MSquared's - Indoor - Soil - Multi Strain - 1800w - Perpetual

Sigh....yet another journal that I feel I must subscribe to lol....I'm late, and I have to admit, I don't want to go back and read the last 14 pages to get caught up...But I'm going to, because I like your style:high-five: It may take a few days, but I'll be here for the remainder if you don't mind a tag-along.
The grow looks good my friend, and I look forward to seeing your experience with the UBT method-I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong with mine...:peace:

Hey Quix! better late than never my friend! All are welcome here :thumb: I am going to give it go tonight so tomorrow I will post my process, general thoughts and of course the pics on the procedure. Well let's hope we can find some answers together then :thigh-five:
Any general thoughts on the process that may have derailed your attempts? Was it the plants reaction or was it with the growing tip?
Thanks for stopping by!

:peace:

M, that just sucks man. I'm sorry to hear that but it's all part of growing and we have all been there. Lost 4 plants to the same thing so I feel your pain.

Hey A1! Thanks and I hear that loud and clear. You know you can usually spot them from the get go, they are always healthy and beautiful right up until the balls pop out LOL! You know your not a grower until you have culled a couple of plants male or otherwise!

Good to see you & :peace:

Hey Quix! better late than never my friend! All are welcome here :thumb: I am going to give it go tonight so tomorrow I will post my process, general thoughts and of course the pics on the procedure. Well let’s hope we can find some answers together then :thigh-five:
Any general thoughts on the process that may have derailed your attempts? Was it the plants reaction or was it with the growing tip?
Thanks for stopping by!

Hey A1! Thanks and I hear that loud and clear. You know you can usually spot them from the get go, they are always healthy and beautiful right up until the balls pop out LOL! You know your not a grower until you have culled a couple of plants male or otherwise!

Good to see you & :peace:

Hey MSquared...Thanks for the welcome.1
To be honest, I have to assume it has been operator error, a tthis point. I've given it two runs, and same results...5 strains. So, I have to take a look at myself and my M.O., and accept that I may be doing it wrong. I'm going to try one node higher on the next batch, and see if the articles written are just a little difficult for me to decypher....Seems pretty simple, though...Wait til there are 5-7 nodes, top above the 2nd TRUE node (cotyledons dont count as a node)...so on and so forth...

~ UBT Style Method with cloning the Tip ~

After reading a link for the UBT method from OMM, I decided to give a try on a few of my veg plants. I am focusing on TB4 (THC - The Bomb) for this tutorial. I also read a tutorial from GoldenGoose to then clone the tip. WoW I thought 2 birds 1 process. Now he did this on very large veg plants and I am doing it on rather small veg plants. So we shall see how this goes.

Now the UBT method usually says to have at least 5-7 nodes (TB4 has 8) and to cut around the 2nd or 3rd node. I decided to cut just above the 5th leaving the top 3 to clone. I usually FIM my plants at least once and then maybe some LST to achieve the desired outcome and I have done MANY plants this way and always within 3 days of FIMMing they explode with lateral branching and growth. So I am going to photo TB4 each day to compare the growth patterns or lack thereof. The UBT method seems rather straight forward enough so here we go.

Here is our test subject TB4 side and top view
2012-05-09_19-22-23_305.jpg

2012-05-09_19-22-42_973.jpg

Here is a close up of TB4 side view and if you count up 5 nodes that is where I made the cut.
2012-05-09_19-22-58_615.jpg

I then put the tip or top if you will into water and made a 2nd cut under water and trimmed some of the large fans off. I also split the bottom about 1/2 to 1 inch up. I usually scrape the outer stem, but I wanted to try the split this time.
2012-05-09_19-27-57_65.jpg

Then the tip goes into the cloning solution for 10 mins. This was a freebie from something I ordered so I thought I would give this a try. I usually use the powder which works well enough for my use.
2012-05-09_19-28-10_19.jpg

I had prepared the self-watering seedling tray with heat mat yesterday morning so the heat mat would heat the water which is absorbed into the soil tray. So by the time I did my procedure the water was a good temp and so was the soil which is moist all the way through. Our test top is in the upper right corner of this photo.
2012-05-09_19-34-00_698.jpg

So I will be taking pictures each day of TB4 to see if and when the growth starts back and how it deals with the missing top. I will also in 10 -14 days have an exact match to the donor with roots hopefully. Now I am sure I have missed something so please let me know if you have any questions. I am hoping this method works the same if not better than FIMming and I get another plant out of the deal. This would be the ideal solution for me going forward. So stay tuned for the UBT updates.

