IMG_20240319_230059945.jpg
IMG_20240319_230108931.jpg

Commercial SIP for my vegetable greens! 5 bucks is a steal!
Yeah, we’re gonna need more info on this one please! Lol

Question for you guys using mega crop. Do you have to flush your plants before harvest?
I haven't flushed a plant since forever. Flushing actually holds on to minerals in the plants tissues instead of flushing them out. Instead of flushing with plain water feed a lighter feeding solution at the end of flower.

That's what you should do either way at the end of flower, lowering temps, humidity and light intensity and feeding strength. Many people do that the other way around by feeding excess at the end of flower believing that it will help "bulk up" the flowers.

I haven't flushed a plant since forever. Flushing actually holds on to minerals in the plants tissues instead of flushing them out. Instead of flushing with plain water feed a lighter feeding solution at the end of flower.

That's what you should do either way at the end of flower, lowering temps, humidity and light intensity and feeding strength. Many people do that the other way around by feeding excess at the end of flower believing that it will help "bulk up" the flowers.
This is great info. I did drop my humidity down and I’ll drop the lights down to about 70%. That should help bring the temps down as well

I’ve been following this thread for awhile trying to get a handle on this and if ya’ll don’t mind, I got a question.
I’ve seen the awesome results Otter and Krissi have gotten and decided to take the plunge. I built my own sip and tried it out on a tomato plant. It’s a 12 gallon tote that holds 2 gallons of water. The top of the soil stays constantly moist, and I only top watered once. The surface humidity is always 70-80% uncovered. The plant is drinking fine and draining the bin. I have 2, 4” wide feet for wicking.
So here’s the question, is this sip too wet and would reducing it to only one 4” wicking foot make it drier?

Tomato sip
IMG_8211.jpeg
IMG_8216.jpeg
IMG_8481.jpeg

Potential modification
IMG_8488.jpeg

Thank you!

I’ve been following this thread for awhile trying to get a handle on this and if ya’ll don’t mind, I got a question.
I’ve seen the awesome results Otter and Krissi have gotten and decided to take the plunge. I built my own sip and tried it out on a tomato plant. It’s a 12 gallon tote that holds 2 gallons of water. The top of the soil stays constantly moist, and I only top watered once. The surface humidity is always 70-80% uncovered. The plant is drinking fine and draining the bin. I have 2, 4” wide feet for wicking.
So here’s the question, is this sip too wet and would reducing it to only one 4” wicking foot make it drier?

Tomato sip
IMG_8211.jpeg
IMG_8216.jpeg
IMG_8481.jpeg

Potential modification
IMG_8488.jpeg

Thank you!
Wish I had sound advice to give ya but, I’m just setting up my sip as well. What soil are you using?
I’m planning on adding perlite to try to get more air in the soil to hopefully have it drier at the top.
From the information I have gathered in preparation for this, you should either plant established plants that can use a larger amount of water or keep the res level low (1/2?) at the beginning while the plant builds a root base that will process the larger amount of water.
So, in short, the top should be drier.
I am bottom feeding my seedlings in a solo cup and will then up pot to 1 gallon pots (this weekend) which I will bottom water. Then they will go into 5 gallon sips.
Again, I want to be clear, I have no clue what I’m doing lol. This is just my course of action based on the research I’ve done. Good luck to us both!
Nice design on the sip by the way. I have no doubt it will work well once ya get rolling.

Tomato sip
IMG_8211.jpeg
IMG_8216.jpeg
IMG_8481.jpeg

Potential modification
IMG_8488.jpeg

Thank you!
The key issue is the plant's ability to process the water. As long as it is drinking well and draining the reservoir regularly you should be fine. But, as @Olddog Newtrick mentioned, you can always add lesser amounts of water at a time.

I like to only give as much as the plant will drink in a day or two, but others have had success with more than that.

If it's too wet for the size of your plant, it will look droopy and overwatered until it's big enough to handle the water you're throwing at it, which will stall the plant for a while, so I've found it better to match the amount of water I give it with its ability to drink it.

Tomato sip
IMG_8211.jpeg
IMG_8216.jpeg
IMG_8481.jpeg

Potential modification
IMG_8488.jpeg

Thank you!
I'm just getting into the whole SIP thing myself and I really can't offer much. I don't know how much water you put in the tank at once but I don't use anymore than the plant will use in a day.
But like I said I'm just getting into myself.

Wish I had sound advice to give ya but, I’m just setting up my sip as well. What soil are you using?
I’m planning on adding perlite to try to get more air in the soil to hopefully have it drier at the top.
From the information I have gathered in preparation for this, you should either plant established plants that can use a larger amount of water or keep the res level low (1/2?) at the beginning while the plant builds a root base that will process the larger amount of water.
So, in short, the top should be drier.
I am bottom feeding my seedlings in a solo cup and will then up pot to 1 gallon pots (this weekend) which I will bottom water. Then they will go into 5 gallon sips.
Again, I want to be clear, I have no clue what I’m doing lol. This is just my course of action based on the research I’ve done. Good luck to us both!
Nice design on the sip by the way. I have no doubt it will work well once ya get rolling.
I usually use Revs recipe but the stuff for the tomato is hodgepodge. Half revs, a root ball, half bag ffof etc…

I believe what you’re doing is optimal. I just wanted to try clones this round and this is what they had.

The key issue is the plant's ability to process the water. As long as it is drinking well and draining the reservoir regularly you should be fine. But, as @Olddog Newtrick mentioned, you can always add lesser amounts of water at a time.

I like to only give as much as the plant will drink in a day or two, but others have had success with more than that.

If it's too wet for the size of your plant, it will look droopy and overwatered until it's big enough to handle the water you're throwing at it, which will stall the plant for a while, so I've found it better to match the amount of water I give it with its ability to drink it.
Thanks! I guess that makes sense. If you never put enough water in to saturate all the media, it simply won’t. I’ll leave it as is.

Im new at SIPing as well, i fill the reservoir enough for 4 days or so , then leave it dry for 3 days till the next watering 🤙
You'll likely get a blend of roots doing it that way. Some thick, white water seeking roots and some of the fine feeder roots.

By keeping water in the reservoir all the time you'd fill the pot with the fine feeder roots almost entirely since the plant has access to all the water it needs so it doesn't have to spend energy creating the roots that look for water.

Hi Fudo, my earthboxes hold 10 gallons of soil, 2 gallons of water I think,maybe less I forget really, and have two, 3 x 3 x 3 feet if that helps. I think you're in the ballpark. If you think you have too much just put a rock in it to displace maybe.
Last grow was auto water. I turned it on and didn't look back. This grow I'm waiting 2 days to turn it on and plan to let it stay on again.

Back
Top Bottom