Green Knight - Hydro CFL - Auto Bomb - First Grow Journal

Day 51 - probably just a couple of weeks to go. No sign of any amber trichs yet - mostly clear, some milky. I'm keeping an eye on them but thinking of starting a two week flush this weekend / early next week. I read somewhere on here that a good time to start the flush is just as amber trichs appear, then flush for two weeks, but if anybody has any other advice on a good time to start it would be greatly appreciated. Seed company says it finishes in 65+ days so I'm thinking realistically it will probably be 70-75 days until she's ready for the chop.

IMG_100311.JPG

IMG_100612.JPG

IMG_100815.JPG

IMG_101318.JPG

IMG_101413.JPG

IMG_102415.JPG

IMG_102515.JPG

herbie changes his seeds often ish, i got a load of big bud#2 regular seeds free, i find the regular free seeds tend to be the same for the other free fem seeds changes often, the sleestack cross skunk is an amazing looking plant, i got one growing as we speak, it looks amazing the leaves on it are so defined and look a whole lot better than the other plants ive grown and its only a week old.
i planted the other sleestack cross skunk seed a few days ago and this seed shocked me, it turned out to be a twin, i checked my seedling tray before going to bed the night before last and their was 2 shoots growing out the one seed tray section, i had to double check i never dropped 2 seeds in their, so i dug down and only found 1 seed shell, so very carefully i kept digging down and these 2 shoots where twisted round each other, then i came to the tap root and both of these shoots share the same tap root,

so i planted 1 seed and got 2 plants growing from the same seed, they both look identical in height and size and even curve the same way, ill continue to grow it and slowly tie them apart so they dont block the light from each other, they are smaller than other seedlings, well the stem is shorter, the leaves seen to be about the same, if the plant grows nice and healthy then ill try breeding it, would be great if i could bring this trait out with an auto strain, so even if its male ill collect the pollen and try and bring this trait out as long as it grows well and is worth while, its the first time i had heard of this so i asked around and it does happen but it is very rare, so ill try working with it and see what happens

Looking good. Hope to see a nice yield!

Me too! Really haven't got a clue what it might be yet though; it's been so many years since my last grow that I can't really reference it. I keep looking at the buds and trying to work it out, thinking that one might give an 1/8, that one a 1/4, maybe an 1/8th from those two combined.... If I get an oz or more I'll be happy, less than that disappointed. Will just have to wait and see....

herbie changes his seeds often ish, i got a load of big bud#2 regular seeds free, i find the regular free seeds tend to be the same for the other free fem seeds changes often, the sleestack cross skunk is an amazing looking plant, i got one growing as we speak, it looks amazing the leaves on it are so defined and look a whole lot better than the other plants ive grown and its only a week old.
i planted the other sleestack cross skunk seed a few days ago and this seed shocked me, it turned out to be a twin, i checked my seedling tray before going to bed the night before last and their was 2 shoots growing out the one seed tray section, i had to double check i never dropped 2 seeds in their, so i dug down and only found 1 seed shell, so very carefully i kept digging down and these 2 shoots where twisted round each other, then i came to the tap root and both of these shoots share the same tap root,

so i planted 1 seed and got 2 plants growing from the same seed, they both look identical in height and size and even curve the same way, ill continue to grow it and slowly tie them apart so they dont block the light from each other, they are smaller than other seedlings, well the stem is shorter, the leaves seen to be about the same, if the plant grows nice and healthy then ill try breeding it, would be great if i could bring this trait out with an auto strain, so even if its male ill collect the pollen and try and bring this trait out as long as it grows well and is worth while, its the first time i had heard of this so i asked around and it does happen but it is very rare, so ill try working with it and see what happens

That's quite mental, two plants from one seed; cool though!

very cool indeed, i had to turn my laptop back on just to ask others if they had seen it before, everyone i spoke to had heard nothing but 3 growers had heard of it before but had never seen it happen, now im hoping its a good trait and if it grows well and flowers well then ill try and cross it with an auto, im playing around with autos at the moment and ive just crossed an auto with a none auto to try and increase yield, only a 1/4 of the seeds will be auto so ill get the best male and female that is auto and cross them together, this should then give me auto seeds, plus it should increase yield due to what ive crossed it with, but only time will tell, and if this twin grows ok then ill try and cross this with an auto and see if i can keep the twin trait, chances are its a 1 in a million and i wont get it again, but like twins in humans it does happen again and again so it might happen when i cross it, ill have to see what happens

out of interest dp, do you have any recommendations or thoughts on when it's a good time to start flushing pre-harvest? I reckon I've still got 2-3 weeks to go but I also know that seed company recommendations for harvest time can be a bit off. I'm now at day 51 and the seed company says it's ready 65+ days. I'm thinking starting this weekend (day 55) so a two week flush would take me to around day 70, but is there anything a bit more robust as a starting guide; I'm sure I read somewhere to start flushing just as you start seeing amber trichs on the buds, but can't remember where I read it, and what i don't want is bud that's going to properly nail me to a sofa so I'm looking for 10% amber at the most I reckon.

