MSquared's - Indoor - Soil - Multi Strain - 1800w - Perpetual

You might want to consider saving some of those males for pollen down the road if you have a closet or some other closed off area that you can flower them separately and then bag em for later use on some of your females.

Good seeds aren't cheap, so it pays to plan for the future with your own seeds! :thumb:

Great job soo far Msquared.
Thanks for stopping by my journal with a few tips. always appreciated my friend!!!

what exactly is in the high brix soil? did you mix it up yourself?

keep em green M I know you will!

Not a problem at all my friend! I will answer the first part in just a min. The second is this, I did mix my own based on what I could get locally and what I had to order from the internet. My soil list is on page 8 or 9 on this journal and I have not strayed from it yet. I can only say great things about it! It even saved some sick plants I had in my old soil recipe (which all 5 I have in flower now). Now this is a quote straight out of page 1 of Vape's journal which will mostly answer your first question:

Quote from Vape's Journal Page1 {Okay... I'm back. So I just started to talk about high brix... DocBud, one of the many great growers here at 420 Magazine, is the one who got me interested in high brix gardening. He’s been using the techniques on his current grow, and so far his plants look amazing!

I was gearing up to make the switch to organics…trying to learn everything I could about the soil food web, compost teas, etc. when DocBud started talking about high brix techniques in his last journal. I kept insisting I was going to start with organics, and look into high brix later, once I got organics down. But then, as I was reading everything I could find on the subject I came to understand that high brix gardening is just organics, taken to the next level.

Brix is just a unit of measure. One degree Brix is 1 gram of sucrose in 100 grams of solution. Traditionally brix was used in wine, sugar, fruit juice, etc. industries. At some point, it started getting used in the food industry for measuring the approximate amount of sugars in fruits and vegetables as well. Brix is measured with a refractometer. Once you know what brix your veggies are, there are charts you use to see how well you did.
The way you get a higher brix (in soil anyway) is by almost ignoring the plant! High brix gardening is all about building a thriving micro herd of beneficial bacteria and organisms that breakdown the minerals in the soil and in turn, feed the plant. Compost teas are important here to keep the soil teeming with life! I’ll also be using the teas as a foliar spray. Basically, we feed the organisms in the soil, and they feed the plant.

Standard organics uses the same principals, but where organics can fall short is if you don’t have enough minerals in the proper ratios in the soil. One of the main principals of high brix gardening is that you must re-mineralize the soil. Most farmland is badly depleted of trace minerals that the microorganisms break down and make available to the plant. Ever noticed how most of the vegetable in the grocery store taste like crap? I'm betting that's one of the big reasons.
There are kits you can buy that contain all the proper minerals in the proper ratios, or you can piece it together yourself, which is what I'm doing. There’s just a few simple things you need:

Limestone - NOT dolomite. You'll need Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3), at least 90% - just a note here…if you’re on the East coast there are no high calcium limestone deposits in this part of the country, so start shopping online.

Soft Rock Phosphate - Be careful...NOT any of the “super phosphate” additives…they will kill everything in your soil.

Gypsum - Just plain old garden gypsum.

Azomite - there really isn’t anything quite like Azomite. Its a natural, mined product from Utah, that contains over 70 minerals and trace elements.

The limestone, soft rock phosphate and gypsum are combined in the following ratios:

6 Parts Limestone
5 Parts SRP
3 Parts Gypsum

I use 1 cubic foot bags of soil, so to get the proper amount as recommended by DocBud, I added 2/3 cup of the 6/5/3 powders, and 1/3 cup Azomite to each bag of soil.

I also needed some organic matter for the microorganisms, so I also added 1 cup of Coast of Maine’s Eggemoggin Blend, which is pasteurized hen manure (4-2-2 fertilizer) to each bag as well. Coast of Maine recommends 2 cups per bag, but I’d rather go light…it’s always easier to add later.} end quote

I could not have said it better myself, but the one thing you need to remember that Doc found out was the larger the pot the better. I wll be doing an update tomorrow on VEG and UBT so come on back if you have a few.

thanks as always for coming by! :peace: Brotha!

You might want to consider saving some of those males for pollen down the road if you have a closet or some other closed off area that you can flower them separately and then bag em for later use on some of your females.

Good seeds aren't cheap, so it pays to plan for the future with your own seeds! :thumb:

I have been debating this over and over and still have not made up my mind - LOL
You are so correct in saying they aren't cheap, but what do you think about this...
What if I have a beautiful male that I don't know what it is other than say indica dom or sativa dom or would you go with a known strain for the male? The reason I ask is I have many that I don't know what they are and the last one (IDK1) which was a beautiful male plant I culled as soon as I verified as a dude, but should have kept for his traits, but not knowing the lineage it was hard to keep him. So any insight would be great and thanks

:peace:

