Wheelo's 3rd run - Attack of the Holy Shoots

lol nice post.
did you really find the wheel hard to handle? I have read lots of your posts but I have only made it to around pg 13 ish (its about the same stage I'm in)
other then all the complicated stuff your trying
-seed production
-LST
-tieing down
-cutting holes to make more root room
-sog screen
ect ect...

Let me tell you right now, I haven't had a respectable pull weight wise from the wheel in my first three tries.
Part of it was the fact the I had never grown in RW before and it didn't behave how I expected.
Part of it was indeed that i was trying new things. . . but part of that is because of how high maintenance the machine itself is.

1)seeds - the seed run was not just seeds, but automatic flowering feminized seeds. The reasoning for that was to make the wheel less high maintenance by eliminating a room for moms, a room for cloning, eliminating needing big enough moms to take 80 clones all at once. . . i imagine for you its even more room for 160. If I had 1000's of short auto all female seeds, i could just plant, and transplant to the wheel after a week or two.

2)LST/more root space/bondage - also an attempt to make her less needy. with less plants and a longer veg time i would (less effectively than seeds) cut down on moms/clones/space. bigger plants need more roots, so thats why i tried that, and it did work.

3)I also tried to stagger harvest/perpetual cycle with the seeds, but watering was too hard.

but to answer your question, yeah other than that I find this system hard compared with others. probably not great for inexperienced growers. . . unless you have a super clean system and a green thumb, i know people like that. can grow anything anywhere.

the reason I think it's a lot harder than other systems is that all of the parameters are very tight, and margin for error is small. . . in other systems, if they get bigger, you raise the lights, in this system I'd say you have a 1-2" window of perfection. . . the wheel has 19" from tray to cool tube. I want my plants no bigger than 14-15 inches at finish. This leaves them 4-5 inches from the cool tube. I've had them get right up to the glass and not burn, but take this into consideration, @ 19" the surface area of my wheel is a cylinder with radius radius of 22"(to the center of the cool tube,) length of 28". s.a. = 2*Pi*r*H = 2*3.14*22*28 = 3868.5 sq in. = 26.8 sq. ft. . . but when the tops are 15" tall, now the canopy gets squeezed down to a radius of 7", so 2*3.14*7*28 = 1230.8 sq. in = 8.54 sq ft. of canopy.

so #1 is you have to get a short strain and go straight to flower. too shor hurts yield, to tall does too because it chokes up the light. . . for 19", you have to get it dialed in just under 15" uniformly. other systems aren't as picky as this.

#2) RW is a PITA IMO. it likes to fluctuate pH pretty good, and it holds a lot of water (too much for my preference). It locks out nutrients very easily as well. A big reservoir, >25 gallons, will help a lot. I started with a small res and went to an even smaller one, that definitely made it really hard to keep things stable. early on when the plants are small you could prob only water them once every three days, and work your way up to once a day as they get bigger. I'd much prefer to water multiple times a day so that the roots can see a wide spectrum of pH's and get good air from fast drainage.

so #2 is get a big reservoir, keep on top of fluctuations, watch the medium and try not to over water, watch the stems, if you are over watering you will start to get stem rot right at the base. i know of others who have had this problem (with the wheel) on this site too. Flush often to remove buildup, which is actually really hard considering how infrequently you can water. other systems out there are no where near as picky.

3) Complicated - spinning, the lights, the feeding system, if something goes wrong it can be a PITA to fix. . . imagine budmold on some of the plants in the middle, or fungus or something. first it's gonna be hard to see and now you have to pull all of the outside ones out, when they are big, to get at the problem ones and then put the ok ones back in. i haven't had that problem, but there were times i wanted to take one of the inside ones out to work on and couldn't get to it. like to cull some runts. . .

so yeah, I do think it's a harder system to run and maintain than a lot of other systems, but also if you do master it it does hold great potential. it's all about what your looking for and how good you are at it.

have you JUST tryed filling it with clones probably a 100%indica and standing by with a Dr. nodes/Bush master to inhibit vertical and lettin her go?
Thats all I'm doing and so far so good. I'm only in second week of bloom (clone to bloom no veg) and the only nutes I'm using right now is A+B bloom from Higro corp.

