RC - White Widow in 4 Gallon Hempy Buckets!

rc51sport

After doing some research on Hempy buckets I have just been itching to give it a shot! I have seen some very nice yields from the smallest of buckets. So i figured why the hell not? A bag of FFOF runs $60 just about everywhere online, finally found it for $40 on ebay, the bugs are aggravating, and I keep spilling dirt everywhere!

I went to HD the other day and found these nice 4 gallon wastebaskets. They measure 11.8 x 9 x 13.25 inches. The rectangular shape will let me keep the plants close together.

1110005.jpg

As you can see some of my clones arent looking as good as I would like. I dont know if this is from splashing the rooting hormone/superthrive solution on them or from not using a humidity dome? I think they will be fine though, other from the damage that has been there since the first few days they look fine.

1110001.jpg

1110002.jpg

1110003.jpg

1110004.jpg

I had already selected one clone that had started showing roots already to become my first Hempy bucket test victim. She is a White Widow clone, one of the last 6 taken from the original mother. I will be starting her out in a 40oz styrofoam cup that my delicious smoothy came in. I put her drain hole 4" oc from the bottom (pretty high up) so the roots will reach the water sooner before i transplant into her final 4gal home. At this time I will be starting the second clone in the 40oz cup and repeat. I like to keep my harvests staggered. Oh and dont worry, i have another 15gal of perlite on the way ;) dont think i need to worry about running out any time soon!

1110006.jpg

1110007.jpg

1110008.jpg

Oh, and 1 more thing... I think I may let these girls grow straight up instead of topping or LSTing them.. If anything maybe top a couple times like the WW in my other grow? She looks like she will yield the most........ any thoughts? anyone...

thanks for stopping by ;)
:thanks:

and hope everyone had a great night last night and has an even better 2010!!!
:partyboy:

Re: RC - White Widow in 4gal Hempy buckets!

I guess I should also mention the lighting, temps, nutes, ect...

Right now I have the Hempy cup under 1 26w daylight CFL to get her started, up to 3 more may be added to get her roots to the bottom of the cup. Then when I move her to the 4 gallon buckets I will place her under the 100w CFL until her roots reach the bottom. At this point she will be placed right into flower. As small as I can keep them as long as their roots are wet!

For nutes I am starting out with plain water with 1 drop/gal superthrive added. I have some cal-mag plus on the way that I will use once it arrives. After the roots reach the water I will start with Vigoro 10-10-10 @ 1/4 str 2.5-2.5-2.5 then move to 1/2 str 5-5-5 with superthrive and cal-mag added. For flower I will use Green Light Super Bloom Flower Food 12-55-6 @ 1/4 str 3-13.75-1.5. This will be used until I can afford some Fox Farm nutes or something organic.

right now the temps in the veg room have been between 68-72 (night) to 72-77 (day time) RH 50-65% Flower room temps 70-75 (lights off) to 72-77 (lights on) RH 50-55%

any questions? please... im bored lol oooh looks like ill be picking up a little AK Bubba Kush later ;) woohoo!

:thanks:

hey bro.....that drain hole is too high. You want it about 2 inches up....not 4. The water will stagnate, and your plants will be growing in a swamp....perlite wicks water really well.

When you water in a hempy, there's supposed to be runoff. You'll have to nute up and water about a gallon per plant to achieve that with the hole that high....and you'll be too moist. Not good.

You'll be much happier if you put the hole according to spec.....2 inches.

hey bro.....that drain hole is too high. You want it about 2 inches up....not 4. The water will stagnate, and your plants will be growing in a swamp....perlite wicks water really well.

When you water in a hempy, there's supposed to be runoff. You'll have to nute up and water about a gallon per plant to achieve that with the hole that high....and you'll be too moist. Not good.

You'll be much happier if you put the hole according to spec.....2 inches.

makes sense
will do, thanks

No need to plug up the old hole...just drill a new one 2 inches up!

You're gonna love the hempy. Another nice thing about it is clean up. Just cut up the plant and dump the whole bucket into a trash bag. The perlite is so light, easy to carry out to the trash, down the stairs...whatever.

and much cheaper on shipping! think i payed around 15$ to ship 15gal of perlite, 50lb bag of soil around $50 for shipping

plus the size of harvests im seeing is very impressive to me! I know not to expect a whole lot with 5 68w SW CFLs but should be better than soil right? either way the little bit of knowledge I gain from every grow seems to help me grow more potent and higher yielding plants every time. Its only going to get better!

Doc, what would you say? mix a small amount or vermiculite with the perlite or just straight perlite? theres a very small amount of vermiculite in the cup and im pretty suprised about how wet it stays and how long, more than i expected. it feels fine for growin the roots on the clone but i was wondering about the 4gal buckets?

Doc, what would you say? mix a small amount or vermiculite with the perlite or just straight perlite? theres a very small amount of vermiculite in the cup and im pretty suprised about how wet it stays and how long, more than i expected. it feels fine for growin the roots on the clone but i was wondering about the 4gal buckets?

Well, Hempy recommends 3 or 4 to one perlite/vermiculite.
I used 4:1 in my grow.