~ Veg, UBT update Pics/Info ~

Over the last few days since my last update, I have transd the 6 that were still in solo cups into the 1/2gal containers. Most of the more mature veg plants have exploded with growth and some more are needing to be transd (3 or 4 on the bench). The 3 clone tips are rooted and I will begin my hardening off period before transplanting them, but should be this weekend some time. This is good because I have more to UBT so this will free up the clone tray for the new ones. I don't know what the sex of them are, but I am going to go at them as if they were female. I know it is a lot of extra work, but I am prepared for it. :thumb:

Here we have the bench and some of these are needing transing because I have to water them daily now, which is no fun and I am all about the fun in the grow room :)
right side of bench, There are SSH, JHs, STs, IDKs
2012-05-17_07-06-20_423.jpg

left side of bench, there are TMs, IDKs The ones on the far right are from the solo cups.
2012-05-17_07-05-59_874.jpg

Here is the UBT update and the 8 on the floor. There are 2 or 3 here that I will be UBTing within the next day or two.
Here are the rooted clone tips and they look great!
2012-05-17_07-07-55_722.jpg

close up of TB4 clone tip
2012-05-17_07-08-08_114.jpg

These next two are of TB4 side and top view
2012-05-17_07-09-25_773.jpg

2012-05-17_07-08-59_592.jpg

right side of floor - far left TB3, top left ST1, top right VK2, bottom right TB4 our UBT test plant, bottom left IDK
2012-05-17_07-08-39_734.jpg

left side of floor - top ST3, right is IDK, bottom RB
2012-05-17_07-08-50_216.jpg

They are all doing really well and what great growth they are having after the tea feeding I gave to all the floor 8. I also gave some of the tea to about 6 on the bench. They have all since exploded with growth :thumb:

*DISCLAIMER* I have mentioned this before, but if you are using or are going to use my tea recipe that is on my journal it is safe for all stages of growth seedling through flower, but when you brew it only use 5 gal of water and then just before feeding dilute with another 5 gals of water. If you don't dilute it can be a bit strong for younger plants. *END DISCLAIMER*

I will have a flower room update tomorrow and it is quite a site to see :)

:peace: to you and yours!

Nice work MS.......soooo green! :high-five:

:thanks: so much OMM! they are all really grooving. :thumb: I always have so much to do, I rarely get a night off without having to do somehting in there. Last night was one of those rare nights where I went in with my spritz bottle in hand and squirted a few of the little seedlings and the clone tips but that was it. Smoked a dube :ganjamon: and just watched them soaking up the rays :smokin:
It sure was nice :)

well son of a bitch, apparently I need a seeing eye dog to help me find posts!
Thanks M!!
Going to PM you again on some different info.
Thanks again and if it will let me more reps to you!!

:rofl: that is funny A1, no problem and anytime. :thumb:

Truly appreciate the reps friend :high-five:

:peace: and thanks for the friend request don't know why I didn't think of that lol. :)

Smoked a dube and just watched them soaking up the rays
It sure was nice

Life is good :riskybusiness:

I've been debating about topping the 4 plants I have or just letting them grow out & trying it on the clones but you've inspired me to go ahead and try it. :thumb:

I have been debating this over and over and still have not made up my mind - LOL
You are so correct in saying they aren't cheap, but what do you think about this...
What if I have a beautiful male that I don't know what it is other than say indica dom or sativa dom or would you go with a known strain for the male? The reason I ask is I have many that I don't know what they are and the last one (IDK1) which was a beautiful male plant I culled as soon as I verified as a dude, but should have kept for his traits, but not knowing the lineage it was hard to keep him. So any insight would be great and thanks

It really helps to know the strain you are dealing with. Only reason I kept that White Rhino male around last season was that his sister, grown from the same packet of White Rhino seeds was producing PURPLE Flower Buds! I'm sure you remember the photos back then? Anyway... I wanted to see if that trait would be passed by the male version, so I let my Purple Urkles get pollenated by that plant and now I am raising up some of those seeds this season as you know.

I would mainly suggest saving a male or two if you know the strain and what its natural traits are. Seeds purchased via retail like my Harlequin and Blue Cheese is what I was referring to.

P.S. I still kick myself that I killed off all the BC males early last year. They were gorgeous plants too, and it was painful to cut them down! If I had thought ahead, I could have pollenated a clone of my single female and had my own supply of M.O.N BC seeds! Probably 25-50 or more based on the 125+ I shook out of all that Urkle this last winter and even more just recently!

Sure as hell beats $40.00 for six of the buggers! :straightface:

Life is good :riskybusiness:

I've been debating about topping the 4 plants I have or just letting them grow out & trying it on the clones but you've inspired me to go ahead and try it. :thumb:

Yeah way to go, I have found that a big majority of plants really take to being topped. I have had nothing but success with it so far.
I just transd my UBT tops from my last round of topping it was 9 days and all 3 (vk and 2 tbs) had roots. I just did another round of UBT to another 3 and so far so good. :high-five:

The girls are looking good bro! +Reps! :high-five:

:Namaste:

Thank you so much Vape! I really appreciate it and wouldn't be here without your kind assistance. Hey by chance have you seen this product? It is expensive but I couldn't resist picking up a bag to try some.

