TrysHard's Hydro Grandaddy Blueberry Indica Grow 2014

Thank you DC420 you just confirmed what I was thinking. Once the Trichomes begin changing to cloudy and through out the changing process I am going to pull a bud or two for testing...lol...yea right...but seriously though. At least every 3-4 days dry, taste and store. I purchased a set of those CVault storage tins. 4 small tins for the test and a complete set (multiple sizes) for long term. Also, once I harvest mine will go into the freezer for that long term. Not yet sure if I will use the tins in the freezer.

Anyway, spending the weekend catching up.

Hey DC420, pop over when you get a chance. I've been referencing your boiled water cure and got some interest from others. Be nice if the explanation came from the person I got it from.

No No No bro never freeze them. Fridge okay for short term. Vacuum seal them in Jars for long term storage. Freezing will shatter the trichomes and leave you with junk. 2 things never to do(1) never freeze. (2)Over dry before cure(under 55%RH in sealed jar/bag).

No No No bro never freeze them. Fridge okay for short term. Vacuum seal them in Jars for long term storage. Freezing will shatter the trichomes and leave you with junk. 2 things never to do(1) never freeze. (2)Over dry before cure(under 55%RH in sealed jar/bag).
Unless you want to make hash then freeze them. Best when done right after harvest, and make the hash quickly also before the trim gets freezer burn.

For the sake of testing :reading420magazine: I pulled a test branchlet. It was one that was in the way when I was checking the Single Plant LST in the tent. The training is suffering being in there. I can't do as much with it as I want to because moving it around now messes up the trusses. Here it is in the corner getting bushy:
P5164532.JPG

So I pulled a branchlet:
P5174550.JPG

It weighs 7.4 Grams wet. I will weigh it each day until I smoke it. I will not be saving the test samples. I think 4 days between pulls is to long, you got me going with testing and I have plenty of popcorn sites like this. I will do one each morning now until the harvest. I will put together a detailed study each day with close ups of the buds. OK here is Day 1 Bud 1 Morning just before Night. I will pull another tonight just after lights on, I think that one will be cleaner.

Here is a better look at the main bud:
P5174552.JPG

P5174551.JPG

If I overload you on pictures the next two weeks, don't say I didn't warn you. Since this is what I consider my first complete grow, I have learned a lot and I hope my updates have given newbies the info I have gleaned from this wonderful forum. OK so I promised you closeups and here they are. I consider my Trichomes to still be some what clear, starting to cloud up.

These first three I used a medium magnification, it sort of looks like what I see in my 30X scope. You get a greater depth of field with lower mag. You can see the trichomes but they look cloudy, but I don't think they are. The higher mag one later show that.
Trichome_5-17.jpg

Trichome_5-17a.jpg

Trichome_5-17b.jpg

I went as far as I could on these. You can see the Trichomes clearly. They are still clear.
Trichome_5-17c.jpg

Trichome_5-17d.jpg

Here is the bud in its new resting home for drying in the rack. You should like that DC it has torture innuendo.
P5174559.JPG

So I think that is a sufficient response to your posts. Next post update on new veg station Fill and Drain system.

Keep checking each day as we will see a detailed progress towards harvest.

Love, love, love the direction of this little test. It gives us all a smarter way to test our crop and an early way to enjoy it. I guess props go to DC420 for twisting our arms...lol. Please don't jump off the bridge...mom said "if your friends jump off a bridge...lol".

Try's, I like your idea of clipping the popcorn buds but they may not have much development in the way of THC. SME's??? Hopefully I'm wrong and if I am I may go the same route.

I wasn't concerned with weight since this is for personal use but may get me a little scale...again for the science of it all. Suggestions?... Oh, I saw something at "Bed, Bath and Beyond"...lol.

Not sure about pulling one every day. Maybe every other day for me. But because of my small plant I may stick with 2 maybe 3 days. And I'm definitely going to wait for some noticeable Trichome color change. Still may see them by next weekend. We'll be in week 7 of flowering. Like you I will do some kind of review with every test. The problem here will be our tolerance building but hey it's for the science of it all...lol.

I did defol for the last time this weekend and kept the clippings for testing. I have about 20 plus popcorn sites since I kept them around for giggles. I have another 20 plus cola sites that I can leave for harvest. Very small colas but hey it's something...lol.

Sorry for blabbing on your journal and I'm done...lol.

Ok, how long can I store them dry? I've heard of others recommending freezing. Your statement regarding the break down of the Trichomes...again makes sense. I got the RH issue taken care of with the CVault canisters.

