Josh 4.75

So, I grow in Hempy Pots. I typically grow in 2 Liter soda bottles. I use the smaller containers because that is the perfect root mass/media ratio to put a heavily rooted clone straight from the machine into a 12/12 photo period. I also don't have the real estate in my veg tent to vegitate plants. At the moment, once they are rooted, they have to go into flowering. Research points out much larger yields per plant using a 2-3 gallon container and a month of veg time. Still waiting to move before I can go that route.

Now a Hempy Pot can be made from any number of things. What makes them different from a conventional container is the drain holes aren't on the bottom. What this does is create an internal reservoir. This, couple with the proper grow media creates a passive hydroponic system.

Here's some pictures to illustrate the concept.

Soda Bottle:

bud_0181.jpg

The first step is to cut the top off where the neck straightens out.

bud_0191.jpg

Then you need some holes. A person can heat up a 16d nail to make the holes. I use a 1/8" drill bit as I don't want to breath melted plastic.

bud_0201.jpg
bud_0211.jpg

Then a person wants to black out below the label to prevent the growth of algae. Two medium coats or three light coats seem to work the best.

bud_0221.jpg
bud_0231.jpg
bud_0241.jpg
bud_0251.jpg

Then all a person needs is the proper media. I use 75% perlite and 25% vermiculite. 100% perlite works but you have to water more frequently. People get great results using coco coir but the bottom of the container needs to be filled with perlite or clay pebbles as to not drown the roots.

The beauty of all this is there are no pumps or anything mechanical to fail. You just top feed when needed just like watering a house plant. You can't really over water. I typically run full strength nutes from the get go. Feed-feed-PH'd water ect. A person also wants to water until you have around 30% over flow. This ensures that the reservoir is properly PH'd and helps build up of salts. Another good thing about Hempys is that they are a breeze to flush if need be.

The only down side is the drainage and the hand watering. A couple trays and some ingenuity can remedy those.

Here's some pics of some root balls. I just tossed them into a garbage bag for now so they are a little busted up. They will go into the compost pile as soon as the snow melts. Also, that's not Pythium. It is four species of Endomychorrizal and two species of Trichaderma. (Those are good things.)

bud_0261.jpg
bud_0271.jpg
bud_029.jpg

:Namaste:

Sweet man thanks for showing you method looks cool! :thumb:

This is my method. But I did not invent it. I copied it from someone else whom also copied it.

It works and works well. That's enough for me.

So, I'm thinking of changing my grow technique up a bit. It's kind of a pain maintaining mother plants in Hempys. I think that I'll transplant those mothers into 3.5 gallon containers and flower them out. I'll use the clones to establish new mother plants which will be in potting soil cut with perlite.

I tried finding some of those portable SCROG screens like Mr. Bubbles but had no luck. I have a section of "hog wire". The spacing in the mesh is something 1"x 3" something like that. I can't get into the shop at the moment to verify because of the snow. I'll cut that into appropriate sizes and weld some stainless steel rods onto it. That way I'll be able to dill holes in the tops of the containers, thread the rods through, then hasten the rods to the side of the container with duct tape.

Should work very well. I haven't SCROGed before so there will be a little bit of a learning curve. Space in the veg tent will be at a premium. I'll try and stick some of those in there as best as I can. I'm going to get away from running so many plants at once. It just difficult to maintain at times. I tried using the larger containers last summer. I should have veged those clones longer. This time around I know the root systems of the mothers' are quite a bit larger. Hopefully that will translate into a better yield than previous.

Miss Piggy, my former Holy Grail Kush mother plant in a 5 gallon Hempy, is exploding. I'm worried that I should have trimmed her down more prior to initiating flowering. I have my exhaust fan cranked to the max. I'm keeping the light as close to her as possible. Still, I have another 2.5 weeks or so of stretch and only about 8" or so higher that I can raise the light. I'm going to run out of room. I have around 12 more plants finishing up. Once they are out I'm going to have to start Super Cropping of LST-ing. I'd do it now but she already takes up more than half of my flowering tent.

I'm still waiting on a W-2 form. I am not happy about that. I usually have my tax return by this point. I want to upgrade my set up!!!
Just a heads up-we're going on our honeymoon next weekend and I won't have computer access.

Good thing I'm a diligent grower. My timer crapped out. I caught it. Unfortunately I'll have to wake up three hours earlier than normal to manually turn the lights off. I'm praying that I can find a timer tomorrow from a brick and mortar.

Here's some pics from the flowering tent.

plants_0112.jpg
plants_0122.jpg

The next are of Miss Piggy. She's getting a lot larger a lot faster than I had expected. Less than a week in and she's throwing white hairs.

plants_0135.jpg
plants_0143.jpg
plants_0152.jpg
plants_0166.jpg

I was able to find a timer today. That was a relief.

I also spoke to a person that I know. I told him what strains I'm working with currently and mentioned B.C. God Bud. He said that he ran it in his gardens for three cycles and decided to kill the strain. That makes me feel a bit dishearten. I'm hoping I'll like it more or maybe will have a better pheno. From my research I've "heard" that is a very hard strain to clone.

I hate killing strains. But I'm picky. Some stuff that that other likes doesn't even give me a buzz. Only time will tell.

I went into H.D. today looking for some perlite. No grow media but did see of those scrog screens that Mr. Bubbles is using. I had all they had on the rack in my hand but put them back. My reasoning is that they are round. To best utilize my 4'x4' flower tent. I'm just going to fabricate my own and make the 16" sq. That will give my the capacity up to 9 plants. I think that would make good use of my 3.5 gallon Hempy Pots which I'm going to switch back to.

The only down side is veg space. I think I have the room-bare minimum to pull off maybe two plants a month going into flowering rotation. I'm going to have to play around with SCROG in general along with individual strains before I'll know my limitations and specific goals. Good news is that we are looking for homes to buy. We have two "perfect houses". Picked out. Hopefully by this time next year, actually sooner, we'll be out of this dump.

:Namaste::peace::420:

I just want to thank everyone that helped me either when I was just starting out or refining the indoor technique.

From this forum I tried to exemplify a cross between 420fied and SteveHman's grow methods.

I did not expect to meet so many people that I truly consider to be friends.

It's my time to leave. Keep them green!!!

:love::circle-of-love::cheer::Namaste::bravo:

I just want to thank everyone that helped me either when I was just starting out or refining the indoor technique.

From this forum I tried to exemplify a cross between 420fied and SteveHman's grow methods.

I did not expect to meet so many people that I truly consider to be friends.

It's my time to leave. Keep them green!!!

:love::circle-of-love::cheer::Namaste::bravo:

Leave?

Back
Top Bottom