1st Grow - Ebb-N-Grow : Afghan Kush, White Widow, Bag Seed!

Quick update, just shooting in, gotta run out again, then I'll be back in a bit.

PP4F.
It wasn't air-lock (nice call), but the pump was "dicked". I stopped at PetCo, the place where Pet's shop (or something like that) and picked up a $15.00 40 gallon air-pump. Plugged it in an we're back in business. Phew. Side note. I feel sorry for the fish in that place. Kind of like Nemo.

Anyway here's a couple of pics. Be back in a bit.

Day 2.
MJ_938_1.jpg

MJ_935_1.jpg

You may notice the one in the back right is starting to come up. Hope the one up front does the same. They're also starting to stand up!

SF

Man, it must be awesome to have babies AND bitches in bloom ;) I think that's what we all wish for.

Starting from seed has to be pretty cool.

Get some photos up of the buds, will be watching all the way.

Welcome to spring

Hey NEF. Heard that new "device" arrived. I'm going to fire one up here, just to feel like we're having a little smoke session. Hope you like it. Let us know.

Bitches and Babies. As long as one I can "kick-out" and the other doesn't require child care until the age of 18, then I can deal. Ha...ha.

Photo's are here....Let's proceed.

SF

Update 03/20/2010

Ebb-N-Grow
Today, did a res change. New PH 5.7 / PPM 1650

The plants are HUGE. I never would have picked this room if I knew how large these suckers were going to grow. Even with 6 plants, there is no room to work in close proximity of the plants. I can't even step into the room. I have no idea how McB grows so many plants in such a small space, correct a tent?

Everything seems to be on track, the buds are developing really well. The Afghan Kush is really loading weight on. My clone experiment, well, it's doing okay, but the way the branches developed from the main stem, it formed a V and those two large branches are weighing down potentially going to topple over. I've been working with some string and trying to get things tied up, but I don't know...we'll see.

So these first two pics will paint a picture of what's going on. Posting these right now, and working on 2nd batch which has the bud detail, etc.

Let me know any comments/suggestions. As always, thanks guys!

SF

Day 21 Flower:
MJ_949_1.jpg

MJ_954_2.jpg

Part II...Coming up

Part II - Sorry about the color variation. Some were taken this morning before lights on, then I took another batch this afternoon...lights on.

Overview Shots
MJ_907.jpg

MJ_927.jpg

White Widow Shots

MJ_964.jpg

MJ_904.jpg

MJ_919.jpg

MJ_965.jpg

Clone Experiment
MJ_917.jpg

Afghan Kush Shots
MJ_923.jpg

MJ_960.jpg

MJ_931.jpg

MJ_932.jpg

MJ_934.jpg

That's all for tonight folks. Have a great Sunday.

SF

keep up the good work!!
im sure your seedlings will be up in no time..

Thanks YBT. Fingers crossed

The buds are shaping up nicely!

I made a mistake last week, I'm 2 weeks ahead of your buds, looking grat man!

Thanks FPF. May we both finish with a nice little "stash"!

Nice photography. SF you're doin good bro.. doin good

Thanks much Dro. Amazing what a tripod will do for you!

Nice Bud Shots. You should be pleased. Fate may have dealt you aces with the males, there isn't room for them.

Last night was awesome. :thumb: for the 419. But that came at a price.

Thanks NEF. LOL, little too much 419?

Beautiful room of green SF :ganjamon:

Mahalo OMM!!! Gotta see what you've got going on! On my way.

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement/support!

SF

Well technical your running at ~ 1/2 potential. 10,000 Lumens per square foot being optimal

140,000 lumens / 28sq ft (7*4) = 5000 lumens per sq foot.

According to Jorge Cervantes in "Marijuana Horticulture the Indoor/Outdoor Medical Growers Bible" light movers increase efficiency by 25-35% tho which would put you at up to a hypothetical 6750 lumens per sq ft (5000*1.35)

But thats just the math, maybe people with more experience with HPS or light movers can weigh in better, but plants only need ~3000 lumens per square foot to grow "effectively" if memory serves me correct

:peacetwo:

But you've got to consider the inverse square law, or how far are your lights away from your plants? Yes, a 1000w hps puts out 140,000 lumens at 1', but generally they can't be placed that close due to heat. At a distance of 3', the recommended minimum without remediation, the plants only receive ~ 15,500 lumens, a clear deficiency.

