1st Grow In 40 Years

:thumb:
Looks great, man. How far down does that shelf drop?

From the shot above i can drop it 16 inches yet.
9/12... Today I dropped it another notch so I have 13. Once I drag the probably males out I will gain another 4" as the males probable males are the tallest.

I am finding it difficult to accept the invevitable on the males. I raise em like children and find it hard pull em. I am pretty sure they are male but still hold out hope. They have got to show me pistils in the next two days or I will have to do the dirty deed.

Right now only 2 are defitinite females, 2 are probable females showing points but no pistils, 1 shows me nothing, and 3 are probably males.

they're looking really kosher right now. its looking like you'll get some medicine if you found some pistls. :bravo:

i'm doing a smaller grow, but same idea. i have 5 under a bunch of 45watt cfl's. bagseed also. in this case i am the son not the father, trying to hide my grow. haha my mom is a smoker and is cool with it. but my dad doesn't like the idea of me growing in my closet. but hopefully they dont mysteriously go missing in the future.

cant wait to check in soon and see some growth. i may have missed it but how many days after sprout did you switch to 12/12. or are you still on 24? and what kinda nutes are you using?

:roorrip:

impressed with the grow. The deep green of your plants makes me jealous though you indeed seem to have had some of the same problems I have.

i'll stay tuned.

I've ordered some proper nuts and seed and intend on starting over.

Thanks for the compliment. You will have the deep green also very soon I am sure of it. Just keep paying attention to the details. Like anything else.. success for this is about good execution of the details. :peace:

they're looking really kosher right now. its looking like you'll get some medicine if you found some pistls. :bravo:

i'm doing a smaller grow, but same idea. i have 5 under a bunch of 45watt cfl's. bagseed also. in this case i am the son not the father, trying to hide my grow. haha my mom is a smoker and is cool with it. but my dad doesn't like the idea of me growing in my closet. but hopefully they dont mysteriously go missing in the future.

cant wait to check in soon and see some growth. i may have missed it but how many days after sprout did you switch to 12/12. or are you still on 24? and what kinda nutes are you using?

:roorrip:

I am on 12/12 as of 9/11. On 9/11 I had 4 plants 38 days old after sprout. and 4 plants 31 days old after sprout.. I had a rocky start as I waited too long to transplant to the 1 gallon containers.

Your Dad's gonna know... Trust me on that one. Hes gonna smell it or Moms gonna tell him. Get prepared for it. He's been there and done it and knows what its all about.

Good luck!!

haha yeah he has already seen them. he just really disapproves. i am going to either convince him to let them stay through flowering or i have a friend that will take them in.

i was wondering if the 1 gallon pots would be big enough. i only want to transplant once. i was going to get 2 or 3 gallon pots to ensure enough room, but would rather get 1 gallon since i dont have a whole lot of room. i don't want to ditch any because i am playing a numbers game until they sex. but i wouldnt want to confine them if they need more room to grow for a better yield.

haha yeah he has already seen them. he just really disapproves. i am going to either convince him to let them stay through flowering or i have a friend that will take them in.

i was wondering if the 1 gallon pots would be big enough. i only want to transplant once. i was going to get 2 or 3 gallon pots to ensure enough room, but would rather get 1 gallon since i dont have a whole lot of room. i don't want to ditch any because i am playing a numbers game until they sex. but i wouldnt want to confine them if they need more room to grow for a better yield.

One gallon pots are going to leave you on the edge when watering and nuting as the plant gets older. It just isn't enough for healthy plants IMO. Can it be done... yes but its much easier with bigger pots. Give the roots room and the plant will thrive.

I have 2 confirmed females transplanted from 1 to 3 gallon pots. I have started 12/12 and as soon as any of the other 6 plants show me pistils, I am transplanting them to 3 gallon pots. They seem to bounce back in a day from transplant if you do it right (don't compress the soil) bury at the correct level etc)

ps: what happened? how late did you transplant. mine are about 7-8 days old. i am going to transplant this weekend.

I was at 3 weeks old on the oldest plants.

If I had to do it over, I would have done it as soon as its second or third set of true leaves popped.

9/13... Nuted up per Fox Farm 1st week of flower schedule for the 2 females 1 and 6.

3 tsp Big Bloom
2 tsp Tiger Bloom
1/4 tsp Open Sesame
1/2 tsp Microbe Brew
1 gallon of water
PH of the above mix was 6.3 once adjusted up

9/14... That plants I nuted yesterday are showing thier leave rolling under on the sides a bit. THis is only on fairly new growth. The big fan leaves are fine. Possibly I reached the limit. However my EC/PPM was 2.4/1230 which was in the FF specified range. I have about a quart left over. I will use it on the suspected females 3 and 5 tomorrow(9/15) to see if I can duplicate the rolling leaves result.

9/15... Changed out 7 of 12 CFLs from 6500k to 2700k for the red spectrum needed for flowering. I didn't change them all as I wanted a somewhat gradual adjustment of color spectrum. Nuted 3 and 7 with left over nutes from 9/13.

9/16... Day 5 of 12/12 cycle.

I found more pistils today.. Plant 3 and Plant 7 are female! That gives me 4 out of 8. Now its time to tranplant 3 and 7 from 1 gallon to 3 gallon containers. 4 three gallon containers will fill the cablinet. I will transplant on Saturday the 17th.

Plants 3 and 7 were nuted yesterday (9/15) with the leftover from above. The newer growth leaves are rolling over from thier sides as did plants 1 and 6 when I nuted them. I am not sure what to make of this. It almost looks like they are over watered. All plants seem healthy otherwise. 1 and 6 are not rolled as much as they were but they still are not what I would call perfect.

