Hi my name is Sharon and I'm from a small town in Ontario Canada

My 4 out of 5 seeds have germinated and I’ve planted then but they seem to be very tall and spindly, any suggestions
They need to have the light above their heads 4 inches. And turn them as they face the lamp. So they straighten up and don't be too concerned if they lay there a week or two before getting enough strength to hold their own head up. Light isn't close enough. 😉

Welcome to 420 Magazine @Larins

What type of growing do you enjoy?
Do you have any images you would like to share?

Here's some helpful info: Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link.

This is where you place your grow journal.

Journals in Progress: Current and Ongoing

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contests to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests: Win Cool 420 Prizes

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok..

Hold the back of your hand level with the top of plant. This is a guud way to feel the heat coming off the light. Should not feel heat. I am using LED’s. If feeling heat lower the strength of the light if you can. Raising the light will keep the plant stretching to reach it. Check this throughout the plants life. Guud luck.

Hi - major reasons for seedling stretch:
Light too far away/not powerful enough
Too much red light - conversely, too much blue makes them grow like cabbages
To a lesser degree, cold or a lot of Nitrogen

I'd agree with all of the suggestions posted above, esp burying the stem up to the cotyledons when you transplant, roots will grow from the stem you bury, just be careful not to overwater

My 4 out of 5 seeds have germinated and I’ve planted then but they seem to be very tall and spindly, any suggestions

hiya :welcome:

what have you got going on for light ? is it possible we can get a pic of your seedlings and where they are growing ?
in the meantime you can bury the stems for support.

Hey Sharon, pleased to meet you. Welcome to 420 Magazine!

What you can do is bend a pipe cleaner around a couple of bbq skewars to create a support for each lanky plant until you're ready to up pot. The others have explained that the plant is not getting enough light and how you can bury the stem deeper when you up pot.

Let's see some pics :)

Northern Ontario here. :ciao:
Welcome to 420Magazine neighbor :welcome:
More light energy will slow the spindly tall plants down.
Any pics?
Talk soon my friend.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Hi - major reasons for seedling stretch:
Light too far away/not powerful enough
Too much red light - conversely, too much blue makes them grow like cabbages
To a lesser degree, cold or a lot of Nitrogen

I'd agree with all of the suggestions posted above, esp burying the stem up to the cotyledons when you transplant, roots will grow from the stem you bury, just be careful not to overwater
Do red lights make the plants flower better ? Some lights seem to have more of one color than the other. Does this make for different outcomes?

Do red lights make the plants flower better ? Some lights seem to have more of one color than the other. Does this make for different outcomes?
Yes, plants utilize more blue light to veg and more red light in flower, hence the 'burple' red/blue lamps
It's generally considered that the newer enhanced daylight white LED's produce better plants start-to-finish, but that is debatable
So yes, the lamp you use has a major effect on how your plants will grow and yield

Ok not addressed to me personally but I use a blurple dual switch led. So in my personal experience yes the red light does actually help the flowering process by boosting photosynthesis and helping ramp up the biomass growth.

Ok not addressed to me personally but I use a blurple dual switch led. So in my personal experience yes the red light does actually help the flowering process by boosting photosynthesis and helping ramp up the biomass growth.
Hi HH - I also have 2x 120w switchable burple lamps and grown some decent plants with them
Certainly more efficient than white light

Hi HH - I also have 2x 120w switchable burple lamps and grown some decent plants with them
Certainly more efficient than white light
Hey Roy 👋🏼, yea I can kinda agree that I like the colored lights better... But due to me giving them each style light every other day I really can't weigh in on if it's better or not 😂.

But yes you grow some beautiful plants

Back
Top Bottom