Hey Guys.

Thanks again for working the math for me on this one. I guess there really is only one sure way to get an accurate reading on what's doing with light penetration. And that would be to spend a little coin. I've got one of these on order to help us do a little "experiment". I did a quick look-up on lumens to lux/foot-candles, would you guys concur that this meter will provide an accurate scale for us to judge lighting performance?

SS500_.jpg

Hopefully next week we can get some data.

Thanks again!
SF

Hey Guys.

Thanks again for working the math for me on this one. I guess there really is only one sure way to get an accurate reading on what's doing with light penetration. And that would be to spend a little coin. I've got one of these on order to help us do a little "experiment". I did a quick look-up on lumens to lux/foot-candles, would you guys concur that this meter will provide an accurate scale for us to judge lighting performance?

Hopefully next week we can get some data.

Thanks again!
SF

Hey bro. I looked up "Light Meters" in my handy little grow bible by Jorge and heres what I found:

"Both scales [foot-candles & lux] measure light to which the human eye reacts to "see." They do not measure photosynthetic response to light in PAR watts.....This information is still valuable, because it records the amount of light spread over a specific surface."

So if I understand this right, its not convertible to lumens because not all of the light that will be measured with the meter coming from the HPS is usable by plants but will still make sure your getting even distribution of light.

p.s. Thanks for the +rep from before! :ganjamon:

Thoughts from StinkFinger.

So I think I explained a bit earlier that I'm sort of a plug-n-play type of guy. Never really was great at DIY and home projects.

I'm a gadget guy, through and through...and love technology. Finding devices that can aid in improving environmental variables via monitoring has something I've been researching for a bit now. When checking out NEF's journal this morning, he pointed out something with a temperature variance that might have been "detrimental" if had gone unchecked.

I've been seriously considering picking up one of the units. The amount of information that can be recorded (32,000 Samples; all samples include data date and time, 1 second to 1 month sampling rate) can provide an exact profile of Temp and RH conditions, which I can further adjust with ventilation and other adjustments.

It also allows for alerts to be sent via email if a "threshold" is passed, both an upper threshold and a lower threshold. I have my eye on a temperature probe and also a humidity wall mount gauge.

It's a little bit "pricey", so I'll have to see how committed I am to several more cycles (might take a break from summer heat).

Comments/Feedback.

More details below:

7008big.jpg

Overview
* Monitor the environment, power failures, leaks, opened doors or windows, smoke and more
* Six inputs are available for connecting a variety of sensors
* Receive an e-mail alert or a text message when sensors detect abnormal conditions
* Program and configure the device from the web
* View live status and history from the web

Essential Info
The Sensaphone Web600 is a flexible web-based home monitoring and alarm notification system at an affordable price. You can keep track of critical temperatures and other conditions and be notified immediately when current values exceed the normal range. It is a completely standalone and easy to use device that can be used for monitoring cold food storage, medical cold storage, and other temperature sensitive areas like computer rooms and data centers. In addition to temperature monitoring, it can also read values from humidity sensors, air quality sensors, water leak detection sensors, door and window contacts and more; sensors sold separately. Whenever conditions reach levels out of the norm, a notification can be sent via email or text message to eight different users, letting you know of the concern as soon as it happens. A built-in web server allows you to program and configure the device as well as view live status and history, all from the internet. This compact unit allows for wall-mount or tabletop installations. It has six available zone inputs (for six sensors), an Ethernet port for connection to the web, an input for the 5VDC power adapter and status LED's on top of the unit.

More Info
Advanced Capabilities
* Sensor Inputs: Connect up to six external sensors to monitor a variety of equipment and conditions. Each input zone can be connected to a temperature sensor, an analog transducer, or a dry contact switch.
* Web Programming: Built in web server for easy access to programming and status. Just point your browser to the Web600's webpage and fill in the blanks for a quick configuration.
* Web Status: Live status and history is only a webpage away. The Web600 built-in web server provides quick and easy information about your monitored conditions. Even time stamped history reports are readily available online.
* Alarm Notification: When monitored conditions exceed normal values, the Web600 will notify you immediately by sending out e-mail alarm messages, and even text messages. Up to eight people can be contacted to make sure that proper action is taken.
* Optional Battery Backup: With the addition of the optional battery backup module, the Web600 can monitor for power failures and stay operational for two full hours while the power is out.

