Green Knight Berry Bomb Experiment #2 - LED

Green Knight

Hello. So this is my third journal and after the last grow where the yield was less than I wanted I've decided to upgrade from a 125w cfl to a 200w LED.
I'm growing DWC using Canna Hydro nutes. For anyone new to my journals, here's a picture of the grow cupboard - self built in an existing cupboard. I've got a room for flowering, extracted through a carbon filter, and a cutting / veg cab underneath that has a 30w cfl.
IMG_17467.JPG

I will be growing BerryBomb again, and I'm going to flower the mother I've had chilling in my veg cab to cut the time down before my next harvest. She's now about 5-6m old and has quite a beating in her life. This was her a month or two from germ:

IMG_126210.JPG

I'd cloned her and then I flowered one of the clones for the last grow. The mother took quite a severe trim and has been maintained under a 30w cfl for the last 4m or so:
IMG_12749.JPG

IMG_12758.JPG

IMG_12767.JPG

IMG_12859.JPG

I moved her up to the main flower room shortly after harvesting the last crop a couple of weeks ago and she was under the 125w cfl for about a week before the led arrived.
They're not keen on you mentioning led brands etc on here but here's a few photos of the light. It's a 200w draw:

IMG_17444.JPG

IMG_17437.JPG

The mother was a bit ragged initially. I didn't check her for a few days, got lazy, and she got some pH issues. I also put the big cfl too close when I moved her up to the main room and after months under really low light intensity she burnt. This was her when I turned the led on for the first time:
IMG_17299.JPG

IMG_17317.JPG

IMG_17339.JPG

IMG_173210.JPG

All I can say is holy shit. The led is amazing. It is a higher wattage than the cfl (200w vs 125w) but the difference is massive. The plant's gone mental in terms of growth, looks really healthy and is smashing the nutes. Under cfl I've kept the EC at 1.3 and it always rises slowly as she uses more water than nutes whilst the pH drops. Under the led the EC is dropping from 1.3 and the pH is rising. Sweet! I've increased the EC to 1.5 today so we'll see how she goes.

Her roots have gone insane - another difference is they're so much whiter, healthier and more vigorous than the roots have been under a cfl:
IMG_17546.JPG

IMG_17557.JPG

I've re-installed the screen for the scrog and I've done a bit of supercropping (her stems are so much stronger and harder to supercrop under the led!). I also stripped some leaves a few days ago.

IMG_17485.JPG

IMG_175811.JPG

I'm going to let her fill the screen and then take a couple of clones before flipping. At the rate she's growing that could be next weekend. This light is the nuts!

I should also mention the RH has been a bit low. It's been staying around 25% +/- 5%. I've put a glass of water in there to increase the humidity a bit and it's been at 44% for the last 24 hours which I'm happier with.

im in. awesome setup. didnt know you took care of a mother. very cool :D

Excellent, cheers Jon. Yeah, I'm really excited - the footprint and penetration are so much better, it's definitely going to improve yield this grow. I'm interested to see by how much.

I'm going to start my super lemon haze when I flip this grow. I'll take a cutting of the berry bomb for the future and to do the non-defoliated comparison.
The big cfl won't fit in the veg cab unfortunately - that bulb is stupid big!

im in. awesome setup. didnt know you took care of a mother. very cool :D

Thanks bmeat. Yeah, she's just been maintained, can't say I took care of her as such! I kept cutting her back as she got too big, but she's doing well again now. I'll take cuttings so I can keep her for the future

Yes please!
Congrats on the new purchase!
with jon here, there shouldn't be anything you can't handle with this grow!
Excited to watch!

+reps!

Yes yes yes. Reps added. Guys this will be a grow to watch.

Cheers hank, thanks for the reps mate. I'm really looking forward to seeing the difference the led makes

Yes please!
Congrats on the new purchase!
with jon here, there shouldn't be anything you can't handle with this grow!
Excited to watch!

+reps!

