Just as a comparison here's what my root mass looked like on my bell syphon system ,a little bit of light penetrating through the side of the white bucket and the bucket was recessed into a board 3 inches hence no algae growth down low on the roots .
Not sure if algae is that bad a thing but a can of black spray paint is inexpensive ;)

Day 18 Full 8 Aug 2023.jpg

Cheers

Not sure if algae is that bad a thing but a can of black spray paint is inexpensive ;)

Day 18 Full 8 Aug 2023.jpg

Cheers
Yep , another thing to note is how defined the root layer is it cant be coincidence that is the exact height the bucket was recessed through the board above the reservoir, roots must be avoiding that little bit of light penetrating the bucket
Picture of how bucket was recessed 2-3 inches through board.

We are in flower! You will notice that I am also fermenting some home brewed fruit wines in this tent. They have some black plastic shrouds to keep the light from impacting the brews but these have been omitted for the pic.
83070DA5-43A8-4A74-9F8E-A9FAAF5A15FF.jpeg
The red is a combination red grape and blackberry, both grown right here on my city-steader postage stamp in Victoria BC, Canada. The yellow is made from plums picked from my next door neighbour’s tree. It was a very prolific year for fruit here this year, of the type I see only once every decade or so. I always harvest over 100lbs of grapes every year and make a lot of canned preservatives and fill my freezers with concentrate. I’m only a lowly home brewer, not a fine wine connoisseur. I brew to a decently high alcohol level, 13-14%, stabilize and then back-sweeten, and sometimes blend, to taste. These carboys are 6 US gallons and I have a third one underway that is solely my homegrown grape, which when brewed alone can be steered into a decent (to me) rose. This rose batch also has 8 ounces of dried cannabis flower in it (in closed, permeable baggies) which slowly decarbs as the ferment rolls along. Although tempurature never reaches the 90deg level, so long as I age in a grow tent where temps are always over 75 and go over 80 for the lights-on period, a wonderful amount of active cannabinoids infuse into the wine that readily pass the brain blood barrier upon drinking - providing a very pleasant experience. These fermenting wines also pass on a great benefit to the plants currently growing in the SIPs as well, as they constantly emit Co2, keeping my levels always above 850ppm and typically around 1000ppm - even though I am now circulating fresh air in constantly from outdoors and evacuating outdoors also, in this 5x5. (My second 5x5 tent is in a large room and just cycles air within the room, making it less suitable for the more pungent ripening crops).
062395F9-96CC-41F9-93BA-9075AE8EC57C.jpeg

8449144C-8253-4171-9D18-5A6996EBB9FF.jpeg

I’ve decided to share that very recently, not too long after my 50th birthday, I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. The tumour has already nearly closed my esophagus and I’m forced to live from a liquid diet. That’s not why I made wine, heheh, I do that all the time, but I certainly am grateful to have retained at least my appreciation for it in the meantime. Frankly, it is an extremely serious diagnosis and I will be undergoing the full complement of misery-inducing cancer treatments, including a major surgery, in the coming months. I’m very sorry if this news disturbs you, but I realized that I would not be able to keep it from you, to suffer in silence, and still somehow take part in this community in any way similar to the manner in which I have done for the last, nearly, two years now. This community is very meaningful to me and I wish to take part for as long as possible.

Due to unrelated circumstances, I’ve been living with pain and as a result, relative poverty, for some time, and I fully expect this new epoch will be an experience of the type I’d never willingly choose, nor one that will favourably impact my prospects generally. Nonetheless, our suffering can impart a great deal of wisdom, of humility, of humanity, and perhaps, for a few (others), even nobility. Wherever I go with this, I really want to thank you for your patience with me up to now, and ask perhaps for you to extend to me, please, a little bit more going forward… as I meekly go where all men have gone before.

