Fluffy's World Of Pure Imagination Part 1 - First Ever Grow - Wardrobe -HPS/MH - Soil

Re: Fluffy's World Of Pure Imagination Part 1 - First Ever Grow - Wardrobe -HPS/MH -

Ooooooooh!!! Looky! :cheer:

GEDC1134.JPG

And the Northern Lights Blue is winning at the moment! Hello Ruby!

No sign of anything peeking on the others yet.

Right, now...what do I do? When do I put the light on for them? I wasn't sure if it was as soon as a wee bit like this pokes out or whether I need to wait for the shoot?

Re: Fluffy's World Of Pure Imagination Part 1 - First Ever Grow - Wardrobe -HPS/MH -

Congrats!! You're a mummy!! Lol good job so far Fluffy, I just found your journal hope you do not mind my presence. Looking forward to seeing what comes for you. Best of luck!

:peace:

PS I start mine right away, if I remember correctly you have a 250w halide. You will want to keep it high at first around 20 inches. I used flourescents for my seedlings which I turned on as soon as leaves unfurled. :thumb:

Tremendous news! I agree with shizznizzle re. lighting straight away and I always put a home made plastic hood (bottom of 4pt milk bottle) over each cube at least until it has its first true leaves.

And you're off!:high-five:

Sweet! Congrats!! Let's get a rocking! :)

Howdy Smokem :thanks:

I've been looking at lot at LST and Topping/Fimming, there's some great threads here on it (for any other fellow noobs out there I will put a link to them at the bottom).

But I hadn't even thought about the shape of the cupboard, thank you! I am now going to go and Google christmas tree and cannabis plants as I am totally lost on what that means :cheesygrinsmiley: Sounds interesting though and a very good point indeed. You're a star.

EDIT - Ah, I see where Christmas Tree comes from! I'd never heard that before or really thought about it hence appearing dim. I agree with you...if I can use the techniques for pruning and training I can get a couple of nice tall dense girls in there. Interesting what you say about Cindy though...so we will see how these girls grow and I can then see whether it would be best to have one or two yield wise. Thank you!

There are of course many other subject specific threads just as good, just these two seemed to work for me...

Topping
LST How to do

Cheers FLUFF:)
Lol.. You dont have to google Xmas tree!! It s just the way i and some others, describe the normal growth and shape of marijuana plants grown naturally.. Most strains take this shape, but a few also get a rounded shape to them, with foxtail buds protruding out - LIKE MY CINDY:) Sorry if i confused ya mate! Should have just said - grown as generally found in nature, like a pine xmas tress shape..
And as for topping or such, thats entirely up to you, as you should have seen how they may form once something like this is done from the threads you read.. Whatever path you choose, im sure you will be fine:thumb: There s plenty of help on here. But also dont try something that may be a little much for you currently, as you dont want to do all this work and waiting to have a poor first grow..
I d rather see you grow 1 nice healthy normal plant than maybe try a FIM and it grows poorly.. Im not saying your not capable!!
I just started basically, growing them in soil and not training them and after my first few i learned a lot about how they grow, what happens at flower things like that.. It s handy to do this first hand so you know yourself from experience if your plant is not doing as well as it possibly could. Wishing you all the best, and if there s any thing you wanna ask- feel free..
Take care chicky! Chat soon, Smokem:goodjob::thanks:

Ooooooooh!!! Looky! :cheer:

GEDC1134.JPG

And the Northern Lights Blue is winning at the moment! Hello Ruby!

No sign of anything peeking on the others yet.

Right, now...what do I do? When do I put the light on for them? I wasn't sure if it was as soon as a wee bit like this pokes out or whether I need to wait for the shoot?

Hey Fluff,
Just a quick response to your Q on do you put light on them, yeah they need a light source so as to provide some warmth and they respond to the light above by growing in the direction of where its strongest point is. It wont be long before the seed pod pops up from the soil and then it will split apart as the 2 round leaves start to grow and open out. The light can be cfl's at this stage, 2 or so should be enough to sprout them and keep them happy for a bit. Also saves using ur bigger light for a few weeks too! But you can use your HID, but i wouldnt have it running 24/0, as its not necessary - 18/6 will be fine, and keep that a few feet away from your seedlings as you dont want it burning them or get that too hot and dry them out quickly..
Well thats about all i can think of atm, so hope this helps some?
Take care buddy and congrats!! The others wont be far away chick:) Later,
Smokemup:goodjob:

Thank you to everyone who has responded! I really appreciate your input and support. I am actually really anxious about this grow so it goes a long way to alleviating that. You're all awesome :thanks:

I will get the light on them asap and make sure it is far enough away. Sadly I have to use the Metal Halide at this stage because I don't have any CFLs. When I get a job I'll have a look at getting a few for the sprouting stage for future grows.

