PeeJay's Perpetual Organic Homebrewed Soil - Stealth Cabinet And Greenhouse Grow

Re: Stealthy 1st time indoor/outdoor hybrid grow. Mama Mia and White Panther in soil.

True that, Rico! They love being in the sun. I lost a bit of sun for a while. We had a stretch of very wet weather, so they just stayed indoors. They grew nice under the toppled while it was grey and wet. Heck, they grow nice under that light during the veg hours they spend in the cab when they are playing in the sun for seven hours a day, too. In the sun though... I swear I can see them growing and hear them soaking up good stuff from the dirt. Plus, I ain't adding to my carbon footprint when they are outside. And I'm not emptying my wallet on electricity bills either.

I live in an area notorious for it's high altitude bright sun and clear skies. Typically the nighttime temperatures drop drastically moving forward from now. So do the daytime temps. But I have a sheltered southern exposue. A thermometer in the shade may say 50 degrees during the day in late November. In a sunny spot it will read 85...

On Monday my cheapo greenhouse arrives. It is 6x6x7. I think if I had the plants in it today it would cook them. As the daytime temps drop I hope that it will be a great boon. Throw a ceramic heater on in the am for a bit before the sun hits the greenhouse. Once the temps get up, move the girls outdoors and shut off the heater.

There will, of course, be pictures of the greenhouse when it arrives. Picked it up on the cheap; it's a demo model used at tradeshows and such. This will be great fun even if I fail miserably and still have to pay for my antianxiety sleep aids.

I don't think I could grow any "fussypussy" strains the way I'm going at it (Cheech and Chong reference.) If I can't grow a Gran Cru Pouilly Fuisse I hope I can grow some good juice that I'm proud to consume and quaff.

Re: Stealthy 1st time indoor/outdoor hybrid grow. Mama Mia and White Panther in soil.

Welcome, Sling. I read a bazillion journals before I started growing. I'm not sure where I saw the box on top of the cabinet idea. Someone had used a sturdy cardboard box and filled in the space around the fan with packing peanuts to muffle the noise. So many good ideas when you browse the journals here!

Spoke for a bit with a friend of mine today. He just harvested his guerilla grow... Anyway, what this genius did was save all his raked up leaves and junk from his yard last fall. He left them in sunny spot all winter in black plastic garbage sacs.

The golden boy took four clones from a skunk #1 in late April. They were transplant into Happy Frog and grew indoors under light until the second week in June.

In the second week of June, Holmes loaded the back of his pickup with four beat-up old 55 gal drums, a crap-ton of festering leaf bags, a couple of sacks of FFHF, four fence posts, and a bail of chicken wire. Oh, and several empty water jugs.

Very early the next morning Golden Boy loaded the four Skunk #1 plants into the space behind the seat of his truck and went out to a scouted location. It is important, I think, to mention that he also had a big tote full of red wigglers from his worm farm. A bounty.

On the way to the hillside of an abandoned fire road, Holmes knew he would pass a water source.
He filled up his jugs. A few miles up the road, in a place that nobody would consider walking, recently thinned for fire suppression, Holmes parked his truck. Golden Boy dragged his junk up the hillside to his select spot. There was no natural water source for several miles.
In his selected spot, GB had done a little shovel work previously. He had a mostly level spot on the hillside about100 yards from the road. GB emptied his slimy bagged leaf mulch into the drums until they were almost full. Then he dumped stream water on them. Over this he put about an inch or so of FFHF. Then, he dumped in some his worms and the compost that came with them. Next he poured FFHF into the barrels to top them out and watered again. He used landscaping staples to anchor porous weed barrier fabric on top of the soil/leaves.
GB then cut a hole in the fabric the diameter of his pots and planted his healthy female clones in the top of the barrels . He pounded six foot fence posts into the ground and surrounded with a chicken wire fence. He watered the barrels one last time and drove off. He didn't go back until last week. Wow! Off the hook craziness! He's still trimming and estimates his dry yield will be around 3 pounds!

Evidently, the 40 or so gallons of rotting leaves in each barrel hold a ton of water. My friend learned this method from a woman who has been doing permaculture since the 70'S. In very dry years she still harvests tomatoes and peppers using this method WITHOUT EVER WATERING THEM. The worms do their thing on the leaves all summer and continuously feed the plants.