We are in flower! You will notice that I am also fermenting some home brewed fruit wines in this tent. They have some black plastic shrouds to keep the light from impacting the brews but these have been omitted for the pic.
The red is a combination red grape and blackberry, both grown right here on my city-steader postage stamp in Victoria BC, Canada. The yellow is made from plums picked from my next door neighbour’s tree. It was a very prolific year for fruit here this year, of the type I see only once every decade or so. I always harvest over 100lbs of grapes every year and make a lot of canned preservatives and fill my freezers with concentrate. I’m only a lowly home brewer, not a fine wine connoisseur. I brew to a decently high alcohol level, 13-14%, stabilize and then back-sweeten, and sometimes blend, to taste. These carboys are 6 US gallons and I have a third one underway that is solely my homegrown grape, which when brewed alone can be steered into a decent (to me) rose. This rose batch also has 8 ounces of dried cannabis flower in it (in closed, permeable baggies) which slowly decarbs as the ferment rolls along. Although tempurature never reaches the 90deg level, so long as I age in a grow tent where temps are always over 75 and go over 80 for the lights-on period, a wonderful amount of active cannabinoids infuse into the wine that readily pass the brain blood barrier upon drinking - providing a very pleasant experience. These fermenting wines also pass on a great benefit to the plants currently growing in the SIPs as well, as they constantly emit Co2, keeping my levels always above 850ppm and typically around 1000ppm - even though I am now circulating fresh air in constantly from outdoors and evacuating outdoors also, in this 5x5. (My second 5x5 tent is in a large room and just cycles air within the room, making it less suitable for the more pungent ripening crops).

I’ve decided to share that very recently, not too long after my 50th birthday, I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. The tumour has already nearly closed my esophagus and I’m forced to live from a liquid diet. That’s not why I made wine, heheh, I do that all the time, but I certainly am grateful to have retained at least my appreciation for it in the meantime. Frankly, it is an extremely serious diagnosis and I will be undergoing the full complement of misery-inducing cancer treatments, including a major surgery, in the coming months. I’m very sorry if this news disturbs you, but I realized that I would not be able to keep it from you, to suffer in silence, and still somehow take part in this community in any way similar to the manner in which I have done for the last, nearly, two years now. This community is very meaningful to me and I wish to take part for as long as possible.

Due to unrelated circumstances, I’ve been living with pain and as a result, relative poverty, for some time, and I fully expect this new epoch will be an experience of the type I’d never willingly choose, nor one that will favourably impact my prospects generally. Nonetheless, our suffering can impart a great deal of wisdom, of humility, of humanity, and perhaps, for a few (others), even nobility. Wherever I go with this, I really want to thank you for your patience with me up to now, and ask perhaps for you to extend to me, please, a little bit more going forward… as I meekly go where all men have gone before.
Sorry to hear what you are going through hopefully the surgery goes well .
Are you worried about the bottle possibly exploding during fermentation or isn't that an issue with what you are making.
Plants are looking good too :thumb:

Ah bro! Had a bunch of quotes lined up and then read the second bit. 🥲

Proper sucks and that I face it with the same steady voice is something I can only hope! Respect man, but chin up, deep breaths, little steps plus -

In vino veritas - plus the weed!

Nick

Thanks for sharing RD! Be as positive as you can! Attitude is huge and you have a good one! It's a positive note to hear you have a diagnosis now and can go forward! Best! :love:

Highya RD,

So sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis!! I don't wish cancer on anybody!! It does have a way of making us more humble. I hope you have enough cannabis to get you through the bad times!!
I used to brew homemade wines and beer. A most fun project. Tasty too. Always a treat.
Prayers and healing vibes sent to you. Your knowledge of cannabis growing in particular, and knowledge of growing in general is awesome. I've been trying to learn that much, but never will get there!! Happy Smokin' and Drinkin'

Sorry to hear what you are going through hopefully the surgery goes well .
Are you worried about the bottle possibly exploding during fermentation or isn't that an issue with what you are making.
Plants are looking good too :thumb:
Hiya AB, thanks mate. First I gotta do abridged-level radiation treatments, and chemo as well, after which the cutting can begin. Gonna remove my esophagus next and create a DIY esophagus by strechting my stomach.

