Colorado High - Soil - CFL - Easy Rider - 2013

Day 18 of flowering and I have some sad news to report. One of my ladies appears to be a hermie! Upon close inspection of my ladies this morning, I noticed something unusual with one of them, which happens to be the one started from seed one week later than the other three ladies. A closer look revealed them to be stamen. For some reason, they are only in the middle section of the plant. So far, the other ladies have not been affected and hopefully never will. Apparently, it suffered some form of stress that caused it to hermie or could this be due to some genetic issue within the seed? Perhaps it had a stronger reaction to the transplanting or succumbed to the high heat/low humidity during the first weeks of flowering. Temperatures have dropped to the low/mid 80's during the day and mid 60's at night. Humidity ranges from mid 60's to below 30% RH. I have removed the offending stamen and I guess I'll have to remove this plant from the grow box. Any ideas on whether or not I can harvest anything of value from it? If so, any and all suggestions are welcome. Major bummer! I sure hope this doesn't happen to the other ladies.

Here are some close-ups of the stamen I found on this one plant -

DSCN18968.JPG

DSCN18976.JPG

DSCN18988.JPG

Here are the seed-like pods I pulled off this plant -

DSCN19009.JPG

You can pick them off one at a time and succeed. Very tedious unless you are talking about a small section of the plant.

You can let them pollinate a few... but you gotta hope that you don't get too many.

This early in the cycle... I would not take a chance. Destroy is the only option, IMO.

Well, after a thorough inspection of the affected plant and the other three ladies, at this time there does not seem to be any stamens on any of the plants. Upon much reflection, as well as advice from you guys, here is my plan of attack, I will closely monitor all of my plants for any more stamens. If the hermie gets any more on the same two side shoots where the first stamens appeared, I will remove those side shoots at the main stem. If any more stamens appear anywhere else on the plant, I will remove it from the grow box and hang it to dry to see if I can get anything from it at all. I just can't see spending the next 6 weeks or so trying to remove stamens especially as the buds get fuller and more dense. It is not worth it to me to deterimentally effect the remainder of my grow trying to "save" one plant. Also, I've stopped adding Grow Big to my nutrient feed, I was planning on stopping it soon, but with this situation, I thought it best to stop it now rather than cause any more stress to the plants. I'm also trying to keep the temps closer to 80 to try and reduce that stress factor. I do not believe it is light related as this plant was in the middle of the back of the grow box. Thanks to everyone for their support.

You could remove the Hermie place it in a separate box under a light and let it do its thing then get some feminized seeds at harvest if you can't do that I'd remove it BC its gonna get seeds in all your good bud.

Unfortunately, I really have no other place to move this plant to at this point in time. Close inspection this morning yielded no additional stamens anywhere. Keeping an eye on it hoping it was due to some sort of stress from which it has recovered. However, as stated above, it will not get a second chance, it will lose those side shoots if stamens reappear there or be removed from the grow box if stamens pop-up elsewhere on the plant. I'm pretty sure I can catch it before it contaminates my ladies, glad I caught this first incident as early as I did, it really pays to carefully examine my grow everyday.

New growth on the very top of my largest lady has dark green, folded downard, clawed leaves. I'm thinking N-toxicity and regretting my decision to add Grow Big so early in flowering right ater transplanting. I adjusted the circulation fan overhead to make sure that isn't causing any problems, but I think that I over did it on the N this time around. I'm quickly learning that flowering is a much more sensitive stage in a plant's growth as compared to vegetation. Live and learn!!

I have an app on my phone that you can punch in your plants symptoms and it will tell you what's wrong with it by a percentage I selected curling leaves/ deformed new growth and it came up as a 80% chance ofphosperous diffencey but also said you should start to see yellow lowers leaves and possible red stem. The other 20% said nitrogen idk if its correct or how accurate the app is but its worth investigating. The app is called grow app and has a pic of a pot leaf.

After reading about the hermie and your following posts, I must say that you are observant, rational, and generally on top of things. Maybe someone will step up with some grand, ground breaking idea... Doubt it. Take the hermie in stride and snuff it out if you must. There is no way that your are going to let a hermie screw up your whole grow from what I can see - and that's all that matters. Forever vigilant!

I have an app on my phone that you can punch in your plants symptoms and it will tell you what's wrong with it by a percentage I selected curling leaves/ deformed new growth and it came up as a 80% chance ofphosperous diffencey but also said you should start to see yellow lowers leaves and possible red stem. The other 20% said nitrogen idk if its correct or how accurate the app is but its worth investigating. The app is called grow app and has a pic of a pot leaf.

Hmmm, the new growth is not deformed per se just very claw like and folded under itself. There are no yellow leaves at all at this point in time and there were only a few after the transplant two weeks ago. This strain seems to have purple topped stems (with the underside green) since all of the plants have some branches like that but only this one has these particular symptoms. I just fed them with Big Bloom (0.01-0.3-0.7) and Tiger Bloom (2-8-4) yesterday morning but I noticed the clawing this morning, not yesterday. I think I will wait and see how this plant responds over the next few days. Thanks for the information kushmasta!

After reading about the hermie and your following posts, I must say that you are observant, rational, and generally on top of things. Maybe someone will step up with some grand, ground breaking idea... Doubt it. Take the hermie in stride and snuff it out if you must. There is no way that your are going to let a hermie screw up your whole grow from what I can see - and that's all that matters. Forever vigilant!

Thanks PeeJay, I surely can use the support as I found approximately the same number of stamens, in about the same general area as on the first plant, on opposing side shoots midway up another plant and nowhere else. I removed them as I did on the first plant and so far the other two plants are stamen free. The fact that this is occuring in the same general area of two plants, and nowhere else, leads me to believe that this might be a localized phenomenon related to heat/light stress. Other than the fan leaves, these side shoots extend away from the plant right into the middle of the "Y" of the side lights in each corner of the grow box. Since I rotate the plants a quarter turn every day, both side shoots are exposed to this zone of intense heat and light. To that end I have decided to lower the heat and light by removing the "Y" adapter, replacing the reflector and installing only one CFL bulb in each corner of the grow box. I'm now running with 25,200 lumens/418 watts @ 2700K. While this will certainly slow growth, I hope that this will improve the grow environment and put an end to this madness. Time will tell.

You Are Doing Fine. Post A Picture When You Get A Chance.

Back
Top Bottom