Small Space Grow#3 - JillyBean - Strawberry Diesel - Chemmy Jones

With all the advice X gives us I feel like we should like be giving him a dollar each time he helps us out with good advice lol

You know, I think that's a great idea!! Just don't take it away when I give bad advice...

Quix has helped me a bunch, as have so many people here. Dude has growing nice plants in a small space DOWN. What goes around comes around, and heck, watch in the end they'll have seeds in them. Doh! (I don't think so though) :)

You know, I think that's a great idea!! Just don't take it away when I give bad advice...

Quix has helped me a bunch, as have so many people here. Dude has growing nice plants in a small space DOWN. What goes around comes around, and heck, watch in the end they'll have seeds in them. Doh! (I don't think so though) :)

Thank you for the kind words my Brother:Namaste:

Seeds, you say? Lets hope so, or I'ma look a fool!!:rofl:
And thats ok, if, in the end, this was all a big scare, it will serve to teach other people not to freak out...Hell, at least I didn't chop her and dig a 10 ft hole to bury her in, douse her in lighter fluid and throw in a match!
I've seen a few grows go down the crapper that way...Worst case scenario is I took a slow growing plant and supercropped her, and deprived her of a little light that is now being put to better use anyhow lol.
It's all good either way!
The only disadvantage I'm at right now, is that I wanted the cab for the upcoming autos(which have barely cracked anyhow)
We'll see what the next few weeks brings...
Thanks again for the kind words, and for the helping hand:Namaste:

Quix, I agree w/ XLR8. To me, it looks like you have some real swollen calyxes, but I don't see any nanners forming.

Also, unless I missed something, I don't think there's any reason for your plants to hermie. I do believe you're growroom is lightproof, or your other plants would most likely have hermied, too.

So, if this one plant turns out to be hermie, unless you did something to really cause it to hermie, I would NOT use it for breeding since there would be a high liklihood of hermies in any of the seeds produced with the pollen.

The plants look great and +REPS on the supercropping demo! :goodjob:

Nice job on the super crop. A little tip...next time water her about an hour before you do it. They become softer after watering. :goodjob:
Hi OMM and thanks!! Actually, I did water a couple hours before the supercropping. I didn't even think about the fack that it might help! Lucky me...!:high-five:

Quix, I agree w/ XLR8. To me, it looks like you have some real swollen calyxes, but I don't see any nanners forming.

Also, unless I missed something, I don't think there's any reason for your plants to hermie. I do believe you're growroom is lightproof, or your other plants would most likely have hermied, too.

So, if this one plant turns out to be hermie, unless you did something to really cause it to hermie, I would NOT use it for breeding since there would be a high liklihood of hermies in any of the seeds produced with the pollen.

The plants look great and +REPS on the supercropping demo! :goodjob:

Hey Mr. K! Thank you for the reps, and for the kind words!

Man, I wish I could have better captured the image for you guys...Trust me, this top was going to sprout nanners. The plant has four tops, and one of the taller tops was especially different...Almost no trich production, almost no pistil production, and the center was starting to push up a strange yellow growth, that was dense and vegetable like?? Best way I know to describe it....:Namaste:

That top bud did look like nanners forming to me too on your most recent pic. I was trying to send positive vibes the first time.....Don't use that pollen on anything other than itself if you want fem seeds, and even those will have herm tendencies since they are showing so early.

time will reveal all, im pretty sure that i saw the tips of pollen sacs emerging on that bud you removed, did you save it in a glass of water? but in any case the genetics may be unstable in that strain,and you might not want to keep em around, nothing better in my book than free seeds, but having had my lions share of hermy/intersex plants, i can say it sucks when they all show nanners, i dropped one line i had been working on for a while, because i held on to the "wrong" hermy genes and it pollinated my whole grow in the 4th week of flower, i still have all those seeds,(thousands) but every time i grow them out i get lots of hermys in the first couple wks of flower, it sucks cuz before that they only hermied after 12 wks in flower, that one bad plant jacked up 2 yrs worth of work, live n learn i guess,:high-five:
with the purple#1 it took the lights going out leaving them in extended darkness 4 different times as i recall then i snapped the top bud off at a critical time,and huge temp swings, i dont think your SD has endured such horrors, so the trait may be closer to the surface,
but getting some fem SD seeds is worth a shot fer sher yo! lol
it all adds up to you and us learning more valuable knowledge:thumb::thumb:

Nice job on the super crop. A little tip...next time water her about an hour before you do it. They become softer after watering. :goodjob:

This is a great tip.