I've never tried dr. nodes/Bushmaster but it's definitely something i want to try. . . just not sure how I'd want to do it. supposedly bushmaster is supposed to be used at the end of veg/before flower. you veg to the height you want and then use it and go to flower, and it will stop all vertical growth and bush out from lower nodes. this could have amazing potential in a wheel but does that mean that you should veg for 2 weeks to get them to 13-14 inches so that they are the height you want when they finish? a full wheel of 12" plants with 6-8 tops each could be unreal.

my hydro guy said a strong dose of AN's B52 does the same thing. also i read that the bushmaster is some really strong stuff. my hydro stores dont carry dr. nodes, but i was thinking of getting some online.

if you try it, let me know.

I will keep ya posted on how mine turns out and also be following your posts
Thanks again for all the tips I picked up from your journals. Cause like you said to that one guy if you want advertising look on the web if you want questions answered look to someone who is using it.

P.S. on my wheel its 16 inches to the cool tube how close can the plants get before they burn? and how close is it from tray to cool tube on your wheel?
Thanks bud
T.

thanks bro, like i said earlier 19" and i want at least 4-5 inches from the tube.

long reply. ;););););):roorrip:

p.s. T, feel free to post some pics on this thread if you want help or suggestions.

this thread is closed, and the run is over, it's just kinda my hangout spot till i get another one going.

It wouldn't hurt the content to add some additional wheel pics and discussion. more info for people out there thinking about tackling this very unusual and neat concept of growing.

plus all of the journals here are all he same system (volksgardens) and you have something different. I would love love love to be able to compare units, I was right on the edge of getting a rotogro, but the wheel was so much cheaper.

I gotta agree w/ WOF. Post picts if you can. The only system for me to tackle is the elusive Wheel. Saving up for that though. And watching WOF'S grows have been a big insperation. Planning on getting the ebb&gro, but wheel is in order at some point. The harder the grow the better, well thats for me at least. 160 filled nice very nice.you and WOF are my idols. You 2 are amazing. Dont mind me, I'm going to be watching in the background. + rep (when I can)

I would love to post pics but I'm really computer handy capable and I cant figure out this site. I just tried and I think my files are too big not shure how to resize and I really dont want the hastle lol. I have a journal if you google roto-gro you might find it or try T&T dynamite might work too.
well I hope things go well for you on your next run wheelO I will be following
and if I see something or figure out how to post pics I'll fill ya in on my situation.
much respect and dont give up on the wheel just try to keep it simple and pick up the bushmaster it will work
I bought my system off a friend he used it once or twice had a fairly good run both times and he knows nothing he cant grow a dandylion in his front yard LMAO.
So if he can do it then I should be able to pull it off
good luck man
T.

I would love to post pics but I'm really computer handy capable and I cant figure out this site. I just tried and I think my files are too big not sure how to resize and I really dont want the hastle lol. I have a journal if you google roto-gro you might find it or try T&T dynamite might work too.
well I hope things go well for you on your next run wheelO I will be following
and if I see something or figure out how to post pics I'll fill ya in on my situation.
much respect and dont give up on the wheel just try to keep it simple and pick up the bushmaster it will work
I bought my system off a friend he used it once or twice had a fairly good run both times and he knows nothing he cant grow a dandylion in his front yard LMAO.
So if he can do it then I should be able to pull it off
good luck man
T.

to post pics here, check this out:
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

also, i found your journal bro, but I don't want to register for another site, so i can see what you say but I can't see any pics.

i'm sure you'll be fine it's maximizing your return that will take work.

ok, so i ran out of weed yesterday. noooooooooo!!!

i had to buy some.