SF;
Just dropped in to see what you got workin'
VERY impressive! Great job!
Thanks again for your help, they are looking much better! I wasn't giving them enough waterings! I never did the H2O2 either. I might pour that in my hot tub.
How fast and how much can you raise nuts?
I'm at 550 and think i need to get up to 1500 pretty quick.

all the best

SF;
Just dropped in to see what you got workin'
VERY impressive! Great job!
Thanks again for your help, they are looking much better! I wasn't giving them enough waterings! I never did the H2O2 either. I might pour that in my hot tub.
How fast and how much can you raise nuts?
I'm at 550 and think i need to get up to 1500 pretty quick.

all the best

Hey MB.

Really glad you made it man! All the guys in the PM I sent you are working on the same system. Everyone is really helpful and will answer any questions!

LOL at your use for the H2O2.

On your nutes question, how far along are you?
What brand of nutes are you using again?
You can post a picture here on my journal if you want these other guys to see it (more help the merrier).

From what I can remember (and sometimes it's hard to keep all the pictures and info straight), it's probably time to start pushing your guys or gals, excuse me. Post the data and we can help.

Thanks man!
SF

Hey bro. I looked up "Light Meters" in my handy little grow bible by Jorge and heres what I found:

"Both scales [foot-candles & lux] measure light to which the human eye reacts to "see." They do not measure photosynthetic response to light in PAR watts.....This information is still valuable, because it records the amount of light spread over a specific surface."

So if I understand this right, its not convertible to lumens because not all of the light that will be measured with the meter coming from the HPS is usable by plants but will still make sure your getting even distribution of light.

p.s. Thanks for the +rep from before! :ganjamon:

A fountain of knowledge you are!

WTD, can I impose on you? Would you mind checking out this article that I was using for a "reference", I'd like your take as it applies to this lighting discussion we started.

YOR - Lighting Resources

Thanks man!
SF

A fountain of knowledge you are!

WTD, can I impose on you? Would you mind checking out this article that I was using for a "reference", I'd like your take as it applies to this lighting discussion we started.

YOR - Lighting Resources

Thanks man!
SF

Hmm wierd, This book I have dosent mention anywhere that foot-candles and lumens are convertable but after checking out that refrence you linked I was confused and did some more reseach and stumbled upon Lumens, Footcandles, Candlepower, Measuring Light Output and found this:

"A lumen is a way of measuring how much light gets to what you want to light! A LUMEN is equal to one foot-candle falling on one square foot of area.......Candlepower is a rating of light output at the source, using English measurements.
Foot-candles are a measurement of light at an illuminated object.
Lumens are a metric equivalent to foot-candles in that they are measured at an object you want to illuminate.
Divide the number of lumens you have produced, or are capable of producing, by 12.57 and you get the candlepower equivalent of that light source.

We've now converted a measurement taken some distance from the illuminated object, converted it from a metric standard to an English unit of measure, and further converted it from a measure of illumination to a measure of radiation!"

So it appears it IS convertible!! Unless I'm missing something...but here is an online conversion calculator for lux or foot-candles to lumens per sq foot: Illumination Conversion - Online Unit Converter

SF;
I'm starting my fifth week,
we're at 12 inches high on the best ones, (a little behind I think from the mishap)
(sorry I gotta read the picture upload instuctions again)
I'm using Flora Nova Grow 7-4-10

Problems with the controller bucket now too. The drain float won't kick in, water everywhere
Got a loaner comming in tomorrow,

We've now converted a measurement taken some distance from the illuminated object, converted it from a metric standard to an English unit of measure, and further converted it from a measure of illumination to a measure of radiation!"

So it appears it IS convertible!! Unless I'm missing something...but here is an online conversion calculator for lux or foot-candles to lumens per sq foot: Illumination Conversion - Online Unit Converter

Man I love America.

But why do we always have to go "the other way" when it comes to our weights and measures. (MPH, Weight, Lighting Measurement, Etc., Etc.)

:geek:

Thanks for the link and lesson. That helped. Guess we'll see what the meter can help us analyze.

Best.
SF

Back
Top Bottom