I use this to my advantage with LST also. Sometimes it works so well, that a stem you'd swear would break if you tried to bend it feels like rubber when you work it right after watering. It's like magic how they are somewhat transformed from rigid to gumby at times, and it really adds to my appreciation of these amazing living creatures. It does seem to depend on the size/age of the stem somewhat, but it can make a remarkable difference at times.

+rep for the great tip OMM if it'll let me. :thumb:

That top bud did look like nanners forming to me too on your most recent pic. I was trying to send positive vibes the first time.....Don't use that pollen on anything other than itself if you want fem seeds, and even those will have herm tendencies since they are showing so early.

Thank you for looking OG!
So, is your contention that, the pollen from a hermie will be more likely to display those traits when crossed to another strain, than if it were to self pollinate?
I was under the opposite impression...I thought that the tendancy to herm would be less likely, given that the cross would help to breed it out to some degree; Whereas when "selfing" the plant has no other genes to dilute the herm trait....

Quix, anything you use the pollen from a "natural" hermie on is likely to produce seeds with the hermie trait.

If you want to do some breeding, take one of your female plants that doesn't easilly hermie, make a clone, and FORCE it (either the clone or the mom) to hermie by altering the light cycles (or colloidal silver, etc.).

Then, you'd be starting with a plant that doesn't have the hermie gene, but forcing it to produce pollen, which should be feminized pollen and when crossed with another female, will produce feminized seeds, since BOTH parents started as "true" females and not hermies.

Quix, anything you use the pollen from a "natural" hermie on is likely to produce seeds with the hermie trait.

If you want to do some breeding, take one of your female plants that doesn't easilly hermie, make a clone, and FORCE it (either the clone or the mom) to hermie by altering the light cycles (or colloidal silver, etc.).

Then, you'd be starting with a plant that doesn't have the hermie gene, but forcing it to produce pollen, which should be feminized pollen and when crossed with another female, will produce feminized seeds, since BOTH parents started as "true" females and not hermies.

While those are good ideas, its a time and space consuming journey I've considered, and decided not to embark upon.

I suppose the concept is debatable, as a lot of what I've read on the subject suggests that the term "True Female" is used quite loosely.

Feminized seed, is not true bred. It is produced using the tecnique you described, and or colloidal silver, and or light stress/food stress, all kinds of crap. The tendancy to herm, is relative to the gene stability; So, if one plant may herm at X% of stress, while another plant may stress out and herm at X%, just means that both plants had the "tendancy", just with different tolerances for stress.
My understanding of fem seed is this.
While a good percentage of breeders/seed retailers are what you may call reputable, and practice with good intentions and skill, there are probably an equal number of those who dont give a rats ass about quality genetics, and as such, their product suffers, as do we.
Many of them are using the cheapest and fastest ways to create Fem seeds to sell, without caution and our interests in mind.
So many times, in my humble opinion, a feminized plant is nothing more than a hermaphrotitic plant expressing "female" sex; All the while, the plant is just waiting for the right excuse, ie some bullshit light leak no more powerful than the full moon, or temp swing etc., to whip it out and "save the species".

Sorry, can you tell I'm a little pissed today? Lol...I quit smoking cigarettes 9 days ago...Its wearing on my nerves....

Anyway, my point is this.
Now that I'm a bit more familiar with how things work, I feel it will be worth my time and efforts, to grow mostly regular seed.
I'm actually at the point where I feel very leary of even crossing regular males with FEM females...I'm a little over hermies lol....
This Strawberry Diesel is from Holy Smoke seeds...I have one more SD seed, but it is a regular seed, and I'll reserve judgement of the breeder until I've had a chance to grow more of their product, but for no, not too happy.

