Wheelo's 3rd run - Attack of the Holy Shoots

just figured out how to multi quote too. lol. learning a lot these days.

you misted them with 1/2 strength already? i like the tall dirty girl.

yeah, the tall one was the mom of the clones, her roots are probably already into the super soil. since the clones are fully mature already, i'm not worried about foliar feeding too much, i'm misting the GWS with just RO.

Thanks for the update and pics!

laissez la grande roue rouler! ;)

Oui, aucun problème. c'est mon plaisir.

I like the big pics and it looks like you've got your camera back ;)

Nice update Brother Wheel

thanks soniq. still using the telephoto, minimal focus distance is 1.5 meters. lol.

yeah, the tall one was the mom of the clones, her roots are probably already into the super soil. since the clones are fully mature already, i'm not worried about foliar feeding too much, i'm misting the GWS with just RO.

you said you misted the GWS with 1/2 strentgh in the pictures

thanks mcbuds,

i wish you could answer it too, lol. I have figured out an easy way to expand the root mass of a plant in the wheel by 10x to 3.69 liters, or almost a gallon, still using 3" blocks.

the question is, how big should i go for each plant? i don't really want to use more than i need since it is wasteful, and costs money, and is going to be a lot of work to do. 6x would be a lot easier if that would suffice.

how big of a root mass is needed to support a hydro plant that you want to pull 2-3 oz off of for instance?

also, i just got finished cleaning the wheel and the res. I am filling it now with RO, hygrozyme, superthrive, sweet, voodoo juice, cal-mag, and CNS17 grow. its just a random compilation of what i have extra lying around.

i need some money badly. will prob be three more weeks until I will get it. I need nutes! about 600-700 bucks worth. i need to get the rw cubes next week. they are good where they are for now under the MH. this will give them a chance to pop some more roots out.

I want to get a 600 MH for the wheel if i'm gonna veg, might as well get the nodes as tight as i can. I'm prob gonna need a new bulb soon, gonna have my friend bring his light meter over soon.

anyone who wants to weigh in on how much root space i will want for 2-3 foot plants in RW ebb and flow, would be appriciated. Mcbuds, wanna venture a guess? i would appreciate it.

thanks.

also, i moved the GWS out to the MH too, these girls look like they can handle it no problem. The clones are now permanently under the MH untill they all find their new home in the wheel.

well, i just posted some photo's, but as long as someones watching, lol.
it''s sunday and this is fun for me so here we go again. . .

i figure I'll start with the orginal HS mom i started with. i switched to MH after i cloned from her to keep the internodes tighter. . . man talk about beyond my expectations. . . I haven't used MH in a while and i must have forgot. there is a dramatic difference in stretch from the hps to the MH.

a few here are under the MH for better clarity, and i turned it off for a few to pick up the color better.

9-13-09-01.JPG

9-13-09-02.JPG

on this next one, do you see the long branch on the top heading to the left? do you see how long it is? thats the length of one internode under the HPS.

9-13-09-03.JPG

now look at some closeups of the internode spacing since i switched to MH:

9-13-09-04.JPG

9-13-09-05.JPG

9-13-09-06.JPG

here is one of the clones under the MH and with it off:

9-13-09-07.JPG

9-13-09-08.JPG

i wont show roots again right now, but the are busting out all over the place.

the weak clone that is showing wilting bottom row second from the left side, i tossed that one. although it had good root devlopment, i didn't like the way the leaves were looking, i don't know if it would have made it or not, but 10 is pretty much as good as 11.

here are some of the clone's i was given.

not growing quite at the rate i want yet. my friend is not a bad cloner, he just treats them more harshly than i would. my clones take off soon after they root because i treat them so nicely. . . these were root bound, held in their containers too long, under not the best lights or atmosphere. but he gave them to me after he chose the best ones. . . doesn't matter to me, in dirt, i can make these girls healthy easily.

9-13-09-09.JPG

internode spacing is still crazy. these girls have only seen MH so far.

9-13-09-10.JPG

I kinda like these middle branch clones. its like two plants for the root structure of one.

9-13-09-11.JPG

here is one, and her little friends the GWS sisters. the GWS is soaking up the MH very nicely at this point.

9-13-09-12.JPG

ok, so i thought i'd show you guys how i've decided to solve my root problem for the scrog.

keep in mind i have a small apartment, and no great tool shop, this was done with a drill.
i opened up the sides of the cube holders. when placed close together, it will just act as one big rooting medium. If i just put one cube in each, I could increase the rooting area by 5x obviously, but coupled with my LR#2 doubling technique, that would allow me to 10x the rooting space. I'm thinking I might go 6x. please, experienced growers chime in if you have an opinion on rooting space size.

