• VapeDogg223

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Vick074

Votes: 31 46.3%
  • OG1969

Votes: 10 14.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't know there were contests until I saw it in signatures. I think whoever greeting me in the introduce your self thread said something about it, but most likely, like me, others don't really pay attention to that part yet.

Perhaps there would be voters if there was something on the home page about voting for member of the month and so on. "Make your vote count. Vote now" Have the vote now be a link to the contests.
same here,it was at least a month before I new where to go to find these contests.

These links are always on the bottom of the home page. We feel that our mission of creating Cannabis awareness takes priority over contests, which is why it remains at bottom. Places like high times are for fun as top priority, however our agenda is completely different. The mission comes first, the fun comes when the work is done. :Namaste:

420-Contests-Home-Page.jpg

I didn't know there were contests until I saw it in signatures. I think whoever greeting me in the introduce your self thread said something about it, but most likely, like me, others don't really pay attention to that part yet.

Perhaps there would be voters if there was something on the home page about voting for member of the month and so on. "Make your vote count. Vote now" Have the vote now be a link to the contests.

These links are always on the bottom of the home page. We feel that our mission of creating Cannabis awareness takes priority over contests, which is why it remains at bottom. Places like high times are for fun as top priority, however our agenda is completely different. The mission comes first, the fun comes when the work is done. :Namaste:

420-Contests-Home-Page.jpg

Most members don't spend time on the home page (at least I don't), I would recommend placing them in www.420magazine.com/forums if we can figure out a good spot that won't cause troubles ;)

Home page? :rofl:

My bookmark goes to subscriptions, so I can't even recall what the Home page looks like. I understand why the contests aren't more prominent on the site. Keep the focus on the mission! :cheer:

Like Jon, I didn't know about the contests until I noticed the link in someone's signature. For those of us that want to help promote the contests, do as Jon and I did, put a link in your signature.

I'm very glad to see there's a warm and fuzzy feeling in here now. Giga made a couple good points. For those of us that don't nominate someone, it's pretty much the same result, right? Maybe. In the old process, we could see who has already been nominated, and therefore not need to nominate someone ourselves. It seems the real question is, would we have had a different list of nominees this month if we had used the old process? We can never say for certain, but my suspicion is yes.

What this change has really done is change the intent of the contest. Instead of a contest to reward the member most valuable to the other members, we now have a contest to reward the member that best represents management's vision of what makes a valuable member. There is nothing wrong with this at all IMHO.

We still have contests where members can reward other members for their efforts, ie Nug of the Month and Plant of the Month. The MoM contest had been a best or most helpful grower of the month contest. Look at the MoY candidate list. All are growers. I understand why management made this change, and I can't fault them for wanting to reward members supporting the site mission in ways other than growing.

What if we just split the contest? Member of the Month and Grower of the Month. Keep the MoM contest the way it is with the new format, and make the new one like the old format.

Hiking on...
:Namaste:

Unfortunately, with all of the time and energy it takes 420 Girl and I to handle the 3 contests we already have and all of the behind the scenes drama attached to it sometimes with cheating, reports, violations, etc. there simply is no time and/or energy left for us to do anymore contests. Sorry guys. This is a great goal for when we have a larger staff, however I don't see it happening anytime soon. :thanks:
What if we just split the contest? Member of the Month and Grower of the Month. Keep the MoM contest the way it is with the new format, and make the new one like the old format.

I too did not know where to go to find the contests and really am focused on growing and helping and getting help where I need it lol. Have been part of many forums, not just the MMJ, ones, anything from fishing, was hooked on that one, cooking, which is my livelyhood and a few others there is always gonna be something that comes up that all of us won't agree on and that is good, that is why we live in the U.S.A. we can all have out own opinion and it may not set right with some, but we can voice our opinion as just that an opinopn. We as members are not paying for this site, although I tried but the link would not work and 420Girl informed me that due to the fact that they were Marijuana related they could not have a bank accout , or I would have opted for the $7 a month to help out and find those hidden forums :thumb: , but it is what it is and we have staff that sounds like they voulenteer their time to keep this up and running, MY hat is off to you Gals and guys , I know backwords but we are dealing with the female here on this site most of he time. I am not a new grower, but when I joined it had been almost 15-17 years since I had grown. Loved the MR. Rosenthall books back in the day, but this site is taking everything he had written and turned it into a dragster on leaves. Some, shit most of the journal's are amazing with the stuff you are doing and all the new techniques, I mean just a pleasure to be here amost like minded people, Peace all sorry for rambling, contest or no contest, a very well laid out and friendly forum for me. Congrat's to all the members here on 420 you are all members of the month and years. OG

I'd just like to take a quick second to thank everyone for their amazing support!
Was completely blown away when I was first nominated, and after not checking the poles for a few days I can't believe how many people have actually voted in my favor so far. wow
So Thank you everybody!
From the bottom of my :green_heart:

Wow my head is spinning from reading all the comments. I will not pass judgement on the new rules. I didn't think the old contest was a popularity contest at all. Just noticed that most of the noms seem to be real experienced growers which kind of leads to my next question. Not saying that experience doesn't matter. Does nominees have to be people with major experience? Could it possibly be a person who has maybe done a lot of improvement with their own grow? Just curious.....