I vegged for 12 days and then flowered....got a total of 14.5 ounces dried from 5 plants....and the roots completely filled a 2 gallon bucket. In other words, it worked damn good.

I'm going to go with 4:1 myself.....with the exception of the reservoir portion being pure perlite. Since that area is always wet, I want chunky perlite there.

Why mess with success? People use these hempy's exactly as designed and get excellent results.

sounds good, i try to stay away from vermiculite as much as i can, i just dont like the stuff

nice yield, 3oz/plant! good job, how tall did they get? what kinda light did you flower under?

sounds good, i try to stay away from vermiculite as much as i can, i just dont like the stuff

nice yield, 3oz/plant! good job, how tall did they get? what kinda light did you flower under?

Vegged and flowered under a 1000watt. MH for veg and first 2 weeks of flower, HPS for the remainder.

The tallest plants were 36". It's all in my journal....hempy all the way. :grinjoint:

well guys, here comes the first update with a few pics!

these 2 are for the hempy buckets. im used to growing in soil so i have a quick question... i notice the lower leaves yellowing, is this most likely due to just being so hungry already? been watering with superthrive and 1tsp cal-mag plus/gal (which has a small amount of nitrogen)

Should i up the feedings to include a quarter or even less dose maybe of miracle-gro 10-10-10 (best i can do for grow nutes at the moment)
107201001.jpg

107201002.jpg

These are the rest of the clones that i had taken (minus 1). one never rooted for me and dried up - there goes my 100% cloning record, go figure, the 1 time i decide to try doing it a lil differently... DONT MESS WITH SUCCESS!!! (lesson learned)
107201003.jpg

This one i though hadnt made it but when i dug it up there was a root so i figured ill stick it in soil and see what happens
107201004.jpg

an unknown seed from some really heavily triched buds, shes goin outside for a 2010 harvest
107201005.jpg

:cheer:

The yellow leaves are because there is zero nutrition in perlite. The plants get nothing unless you feed it to them!

Also, the thing to keep in mind with hempies is that they look raggedy and sick until the roots reach the bottom. Then, it's miraculous how the plants change.

Water and lightly feed one to three times per day until the roots hit bottom.

Whats up RC,I'm starting some seeds today in a manner similar to docbuds hempy grow an think i'll try hempy. you're off to a great start,i'll be watching your progress.:Rasta::goodjob:

thank PP and Sonora!

glad to see you on board for this one! i cant wait to see how it turns out.

now i know how my WW does with unsterilized cheap soil, potsizes, too much nutes, and spidermites!
lets see what i can do if i eliminate the pests, use better nutes properly, and grow hempy style.

wondering if i will get bigger and better buds with the hempy buckets or its the lights holding me back. i want to see how far i can take these CFLs i think they can do better

Update Time!

its still cold here in FL, been a struggle to keep the grow rooms at 70F.

I just watered the soil clones and fed the hempy girls. I picked up some "Alaska Fish Fertilizer" 5-1-1 used 1tsp/gal + 1tsp/gal cal-mag 2-0-0. I meant to use 1tsp/quart for the AFF but got caught up on the 1tsp/gal thing lol but ill start them low and see how they react, then up from there.

The AFF bottle says "deoderized" but DONT BELIEVE IT. ive been a fisherman my WHOLE life, since in diapers, and this stuff STINKS!

Nutes were PH'd to 6.0, should i get something to add more P and K? Also i need to get something for the algae, never had an algae prob before and now it outbreaks.

113201001.jpg

113201002.jpg

113201003.jpg

The hempy girls were starting to get pretty hungry, first started feeding them new mix last night and already look better.

113201004.jpg

113201005.jpg

113201006.jpg

113201007.jpg

113201008.jpg

113201009.jpg

113201010.jpg

Soil WW clones are in FFOF w/ 1/3 perlite. Watered w/ plain water today, they were dry and light.

The first one started out rough, looked about dead during cloning process and was about to throw away. Then i saw roots! The top dried up and fell off, wasnt sure if she would make it. She is doing MUCH better now and those branches appeared only yesterday!

113201013.jpg
113201014.jpg

Soil clones are much greener and growing much faster than the hempy girls so far. I'm sure that will change soon, i still need to get the nutes figured out. any tips appreciated!

113201015.jpg
113201016.jpg
113201017.jpg

this is from a seed i found in a bag of very very trichy nugs, unknown strain.

113201011.jpg

113201012.jpg

group shot!!!
113201018.jpg

thanks guys! hope you are enjoying the show!

I love the Hempy!

don't worry about that algae....it means nothing at all. If you really can't stand it, just put some fresh perlite over the top of it. down in the bottom there's no algae, because there's no light.

I'm surprised the soil clones are growing faster....how long have your hempy clones been in the cups?

Also, how often are you watering the cups?

The reason is that while the roots are furiously seeking the bottom of the cup, the medium may need to be wetted 2 or 3 times a day.

Keep the nutes light!

Once those roots hit bottom it will be like someone hit a switch....the plants will react almost immediately.

Back
Top Bottom