And I will definitely bear in mind what you said about the training Smokem, makes a lot of sense.

Lets hope this works :yummy:

A 250w MH placed at 30cm / 12 inchs above plant should be more than safe for a young seedling.

Once developed to a couple on inches of growth you may get away with 15cm to 20 cm / 6 to 8 inchs away from plant with out creating heat stress of leafs.

Heat stress may cause outer edges of leaf blades to curl upwards towards the light.

All the best in your epic adventures - fuzzy :green_heart:

:helpsmilie: Hmm. Got a bit of a problem with temperatures. Definitely too high (up to 32 degrees C) and I am measuring at plant level not high up.

* I've got the extractor fan going, along with two passive vents and a big fan going (only on level 1 as it's a big beast and wasn't sure if a higher level would be too strong in terms of strength of air movement?).

* Had the lights on overnight as much as possible.

* Got the light plenty high enough according to the advice above but my poor girls are too dry (and I also don't want to over water). I'm assuming I need to water them again now to rehydrate?

I am concerned because I have virtually no funds available at all to buy anything else, has anyone got any ideas? I want to get this sorted as quickly as I can so my girls don't suffer too much :yikes:

I've looked around as much as I can but am a bit stuck, especially given the £ situation... I could probably manage about another £20 at most. I might be able to get another fan with that, but wanted to make sure I'm getting the best value for money.

I'm sure I read somewhere about putting bottles of iced water in there, but for the life of me I can't find it again. Anyone know about this?

Your help would be soooo much appreciated! Sorry to be a panicky pain.

:thanks:

Hello Matey,
Hmmm.. Temp probs ay?? Well i just had a qik look at ur space, and as heat rises.. Can you get hold of a jig saw - or holesaw cutter??
You can buy a hole saw cutter for a drill for about $10, and just drill out some circular holes in top, and cover with a mesh so air can flow but try to minimise the size of any pests gettin thru. Thats about the cheapest fix i know mate. It will allow the hot air that rises to escape easily thru thr top. I have a top section i open its about 1ftx.5ft, and i open the door ajar a bit too sometimes, you can do that also!
But a drill and hole saw cutter hopefully you can get hold of, borow the drill, the h/s cutter as said is prob $10, doesnt have to be that large but about 4cm in diameter should be ok. Just put about 6, 3 rows of 2 spread apart some:)
Hope this will help you out Fluffy!!! Good luck, and even just leave the door open a bit for an hour here and there will do mate..:thumb:
All the best.. The HID lights put out some heat so just try keep the soil slightly moist, spray with spray bottle or sumfin. And the fan will be fine on higher speed, just make sure its kinda pointing upwards a little so its pushing air up!
Cya chicky.. Smokem..

First white knuckle corner! Have you got an energy saving bulb anywhere? A reading light or any bulb holder that will cast some light on the baby and a dome or hood for humidity until a bit more established, with a hood on you can turn the fan speed up.

As so young and vunerable I would consider taking out of the cupboard and using natural light.

ATB
:thumb:

Your current fan should always be running during lights on, 24/7 is a good idea tho & with a quick look at the PDF info shifts some 80 cubic meters of air per hour.

Their is a calculation to work out how much air exchange you need depending on size of grow area tho...

Even tho i do use a fan which is smaller myself for my grow area of aprox 290 cubic meters of air flow per hour which is optimal air exchange for my tent, my fan being used currently only exchanges 225 cubic meters of air per hour.

How ever we can look at some other related issues regarding temps in doors !

1. Ambient house hold temps effect base temperature value of grow area.

E.g In summer my average house temps are 20c/21c which may rise a little due to warm sunny days etc, to help keep things cooler windows are left open to promote greater air flow or left slightly a jar on security latch... The extra air flow through house helps keeps temps down a little.

This also means that in winter when central heating is used also effects grow area temps.

I also keep my grow tent next to the window which is left slightly a jar with the passive vent at base sucking in fresh air constantly as i run my fan 24/7 (summer months only tho/window closed in winter due to colder temps) with the extraction fan & ducting required to pump warm air out of the room into the hall way of upstairs for it to disperse... with out the warm air effecting growing room area adversely temperature wise.

Grow cubes/root riot will need to be kept moist & is best to checked twice a day when lights come on and before going off, if concerned a third check half way through lights on can be made to ease & add peace of mind.

The temps are tad on the high side tho but should not really effect the grow in seedling/veg stage a great deal... just keep a tab on moisture of grow cubes & watering of pots once transplanted at a later date.

