First Grow - 400W MH/HPS - Critical Kush & Dream Queen - Scrog

Re: First Grow 400w mh/hps Critical Kush and Dream Queen Scrog

i decided to use some of my extra panda film to cover my co2 mechanism in black. i knew UV light like sunlight was a yeast killer but not HID lights, hopefully keeping them dark keeps the yeast happy so they can keep my plants happy.

i got some questions if anyone could lend some of their knowledge, it would be appreciated.

1. my critical kush have been on 24/0 lighting nonstop and are on day 45 today. i have seen no sign of preflowers.
my question is, if i start budding 12/12 without them having preflowers, does it waste some of my 50-60 budding days yield. should I be doing like 18/6 for a few days first? would it help the buds get bigger faster if they had preflowers before switching to 12/12?

2. I have had my dream queens on 12/12 from start from seed, kind of just to experiment. I realize clones are mature and u can flower them instantly but not seeds. so my question is, how long from seed 12/12 is a plant typically mature enough to start flowering. my dream queen is on day 21 and no signs of preflowers or flowers on them as well.

3. do people typically switch to budding when using a screen via scrog right away when your plants start to poke through the holes? before it gets to the screen? after i fill the screen up a bit? im sure this question is obviously the same as how long do i veg and i know theres no right answer and its preference but someone give me their opinion like what they would do. i like my width and bushiness of my plants, just dont know how much height to have really before i 12/12 if that makes sense.

4. in the pictures of my dream queens, the two plants to the right, both have mutated leaves from top to bottom. one is a runt and way to small too. since these seeds are hermaphrodite derived seeds, are these 2 plants i got weak bad genetics? somethin to do with them not being normal seeds? the other 4 dream queen seem very happy and healthy, althrough the two mutated plants are all green as well, but the leaves look scrunched up and weird.

5. do plants need "fresh air" and by that i dont mean a fan on them, i mean like drawing in outside air through your ducting vent and fan, if for example you had a CO2 tank supplying ur plants with CO2 is there any other purpose of fresh air? i ask mainly because im growing my first grow at the worst time of the year for where i live but since im supplementing a chunk of CO2, i was hoping i could bring in less fresh cold air in each day

:thanks:

day_2113.jpg
day_45_screen.jpg
day_453.jpg

I can try to answer a few of them,

1)-I personally don't use the 24-0 lighting,(plants like to sleep also)18-6,then 16-8 then 12-12,i also decrease lights on time, while in flower,minus 30 minutes for each week, final weeks in flower are spent at 9-15 on-off(search -gas lantern lighting)

2) it is possible to go 12-12 from seed

3)scrogging-u must love your plants, because you will spend way more time with them, as soon as they grow through the screen you must pull them back and over to a new hole, when your screen fills up I think you will realize that its way hard to get to the back buckets.your plants could stretch-2-3 times there size

5)yes they need fresh air, unless in a completely sealed room with c02 tanks(not bubblers like ours)
those soda bottles are doing way,way less than you think. In my own case,I leave a dehumidifier, basement window open so it "pre-heats" my cold air and sends it into flower room at 20% humidity

thanks for the info c526, although i dont think you want any less light than 12/12.

day 23 dream queen
day_256.jpg

day 47 critical kush. i was thinking just 3 more days until 12/12. can i get someone elses opinion?
my overall goal was to veg enough so the 3.5x4 room is scrog filled once flowered.
day_473.jpg

3 out of 6 of my kush grew tops through my screen. they are all about an inch through, but my other 3 kush are about an inch below my screen. i want to wait for those 3 b4 i flip
to 1212 right? i kno u can flip normal plants whenev but it seems like there would be an optimal time to do it when using the scrog method. im just eager but i dont want buds to try to grow below my screen.

thanks for the info c526, although i dont think you want any less light than 12/12.

maybe,maybe not.I don't know for sure,but it seems to work for me,the way I look at it,is the sun,is not up for 12 hrs in the fall,and gradually decreases as outdoor plants get ready for harvest,,im only trying to mimic the outdoors, its more about ensuring the 12/hr or more dark period.

wish I could help more with the,scrogg,,I just finished my last run with it and I am torn,,my yield went up dramatically, but is it ever a hassle come harvest time,good luck man,,love the little ballons:thumb:

i put a couple inch or 3/4 inch boards under my shortest kush, making it tall as the other 5 in the screen. there are probably about 50 or so tops through the screen as of today, I think its insane because yesterday I had about 5-10. I raised my hood up a inch.

I always use balloons to make wine :) So balloons just made the most sense to me. I just finished a gallon of black raspberry wine recently, picked em all myself, tastes delish, super strong too :thedoubletake: I used the same yeast for those bottles in my grow room. Montrachet.

I got little preflowers I think on my dream queen finally, as of day 30 of their veg. No pistils, but it look like mini calyx's I am seeing because they are the shape of a seed, but no way to be 100% yet. All 12 of my plants though are all 12/12 and will probably be done about the same time.

