Seraphim's Coco-Hempy Bubba-Cheese & Blue Widow LED Grow Journal 2014

re: Seraphim's Coco-Hempy Bubba-Cheese & Blue Widow LED Grow Journal 2014

Hey there Dr. Catman12..

She is looking healthy and buds are moving along nicely. Of all my flowering plants, she is showing the most resin glands. I am just really wondering what I was thinking when I chose the container she's in. Its too small. I bet she's not happy in the root zone by now. Transplant stress really isn't an option for an auto this much into flower so she will have to finish out here.

She's about 26 inches tall from the floor in that tiny pot which I do not recommend using. I would advise at least a 2 gal smart pot or bigger. I know you mentioned you wanted to keep your grow short, that is why I point this out. If you use a larger pot than I did, your plant will likely be healthier, yield more and be somewhat larger while height might become an issue. However, I bet with the right LST even an automatic's height can be tamed without negative impact to its development and limited lifespan. All while providing an adequate size for its roots to live.

Here are some shots of her I took yesterday by the window for a more natural look...

IMG_169718.JPG

IMG_169912.JPG

IMG_170216.JPG

IMG_170317.JPG

IMG_170518.JPG

I have to admit the convenience of not having to worry about a photo-period issues like being there to open the tent in the morning and closing the tent at night do make the auto-flowering option a tempting route to consider.

Wow hey Seraphim - Thanks for the photos and update! She looks healthy and prosperous despite post size! :)

I am starting the germination process after I get off here. I have the 3 gal pots full and ready to go so I'm glad to read your recommendation here. My only concern is first week of veg with sprouts under the LED. Hazel started under CFL about 6 in from his top and had no stretch issues. The LED manufacturer recommends 30" from top during sprout/veg the first week. (??) Don't think I can stick to that and so will promptly kill them LOL - ??

+reps for sticking with your mutant auto...may you reap abundant rewards...

Ive started my seedlings at anywhere between 30 and 35 inches from the LED lamp and off to the side a bit. In other words, not directly under the light.

The light on these LEDs is very strong. I believe you have a Diamond series which is even stronger than my Mars-II and I had no problem starting from 30-35" away.

I'd say give it a shot as recommended and if you see stretching then act accordingly but with caution. Seedlings do not need a whole lot of light.

And thank you for the rep and good wishes. I too wish you a quick, trouble free and bountiful harvest!

Ive started my seedlings at anywhere between 30 and 35 inches from the LED lamp and off to the side a bit. In other words, not directly under the light.

The light on these LEDs is very strong. I believe you have a Diamond series which is even stronger than my Mars-II and I had no problem starting from 30-35" away.

I'd say give it a shot as recommended and if you see stretching then act accordingly but with caution. Seedlings do not need a whole lot of light.

And thank you for the rep and good wishes. I too wish you a quick, trouble free and bountiful harvest!

Thanks for the quick reply Seraphim - Helps a LOT :cheesygrinsmiley:

Question... I'm starting mine next week. Doing autos. Doing hempy, perlite bottom (resv) and perlite/vermiculite grow medium. 300w topled.....

If I read correctly, you dropped you auto seed directly in the coco and covered it to keep most, right?

My plan, please tell me what you think and what I should change /improve on....
Wet paper towel. See tap root, cut open Rockwood cube (pj's of course) and place near top of cube. Then put cube in medium, and sit and wait...

What of this "cover with plastic to keep most"? Can I use clear suran wrap stretched across tip of the bucket lip, NOT touching the soil. Should it be dark until she pops her head out?

Please dumb it down for me, lol. I'm a complete newbie

It sounds like you got it down pretty good Colesdad. There really isn't much to be dumbed down. Do as you've described, but if you use rockwool, be careful not to over water as that rockwool retains water really well. Leave them in the dark until you see them break ground, then you can put some light over them. Oh, and don't love them too much.

They're already hardwired to want to grow. We just have to give them the avenue.

:peace:

It sounds like you got it down pretty good Colesdad. There really isn't much to be dumbed down. Do as you've described, but if you use rockwool, be careful not to over water as that rockwool retains water really well. Leave them in the dark until you see them break ground, then you can put some light over them. Oh, and don't love them too much.

They're already hardwired to want to grow. We just have to give them the avenue.

:peace:

:high-five:
Thank you!

Yes Colesdad,

As Gov said, your method would work just fine. Good luck and hope to see a journal soon!

Ladies and gentlemen... Auto Dark Devil... looking all sexy this morning...

IMG_177216.JPG

IMG_177120.JPG

I know you have been moving ms Devil around and that probably is going to affect here flowing time, but how old is she now? Is she still in the CO 2 closet or is she with her others sisters? Is she smelling yet?

She is exactly 45 days old today. She's in the closet on a veg schedule sharing a tent with a 15day old seedling which is the next grow getting going. No CO2 at this time, that was a very short experiment. The other two flowering ladies are in a separate tent.

She's flowering and the smell is very mild at this point but my sense of smell is not the best. I have enjoyed growing her and she has been hardy and easy to feed taking on just about any amount of nutes I threw at her without much of a reaction. Her main stem is nice and thick.

I am playing with the idea of an automatic on a DWC. I bet they can yield just as good as regular photo-period driven plants.

I am playing with the idea of an automatic on a DWC. I bet they can yield just as good as regular photo-period driven plants.

Would love to try this next. Next grow is going in an armoire in the garage, and with it then being December, water temps wouldn't be an issue.

However, if hempy goes well, then I will experiment with another hempy instead of jumping to a completely new grow style.

Hempy will not disappoint, but DWC is in a class by itself in my humble opinion.

DWC requires more care and attention and work. But the yield can be much higher when properly done. I have tried once before and failed. But I also learned. Now I believe I know enough to try again and succeed. So, not the next grow here but the one after will likely be a DWC. Probably not an auto because I have another strain in mind for the DWC already (I'm thinking 2 grows ahead here) but if I can grow a regular plant from seed in a DWC, which I believe I can, then I should be able to get an auto going on one. I will take note of how long in days the roots take to reach water. If it is within a reasonable amount of time, auto should be no problem.

Seraphim, next pic update if it's possible can you put something in the pic for size comparison on those awesome buds. The only reason is because I'm getting some of these lights. Looking great man

Seraphim, next pic update if it's possible can you put something in the pic for size comparison

Ditto

As requested. Next to the universal size comparison tool, a Bic lighter.

IMG_181419.JPG

IMG_181321.JPG

IMG_181518.JPG

IMG_181723.JPG

IMG_181824.JPG

To be fair, I would not judge the light by the size of these buds because this automatic is in a super small pot and is likely root bound and has no where to grow much.

However, the two clones (which are sleeping right now) live in a larger container. Those would be a better way to tell what one can expect from these lights. They are a few days behind this automatic but their buds will likely outsize these very soon. These just look really nice. :)

I will have a good number when I harvest and dry up that blue widow. The expected harvest date range is around Halloween with final dry weights coming in sometime after.

Back
Top Bottom