2012-05-20_16-42-46_901.jpg

2012-05-20_16-43-05_383.jpg

Thanks again and :peace:

Thank you so much Vape! I really appreciate it and wouldn't be here without your kind assistance. Hey by chance have you seen this product? It is expensive but I couldn't resist picking up a bag to try some.

2012-05-20_16-42-46_901.jpg

2012-05-20_16-43-05_383.jpg

Thanks again and :peace:

Thanks bro! I'm just glad I could help!

I think that must be a new product of there's...it's my first time seeing it, and there's no mention of it on their website! I thought it might have been Bumper Crop under their own brand, but looking at the label it's definitely not! I'm liking it though...the ingredients look like a veritable microbe smorgasbord! :thumb:

Never heard of or seen that particular product before. I would think that anything with Lobster in it would be spendy. How much was it?

I swear by my "Grow More" brand Seaweed Extract as a pure organic method of delivering water soluble Nitrogen and other trace minerals to my plants in a very gentle manner.

When I transplant anything green up here, I always include a TBSP of this stuff per gallon to the solution. Most commonly for me, I add it to my B1 transplant solution for new clones and freshly planted seeds. It adds some nutes to a new pot of untreated soil, but is gentle enough not to harm the roots of new plants whether they be recently rooted cuttings of freshly planted seeds.

Water soluble Nitrogen is in my opinion the best way to deliver that important nutrient to your plants! ;)

Looking forward to seeing how that stuff works for you.! :thumb:

Never heard of or seen that particular product before. I would think that anything with Lobster in it would be spendy. How much was it?

I swear by my "Grow More" brand Seaweed Extract as a pure organic method of delivering water soluble Nitrogen and other trace minerals to my plants in a very gentle manner.

When I transplant anything green up here, I always include a TBSP of this stuff per gallon to the solution. Most commonly for me, I add it to my B1 transplant solution for new clones and freshly planted seeds. It adds some nutes to a new pot of untreated soil, but is gentle enough not to harm the roots of new plants whether they be recently rooted cuttings of freshly planted seeds.

Water soluble Nitrogen is in my opinion the best way to deliver that important nutrient to your plants! ;)

Looking forward to seeing how that stuff works for you.! :thumb:

:thumb: Thanks Goose. I use the lobster compost they have and it is $9 per cuft. The fert that I found above is $16 for that 4lb bag so yeah its spendy, but I won't have to use that much of it per use. :)

Yeah me too, I am just not sure how I am going to incorporate it into my mix and or teas yet.

:thumb: Thanks Goose. I use the lobster compost they have and it is $9 per cuft. The fert that I found above is $16 for that 4lb bag so yeah its spendy, but I won't have to use that much of it per use. :)

Yeah me too, I am just not sure how I am going to incorporate it into my mix and or teas yet.

If it were me, I would incorporate the Lobster and Kelp Plant Food and compost into my soil, and just use Natures Own for the tea...It's specially formulated and the resulting tea has been scientifically analyzed to prove that it delivers a broad spectrum of beneficial bacteria and fungi. I've tried enough different tea recipes to firmly believe you'll spend more on the individual ingredients and not get the performance you will with their Soil Life & Activator.

At first I thought the Lobster and Kelp Plant Food was a premium alternative to the Eggemoggin Blend, but it's interesting that they say to combine the plant food with the compost and then use that. Makes sense, because it's really going to supercharge the soil life in the compost...I think I'd end up with some of both in my mix at the end.

If it were me, I would incorporate the Lobster and Kelp Plant Food and compost into my soil, and just use Natures Own for the tea...It's specially formulated and the resulting tea has been scientifically analyzed to prove that it delivers a broad spectrum of beneficial bacteria and fungi. I've tried enough different tea recipes to firmly believe you'll spend more on the individual ingredients and not get the performance you will with their Soil Life & Activator.

At first I thought the Lobster and Kelp Plant Food was a premium alternative to the Eggemoggin Blend, but it's interesting that they say to combine the plant food with the compost and then use that. Makes sense, because it's really going to supercharge the soil life in the compost...I think I'd end up with some of both in my mix at the end.

I think you are right and that is what I am going to use it for. I will go lighter than they say as I still want to add in some other items in to my soil comp as well. I like to add EWC, humus, the minerals and azomite and all of those are much less expensive than that fert. I do think it is a really good admendment and it may help stretch the soil life in the soil longer into the grow so we shall see.
Thanks as always Vape!

To all the service men and women of past and preseant, have a wonderful memorial day weekend!

I will have updates on all the ladies this weekend so stay tuned and :peace:

Yeah way to go, I have found that a big majority of plants really take to being topped. I have had nothing but success with it so far.
I just transd my UBT tops from my last round of topping it was 9 days and all 3 (vk and 2 tbs) had roots. I just did another round of UBT to another 3 and so far so good.

Have you noticed a difference in whether the plant is primarily indica or sativa??? I know lots of people top sativas to keep them smaller but my goal would be increased yield not reduced size. Curious about you opinion and experiences...

Back
Top Bottom