WTF are all of these fucking seeds doing in my weed!!!! OMG i hate buying weed.
$10/g for seeded weed?

these seeds are going in the fucking garbage. sorry, no offense to yall bag seed growers out there, definitely better than buying it, but they don't deserve to be in my seed library next to my high bred's.

it's like drinking crystal for two months, running out, and buying some colt 45. not even, more like bud light. colt 45 is too strong to be compared to this crap.

i had to buy some.

$10/g for seeded weed?

these seeds are going in the fucking garbage. sorry, no offense to yall bag seed growers out there, definitely better than buying it, but they don't deserve to be in my seed library next to my high bred's.

it's like drinking crystal for two months, running out, and buying some colt 45. not even, more like bud light. colt 45 is too strong to be compared to this crap.

*sigh* i kno what you mean WOF.. my last cop was in september. I bought a quarter of bs(regs/bullshit). I always take my bud and jar it. When I went to but it in the jar i noticed that the buds were really really swollen. Well behold, it was seeds. I thought I was gonna pop a couple out.. WRONG! i popped out 62 seeds. and they weight 2.2 grams. I was pissed. I haven't bought a gram at all since. After I finished it, i just waited for my harvest. I think even if i went dry again I would just grow my own. it just isnt worth it. Now that I know how much it cost for bud and how much im paying for it.

Only way a dealer will get some $$ from me is if its exclusive. otherwise ill jus try and grow it myself. blah...

u lost me with the beers tho. I drink none of that stuff :cough: lol

Im a Labatt Blue or Sam Adam's guy.. religiously. I've been known to stomach colt 45s tho, and back in college I used to down cases of Beast. But thats another story, another thread lol.. :focus: yea ur right tho, seeds in weed isnt cool

dro:reading420magazine:

u lost me with the beers tho. I drink none of that stuff :cough: lol

Im a Labatt Blue or Sam Adam's guy.. religiously. I've been known to stomach colt 45s tho, and back in college I used to down cases of Beast. But thats another story, another thread lol.. :focus: yea ur right tho, seeds in weed isnt cool

dro:reading420magazine:

actually i dont drink any of those either, but if you want an expensive champagne, cristal is a good place to start. . . i think i misspelled it earlier. so if you think high grade kind nugs, think cristal. . . on the other hand when you gotta smoke the mexican dirt weed, think budwiser. better than nothing, but not good.

i'm totally with you on those two beers. or something local from a micro, we got some good ones around here.

went to san fran last month and had some local IPA's that were kinda hoppy and excellent. gotta commend them on that.

i had to buy some.

$10/g for seeded weed?

Damn that sux bro!! I feel for ya. Damn!! thats so much bud you went threw. The scrog n the wheel. No wonder you were makin 10 lb. Burrittos.:rofl:

lol. yeah plus my father does stuff for me so i hook him up every harvest, i hook my boys up and they hook me up when i need help or house repairs or something. what are friends for? and what am I left with? never enough till next time. damnit. oh well. my boy should have some good stuff in 3 weeks including drying time.

till then:cough::cough::cough::surrender:

Chew on some straws ;) It might help. Honestly, i of coursed missed being medicated. But I also take my breaks kinda seriously and use the time to sorta detox. Like for a month when I wasnt smoking, i drank a lot of tea and water. + fruits + berries and nuts. The first time i smoked after a 1 month dry spell, i was stuck. You ever so high you watching your ceiling fan jus go round and round. lol i jus lost cool points i know.

nah, no lost points. been there done that. yeah, i take breaks myself. it always hits nice after you lose your tolerance.

hard exercise is always paramount in any detox, IMO. if you are fit to do so of course.

ONE MORE SEED RANT.