Ok, how long can I store them dry? I've heard of others recommending freezing. Your statement regarding the break down of the Trichomes...again makes sense. I got the RH issue taken care of with the CVault canisters.

you can store it for years in a dark cool place. once you crack a year old jar open and smoke one omg., you wil start waiting all the time. Also make hash when you start running out of storage space lol. i like the canning jars and i vacuum seal them.

nice pics Trys I'm jealous:goodjob: that looks like it will be primo smoke. There's a chance she could some more filling & swelling, maybe consider a partial harvest, I know how hard it is to wait. You still have fresh growth coming out of those tops, last year I had a plant make a big second effort, it started bursting w new bud nodules, all over my colas. It's in my 12 page journal from 2013. That journal finished with a 1/3 of the love you have over here. great job:high-five:

LMK if you want this pic out of your yard, NP I'll yank it. Pic shows the late "bursts" popping out of bud I thought was done, it finished about a week later. Grown in my ghetto tent under jumbo CFL from China, I think the Home Depot cfls are brighter than the jumbo. Wasted 50 bux on that. I'm hoping to go LED this winter. I hope they act as heaters in my cold shed. Cfl's keep the temp ideal at night when cold.

explodingbuds.jpg

Those who do ebb and flo, at what point in the day night cycle do you flood your plants?

I used to do ebb/flow, never fed in the dark. Am I late? lol, great detail on your 1st post, Trys, my zoo has slowed down thank goodness, I need to hang with all my contributors & visitors more often. I just can't keep up with this stuff sometimes. I love your set-up, looks like what I did to my pad in HB , 20 yrs ago.!:high-five:

5 stars given up top for your sweet yard.:circle-of-love:

nice pics Trys I'm jealous:goodjob: that looks like it will be primo smoke. There's a chance she could some more filling & swelling, maybe consider a partial harvest, I know how hard it is to wait. You still have fresh growth coming out of those tops, last year I had a plant make a big second effort, it started bursting w new bud nodules, all over my colas. It's in my 12 page journal from 2013. That journal finished with a 1/3 of the love you have over here. great job:high-five:

LMK if you want this pic out of your yard, NP I'll yank it. Pic shows the late "bursts" popping out of bud I thought was done, it finished about a week later. Grown in my ghetto tent under jumbo CFL from China, I think the Home Depot cfls are brighter than the jumbo. Wasted 50 bux on that. I'm hoping to go LED this winter. I hope they act as heaters in my cold shed. Cfl's keep the temp ideal at night when cold.

explodingbuds.jpg

yeah looks like a little foxtail going on. if they try and grow new tops pinch them off and they will fatten up.

I used to do ebb/flow, never fed in the dark. Am I late? lol, great detail on your 1st post, Trys, my zoo has slowed down thank goodness, I need to hang with all my contributors & visitors more often. I just can't keep up with this stuff sometimes. I love your set-up, looks like what I did to my pad in HB , 20 yrs ago.!:high-five:

HB 20 years ago? Were you my neighbor?lol

I grew up there.

I don't mind other members posting pictures, I know some are sensitive, just make them informative like you did and most members would have no problems. I don't think they will grow any more upwards, they have gotten fatter over the last couple of weeks. But even I can't justify more picture when they look just the same. I will do a nice update in a hour or so. Since I had power outages a couple of times my lights don't come on until 11pm.

Its evolved a little since then, don't have the cardboard veg enclosure anymore. I have some more refinements coming. I plan on getting a booster fan and add ducting from the AC area next to my 4x4 that keeps it cool and bringing some of that air to the little tent. Mondays project along with a flush.
I asked and asked about feeding schedules early on. It wasn't until I had already established this one that the Capn chimed in and said he thought 2 feedings a day wasn't enough. By then they were already used to it and I didn't change. It could be the reason for some late growth leaf die off. I am going with a top feed system next and will probably feed twice in veg and 3 times a day for bloom on the next one.

yeah looks like a little foxtail going on. if they try and grow new tops pinch them off and they will fatten up.
Those look kind of big to pinch, if he changed his lights and they suddenly got more energy I could see some more growth, but my ladies have been under a 1000W HPS for 8 weeks now.

HB 20 years ago? Were you my neighbor?lol

I grew up there.

Small world, I lived in HB, not at the beach though, Beach and Warner. That was about 12 years ago.