Good idea doin a slow change-out of bulbs. Don't remember if ya said, but are ya doin a transitional change-over of nutes as well (from veg ratio to bloom ratio)? Don't remember if FF does that in their schedule.

Anyway, sounds like they're doin great. Glad ya ended up with enough ladies to fill your stable! :)

Also, was just thinkin bout the new growth "rollin over". Could the new stuff be rollin over to breathe? Maybe theres a lot more CO2 above the canopy than there is in/below the canopy, and the new growth rolls over because it's able to easily (being new growth). I dunno, kinda loopy at the moment. :)
Never done a cabinet grow, got more room in my house than I know what to (legally) do with...

Good idea doin a slow change-out of bulbs. Don't remember if ya said, but are ya doin a transitional change-over of nutes as well (from veg ratio to bloom ratio)? Don't remember if FF does that in their schedule.

Anyway, sounds like they're doin great. Glad ya ended up with enough ladies to fill your stable! :)

Yes Fox Farm Nutes has a set ntue scheduel jsut for flowering. For those reading it can be found here...

https://foxfarmfertilizer.com/FoxFarm-Soil-Schedule.pdf

I hope this is ok ... not sure if they are sponsors or not.

Also, was just thinkin bout the new growth "rollin over". Could the new stuff be rollin over to breathe? Maybe theres a lot more CO2 above the canopy than there is in/below the canopy, and the new growth rolls over because it's able to easily (being new growth). I dunno, kinda loopy at the moment. :)
Never done a cabinet grow, got more room in my house than I know what to (legally) do with...

Good thought... one I had not had. I will definitely keep it in mind.

I have transplanted the final plants. I will post up pictures of the "final four" tomorrow.

Thanks for reading and the fantastic comments all the way through this grow Snub Knows!!! I have learned alot from you!:thanks:

9/18.... Day 6 of flowering. Boy oh boy some big changes since yesterdays post....

I took some pics after yesterdays transplant of 3 and 7 from 1 gal to 3 gal containers. I got up this morning and the fresh transplants look a little limey on the new growth. Part of the change is th 2700K lights but there is definitely some stress from transplanting under flowering that I was not planning on. The two (1 and 6) that I transplanted last weeked showed little transplant stress at all.

Heres a look at my 4 confirmed girls
after_final_transplant_007.JPG

I woke up to this yesterday. I have no idea on this one. They just seemed to shrivel. I must have bumped against them. No other leaves have been affected. Anyone seen this?
after_final_transplant_001.JPG

The smaller and newer growth on my LST is the most limey. It looks like sulpher deficiency but I am going to wait another day. I picked up some epson salts and CalMagPlus to treat it if necessary. I don't have time to run out of state for nutes during the week so I did it today. Added a few other items to my brew also which I will discuss later. One thing I notice about Fox Farm is that the only Sulpher added is with Grow Big. Grow Big isn't used much during flowering so I see a potential inadequacy in the Fox Farm feeding chart. On the other hand, I assume with the addition of 2 gallons of dirt from the transplant, that some sulpher in the soil should begin to leach in to the plants as the roots expand.
Heres some pics of the LST which is my #3.
after_final_transplant_017.JPG

More LST #3... You can see the limey color on this one.
after_final_transplant_010.JPG

In this pic the LST is sitting next a plant that was transplanted over a week ago. Notice the color difference.
after_final_transplant_013.JPG

This girl is the tallest one of the 4. I tied her down abit pulling the taller limbs lower. Hopefully the new growth will fill in the middle. I may have to dangle a CFL in there.
after_final_transplant_015.JPG

Some very thick growth where this bud is beginning to form.
after_final_transplant_014.JPG

The next two pictures are of the other plant I transplanted yesterday showing the limey look. This plant was FIM'd improperly about a week ago.

after_final_transplant_009.JPG

after_final_transplant_021.JPG

FInally it was time to nute plants #1 and #6.

I am supplimenting the Fox Farm regiment with some things that I beleive are lacking in thier Flowering formula.

Today I went with.
3tsp BiG Bloom
2tsp Tiger Bloom
¼ tsp Open Sesame
1tsp Kangaroots
2tsp Cal/Mag-Plus (Iron)
3tsp Bud Candy
2tsp Nirvana

I will see how they like it before I put it on #3 and #7.

I welcome any feed back, criticism, or stern lecturing.

yet again, very impressive grow.

i noticed you topped your plants, any advice on that? do you simply cut under the leader? did you only do it to keep them smaller?

There is a diagram on FIMing here on 420. The drawing shows both FIMing and topping and just where to properly make the cut. I got it

Heres the link to FIMing....

What is the FIM technique?

Heres a picture on Topping..
thrips-in-stages.jpg

I hope this helps.

9/19... The plants are looking much better today than yesterday. THe new growth limey color on th 9/17 transplants is darkening back nicely.

The new modified Fox Farm formula seemed to really make the other two plants take off. Many more pistols showing up today all over the place plus I think they grew an inch over night. Had to tie the bitches down some more to keep em from banging against the bulbs. I could lower the shelf another 3" but I think I will wait a day or so for that. The loft smells fantastic... I am exhasuting 140 cm from a 14 cubic foot cabinet. I open the doors to the cabinet and the smell just captivates you.

Adding AN Bud Candy and AN Nirvana, along wih CalMagPlus seems to help these plants get something they were missing with FF nutes alone.

Back
Top Bottom