from what i can tell mate its best to flush around 10 days before harvest, plus you need to flush with 3 times the pot size, so say a 3 gallon pot would need 9gallon of water, i think this is a bit much but its what they say, i usually flush till the water runs clean, so id say to flush around 10 to 14 days before harvest, thats what im going with, if your looking for 10% amber then id flush when the trichs are around 5% amber, this should give them time to go 10% amber, but letting the pot go dry will make the trichs turn amber and so will lower temps,

so id flush around the 10day mark and at about 5%amber, this should give you the 10% your looking for, this is strain dependant though so some can change quicker and some longer, plus when you harvest the buds will still change over a couple of day, so even if you harvest at 10% amber then it will be slightly more than that when dry.

i tried a few drying methods and found that drying the buds on a flat surface was the quickest way, i hung some bud and placed the rest in the bottom of a small box, then each day i turned the buds in the box to stop them sticking to the bottom and drying uneven, the buds in the box dried out a whole lot quicker than the buds that was hung while still on the stem, i think the stem holds a lot of moisture and this makes them dry out slower, so the buds i out in the box i removed from the stem so it was just the bud with no stem, i left the top of the box open to keep air moving, and i gave the box a gentle shake every now and then, turning the buds makes them dry even.

when they was dry i sampled both lots of bud and their was no difference in taste or affect, both was the same from what i could tell,
im not telling you to use the box method, its just something i tried, so when i harvest now ill be putting a small amount in a box to dry quicker and the rest will be hung on the stems, that way i can sample the buds sooner without quick drying and i can still put them all together when they go into jars to cure, id say it cut the drying time down by around 5 days, i think if you had some fine net to put them on instead of a box then you would not need to turn them, something like a net curtain would be idea but it would need mounting so it was not on the floor, doing this should make it dry evenly without turning the buds

out of interest dp, do you have any recommendations or thoughts on when it's a good time to start flushing pre-harvest? I reckon I've still got 2-3 weeks to go but I also know that seed company recommendations for harvest time can be a bit off. I'm now at day 51 and the seed company says it's ready 65+ days. I'm thinking starting this weekend (day 55) so a two week flush would take me to around day 70, but is there anything a bit more robust as a starting guide; I'm sure I read somewhere to start flushing just as you start seeing amber trichs on the buds, but can't remember where I read it, and what i don't want is bud that's going to properly nail me to a sofa so I'm looking for 10% amber at the most I reckon.
I did two weeks but if I remember correctly hydro can flush much quicker than soil, but two weeks seems to give it an adequate flush and make your buds tasty, but as I mentioned I am speaking only from experience and I used soil. Maybe someone can give you a better idea, and I started my flush as soon as I saw a few amber trich's, by the end of flush I had about 8% amber was the farthest from couch lock :thumb:

Hey DP I dried one whole plant of my last harvest in a cardboard box, and I agree, seems like it cut the drying time by several days compared to my hanging buds, I definitely recommend giving it a try

very cool indeed, i had to turn my laptop back on just to ask others if they had seen it before, everyone i spoke to had heard nothing but 3 growers had heard of it before but had never seen it happen, now im hoping its a good trait and if it grows well and flowers well then ill try and cross it with an auto, im playing around with autos at the moment and ive just crossed an auto with a none auto to try and increase yield, only a 1/4 of the seeds will be auto so ill get the best male and female that is auto and cross them together, this should then give me auto seeds, plus it should increase yield due to what ive crossed it with, but only time will tell, and if this twin grows ok then ill try and cross this with an auto and see if i can keep the twin trait, chances are its a 1 in a million and i wont get it again, but like twins in humans it does happen again and again so it might happen when i cross it, ill have to see what happens

I hope to see a cross with the twin!! Damn that would call for private breeding program!