My Journal has reached twenty five pages! :thanks:

Ok I was going to do this in the morning but it was hot work on the plants tonight and I had a Coke and now I can't sleep so a quick update. I did a major defoliation tonight and moved the buds around to get more exposure to them. It was amazing there were these long strings of popcorn buds and at the end would be a bud that found its way to light. The branch was more like a vine and I was able to untangle them and moved them so not only the big bud on the end had light but most of the smaller buds were now getting direct sunlight. In short I was able to expose a lot of buds that I didn't even know I had. Also I found that in the last day they had fallen over and I had to tie many of them up. In the overview picture you see some still lying down. I did them last and tied them up also. By doing this I exposed many many more buds. In the middle after pulling it apart and taking out big fan leaves it exposed dozens of buds, I gently pulled them apart, they were all tangled. I will need a new trellis for the next grow. The nice thing about this one is that it was cheap and easy to move around and I cut when needed. I also broke a fairly large branch, but one of the smaller ones. It weighed 47.6 grams, after taking out the big branch. I also weighed the biggest bud and it weighed 20.4. Tired so there will be no captions on the pictures tonight. Oh almost forgot, DC look at the close ups. 100% cloudy and I circled some that were turning amber, I am going to flush when I get up in the morning. I might let it go one more feeding and then do the change out for the first daylight feeding. Ok now I am way to tired and I still have to finish the pictures. Here they are I will try to display them in the order I discussed them above. I'll try.

P5194571.JPG

P5194572.JPG

See the Popcorn string, I dug it out of there and:
P5194577.JPG

Moved it here it is the larger bud on the right. I used to be down low and now has direct light.
P5184568.JPG

P5194573.JPG

P5194575.JPG

P5194578.JPG

P5194576.JPG

Here is the broken branch though it looks substantial and it is, it is one of the smallest branches.
P5194569.JPG

These are the buds from that branch weighed 47.6 G
P5194570.JPG

The main bud 20.4G
P5194586.JPG

Tip of main bud
P5194590.JPG

Closeups of a cola in the tent.
cloudy1.jpg

Cloudy trichomes 100%
amber_1.jpg

Cloudy Trichomes and amber ones circled
amber5.jpg

More Amber
P5194584.JPG

P5194583.JPG

P5194582.JPG

P5194581.JPG

P5194580.JPG

OK so I did a few captions off to bed, its 3AM.

cloudy1.jpg

Cloudy trichomes 100%
amber_1.jpg

amber5.jpg

More Amber
P5194584.JPG

P5194583.JPG

P5194582.JPG

P5194581.JPG

P5194580.JPG

Sleep well...lol. Job well done. I think someone stated earlier...isn't it great to be able to control the high. And knowing when to.

IMO, your ready...

My Journal has reached twenty five pages! :thanks:

Ok I was going to do this in the morning but it was hot work on the plants tonight and I had a Coke and now I can't sleep so a quick update. I did a major defoliation tonight and moved the buds around to get more exposure to them. It was amazing there were these long strings of popcorn buds and at the end would be a bud that found its way to light. The branch was more like a vine and I was able to untangle them and moved them so not only the big bud on the end had light but most of the smaller buds were now getting direct sunlight. In short I was able to expose a lot of buds that I didn't even know I had. Also I found that in the last day they had fallen over and I had to tie many of them up. In the overview picture you see some still lying down. I did them last and tied them up also. By doing this I exposed many many more buds. In the middle after pulling it apart and taking out big fan leaves it exposed dozens of buds, I gently pulled them apart, they were all tangled. I will need a new trellis for the next grow. The nice thing about this one is that it was cheap and easy to move around and I cut when needed. I also broke a fairly large branch, but one of the smaller ones. It weighed 47.6 grams, after taking out the big branch. I also weighed the biggest bud and it weighed 20.4. Tired so there will be no captions on the pictures tonight. Oh almost forgot, DC look at the close ups. 100% cloudy and I circled some that were turning amber, I am going to flush when I get up in the morning. I might let it go one more feeding and then do the change out for the first daylight feeding. Ok now I am way to tired and I still have to finish the pictures. Here they are I will try to display them in the order I discussed them above. I'll try.

P5194571.JPG

P5194572.JPG

See the Popcorn string, I dug it out of there and:
P5194577.JPG

Moved it here it is the larger bud on the right. I used to be down low and now has direct light.
P5184568.JPG

P5194573.JPG

P5194575.JPG

P5194578.JPG

P5194576.JPG

Here is the broken branch though it looks substantial and it is, it is one of the smallest branches.
P5194569.JPG

These are the buds from that branch weighed 47.6 G
P5194570.JPG

The main bud 20.4G
P5194586.JPG

Tip of main bud
P5194590.JPG

cloudy1.jpg

Cloudy trichomes 100%
amber_1.jpg

amber5.jpg

More Amber
P5194584.JPG

P5194583.JPG

P5194582.JPG

P5194581.JPG

P5194580.JPG

hey if they are all like that i would start the harvest stretch. they are way cloudy and they have a few ambers. perfect. do your thing bro.

Back
Top Bottom