In like gin
Hey it's one of those guys I learned from! Rich farmer aka bedroom farmer penny and light addict were all my go to journals when I first started out here at 420.

Welcome a-board!

Subbed for sure. Was wanting to go with qb132s myself but ordered some parts to basically build a hlg 550 instead. Waiting for them now. Good luck on the grow!

That sounds good! What's your grow space like? Those are killer lights you won't be disappointed. Most importantly welcome!

That sounds good! What's your grow space like? Those are killer lights you won't be disappointed. Most importantly welcome!

5x6 ish, it was an old laundry room. Right now I am running 1000 watt mh bulb running at 50% in veg, going to use the new light boards for flower. Grow journal in signature. I'll post up some pictures when I get the lights and get them assembled. Going to have 4x 312 led boards (top bin samsung s6 diodes just like the qb's) on 2 heat sinks with 2 drivers.

5x6 ish, it was an old laundry room. Right now I am running 1000 watt mh bulb running at 50% in veg, going to use the new light boards for flower. Grow journal in signature. I'll post up some pictures when I get the lights and get them assembled. Going to have 4x 312 led boards (top bin samsung s6 diodes just like the qb's) on 2 heat sinks with 2 drivers.
If you can keep the drivers out of your room that will really drop the temps

If you can keep the drivers out of your room that will really drop the temps
It's winter here! I am running an electric space heater in the room now when lights are off, and with a fan going towards my HID light I have been keeping room at 75-79 during lights on. I will prob start off with the drivers mounted in the room but not on the boards, and if temps become a problem down the line I will move them out. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's winter here! I am running an electric space heater in the room now when lights are off, and with a fan going towards my HID light I have been keeping room at 75-79 during lights on. I will prob start off with the drivers mounted in the room but not on the boards, and if temps become a problem down the line I will move them out. Thanks for the suggestion.
If you need heat mount the drivers on the back wall about 1/3 of the way up and put a fan blowing down over them. This will drive the heat to the bottom of the room and will give you air circulation thru your plants.

If you need heat mount the drivers on the back wall about 1/3 of the way up and put a fan blowing down over them. This will drive the heat to the bottom of the room and will give you air circulation thru your plants.
That is almost what I am doing with my HID now so I will likely do as you said and mount them on the wall and position the fan above them. Thanks for the input.

Marking my spot. :battingeyelashes:

Welcome PE!!! Not sure what space you are growing in, but it's hard to beat the price point on the qb132s. Driver costs 60 bucks and the boards cost 133. So under 200 bucks for 240 watts of some of the best and most efficient lighting on the market. Not to mention the money saved in not needing heat sinks. I will post pics and tutorials on the "build", which is splicing a couple wires and pushing a few other wires into molex connectors. So easy a dabber could do it!
I'm in a 2x4x5 tent... Using a 400w MH /HPS now but not liking the coverage. The kit I am looking at is 3 qb288's end to end which seems like a good shape for my rectangular tent. About 650 cdn delivered including everything needed. I figure I can dial it down a good bit and probably still get as good as or better than the hps which is really dying out in the foot or so each end of the tent if you know what I mean.. I usually scrog so I I'd like to get fairly equal light levels right across. What do you guys think?

I'm in a 2x4x5 tent... Using a 400w MH /HPS now but not liking the coverage. The kit I am looking at is 3 qb288's end to end which seems like a good shape for my rectangular tent. About 650 cdn delivered including everything needed. I figure I can dial it down a good bit and probably still get as good as or better than the hps which is really dying out in the foot or so each end of the tent if you know what I mean.. I usually scrog so I I'd like to get fairly equal light levels right across. What do you guys think?
Sounds great to me! If you have the dough to do it you won't get much better coverage imo....

I'm a heavy handed trainer myself. I'm trying a couple other techniques but obviously I scrogged my first grow, and I can think of a better training-light combo than a scrog with the boards. I'm of that opinion for any light and indoor grow I suppose... if I were gonna run mars units, I would opt for more smaller units the same as I did with the boards.

The scrog is really (imho) the best raining technique for photo period plants. The spectrum, penatration of the boards, and far superior diode spread is unbeatable for ever reason. So using the two together is the pinnacle of what an indoor grower can achieve.

Yes co2 and hydro can bump yields, but as far as things EVERY grower can do, the Samsung chips with a good scrog are unbeatable.

If anyone is interested I will also post the link to @Rider509 grow and custom Samsung strip build. There are many amazing sponsors here but if you take the time and energy to build your own light.... it's impossible to beat efficacy efficiency wise.

I will be running between 360 and 400 watts total for my 6 boards. And I'll be disappointed with under a gram a watt.

Let me go find riders links....

His grow under the Samsung strips. If you can build these lights at are at all electrically inclined, they are boards but without the mark up.
Rider509 - Two Thais & G13

And the thread on building the strips.

Rider's first foray into LED strip lighting - Samsung H Series GEN3

Damn mad. That's not alot of power draw. I'm now more impressed with those panels.

Yeah I mean I'm a total grow noob but if I can clear a gram per watt with less efficient blurples, ill be disappointed with anything less from these

I jumped on a mars 320, havnt hit 1g/w
Is that the COB? Well not "the" cob, but the epistar? I always get confused because they have so many models.

Let me say this. I'm NOT against blurple lights AT ALL. For the cost mars are wondeful units, especially for a new grower or anyone uninterested in building a light. In fact light builders like Photon Fantom Designs and growmau5 use red and blue to supplement the white leds. So the future may truly be in a combo.

The biggest advantage you can give yourself (imho) is spreading the diodes. So more small units can really produce. I know rooster was using 4 of the mars 300 (old original ones). In a 4 by 4 tent and pulling pound easy.

Unfortunately the blurple lights also use active cooling which will "count " towards the grams per watt. Whereas these hlg lights lose a small percentage of power in the form of heat from the driver, but overall require far less cooling.

I never in 10000000 years thought in would clear 1 g a watt. Or a pound for that matter, but proper training, good even spaced lighting and a keen eyenfor what plants are asking for can take you a long way in this game. I must also add the fact that strain makes an enormous impact on yield, and that my totals include fluffy buds, cause butane doesn't discriminate. Any trichrome is worthy in my book!

Back
Top Bottom