a week. I have done backbuilding on several varieties and the idea is that you trim the tops so the plant thinks it’s getting eaten if it grows UP anymore. The flip side being if you trim at the bottom they seemed to keep stretching.
But after seeing the plants grow even taller in your tents without superthrive or bottom pruning, it seems to be heavily dependent on genetics and lights.

I remember first starting out with autos and feeling doomed when they pop pistils at 19 days old- and some people feeling like the growing was somehow OVER at that point. Some of these autos once flowering don’t just double in size like photos, they get 3-4X bigger.
I know it’s just the green thumb Dad seemed to pass down but I feel like the plants tell you what they need, as long as you don’t keep asking 😂
And they know when you give up on them, they stop growing as soon as you stop believing.
It doesn’t take a wizard to grow the Wizard but it helps to know how to cast the right spell 😜

Barely enough room in there. Need to find some sort of braces for the tent sides to keep them from sucking inwards. It would give me a bit more room.
Has to be very cheap or free. I'll look around here and see what I have laying around.

Turned the fan around as the taller gal was getting a bit wind blown. It's diffused now and she looks better.
If you notice a small droop in leaves it's because the lights are going out momentarily.

Need to slowly start increasing the light in there.
I think it's set to about 75% now.
SUPERCROP!!!!!!!!!!

For these Wizard autos and also the Wookiee I recently finished, I let them grow until I see the first pistils and then top above the fourth. Sometimes I end up cutting off quite a bit of the plant. I let them grow wild and vigorous until I see those first pistils though.
I believe these Wizard were starting work on their sixth or possibly even seventh node when I topped them. I only train the four tallest branches and that is only after topping. Once everything else grows up and matches height, I let them go.
I use the @Carcass c-hooks for training.

My training methods for autos aren't for the faint of heart. I know my ticker gets pumping a bit when I cut almost six inches off of an auto flower that's ready to start blooming. I could see a few growers reading me the riot act over such a sight.

I recommend that you try at your own risk as our grow methods are as different as our environments probably are. Genetics are also going to play a huge roll in the end results.
If you have the room to play around without causing you to go dankrupt, then definitely give it a go and see what you get.

Also....
I transplant my autos and generally feed full strength nutes unless they happen to be one of the occasional light feeders. These Wizards like it a bit lighter on the feed than the Wookiees I grew did.

I really don't treat them differently than my photoperiod plants except the light duration at flower. I may pay them a little extra attention in veg because they don't have time for repairing any issues like you have with photoperiod plants.

I just try to keep them green, comfortable and growing at a fast rate. Top them to delay flower and it will slow them down until they start their stretch.

Hope this helps.
Yes it does, thank you. I was waiting for first flower but topping too high up it seems.
Also...

No idea. Probably not.

The pandemic ended up being good for my auto growing. I used the time to experiment and begin breeding things for my particular environment and level of laziness. During that time I had some trial and error that ended up resulting in some actual usable technique 😂. I still learn something new with every new strain.
Some of the things they all share when they seem to catch that wave- No pH fluctuations, don’t let them get root bound, keep low humidity, dial in the ideal light early. With my plants I start them into 20-22k Lux and I don’t do a ton of light adjustments in the first few weeks. It seems like a lot of light but I give them all they can handle.
🙏
Wookiees seemed to grow taller when I manicure the lowest hanging leaves a few times a week. I have done backbuilding on several varieties and the idea is that you trim the tops so the plant thinks it’s getting eaten if it grows UP anymore. The flip side being if you trim at the bottom they seemed to keep stretching.
This is interesting. I am familiar with and am using the backbuilding technique but wasn't aware you could build from the bottom.
But after seeing the plants grow even taller in your tents without superthrive or bottom pruning, it seems to be heavily dependent on genetics and lights.

I remember first starting out with autos and feeling doomed when they pop pistils at 19 days old- and some people feeling like the growing was somehow OVER at that point. Some of these autos once flowering don’t just double in size like photos, they get 3-4X bigger.
My recent ones flowered at ave 50 days but there was no real stretch.
I know it’s just the green thumb Dad seemed to pass down but I feel like the plants tell you what they need, as long as you don’t keep asking 😂
And they know when you give up on them, they stop growing as soon as you stop believing.
It doesn’t take a wizard to grow the Wizard but it helps to know how to cast the right spell 😜
🪄

Feeling poetic today, are we.?...😁

They're looking great, VG!..a little tall, but those will be some awesome spears at the end....

I seem to consistently have the opposite problem- I'll figure on a 2x stretch, then she stretches 4 inches...
Not complaining, though- the shorties still seem to put out a lot of weed!

Need to find some sort of braces for the tent sides
A few wire coat hangers and some zip-ties might do the trick...🤔

Or, can you adjust the fan speeds to give you a little positive pressure in the tent..?

It was rhetorical and no she don't agree buddy! All caps are for kids.
Oh poor poor poor man

I'll end it here...for VGs sake

Did I like u before? I can't remember. You probably didn't like me, just based on this limited interaction

I know VG loves me....so I'm good...lol

Back
Top Bottom