I vegged a total of 52 days on the critical kush before the 12/12 switch.

i figured id give a shot at cloning, this is with just clean water and no hormones, I have the stems cut at 45 degrees sitting in water with low lighting on 12/12 and i got the bottom part of the stem, where it should start to root, covered up. I cut the bottom of plastic cups and poked 2 holes in them, then filled other plastic cups up with water then i got my cutted bottoms floating on water with the clones inserted in the 2 holes in each cup. i came up with the idea myself. so my clones are on rafts.:;):
clone_attempt.jpg

also, these are 3 days after being placed in water, so I am feeling good they will make it. I removed 1 out of the 10, it was the smallest one, it was wilted.

dream queen day 28. anyone know whats up with these 2 morons on the right? LOL
day_287.jpg

this is the underneath of 2 of my 6 kush plants. I defoliated the shady leaves, mainly so they don't try to grow bigger and waste energy. I did this right before switching to flower because I don't want to stress them during budding, so I think i did this at the right time. Also, youll see in these 2 pictures that all I have besides my main stems splitting, is some small new branches, I used some for clones but I dont need any more, should I pull these so they don't try to develop small buds? also so that energy can move to the top with the rest of the main tops? a couple of them still might find their way to the top but I'm not sure if all of them will. In a week or so if they don't find their way out of the shade, I'm going to pull them, does this sound right or seem smart?
day_51_underneath.jpg
day_51_underneath_2.jpg

This is the last pic I have of veg of my kush, Day 51. Next pics will be budding.
day_513.jpg

this is just a closeup of one of the 6 kush, on day 51 as well, just starting to grow out of the screen. this plant seems to be my most even plant also with the most tops. also, just wanted to mention that I put my strongest healthiest most even and biggest plants towards the wall and the other smaller 3 up front so I can work on them easier. I'm thinking the back 3 will hardly need any scrog weaving and tucking. I figured this was a super smart move.
day_51_closeup.jpg

Thanks for the tip on shielding your Co2 rig. Gonna pinch that one +reps

credit to c526 on that. thanks c526

Subn up craig! Great looking first scorg :)
Take a look into lollipoping plants for scrog, it will ensure you get some fat tops.
Keep up the killer work :Namaste:

welcome and thanks. i cant wait to see how this scrog turns out. finally gonna get some action here soon :blushsmile:
whens the time to lollipop? I think i may have already kind of did that, but im not 100% sure i know what that is either. i defoliated the bottoms of my branches and just today i pulled some of the 100% pointless branches. they are just bare now below besides the top, like a lollipop.

looking like it's going to get gnarley in the best kind of way in there soon.:peace::high-five::cheer:

thanks. that would be awesome. my plan before i started was to jam pack as much bud from 6 plants as i could, so im glad u think it looks good, because I will probably stop growing for a couple months during winter before I start again, so i need lots of snacks to sit on for a few months here. :blushsmile:

day 32 dream queen. starting to preflower still. still see a pod with no pistils or second ball so still unconfirmed on the sex. these were bagseed, but from a hermie i was told, so i dont know if they will 100% be females but im hoping. tryin a different way of training on the bottom right plant. I kind of did something different to each of them, just to experiment, besides the 2 mutants, I didnt train them.
day_323.jpg

day 3 flower critical kush - i pretty much wacked the crap out of them over a couple days, leaves and absolute wasted tiny branching down low. i planned on makin this the last defoliation(besides maybe trimmin tips of leaves). I did just one major defoliation earlier in my grow pretty early to help my first branching start and have lighting. just doin the same one more time before budding, and to get all my medium length branches reaching the screen much sooner or at all.
day_552.jpg

also for now until i see any pistils, i was going to tuck my branching to fill my screen up thoroughly, then once i see pistil formation, hopefully it will be filled and i can let them grow upwards and stop tucking. does this sound like the way to go?

the clones i had sitting in clean RO water, with the bottom of the stems kept dark, and under low lumens 12/12 lighting are rooting like crazy with no hormones. too cool, im glad i experimented with this before I bought any rooting hormone because every one of these clones I have is growing roots in all directions. I'll upload a picture of one maybe next time I go to transplant one of them. I am currently trying to transplant a couple from the water to soil, I'm not sure how much roots to have in order for it to survive in soil so we will see how it goes.

I think your scrog idea sounds like a good idea. Make sure you flip to 12/12 before you fill up the screens, leave some room for the stretching to occur and fill it up nicely. With my first attempt at a scrog in progress I seem to have maybe let my girls go a little too filled up in veg and am going to be dealing with a hectic stretching bunch of tops :laugh: Keep up the diligent work craig! Sounds like you did a killer job on the clones :thumb: some reps for ya!

thanks CA215. now that i got all these tops growing through my screen, I feel like scrog was a good idea as well :)
My scrog is currently about ~80-85% filled. I'm bending and hoping to get a last few spots filled in soon. No signs of pistils yet on day 8 flower but I haven't looked too hard because I am growing in the winter and its really cold so I try not to keep the doors open long. I got great temps tho, I got my hoods RIGHT on those tops now. If its gonna be cold then I'm gonna take advantage of that I suppose and put these bulbs/hoods right on them.

thanks everyone for the reps, I got my 2nd rep bar! :love::slide::cool: OH YEAH!

here is a rooted clone picture. I transplanted this one, so far all my transplanted clones have been doin well. I used peat moss because it is so fine powdery and absorbs moisture and holds it like a sponge. I covered my roots transplanting with peat so it makes sure those small roots stay wet at all times for right now until they grow and stretch a bit.

SNC00443.jpg

ignore the top of that picture... lol

day 37 dream queen. ive been keeping an eye on the preflowers with 10x lightscope and im 99% sure my first one is a female. which is the biggest of the dream queen, the front left one below. Once pistils form a little better I will show a 10x magnified picture of them.
day_372.jpg

day 60 critical kush / day 8 of flowering. I've noticed since I've fed them twice with flower nutrients, they all have more of a yellowish tint to them, this is normal right?
day_60_day_8_flower.jpg

Back
Top Bottom