Thanks everyone and :peace: be with you and yours.

Nice going MS :thumb:

The cut looks great......nice top to plant also.

This will be fun to watch! WTG!:thumb:

:thanks: for the UBT link OMM! I think this will be really insteresting as well. If it goes as planned I will def. stick with it, if not no biggee I will just go back to the tried and true fim with a little LST to get my tops. I also read that you are getting ready for a little harvest of your own! :thumb: can't wait for the pics of that.

Thanks as always OMM! :peace:

So as I UBTd my TB4 on 5/9 I forgo to upload the after shots of her... duh
So I have 2 sets of pics, first are of 24hrs later and the second are of this morning.

2012-05-10_19-49-59_636.jpg

2012-05-10_19-50-20_256.jpg

2012-05-11_06-41-21_477.jpg

2012-05-11_06-41-06_20.jpg

I think she is doing well and this weekend will be real test to she starts to really grow again. I will have a FLR update in the next few days as they have all started to really flower out now and there are some good pics to see.
Hope all are doing well out there and keep it green

Looking fabulous MS!:bravo: I love the different techniques for topping

I really appreciate your advice and next time I will totally go for a bigger pot size.

I have learned a lot from you since joining and I really can't thank you enough...

You've been sub-consciously helping me the whole time with some of your tips on here too....really couldn't put a price tag on that:circle-of-love::Namaste:

Looking good MS!

You did and "excellent" job with the trimming and pruning process! I would say your chances are very good for success on all fronts!

Will stay tuned to see how things progress! :thumb:

Hi MS :high-five::high-five:

Nice girls...your UBTs are perfect! Yep, perfect!:thumb:

:thanks: OMM! of the 5 I did, they are all now looking better than the 3 I didn't (which I will be doing soon). I figured this was going to be a good process and I am posting the pics to show the 4 tops that come with it :thumb: I sure hope you and Jo had a wonderful mothers day!

For real man sweet lookin ladies bud. One day I dream of plants that nice.

:high-five: Thanks TokerJoker! I really appreciate it. I have never had this many plants this healthy all the way through the process as I do with high brix soil. :thumb: If there is anything you need please don't hesitate to ask!

I wouldn't have cut that beauty down any further than that either. Big bushy mamas are best.

They certainly are Propa! As I was there looking at where to cut and I know the traditional way of UBT is to go to the 2nd or 3rd node I didn't like the idea of taking that much of the plant. So I opted for the 5th and leaving 3 for a top to root. I believe this is the way to go from here on out. I am posting my VEG and UBT update in just a few. Thanks for stopping by!

Looking fabulous MS!:bravo: I love the different techniques for topping
I really appreciate your advice and next time I will totally go for a bigger pot size.
I have learned a lot from you since joining and I really can't thank you enough...
You've been sub-consciously helping me the whole time with some of your tips on here too....really couldn't put a price tag on that:circle-of-love::Namaste:

It is always my pleasure MissBud! :thanks: Wait until you see the plants in flower. They really do show what large pot sizes can do. I will be posting that update today as well as the VEG and UBT update which is coming up next! So come back soon. That is why most of us are on here I believe. If just that one person takes something from here just that one time then I have done my job. Not to mention I have learned pretty much everything I know from here in one way or another so I really do want to give back as much as I have learned. My model of growing is pretty straight forward now using high brix. build my soil, water w/ molasses/agave and tea every other time and they grow themselves wich the occasional transplant. The ladies in flower now are proof of that. 4 of the 5 are almost 48" tall in there and couldn't be healthier. I really am having fun now :)

I sure hope you had a very wonderful mothers day!

~ Veg, UBT update Pics/Info ~

Well as most of you know I UBTd five of the 8 of my larger veg girls. I think they are all doing extremely well. They started really growing out as I expected them to do, I am just very happy that they agreed :)

The clones I took of the ones in flower are doing well and starting to grow again. So at least 2 of them are going to be moms (1 from JH3 and 1 from SSH2). Now I am going to have to read up on keeping moms... I have not done this before and I don't want to mess them up. I want them on the shorter side and super bushy, so I can take 5 to 10 every 3 or so weeks. I am still looking for at least 2 other strains to keep as moms as well. So I have quite a lot of veg girls to chose from, but not knowing if they are female yet will take some time.