I think I need to find me some old 55 gallon drums before next summer and collect and bag up a ton of leaves this Fall... Maybe he just got lucky, but I'd love to get lucky like that.

Better late than never, I'm a first time grower also. Sub'd.

Welcome Titan.

So I noticed this afternoon that something has been munching on Collette. The girl always seems to get the short end of the stick. Nothing major, some chewing on the side of two leaves and a small hole in one of 'em. Took a ride over to the hydro shop to access some local knowledge. The dude sold me some azatrol. Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

It's cloudy out now and almost bedtime so I mixed some up and gave both plants a good spraying - top and bottom. Not wild about spraying crap on the plants but I suppose with them being outside so much it's not a bad idea to do some preemptive pest control.

The cooler temperatures at night ought to put the hurt on outdoor pests soon.

A very good ghetto cheap insecticide that I can personally vouch for. My 1st journal "FIRST TIMER" Post #93

Thanks BAR. If the munching continues I'll try the H2O2 method. I pulled Collette out of the cab this A.M. and it looks like a little more munching may have gone on over night. The snacking is going on in a localized area. Unfortunately it's on the main stem where I FIMed. The growth is very tight there - like a pompom. I can't locate the culprit in that mass of delicate new growth. I gave it another wetting down with the azadirachitin. The half-life of the stuff is roughly 100 hours. I'll reapply in three or four days.

Never have found the battery for the good camera... No point in taking low res blurry pictures of the buffet. I have a feeling I left the battery and it's charge pluged into the wall of a vacation condo last month...

Despite the small amount of chewing going on, growth has been explosive the last few days. The Screens are filling in nicely.

The ghetto green house arrives today! I'm anxious to see how it will work.

Decided to use the phone and get some pics. Before the buffet shot here are some random photos.

First, White Panthers. Here is a better shot of them. They are looking good. Training them to be productive mothers will start soon:

twins7.jpg

Next a couple of shots of the training going on below my low screen. The screen is only 5.5 inches above the soil. I'm going at the SCRoG a little differently than most folks. Usually people train before adding the screen. I'm using the screen to train.

underside3.jpg

underside11.jpg

And here is a picture of the ladies outside this morning getting ready for the A.M. sun.

outdoors2.jpg

And here is a picture of a spot where something has been chomping on Collette - circled in red.
buffet.jpg

When they are outside I've just been letting the natural breeze do its thing. There was some sort of moth checking out the plants on Saturday. I just jumped up and directed a fan at them. Thanks for the heads up, Jay!

Just looked outside and saw another moth fluttering around the plants. The fan made the bastard feel unwelcome. My guess is the chompers are moth larva. The azadirachitin should screw them up if I keep with it. If I see another moth I'm going to catch it and do some identification.

One of the RAT BASTARDS flew right in through the sliding glass door while I was sitting at my desk!
mothb.jpg

They look so cute fluttering around the plants, but this is a cabbage worm butterfly. Hopefully the treatment I'm giving them will help. The tiny larva are green so they're hard to spot, I guess. Have yet to find and remove one.

I'm sub'd, good work so far and +reps for the DIY stealth closet. good work.
I love what your friend did with the 55 gal. barrels, worms and old leaves. I think you gave me a really good idea for next summer at the cottage. :)
Good luck with your grow.

I like the training with the screen, cool idea :) I have noticed little eggs on my plants on the end of a tiny almost invisible little stalk. I always squish them when I find them. Early on I found a tiny caterpillar that had created a little dwelling for itself by rolling a leaf up :rollit:

I'm sub'd, good work so far and +reps for the DIY stealth closet. good work.
I love what your friend did with the 55 gal. barrels, worms and old leaves. I think you gave me a really good idea for next summer at the cottage. :)
Good luck with your grow.

I haven't seen the results with my own eyes yet. I wonder if he didn't yank them too early in his excitement... I should get a sample at some point. Thanks for the reps. Greenhouse is here!

I emailed myself a phone picture of the greenhouse about 20 minutes ago and it still ain't here. Grrrrrrrr.

Early on I found a tiny caterpillar that had created a little dwelling for itself by rolling a leaf up :rollit:

I'll look for that... Gotta love all God's creatures. Making a leaf house is cool, just not in my girls!:yikes:

Back
Top Bottom