9-13-09-13.JPG

9-13-09-14.JPG

thanks mcbuds,

i wish you could answer it too, lol. I have figured out an easy way to expand the root mass of a plant in the wheel by 10x to 3.69 liters, or almost a gallon, still using 3" blocks.

the question is, how big should i go for each plant? i don't really want to use more than i need since it is wasteful, and costs money, and is going to be a lot of work to do. 6x would be a lot easier if that would suffice.

how big of a root mass is needed to support a hydro plant that you want to pull 2-3 oz off of for instance?

also, i just got finished cleaning the wheel and the res. I am filling it now with RO, hygrozyme, superthrive, sweet, voodoo juice, cal-mag, and CNS17 grow. its just a random compilation of what i have extra lying around.

i need some money badly. will prob be three more weeks until I will get it. I need nutes! about 600-700 bucks worth. i need to get the rw cubes next week. they are good where they are for now under the MH. this will give them a chance to pop some more roots out.

I want to get a 600 MH for the wheel if i'm gonna veg, might as well get the nodes as tight as i can. I'm prob gonna need a new bulb soon, gonna have my friend bring his light meter over soon.

anyone who wants to weigh in on how much root space i will want for 2-3 foot plants in RW ebb and flow, would be appriciated. Mcbuds, wanna venture a guess? i would appreciate it.

thanks.

My hydro experince to dat only include the ebb and gro with hydroton... but if it were me I would go more then see if I could get by with less. Say try 6 inch cubes and go from there.

sound reasoning mcbuds, seeing that too much would be probably be better than too little, it is better to err on the side of caution.

but, thinking scientifically, i think i will run a test to see where i should go.

i am thinking ill do 8 of them at 3x2 which means 9"x6"x2.5" = 2.2 liters

for the sake of comparison, I'm also thinking i might do 1 at 2x2, 6"x6"x2.5" = 1.5 liters

and one at 1x3, 3"x9"x2.5" = 1.1 liters.

i will be buying the RW tomorrow most likely.

yesterday i mixed up my new res with some RO (10 gallons), hygrozyme, superthrive, sweet, voodoo juice, cal-mag, all at 2/3 strength. this is to give the bacteria in the voodoo juice some time to replicate before i start the wheel up.

I also calibrated my PH and EC tri-meter which needed a minor PH tweaking but EC was dead on.

right now my res sits nuteless at .710 EC. My target for the first week will be light, about ~800ppm (x700) = ~1.2 ec. gradually increasing.

that means only .5 ec, or 350ppm of grow juice.

what I'll do is try to add 1/2 recommended amount of CNS17 grow, and then if i have to dilute it a bit add some more RO up to maybe 12 gal. total.

ok, I added 2/3 strength seedling dose of CNS17 grow, and my EC is 1.38 = less than 1000 ppm. i think my clones can handle that, so i'm not going to dilute it any. i may add in the final 1/3 grow and dilute at my discretion.

my PH was 5.2 just from the additives, i did not adjust it. independently confirmed the PH with liquid solution to make sure.

i think the tank is ready to go.

getting closer to ready, just 1 million holes to drill in the holders.

oh yeah, and i had some thrips hitch hike in from my bro's garden.

SOB!

not enough of a problem to do anything yet. . . will get sticky paper when i get the cubes.

been a couple days since an update and stuff is happening slow but steady.

i always try to plan and think about possibilities, and research and do what i can to choose the best option. . . sometimes no matter what you plan or thought you were going to do, ends up being altogether academic. because when you actually start to do the thing, answers reveal themselves as part of the process. And you would be a fool not to pay attention, and listen.

i love it when that happens:

for instance, i have been trying to figure out exactly how big i want my root space to be. this has been the question of the week.

now, after I mod'ed some of the cube holders to transplant the clones i realized an amazing thing about my mod. it makes it very easily modular. this means that i can put them in there with just the double structure i have now. and then when i see roots pop out of the side, i'll just add another row of RW and let it grow in.

this is quite a nice result of the mod, and it will tell me itself when it need more space.

the one kinda downfall is that I will have to put at least one mod holder in before each of these gals because i won't be able to take them out once i start tying them down. if i wanted the possibility of 10x i would need to slip in 2 before.

modding these cube are a bit of a bitch. not hard just time consuming and a cut myself. lol.

here is some mod scrap:

9-16-09-1.JPG

and here they are all snug in their new home. I'm going to let the roots grow into the cubes a bit before i place them in the wheel. . . plus I am diggen the node spacing under MH. i might get a 600 MH for the veg part of the wheel:

just misted and put back under the MH:

9-16-09-2.JPG

now as far as these clones i got, i don't know what is going on here. they are showing some weird growth patterns, and traits.

for instance this one looks like a FIMming session gone really right!

9-16-09-3.JPG

i think i might call this girl rouge after the x-men mutant.

9-16-09-5.JPG

9-16-09-4.JPG

the center leaf in this fan leaf is a second tier mutant hovering above its own leaf brothers lol.

9-16-09-6.JPG

9-16-09-7.JPG

I don't know what the hell my friend is doing to these things, I'm gonna have to ask him tomorrow.

the title of this journal could have been attack of the holy mutants. lol.

Back
Top Bottom