I have lately been staging out the 'primary fermentation' phase by mixing ingredients in large pails with lids, in my laboratory, with the heat on, and heating pads underneath, for about a week. Then I transfer to these carboys with airlocks on them so all the sweet cO2 pours out for my plants and prevents any explosive scenarios. I do however place them inside these totes just in case movement or what have you caused a fizzy, sticky overflow through the airlock. There are no significant safety concerns and I can evacuate the tent if ppms get too high (not so much for the plant but for me as even though its technically a separate room, it's still 10 feet away from where I sleep. The controller with green numbers on it shows my current levels on top and the bottom number is the setting where the system will evacuate all the co2 if/when reached..
009B6A5D-CC3B-4E8C-8077-D6A4D21645A8.jpeg

I'm using a very aggressive yeast that's all Rambo, no Rolex. I hope to show in this instance how much bigger that buds placed closest to the c02 sources grow compared to the others, and you can see all of them sort of leaning towards the sources, jonesing for a stomata-load of the blessed co2.

Tent in pic below is my second.
7F3AF443-1C87-4ED5-A5B4-7EE943BF7308.jpeg

With this 5x5 I do have a light and environmental system suitable to effectively benefit from steady, high co2 levels in the 1500-1600ppm range, with the only air entering or exiting this tent being automatically, reliably controlled as it sits in a 10x 5 ft room that I sealed pretty tight for co2. and both of my lights, one in each tent, are built to take advantage of high co2 ppms by providing a 5x5 footprint with a max power of 2900ppfm, generated by 1100 watt spread over ten bars running Samsung lt301H's, Cree 660's, (together measuring 3200 kelvin) and some far red (730na) plus UV (385na) available, each element controlled via ints own channel, its own driver, offering total light prescription development
36964E9E-6C36-4566-9151-47FD262590CD.jpeg
32BC1ADE-3675-49C7-AB29-E23D159C365C.jpeg
0CEDD198-5F5E-4829-B2BC-B33F65F0A833.jpeg
9D08ECDE-FBB1-4A9F-AC7A-824C5D7F0F61.jpeg
BAC63592-46C2-4750-9390-8400BF8EE70D.jpeg
575DC7BF-EE40-4FF4-8110-8279BB60C910.jpeg
CCB344BA-E056-4210-9E4A-A4E3199A1267.jpeg

😰

Hey Res! My new hero! F cancer! Ill be sure to put one up in the sky for you(whatever you want that to mean i know we all dont subscribe to religion)…but weed and wine together homegrown homemade and a source of co2?!? Genius ive never seen that combo anywhere Ill have to look into that!keep up the good fight!

Wonder if i could brew some co2 and brew with this malted barley i topdressed with hmm

Absolutely you could. All fermentation creates a strong and lasting (week or three of) co2 output, enough to take many tents into the "Strongly Supportive" zone. Also if you have a c02 tank system, as I do, it makes your tank go a lot further when it only has to top-off another 400ppm to get to 1500ppm, than the 1100ppm required if starting from the natural background rate of 400ppm.

On another tack, mycological culturing can generate significant co2, enough that will at a minimum add 3-400ppm given a decently considered enviro setup. You can make your own Co2 Bags like the ones for sale which do exactly this using a non-fruiting mushroom, but all fungi with strong hyphae are feasible, including many medical and psychedelic varieties.

Check out the new mushroom threads on here for good intro info. Also, these suggested generators do not need to be in the tent or room if that is not suitable, environmentally or practically, because you can pipe it in from the source very easily. Co2 is heavier than air and if you pipe upward from your airlock cork (bung) - using its own compression - then release in the tent (where the airlock should finish the line) the co2 will rain down onto the plants. Stir the air as you would normally and evacuate as infrequently as possible. Also, pick up a c02 meter, at least for your safety but also so you have some ability to judge the effectiveness of various modifications and methodologies you employ. If interested, especially with the more difficult fungal-sourced co2 ideas, I can find some older technical resources I've gleaned from- but do check out the new section. Imagine how cool it would be to superpower your weed using byproducts of your psilocybin grow! Am I right? Sure I am, I've done it, am doing it, and it's damn cool!

There is also a method involving 5-gal buckets, vinegar and baking soda (I think), some airline and a timed air pump. But I can't remember all the details. I learned that one literally 25yrs ago and was primarily an outdoor grower at the time so it has slipped from memory. An internet search should crop up something and If so, please share here.

Back
Top Bottom