UBT update time: First up is the clone tips. The upper right is the TB4 test subject. The one to the left is VK2 and the lower is another TB
2012-05-14_06-33-35_2.jpg

The next 3 are of TB4
2012-05-14_06-36-04_601.jpg

close up side view
2012-05-14_06-36-12_820.jpg

top view
2012-05-14_06-36-22_468.jpg

Here are a couple of the other that were not UBTd yet, but will soon.
IDK7
2012-05-14_06-35-20_703.jpg

RB
2012-05-14_06-35-52_17.jpg

This is the left side of the 8 on the floor and I believe these are the 5 that have been UBTd. TB3 is the far left. the big bushy one is ST1 (the misses thinks this is going to be a boy, I sure hope she is wrong...) Lower middle is another ST and upper right is VK2 and lower right is our test subject Tb4.
2012-05-14_06-35-01_961.jpg

This is the left side and these 3 have not been UBTd yet, but will soon. Upper is IDK6, lower is RB and right is IDk7.
2012-05-14_06-35-12_390.jpg

These next 2 show what I have on the bench and it is getting full. There are the clones from SSH and JH on there as well as the STs, IDKs & TMs - really all of them are unknown except the clones. The STs could be old seeds of strains I know, but I probably won't until they start to flower. I am just hoping they are female so I will be able to tell. lol.

2012-05-14_06-34-42_256.jpg

2012-05-14_06-34-36_414.jpg

So that really does bring veg up to date. I am going to need to transplant soon with some of these on the bench. I will be putting the 6 in solo cups into 1/2 gals in the next couple of days. The clones I will wait for a while until they really start to grow but those minus the moms will go into 8gal pots as I know they are female and the moms will go into 4gal for long term storage.

Thanks for stopping by everyone!

~ FLR update Pics/Info ~

Alright I have several pics of flower, but they are all under HPS lighting so I apologize for that. The flour lighting for pics is still on the "to do" list. LOL.

They are all on Day 16 and doing well. Well is not the right word, they are huge and doing wonderfully. I am so impressed with this high brix soil. It really does all the work for me. I have only and I mean only fed them my tea which is listed in my journal somewhere and then water with molasses/agave every other. 4 of these plants are pushing 48" now and I have another 5 days before the stretch should be over. I may have to tie down a few to get the lights a little closer to them. enough babbling and onto the pics.

Here is JH1 who is now around 46"
This pic is from May 7th
2012-05-07_06-56-13_405.jpg

This is JH1 from this morning, big difference in only a week.
2012-05-14_06-38-55_703.jpg

This one I wanted to get a view of her top with the tape measure which is from the top of the soil.
2012-05-14_06-39-30_515.jpg

Here is JH3 and she is looking stellar.
2012-05-14_06-39-44_534.jpg

JH1 on the left, SSH2 middle and SSH1 on the right
2012-05-14_06-40-03_744.jpg

A close up of SSH2 with some buds
2012-05-14_06-40-34_946.jpg

2012-05-14_06-40-41_124.jpg

2012-05-14_06-40-47_741.jpg

JH1 on the left, SSH2 middle and SSH1 on the right
2012-05-14_06-41-03_477.jpg

JH3 on right and ssh2 left
2012-05-14_06-41-20_101.jpg

SSH2 left ssh1 middle with JH2 behind her and JH3 right
2012-05-14_06-41-26_164.jpg

So that brings everyone up to speed on the flower room. I am really going to try to get some flour lighting in there as these HPS just doesn't do them justice. I have to feed them some tea tomorrow and tonight I am going to add the stakes and start tying some of the branches down. I am actually running out of vertical space which I didn't think would happen with these. All of them but JH3 had some early on issues, but once transd into the high brix soil all the issues went away and these are the healthiest flower girls I have had.

Everything is looking great MS! You've got a regular Cannabis nursery going on over there! LOL! :thumb:

LOL I know... Never really wanted this many young plants but I figure half are going to be male. So I am going through them as if they were all females and I will just except my losses as they come. It will at least be interesting to say the least. :thumb:
:) btw - that is some really interesting info about GDP over there on your jounal :high-five:

Hey MS All looking good! Like GG7 said.....a great garden you have going. They look very healthy and strong. Once again..good topping job! :cheer::thumb:

Thanks OMM! I have learned from all of you :) :thumb: I have a few more to UBT tonight. I think 3 to be exact. I also have transd 6 last night into 1/2 gal containers. the bench is really getting full. LOL I know rough problem to have huh, but as I mentioned above I am sure half will be male :(

Thanks for always stopping by. It always nice to see you over.

Wow Ms, lookin good my friend. Hope you don't mind but I'm going to PM you on some information you MUST share lol

Thanks and not a problem. I have responded and I sure hope it helps. If not just let me know and we will get through it :)
Come by anytime A1

Back
Top Bottom