Thanks for the reps Vick! Given how differently she's already behaving under the led I'm definitely going to have questions as I adjust. It's great to have you all at 420 to help answer them!

I'm sub'd up. that led looks sweet, who manufactured it? I really enjoy watching the led grows here and really believe that LED's are one of the cutting edge choices we now have. I plan on returning to led's in 12 months or so. Got lots of debt to get caught up on before I can save up the chunk to get them. I also like the induction lamps.
Gotta love the growth explosion you noticed after turning on the light emitting diodes:)
+Reps bro

I'm sub'd up. that led looks sweet, who manufactured it? I really enjoy watching the led grows here and really believe that LED's are one of the cutting edge choices we now have. I plan on returning to led's in 12 months or so. Got lots of debt to get caught up on before I can save up the chunk to get them. I also like the induction lamps.
Gotta love the growth explosion you noticed after turning on the light emitting diodes:)
+Reps bro

Hi mate, good to have you along - thank you for the reps.

Cos of sponsorship and stuff 420 aren't keen on openly naming other led brands unfortunately. The light was made in China and I got it through a European distributor. I hear you about the price - they're not cheap pieces of kit. They definitely make a huge difference from what I've seen in a very short space of time, and it's not just related to the extra watts of power. This Berrybomb used the nutes exactly the same whether she was under the 30w cfl or the 125w one, with EC slowly rising from 1.3 over 4-5 days and the pH dropping. A few days under the led and she's hoovering up the nutes and the EC is now dropping so she's definitely photosynthesising more, and the growth is a lot more vigorous.

Excellent, cheers Jon. Yeah, I'm really excited - the footprint and penetration are so much better, it's definitely going to improve yield this grow. I'm interested to see by how much.

I'm going to start my super lemon haze when I flip this grow. I'll take a cutting of the berry bomb for the future and to do the non-defoliated comparison.
The big cfl won't fit in the veg cab unfortunately - that bulb is stupid big!
ok so why not switch out your cfl's in the veg cab for 6400k floros? you could put 3 or 4 two footers in the veg cab and have lots of room for a big plant if you train it low like you do, they are cheap to buy(25 bucks for 2 footers around here) and cheap to run(30 watts each or so)I use the 4 foot Sunblaster 6400k's for vegging my soil plants and they work great:)

Hi mate, good to have you along - thank you for the reps.

Cos of sponsorship and stuff 420 aren't keen on openly naming other led brands unfortunately. The light was made in China and I got it through a European distributor. I hear you about the price - they're not cheap pieces of kit. They definitely make a huge difference from what I've seen in a very short space of time, and it's not just related to the extra watts of power. This Berrybomb used the nutes exactly the same whether she was under the 30w cfl or the 125w one, with EC slowly rising from 1.3 over 4-5 days and the pH dropping. A few days under the led and she's hoovering up the nutes and the EC is now dropping so she's definitely photosynthesising more, and the growth is a lot more vigorous.
your allowed to tells us what light your using you cant add links to they're site and you cant promote them by using they're name in every post. If people are interested in them its up to them to go the the website:)

That's a very good idea, thanks mate. It would give me more height than the current reflector and better overall light than the single 30w bulb. It would be good to get it on a 2 month or so rotation between harvests so more light in the veg room will definitely help

your allowed to tells us what light your using you cant add links to they're site and you cant promote them by using they're name in every post. If people are interested in them its up to them to go the the website:)

Ha ha! That makes life easier!

Well, for those interested, the light was manufactured by the Shenzhen CrazyLight Optoelectronic Technology Co., Ltd. (seriously!!) and is sold as the Bulldog 6 spot - I got it through Fero Europe.

3w LEDs (i forget which brand) and the wavelengths are:

2 x 6500k (cool white)
1 x 440nm, 2 x 460nm (blues)
9 red: 1 x 620nm, 4 x 640nm, 3 x 660nm
1 x infrared (700nm)

Back
Top Bottom