I'm sorry I'm still smoking this garbage, but seriously WTF!!!
Why the fuck do people still sell weed with seeds in it?
you aren't breeding this shit thats for sure.
this isn't the 70's anymore guys.
now, I know this shit was probably grown in mexico, outside in a huge field, but who cares?
Mexicans can't clone?
I understand not wanting to try to cull males in fields that are probably acres,
EVER HEAR OF FEM SEEDS?
now you obviously aren't going to buy that many but $10 worth of STS would produce 100,000-1,000,000 seeds if done for that purpose.
I'm no expert, and no Greenthumb, and even I had success on my first try.
do you not care about the seeds?
do you not take pride in you work or in your product?
I don't even sell my weed, and seeds make no impact on my wallet, and I dont put up with that.
how terribly dis-organized is your organized crime?
hire me as a canna consultant (mr. drug lords), pay me a million dollars in fees, and I'll f'n double your damn profits for 10$ worth of STS.
and the worst part is I have to pay you to be so disappointed with your shitty work.

come on mexicans. . . if you want us (americans) to keep buying your garbage dirt weed, at least step into the 21st century and take a little fucking pride in what you do so poorly. Labor is dirt cheap in your country, offer someone a taco to cull all the males at 4 weeks or something.

shit.

i need to grow something already.

and the worst part butch is that i have to support these assholes with my own hard earned money, which in turn supports their terrible job, their awful awful methods and violence. and support these people who do more harm to the safety of our country than a billion peaceful potheads.

If it was legal, nice people like you and me would grow it and sell it to retailers like vineyards do wine, for reasonable prices, and for reasonable profit. And if i didn't want to grow, or ran out I could go to some decent people and get some decent damn buds. no seeds. no sticks. no stems.

these retarded laws are creating the very problem they wish to eliminate, which I know we all know.

and yes, I said retarded. suck on that Palin.

LMFAO!!!!! I've seen and been in those fields years bcak. Had a friend down south that use to grow for some peeps. Unfortunetly he got killed over some B/S down there over a land issue. All I can say is if your not a citizen dont buy land in mex. I must say I've helped work those feilds(mostly just for the experience) they can grow some of the best outdoor I've ever seen in my life. their issue is they go to big to fast, so YOu cant pull the males, cause you literally lose track of the plots. Between the big feilds and the amount of guns around you hidden every 100 yards. You get over pulling "their potential profit" or males as we know they are. Down there they dont check for males in the outdoor situations. But their greenhouses make ours out here in the US look like micromachines compared to big foot. And that was 10 years ago. They grow in greenhouses with plants that get up to 20 + feet. Pushing nothing less then a kilo of DANK, but I havent been down there on that type of bussiness since my friend died. And yeah I couldnt agree more, why put the effort into it if your not going to do it right. There are mad growwers down there with sick skillz, but we will never see what they bring, cause 1 word to the cartels about competition and ..well we all know what happens. We've seen the news. Legalizing would make it so much more difficult for the cartels, but then the DEA would lose out on all that drug money. And we wouldnt want that now, right?:rofl: I support the DEA and the war on DRUGS, not canna though. To much money being spent on herb and not on busting those dumbas*es bringing all those chemicals into out country. go blazing guns at them and legalize herb and watch the amount of people against those chemical drugs double. Cause it would show that our Gov't is able to make the best of a bad situation. :sorry: DAMN THIS RAINBOW HAS ME GOING!!

i agree completely, except when weeds legal the govt will control the pot just like ciggarettes. but theyre wasting theirr time & our money on bustings kids for small amounts of pot, ( that they wasted their money on seeded mexy brick to begin with ) then they get paid for all the court fess and everything else.

ive had a dickhead cop bust me and my girl with some chronic once.. first he was asking where this "wicked weed" came from & to help them get it off the street.. but when he opened the jar the look on his facd was priceless. he even showed the 2nd cop that showed up after the bud bc he couldn't believe how good it was.. lmao. but anyways i had like a 1 nug 1/8th left and my girl had a quater she had just bought. we were charged with possession of 2 g. hahaha fuckin cocksuckers.

hey guys, not sure who voted me up, but i just realized this journal went back to 5 stars.

yeah!!

thanks who ever put me over the top again. was down to 4 stars for a while now.

Back
Top Bottom