My grow is like clockwork, no light issues to speak of, and temps are consistent and fairly stable...
Uuuuh, let's see, what else....

I need a smoke lol.......

well i am always looking to make the best of any situation, so i suggest what i did for that same reason, but your points are very good, i have been reading extensivly, and arrived at that conclusion as well, when im done growing out all the fems,autos etc, im more or less honing my breeding chops on this stuff, saving my regular good genetics for later, while building up a bunch of seed, so at the least i'll have a mash of decent stuff to grow out when i just need some damn meds, and cant or dont want to afford bank prices, if anything decent comes out of this,"bonus", but yeah i decided fem seed is alot of hype, and control, i feel to really breed a great strain you gotta start with clean regular seed, from stabilized ibl,f1, but im content playing crossing stuff and seeing what happens,,who knows what kind of frankenbud i may stumble upon!
good job with the non smoking, i quit a few yrs ago, one of the best things i ever did, i do feel better,you will too ,despite wanting to punch babies right now!! lol

Thank you for looking OG!
So, is your contention that, the pollen from a hermie will be more likely to display those traits when crossed to another strain, than if it were to self pollinate?
I was under the opposite impression...I thought that the tendancy to herm would be less likely, given that the cross would help to breed it out to some degree; Whereas when "selfing" the plant has no other genes to dilute the herm trait....

Nope, cross with itself to get fem (mostly). Even if you cross it with another plant of the same strain, you will get junk. Cross it with another strain you will get junk. The ideal (if there is such a thing) herm to use is one that looks 100% female, but shows real late male tendencies....in my opinion. I have had some success with this when crossed with itself (or a clone of the same "mother"). Just had 9 out of 9 seeds grow female with no sign of herm tendencies, waiting on smoke report to pick the mother. I'm with you on wanting to buy regular seeds, I try to lean that way for strains I really want to keep. Economics of plant limits force us to get fem seeds. We try to start one or two regular strains everytime we start new seeds, along with 5 or 6 fems. My personal preference is to grow one batch of 10 seeds and pick the mother. Trying some new stuff for patients does take priority. The goal is to always have a batch of regular stuff working through the pipeline.....

Quix, I agree with everything you said.

My point is simply that, if the plant has a tendency to hermie easily, you don't want to use it for breeding.

You're very right my friend, sorry for the rant yesterday!:Namaste:

Nope, cross with itself to get fem (mostly). Even if you cross it with another plant of the same strain, you will get junk. Cross it with another strain you will get junk. The ideal (if there is such a thing) herm to use is one that looks 100% female, but shows real late male tendencies....in my opinion. I have had some success with this when crossed with itself (or a clone of the same "mother"). Just had 9 out of 9 seeds grow female with no sign of herm tendencies, waiting on smoke report to pick the mother. I'm with you on wanting to buy regular seeds, I try to lean that way for strains I really want to keep. Economics of plant limits force us to get fem seeds. We try to start one or two regular strains everytime we start new seeds, along with 5 or 6 fems. My personal preference is to grow one batch of 10 seeds and pick the mother. Trying some new stuff for patients does take priority. The goal is to always have a batch of regular stuff working through the pipeline.....

Junk you say huh?....Hmmmm...I'm not a fan of junk!
This has helped me make another decision; If this plant doesn't start putting on weight and fast, she'll be the first plant I've ever culled. She's taking up valuable real estate, both by being in the cab alone, and by the placement of the cab in my bathroom!
In all the craziness of moving the cab yesterday, I managed to forget to close the lid on the auto seeds I was germing. They were pretty dried out, and the tip of the tap root on one was slightly brown....Flushed 'em.

I'm ready to start germing some seeds for the next grow, and the Strawberry Diesel is the only thing standing between me and that progress, soooo....

Anyway, thank you again for looking in and for the advice:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom