Virgin Ground And The Little Star Asterion

Be on the lookout for a new journal coming up within the next week or two.
Woohoo! I almost peed my pants when I read that. More fun and danger. Better than a James Bond movie.

I planted her myself from seed. She was about 25' tall.
You can try some tape before it's too late. Gorilla tape.I'm not sure it'll work but worth a try.

Condolences on the maple VG! :hug: :( :love:

And congratulations that it didn’t hit anything! I’ll look forward to carvings. Do you calf while it still green and soft? And if so how do you stabilise it afterwards? Do you know how do you stop it cracking and moving too much as it dries?

It looked like a beauty and the main thing is nobody was injured and no damage was done.
Only my soul was injured. Where are my spider mites going to live now???
Very cool, I always journaled prizes I won. It’s the least we can do for their sponsorship
It's been on my mind since I won it. Time for some sponsor love.

Condolences on the maple VG! :hug: :( :love:

And congratulations that it didn’t hit anything! I’ll look forward to carvings. Do you calf while it still green and soft? And if so how do you stabilise it afterwards? Do you know how do you stop it cracking and moving too much as it dries?
Great questions that I have no real answers for. I will have to cut it while still green. It can't stay where it is. I'll have to consult my tree trimming friend out West or do some reading. The plan is to get a couple of longer trunk sections and let them cure.
I have no clue what I'm doing but I'll put my best foot forward and try to salvage something from this.

M'kay. So I need to cut my length, remove bark and seal the cut ends with a generous amount of paraffin or shellac and store it in a dry, bug-free location for up to two years.

I may cut the rest. It looks like a slingshot. Very odd. May plant some lilacs for a privacy from Dale Gribble and his articulate friend.
Was talking about lilacs with HH yesterday. I found some old fashioned ones like my Nana used to have.

:D that’s quite a process. :popcorn:
You can carve green wood but that is better suited for something like cedar where you don't have to worry about mold if you are keeping the piece moist.
When I did carving when I was young I just got cut and cured pieces from a buddy.
If you try to carve green maple like I have it will crack as the moisture is leaving the wood. Since it is summer here she is especially moist because she hasn't dropped her sap yet. They do that in fall/early winter. The sugars get heavy and collect towards the bottom of the tree. If you are felling your own maples you would want to do that after the sap drops. They will cure much faster, from my understanding.

We had a storm yesterday.
I'm heartbroken this morning.
I planted her myself from seed. She was about 25' tall.

Need to find a friend with a chainsaw.
I'll keep her trunk to carve. Should be some nice maple to remember her by.
Sorry about your tree friend. I carved a chain roach clip in my younger daze. 3 links and a place for a hole for the clip. Maple though, i did it in soft pine.

Sorry about your tree friend. I carved a chain roach clip in my younger daze. 3 links and a place for a hole for the clip. Maple though, i did it in soft pine.
Thank you Stone.
I will miss her shade a lot.
Just glad she fell safely. My bedroom isn't far from her.
BF had to point out that I wished that I had some wood to carve. A substantial piece and not little blocks. He said that nature just gave me what I wished for.
Like Robert Redford in The Natural with his magic bat.

Those mites on that tree gave me the creepy crawlies. Ran out and grabbed some neem oil and alcohol to have on hand.
Last bottle of neem in my town. The garden center was really picked over.

Great win on the light and tent, hope we get to see it here soon.

Had a tree blown down myself last week, it was an old plum tree so I was suspecting it would give away to wind pretty soon. We had very strange and pretty powerful gusts of wind blowing last few days, it lasts only for a few minutes and then calms back down again so I'm guessing it fell down during one of these mini hurricanes. Hope you find the time to do your carving project on the trunk.

When I told torturedsoul males dont make flowers I got mocked and made fun of.

Sorry about your luck VG.
Highya BB.
Welcome to my main journal.
The guys are just busting my chops. They love to harass me.
Try not to take TS's comments personally.
He has a strong personality and can be blunt at times.
I wonder if he's a Capricorn? :hmmmm:

It's gonna be a glorious day.
I feel my luck could change.

:passitleft:

Great win on the light and tent, hope we get to see it here soon.

Had a tree blown down myself last week, it was an old plum tree so I was suspecting it would give away to wind pretty soon. We had very strange and pretty powerful gusts of wind blowing last few days, it lasts only for a few minutes and then calms back down again so I'm guessing it fell down during one of these mini hurricanes. Hope you find the time to do your carving project on the trunk.
I have already been using the combo.
It's where the RQS girls and the smaller GZ are vegging. I just haven't advertised it very well and that's precisely the reason for running another journal.

Sorry you lost your plum.
I hate losing trees. This one was so young and healthy aside from a couple of bugs.
We had a tornado warning but no touchdown. It was insanely windy here.
Lots of trees down all over our city.

Back
Top Bottom