420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By BoBrown14

Cool beans an out door grow with amended soil :thumb:

We can not get half of that sizzle in the United Kingdom.

Last year I did in the ground and in container. The container WAY outdid the in the ground plants. We hadda drought tho and it wasn't easy watering. My patch was in the brush so had to tractor the water to the patch.

Difference was 12 footers vs 14 footers. lol It was a lot of trimming.

Last year I did in the ground and in container. The container WAY outdid the in the ground plants.
I just planted two of the GSC seeds in the ground today. I'm really interested to see how they grow differently/ faster (if at all) with not having to deal with the uppot stress. I ran out of light and energy but I meant to get a couple more seeds planted in containers. I'd like to see the growth difference. What size containers did you use by the way?

Last week I mixed up new batch of soil. I'm getting ready for some outdoor growing that I dont have soil for and am going to use the new mix with the GSG comparative grow.

I use what's called "Coots Mix". I've been using this organic soil mix for many years with great results.

Here's the recipe:

Amendment mix:

Acadian Kelp Meal @ 1/2 - 1 Cup per cubic foot
Neem Cake and Karanja Cake 50/50 Mix @ 1/2 to 1 cup per cubic foot
Crustacean Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot
Malted Barley @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot (ground fine in a coffee grinder)

Mineral mix:

Gypsum Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Brix Blend Basalt @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Glacial Rock Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Oyster Flour @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Mix with:

Quart of EWC (can be as much as 25% of the humus portion)
EWC = earth worm casting
1/3 humus = Compost/EWC/Vermicompost
1/3 aeration = Rice hulls or Perl-lite
1/3 CSPM = Canadian Spagnum Peat Moss (look on bag for country of origin = Canada)

Bio-char @ 1 cup per cubic foot.

Amend at up pot with 1 cup of the amendment mix and 1 cup EWC then into flower.

This is the soil mix I use - "Coots Mix" as it were. I thank Clackamas Coots for this soil recipe.
This needs to be pinned somewhere.

bookmarked for me, anyway.

i like your soil mix.
i've been contemplating something similar. don't have the space for it at the moment.

fantastic start and set up.

I've been using similar Bridgelux cobs the last several years with good result. They have the lower 2800-3000K than the LM301b which I believe is more of a 3K chip.

it's budget driven. lm's come in k from 2700 up through 7000. the bridegelux are just cheaper.
the bridgelux probably has ir which lm's do not.

aside from lifespan there's nothing wrong with bridgelux. they run a bit hotter.

Power supply - can be remote or attached to the light bar frame. Plenty of extra chord for remote if heat is an issue. I'll go with attached to frame.

20210412_153810.jpg

the drivers usually don't make too much heat. it should be fine attached.

what driver is that bo ? FC's originally came spec'd with mean well. i see they've added inventronics as a possible driver as well since they released the rig. i'm curious as that is neither. i'm not impressed when builders pull a mix and match and don't inform the buyer.

i like your soil mix.
i've been contemplating something similar. don't have the space for it at the moment.

fantastic start and set up.

it's budget driven. lm's come in k from 2700 up through 7000. the bridegelux are just cheaper.
the bridgelux probably has ir which lm's do not.

aside from lifespan there's nothing wrong with bridgelux. they run a bit hotter.

the drivers usually don't make too much heat. it should be fine attached.

what driver is that bo ? FC's originally came spec'd with mean well. i see they've added inventronics as a possible driver as well since they released the rig. i'm curious as that is neither. i'm not impressed when builders pull a mix and match and don't inform the buyer.
This lamp has Bridgelux chips and a MOSO driver.

Looks like the MeanWell drivers are being used in the less wattage lamps in the FC and the FC-E series lamps.

thanks for the answer bo.
there are increasingly ethical issues with the supply chain.
it's good to be informed.

mean well is a taiwanese company. they and other semiconductor / driver companies are under severe political pressure.

Meanwell be my goto normally. Fer sure.

I did just have a mean well driver failure yesterday tho. One of my VEG lamps kicked off on me. Hadda Meanwell driver.

Here's my little GSC girls they doubled in size since I took the pic.
20210426_200645.jpg

Meanwell be my goto normally. Fer sure.

I did just have a mean well driver failure yesterday tho. One of my VEG lamps kicked off on me. Hadda Meanwell driver.

Here's my little GSC girls they doubled in size since I took the pic.
20210426_200645.jpg

driver itself could be warrantied up to 5 yrs if it's an aluminum body mean well..
7 yrs if you are the builder (accredited).

3yrs open warranty. or whatever the builder backs if you go through them.

i have rigs 5+ yrs out there still pounding away. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I fried a Meanwell driver a couple years ago. Was camping for a week in early October and had a heatwave here. Temps in the grow were 95 to 100 F. Been meaning to take it apart just to see if i blew the fuse.

there is an internal fused link that will snap before the unit heats to the point of fire hazard. they can be replaced. it's one of the reasons to use a mean well. lots of lesser drivers will simply go up in flames.

driver itself could be warrantied up to 5 yrs if it's an aluminum body mean well..
7 yrs if you are the builder (accredited).

3yrs open warranty. or whatever the builder backs if you go through them.

i have rigs 5+ yrs out there still pounding away. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Need to get my meter out and see if its an LED or the power supply. I have backups so I'm good. The one that went out was my first COB LED and I used it 18/6 for probably 6 years straight. It did a lot of work.

I ran the COBs at 100w per and 100% full power. Could be the dimmer pot too. They have the full amps running thru them all the time - they will burn out too. I've had that happen. The dimmer pots are not very heavy duty.

I ran the COBs at 100w per and 100% full power. Could be the dimmer pot too. They have the full amps running thru them all the time - they will burn out too. I've had that happen. The dimmer pots are not very heavy duty.

pots only have a tiny fraction of the power running through them. they send signal not much more.

pots only have a tiny fraction of the power running through them. they send signal not much more.
The setup I have, the meanwell driver and a separate pot not the one that is incorporated into the driver itself. This driver in non-dimmable.

I dont think there's an internal circuit on this one that does the dimming.

I could be wrong but I thought the pot is tied to the positive rail on the DC side of the PSU output??

I've burned out at least 2 over the several years I've been using these power supplies. I've switched over to the dimmable versions the last 3 or so years.

Back
Top Bottom