Raising humidity levels can help cubes/soil from drying out to quickly tho & often used in green house by damping down of path ways on warm/hot days which is in turn evapourated raising humidity of the green house... a large bowl of water can be added to grow room to make similar effect.

P.s i've just finshed today transplanting some 14000 winter bedding plants from plugs into pots which could be considored early veg... i periodically check 3 times a day to make sure they don't dry out 'n' wilt on me, spot watering as & when required to maintain optimal moisture level with out over watering !

Hey Fluffy!!

I was a lil' worried that the fan might not be strong enough to pull the amount of heat you'd get off an hid lamp in there. When I was looking at the specs from your other thread, I think I recall seelng it moved 14cfm. If you or a pal has an old pc tower that isn't being used, I'd go in and repurpose all the fans in there. The ones I'm using are all from an old MacG5 tower that had become obsloete in my house. The smallest one move 65cfm. I think if you can create a way to pull all your heat off the lamp before it reaches the babes, you might be ok. Which I believe is where smokem is coming from. I didn't speak up before about what I perceived of the bathroom fan because no one else did, and am far more noobish than the other participants. Sorry. :(

There are lots of threads on how to turn your hood into an air cooled type on the cheap! I think that might solve it. It's the same reason I redesigned my box the way I did. I was getting up @ 110F (43.3c) in mine using CFL's!

I might follow aj's advice in the meantime. Don't want to chance w/ seedlings. :)

Good luck!

I'm pulling for ya!!

How much room do you have around your cabinet? I just looked at the photo and it seemed to be almost flush against at least one wall. Can't tell how much you have above the ceiling. That could be impacting your issue if there isn't a lot of room around the box for the air to go. Just a thought. :)

hi fluffy..i see you have problem with temps.i have same problem i was advised by smokesome to do the ice bottles behind a fan so cold air is blowing around grow space.my temps get over 34 i still struggle as the ice melts to fast before the girls get any benefit.for your temps it should work alot better as your heat is caused with lights only my temps are high in both my grow space and anytime i stick my head outside :riskybusiness:.also try leaving door open and put a larger fan(if you have 1) outside door and change the air flow adding cooler air..hopefully makes some sense just had :bigtoke: good luck m8 if i can help with anything else just ask..:oops: just remembered also the ice bottle technic was on graces garden journal :peacetwo::peace:

I just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone...I will reply in more detail to everyone tomorrow. I've thrown a real wobbly because this is really important to me, I get so confused with Maths and I'm really stuck for cash. I thought I'd worked everything out correctly but quite obviously haven't. Feel like a complete idiot!

Trying to work it out now is just getting me more upset and stressed, and I want to do justice to your support.

My apologies and thanks and I will try and sit down calmly and think about it tomorrow.

Sorry guys, and thank you again xxx

You are NOT an idiot. You'll get it worked out soon enough. It's all a learning process and we all make mistakes ( though I'm not entirely sure you've really made one yet. )

Take care of yourself. We'll be here if you need. :)

I just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone...I will reply in more detail to everyone tomorrow. I've thrown a real wobbly because this is really important to me, I get so confused with Maths and I'm really stuck for cash. I thought I'd worked everything out correctly but quite obviously haven't. Feel like a complete idiot!

Trying to work it out now is just getting me more upset and stressed, and I want to do justice to your support.

My apologies and thanks and I will try and sit down calmly and think about it tomorrow.

Your not an idiot!! I am having the same issues to a point! Have not figured a way 100% as of yet. Keeping the door open seems a good idea but your situation may not allow for that.

Fluff... Dont be dis heartened by this, its only a minor issue love.. You can fix it fairly easily, as i said if you can get hold of a drill and hole cutter just cut some holes in the top.. It will be a good thing overall IMO as it will always allow some excess heat to escape.
Your girls will have no smell to worry about yet, so maybe just leave the door ajar slightly for hour here n there..Until you can maybe do something else, like holes or a larger vent hole/intake hole. Do you have any tools you can use, or borrow?? like a drill or jigsaw? Both would be perfect, and it isnt that hard to do mate, shouldnt put much strain on ur arm mate. Just drill a hole big enuf to fit the jigsaw blade in and cut out a small section with the J/saw. Take ur girls out before tho! Or they be covered in dust like my girl was during sum DIY:)
With the fan u have in there facing in an upwards angle,on one side of ur space and on moderate speed, it SHOULD help push and suck some air in and around ur space, sure its not perfect, but ive used fans only and no extra air getting in thru my vents, and my plant grew fine, i did open the door for an hour a bit but that was all. As said not sure if your able to do that for some reason but if u can, it will be enough to drop some temp a little.. Sorry i cant give u a really bomb instant idea - hopefully youre able to work it out! Goodluck matey,
Smokem..

Back
Top Bottom