Personally, I stopped helping others when another member more or less told me I was giving out bad information. I didn't see how this was possible when I was only giving out information already listed here, given to me by other forum members or something I had experienced myself. It just caused me to shut down completely even when it came to welcoming new members. I figure the best thing I can do is journal my own grows and hopefully someone new can relate to what I have been doing or at least get great information from forum members who have contributed their wisdom to my grows. Sorry if I went on a rant, just wanted you all to know the backstory on why I stopped helping and welcoming... I am surprised by the number of noms this month but I am sure that will change once people get use to the new rules...Anyhoo congrats to the noms...

"another member more or less told me I was giving out bad information"

I've seen that attitude here a few times too. Don't let a "know it all" here and there stop you from helping someone.

Wow my head is spinning from reading all the comments. I will not pass judgement on the new rules. I didn't think the old contest was a popularity contest at all. Just noticed that most of the noms seem to be real experienced growers which kind of leads to my next question. Not saying that experience doesn't matter. Does nominees have to be people with major experience? Could it possibly be a person who has maybe done a lot of improvement with their own grow? Just curious.....

Personally, I stopped helping others when another member more or less told me I was giving out bad information. I didn't see how this was possible when I was only giving out information already listed here, given to me by other forum members or something I had experienced myself. It just caused me to shut down completely even when it came to welcoming new members. I figure the best thing I can do is journal my own grows and hopefully someone new can relate to what I have been doing or at least get great information from forum members who have contributed their wisdom to my grows. Sorry if I went on a rant, just wanted you all to know the backstory on why I stopped helping and welcoming... I am surprised by the number of noms this month but I am sure that will change once people get use to the new rules...Anyhoo congrats to the noms...

Hi Queen -

I don't think major experience is necessary at all, personally. Part of the idea of the changes was to also recognize people who contribute in other ways beyond growing. Maybe it's posting a review on a new bubbler, or welcoming new members to the site - or completing a strain review(s). Perhaps it's reporting spam posts to the moderators, and not straying from the rules ourselves etc. There are a lot of ways to be a valuable member of the community, besides being an "experienced" grower, or even a grower at all. I think part of the challenge for those of us voting, is to be in a position to recognize these other efforts. To that end, I've tried to spend more time lately in areas of the site I didn't always frequent as much in the past.

As far as bad information, I wish I could go back and change a few things I advised others to do in the past, lol. We all have moments where we think we have it figured out, and later realize that we were wrong, or not completely correct. Sometimes, the people who say it's "bad information" are the ones giving "bad information". I find that if I stay within myself, only addressing things I'm confident in, I can defend it with confidence too. It's a shame that someone made you feel badly enough that you "shut down". I've felt the feeling you have before, but I find myself able to get in the groove again by tackling the things that I have the greatest confidence in, and working from there as my confidence rebuilds. It helps having a thick skin. Mine's... medium thick at best, if I'm being honest. ;)

It'd be nice to have more nominees, but this is a pretty big change. I'm sure there'll be more in the future, but in fairness, there's been a number of months with only a handful of nominees the other way too. To me, quality should trump quantity anyway, in terms of this contest. Change rarely comes without a hiccup or two along the way, so I think we'll all benefit from practicing a bit of patience as things get dialed in better.

Just my 2 cents! :)

Wouldnt grower of the month be like plant of the month??? :scratchinghead:

Congrats Vick :cheer:

Well put X :thumb:

Seems like it could lead into that, but from what i have gathered from the other two contests, is that you enter your plant or cured ready to smoke bud, a little different than this. Just glad to be here and again rally feel honored just to be nominated with three very well qulified growers, and to a degree brothers in our field. Or just a really good hobby, lol.

And X, dead on the money with that one my friend, Again have been on many a forum and something always pops up that not all are in agreement with, and again that is why I am glad to live whee I live. I am here to learn, meet some new friends and here to grow as a grower, this is the first time since almost 17 years that I have gotten back into growing, some feathers may get ruffled or put out of place from time to time, so that is why I keep mine numbered, lol. Great site great people and look forward to possible future contest, just for fun you know, Peace all and happy growing, OG.

Wow...I just found out I had been nominated!

:thanks: so much to the staff for the nomination, and :thanks: so much to those who voted for me! And thanks for all the kind words from everyone along the way...I'm constantly reminded of just how great 420 Magazine and it's members really are!

I haven't been around as much as I would like, and hardly feel like I deserve the honor...but it means a lot. :circle-of-love:

Kudos to the staff for mixing things up...I think it will only get better moving forward! :thumb:

JJ, Vick, OG...:goodluck: I know whoever I vote for, you ALL deserve it!

wow i get sick for a couple weeks and all sorts of stuff happens!! this is all very interesting it will be fun to see how it all plays put, im sporadic in my time here in where i spend my time sometimes im visiting journals,or welcoming newbs,working on a diy , but one thing is a fact im always here i never close the tabs, better or worse im HERE!! i love this place like no other in all my time on the web since 96 420mag is my cyberhome , gratz to the noms the new system may be just what the motm needed to get me interested again well i mean really into it again, it was getting kind of predictable in that you could kinda figure out who would win and by that who would get nommed next, i think every winner deserved their title i would think long and hard on who i wanted to nominate , it was not based on who i liked the most but who i thought was busting their butt to help and or working hard on cool stuff, and i dont think popularity is the same here as it is in say the media, here you gotta be doing something right to be popular ! but i totally get what the staff is trying to do and it makes sense, guess now its up to all of us to work it out ! now lets "rock the vote!!" lol im such a dork

Back
Top Bottom