if this twin is male ill still use the pollen, im wondering if its like humans where twins tend to have twins when they give birth so are plants the same as this, it all depends how it grows, if it grows well and is a good trait then ill be breeding it for sure, but will the seeds have a twin trait, its just to hard to tell, wouldnt it be amazing if one was male and one was female, sort of like none identical twins,

thanks fluffy, i just try and pass on as much as i can, when i came to this site i knew nothing, never heard of auto seeds and never knew about fem seeds, it was over 10 years ago when i did my last grow and it was pretty basic, but the bud was nice, so i decided to grow again more for medical reason than anything else, the docs where giving me tablets to help with insomnia and anxeity, but then one day i stopped at my moms with my kids and i didnt have my tablets with me, i thought nothing of it, then i went to bed and had the worst night ever, my whole body ached, my bones ached, i was going hot and cold, clearly i was withdrawing from the crap the doctor had put me on, so i started smoking bud again and slowly worked my way of these tablets, but i soon found that smoking bud solved my problems and gave me the best nights sleep ever, so thats why i started growing again, plus it takes my mind off some of the crap i been through,

the meds are way better when you grow them yourself, plus you can choose what strain to grow and a grow method, so since starting this site i have learned so much, and i do my best to pass on as much info to others as possible, plus i like to experiment with things and if it works and improves things then ill pass this info on as well, at the moment im messing around with autos, trying to make a decent auto that yields well, so far i crossed an auto with a none auto strain that produced fast growing big buds, so im hoping the seeds will have some of this trait, then ill get a male and female from the seeds of the auto and make sure their auto and cross them with each other this will give me 100% auto seeds from what i can tell, where as the seeds at the moment will only be around 1/4 auto, so i need to find the best male and female thats auto from this batch of seeds, plus the other plants ive crossed gives me a good seed stock, ive got around 300 seeds now, so these will last me a long time, plus ill only plant 1 or 2 along side my other strains, im doing this so i dont get bored of smoking the same bud all the time.

thanks everyone for all the reps, just doing my bit to help others,

DP, it's part of the reason my lack of knowledge frustrates me, that I can't really help others very much. Thank you for being you.

dont worry, the longer your on here the more you will pick up, plus growing your own plants teaches you loads, its taught me more than i ever thought possible, i never knew their was so many different ways to grow, i try things as i go along and if it works it works if it dont then i know not to try it again, so far so good, not had any major problems, but im sure ill have my fair share as time goes on

from what i can tell mate its best to flush around 10 days before harvest, plus you need to flush with 3 times the pot size, so say a 3 gallon pot would need 9gallon of water, i think this is a bit much but its what they say, i usually flush till the water runs clean, so id say to flush around 10 to 14 days before harvest, thats what im going with, if your looking for 10% amber then id flush when the trichs are around 5% amber, this should give them time to go 10% amber, but letting the pot go dry will make the trichs turn amber and so will lower temps,

so id flush around the 10day mark and at about 5%amber, this should give you the 10% your looking for, this is strain dependant though so some can change quicker and some longer, plus when you harvest the buds will still change over a couple of day, so even if you harvest at 10% amber then it will be slightly more than that when dry.

i tried a few drying methods and found that drying the buds on a flat surface was the quickest way, i hung some bud and placed the rest in the bottom of a small box, then each day i turned the buds in the box to stop them sticking to the bottom and drying uneven, the buds in the box dried out a whole lot quicker than the buds that was hung while still on the stem, i think the stem holds a lot of moisture and this makes them dry out slower, so the buds i out in the box i removed from the stem so it was just the bud with no stem, i left the top of the box open to keep air moving, and i gave the box a gentle shake every now and then, turning the buds makes them dry even.

when they was dry i sampled both lots of bud and their was no difference in taste or affect, both was the same from what i could tell,
im not telling you to use the box method, its just something i tried, so when i harvest now ill be putting a small amount in a box to dry quicker and the rest will be hung on the stems, that way i can sample the buds sooner without quick drying and i can still put them all together when they go into jars to cure, id say it cut the drying time down by around 5 days, i think if you had some fine net to put them on instead of a box then you would not need to turn them, something like a net curtain would be idea but it would need mounting so it was not on the floor, doing this should make it dry evenly without turning the buds

I did two weeks but if I remember correctly hydro can flush much quicker than soil, but two weeks seems to give it an adequate flush and make your buds tasty, but as I mentioned I am speaking only from experience and I used soil. Maybe someone can give you a better idea, and I started my flush as soon as I saw a few amber trich's, by the end of flush I had about 8% amber was the farthest from couch lock

Thanks dp and gg; checked again today and no sign of any amber trichs on any of the buds. I reckon as soon as I see amber I'll start the flush and aim for 10 days as a minimum and see how things go. The buds look like they've still got a fair way to fill out though so I'm pretty sure I've still got a few weeks to go.

Cheers for the advice, and also the drying tips!

Back
Top Bottom