Water Cooled Grow Light. Barney's Farm Strains. 1st Journal

I don't think it is as easy as say... its the RH or the PH or the Temp or the CO2... in and of themselves, individually, each item would affect the plant slightly... but when multiple items are slightly off they compound the problem in an already complex situation....

For instance, lets say... the PH is off by .4 and locks out Mag. and the CO2 is a lil high... and the temp is a lil low... and the plant is over watered... and the humidity is a lil high... and the plant is really under fed for CO2 but since the plant isn't metabolizing the nutes it looks like it is over feed... where do you begin? Its a total cluster fuck.

SO you add Mag - thinking it is a deficency... but its really not... its just locked out so more Mag just compounds the problem.... so forth and so on... you see how this works?

Basically, in my opinion... you need to make a decision.

CO2 or not,

If your going to use CO2, you need to at the very least, get all the environmental factors up to standard values..... turn off the water cooling system for the lights to raise the temp to atleast 80 or 85 - you can safely let it hit 90.

Your only running a 400? the heat shouldn't be a problem... just raise the light from the canopy...

2ndly, you need to have a fan on the top of the canopy and the bottom.. CO2 is heavier than the air and needs to be moved.

Get a DE-humidifier and get the RH down.

You need have a CO2 Meter to test the CO2 PPM in the air (if you don't have one and aren't using one - I don't remember if you mentioned it.)... using some chart that says release this much CO2 for this long only works initially... you have no idea how fast your plants are using the CO2 and how much to replenish if your not constantly monitoring it....
too much CO2 is toxic to the plants... you said your keeping it at 2200.. i would drop it to 1500... not that 2200 is too much to kill it... but I think it is too much for 70's

Every strain is different with nutrients uptake... so you need to adjust according to its needs....and CO2 enhanced means more.

Same with the Water.

if you cant do all that... than I would temporarily kill the CO2 and get your plants undercontrol....

also, CO2 should be stopped the last 2 weeks of flowering as it can cause the resin glands to rupture

OK gotcha. Thanks chaos. Lately I've been keeping the co2 at 1000 to 1500. I actually just got the RH down to 50% and it looks like its staying that way, so we'll see how things progress. Thanks for all the advice. I'll post some pictures soon showing how they're doing.

I heard these watercooled jackets cause a 30% loss in light output due to light passing trhough the water. Supposedly it really knocks down the red spectrum as well.

That's the main reason these jackets aren't so popular. I've seen competing setups that ue a fan to blow air through the reflector and then through a water cooled heat exchanger. Supposedly this gives similar heat benefits without the reduced light.

I heard these watercooled jackets cause a 30% loss in light output due to light passing trhough the water. Supposedly it really knocks down the red spectrum as well.

That's the main reason these jackets aren't so popular. I've seen competing setups that ue a fan to blow air through the reflector and then through a water cooled heat exchanger. Supposedly this gives similar heat benefits without the reduced light.

It's actually more like 5% and the spectrum is enhanced.... They are not that "popular" because they are new and older versions had problems -- that's changing very quickly though. There are quite a few popping up, there are several people - that I know of - who use them on the forum.

It's actually more like 5% and the spectrum is enhanced.... They are not that "popular" because they are new and older versions had problems -- that's changing very quickly though. There are quite a few popping up, there are several people - that I know of - who use them on the forum.

It can't be 5%. Standard glass and polycarbonate only transmit 85% of visible and solar light. Ultra low iron glass will transmit up to 91.5% visible and solar light.

This type of setup passes the light through two layers of polycarbonate or glass plus a layer of water. It would be impossible to achieve 95% light transmission. As for the water layer, it is relatively thin. So maybe it could be 5% just for the water layer. Water seriously affects the tranmissability of longer wavelength light. For example, if you pass white light through 3 meters of water, 44% of the red spectrum would be filtered out. At 5 meters, 90% of the red spectrum below 800nm would be filtered out.

Seriously, these water jackets are really bad for your light spectrum and they should affect HPS lights more than MH since blue light will pass through water relatively unharmed.

As for your reference to the light being 'enhanced', I guess if you wanted to knock down the spectrum below 800nm - that could be considered 'enhanced'.

I'm going to make this short and sweet so as not to muddy the thread. Blue and red spectrum are both increased 5% light loss is 8%. It is borosylicate glass... Research helps you not make incorrect assertions. Please go rain on someone else's parade.

If you still feel you are correct just pm me....

And you can also consider the fact that your plants can be closer to the light without any heat stress problems. Oh, and my red dragon plant was in really bad shape so I investegated cause this happened over night. It turns out that the red dragon pretty much got eaten up by spider mites and to me it looked like it had no chance of living so I went ahead and chopped it. Kinda got me down since I was hoping for a lot more red dragon but I got more seeds I can grow with my next grow.

I'll post some pictures of the remaing 5 plants later, and Im also going to be starting a new journal on an outdoor grow I just got started last week. They are all just random bag seeds that a buddy of mine had. It was some decent weed too, he too has a plant growing and it smells skunky as hell so Im hoping to get some good product from it. Hopefully this harsh Texas weather doesnt do them too bad though.

I'm a big fan of outdoor grows. Haven't done one in several years, but I am thinking of doing one this year...its staying about 40 at night out right now so it might be the time to begin.

Yeah, here the weather has been perfect. Anywhere from 40-60 at night, and in the day usually around 60. But in the summer I have a feeling the weather is going to be harsh. I can just imagine it'll be around 90 degrees. I just hope my plants dont mind all that hot weather.

OK here are some bud shots, including the Red Dragon which was chopped down due to a bad case of spider mites.

ALL19.jpg

Amnesia Lemon
AL-34.jpg

AMLemn.jpg

Amnlmn.jpg

L-S-D
FavLS-d.jpg

LS-d45.jpg

LS-dfav.jpg

Lemon Skunk
LS-04.jpg

LS-34.jpg

Power Kush
Pk-1.jpg

Pk-3.jpg

Pk-5.jpg

Night Shade
NS_234.jpg

NS-233.jpg

NS-344.jpg

NS-65.jpg

Here are pics of the dried red dragon and a little bit of Barney's farm Morning Glory from our last grow, its my favorite strain so far.

Red dragon
RD4.jpg

RD41.jpg

Morning Glory(Love this stuff, really good flavor and the best high Ive experienced)
Morningglory.jpg

We got about half an ounce of the red dragon, which I guess want too bad on account of it being infested with mites and it had only been in flowering for about 3 maybe 4 weeks. The lemon skunk and Power kush will be harvested before any of the others since they have the shortest flowering period.

Looks good man, certainly better than mine...my pH went to shit and bout killed my plants over a weeks time...still no clue what caused it. Did you ever figure out what was causing the leaf curl?

Nope, i never did find out. I tried all sorts of things, but nothing ever fixed it. Its werid cause it doesnt seem to be bothering their growth. It bothers me though. I wanted them to look more normal and a bit prettier, but as long as I keep noticing the normal growth then Im fine.

I think the leaf curling was caused by the light being put vertically like I did because I had put them in flowering for about a week with no problem then decided to put the light vertically and see how they do, then a few days later the leaves curled in like that. Im not sure how that would have done that but I think it confused the plants somehow since the tops werent getting as much light as the rest of the plant.cIM not sure though, just a thought.

Thanks for sharing your grow with us!

I’m moving this to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom