Wheelo's 3rd run - Attack of the Holy Shoots

ok, so weekend work in progress.

I stretched my res change to two weeks+ for a bunch of reasons including being too busy to do the change last weekend. I am doing a full res change now, first one since my initial switch to AN. . . Just have to wait on my RO to fill up the tank.

Also, I pulled the wheel plant that took the most drought damage, I think its shot. I tried to fill up the empty space with the 4 new clones that went in. . . I will check the clones later to see if anymore are ready to harden off and go in the wheel.

10-25-6.JPG

here is what the healthy LST'd plants are looking like. . . man if I had 16 this size I'd be really happy.

10-25-7.JPG

The dirty Girls are doing amazing as expected. . . Problem after problem in hydro, mixing, measuring, checking, work work work, and these dirty girls just keep on growing big and strong and all I do is give them some plain RO water once a week or even less frequently if needed. It's true on so many levels, the dirty girls are always the least maintenance. lol.

anyways these girls love the hell out of me, and I barely pay them any attention (another sexual truism). besides a daily foliar feed, but the wheel gets those too.

so here are some pics pre-tuck

10-25-1.JPG

10-25-2.JPG

here is one of my faithful soldiers. . . he helps me, I help him.

10-25-3.JPG

and here are a couple post tuck

10-25-4.JPG

10-25-5.JPG

I will be switching to 12/12 this week.

I'm not sure yet weather I will do one more veg res, or should go to bloom nutes today. I still have more work to do today, then things will become more concrete.

Consider a larger res and maybe your hydro wont be so temperamental? With my 50 gallon res's I literally dont have to touch my hydro plants for 5 days at a time. Check ph once in a while and its almost always spot on 5.5-5.6 (GH Flora Series seems to have super stable pH) Half way through my 10 day res cycle I just top off with RO water check and adjust pH if needed. Switching to hydro hads been a godsend since my grow time is cut down to about 25% of what it was with soil plants. (not counting trimming ;)

...Check ph once in a while and its almost always spot on 5.5-5.6 (GH Flora Series seems to have super stable pH) .

Do you use just the basic 3 Flora components or do you add anything else in? I'm going to use the ones that came with my RainForest (to start with, at least). For instance they have the Floralicious Plus, Florablend, and KoolBloom alongside the 3 basics in their feeding guide, and I was wondering if I was missing something important by just using the basics.

bolivar, I don't use GH obviously, so i don't want to reccomend anything, but I know McB uses a couple supplements on top of the 3 part. . . check his current journal, listed in his Sig, I know he's repeated it a few times in his journal so just give it a look, and you can find what he uses. . . or look in butcher sig, and there is a nute poll. I know McB listed what he uses there too.

Consider a larger res and maybe your hydro wont be so temperamental? With my 50 gallon res's I literally dont have to touch my hydro plants for 5 days at a time. Check ph once in a while and its almost always spot on 5.5-5.6 (GH Flora Series seems to have super stable pH) Half way through my 10 day res cycle I just top off with RO water check and adjust pH if needed. Switching to hydro hads been a godsend since my grow time is cut down to about 25% of what it was with soil plants. (not counting trimming ;)

that's a good point. . . actually, so far, I have been trying to minimize the res size as much as I can.

I went form a 25 gal, to a 20 gal, to a 15 gal, now to an 11 gal res. . . I want to be as efficient as i can. . . but obviously not to the point where it is hindering my results. I was thinking about going back to the 15 gal. . . the thing is the dehumidifier I added is now making me top off my res more often and is increasing swings in both pH and EC.

res efficiency should be one of the strong points of the wheel, but I don't have it set up optimally. It's pretty much a PITA to change it out. eventually I want to elevate the res a few inches and port a drain on the bottom to an inline pump like 420fied did in his aero setup. just need some dough for another pump and all the fittings.

More room would be great too. . . lol, I need my own house.

also, another bit of info.

I just cubed up 6 more clones and threw them in the wheel. I also trimmed up the drought stressed plant a ton and put her back in the wheel, she might make some bud and I have the room for her in there, so why not.

Switching to hydro hads been a godsend since my grow time is cut down to about 25% of what it was with soil plants. (not counting trimming ;)

I meant to say here my time in the grow room ie grow room time.. not grow time lol.. one word can really make a difference in statement ;)

oic, makes sense. . . what was it about soil that took more time? right now my soil side rarely needs attention, and it's a scrog. also watering them is much easier than preparing my reservoir. it is super soil though, so feeding plain RO is obviously ridiculously easy.

oic, makes sense. . . what was it about soil that took more time? right now my soil side rarely needs attention, and it's a scrog. also watering them is much easier than preparing my reservoir. it is super soil though, so feeding plain RO is obviously ridiculously easy.

having to mix up nutes and feed them every 3-4 days.. crawling around to get to them all even with my pump/hose feeder setup I used. I just love tending my res's sitting back and watching everything grow now. It does take about 3 hours to drain/ fill the res and mix nutes but only about 20 minutes of that requires my hands on work. The rest is just waiting for the barrel to drain (10-15 minutes) and fill (2.75 hours)

SS sounds pretty sweet

yeah, unfortunately my drain/fill routine for my res is not very efficient at the moment. draining it is a bitch. . . gonna have to do it 7 more times. lol. then maybe I can automate or streamline my res routine.

FYI, and for my own info,

for the past few days, I have been flushing the medium with RO and Final Phase.

Today will be day one of 12/12!!
Today is also day one for week one of the Reservoir routine.

This will put my harvest date around 12/23. just in time for santa!

finally I can start the countdown. Things should start to get interesting around here in the next few weeks.

yeah, unfortunately my drain/fill routine for my res is not very efficient at the moment. draining it is a bitch. . . gonna have to do it 7 more times. lol. then maybe I can automate or streamline my res routine.

Wet/Dry vac works nice on smaller reservoirs :) I use a 500GPH submersible hydro pump with 3/4 inch tubing to my toilet to drain the big boys.

NP, strangely enough i can input,

when you dump water in the pot, it will flush itself when it gets to a certain point and will just empty if the flow rate is fast enough. I've ran to both before.

right now I am finding the best way for me is to just unhook the damn thing and take it to the bathroom and dump it in the tub. at 10 gallons I am easily strong enough to just Herc it over. then I can wash it with soap and water and a sponge.

I could use a submersible pump but it won't get the bottom 1/4" and then i'd have to take it out anyways because i want to empty it completely for the res change. . . I used one when i was running 20 gal because i just couldn't do it any other way.

I have a siphon that hooks up to the sink, but it takes forever and will overflow my kitchen sink if I do it too fast. i need to buy some new hose if i wanted to go that route.

what I really want to do is elevate it and get an inline hooked up to the underside of the res. also it would be great if i could get the res out of the tent and keep it away from the heat. and I could mess with it during any part of the cycle (light/dark).

i'm too busy right now though. maybe sometime during this grow i will try to do it.

Back
Top Bottom