1st Grow In 40 Years

Well gang I have problems 48 hours after the flush. The top most leaves are showing rust and are drying out and brittle. Old growth at the bottom of the plants is looking limey like N Deficiency. Pistols are turning brown alot faster than they should be.

Take a look and see what you think....

2_days_after_flush_007.JPG

2_days_after_flush_006.JPG

2_days_after_flush_005.JPG

2_days_after_flush_004.JPG

2_days_after_flush_003.JPG

2_days_after_flush_002.JPG

2_days_after_flush_001.JPG

2_days_after_FLush_2_001.JPG

Not sure what to do at this point other than give em some nutes. I am thinking they just have nothing to feed on. Looks like maganese and nitrogen defiency, or root rot.

Add some nute and the plant should recover. The damage will still be there but it will not spread.

After the flush add 1/2 nute right away to keep the plants from starving. Flushing will take away most of the salt build up along with the bio activities in the soil. New replacement need to be introduced back to the medium to keep the plant going. Unless they are in their final few weeks of flowering, then they'll run on their own stored nutes, which the yellowing and such is ok.

On the last gallon of flush per plant I added 2 tsp of Fox Farm Big Bloom. Its a low strength organic (all NPK is less than 1.0)

10/6... 48 hours after flush
I just now mixed up a 1 gallon batch of full nutes.
3tsp Fox Farm BiG Bloom
2tsp Advanced Nutrients Nirvana
1tsp Fox Farm Grow Big
2tsp Fox Farm Tiger Bloom
2tsp Botanicare Cal/Mag-Plus (Iron)
3tsp Advance Nutrients Bud Candy
1/4 tsp Fox Farm Beastie Bloomz
1/2 tsp Fox Farm Kanagroots
1/2 tsp Fox Farm Microbe Brew

I then poured 1 quart in each plant. Fluid started running out the bottom. I had to suck almost a 1/2 gallon out of the overflow trays. So it ended up to be a mini flush with nutes. These things are waterlogged.

I am so bummed over this. As everyone here I put a lot of time in to this. Its frustrating when you don't know what went wrong when your plants turn on ya. I did everything by the book as shown in the previous 2 posts.

I have a question into Fox Farm to check my flush procedure. We will see if they respond.

So i just skimmed through your grow and you definitely got everything down to a T lol, doin an amazing job!!! and not havin any green since the 80's gotta suck big time, im takin it you live in boondocks close to nothin lol, looks like my grow, barely have any room in there, thats why next time i think im gonna go for less plants, so that the light can get to the bottom buds instead of havin all the bottom buds barely gettin any light and barely growin because of the big fan leaves and pretty much the canopy cover up the bottom buds.. but for your first grow in 40 years i must say your doin a good job man!!! im subbed for sure!!! :thumb: :tokin: this was before i seen your problem, i think it might be from you just adding the bloom to the flush, it looks like it could be nute burn to me, them FF nutes are really strong, but thats just opinion..

So i just skimmed through your grow and you definitely got everything down to a T lol, doin an amazing job!!! and not havin any green since the 80's gotta suck big time, im takin it you live in boondocks close to nothin lol, looks like my grow, barely have any room in there, thats why next time i think im gonna go for less plants, so that the light can get to the bottom buds instead of havin all the bottom buds barely gettin any light and barely growin because of the big fan leaves and pretty much the canopy cover up the bottom buds.. but for your first grow in 40 years i must say your doin a good job man!!! im subbed for sure!!! :thumb: :tokin: this was before i seen your problem, i think it might be from you just adding the bloom to the flush, it looks like it could be nute burn to me, them FF nutes are really strong, but thats just opinion..

Thanks... these comments coming from you are appreciated. It have read all 3 of your grows, the second was came out as a total surprise and I felt very bad for you. It was after reading your second grow that I was convinced to give this a try myself. So you could say you were my inspiration to start growing again.

THe bloom is a low dose and an organic that couldn't hurt anything. I followed the directions as per Fox Farm. I believe the problem was just plain old shock which then manifested symptoms and exaserbated other problems....

After consulting with Fox Farm, I should have only poured a "double watering" In other words. If I usually water a plant 1/2 gallon, I should only run through a gallon at flush. THe exception to this is if there is known nute lock going on. With nute lock 3 to 5 time the normal 1/2 gallon of watering would be needed.

I didn't have nute lock so all the water and Sledgehammer shocked the shit out of the plants. At that point I start to get rust on the upper leaves in the canopy. THis was due to the shocked plant no longer being able to deal with the heat at the canopy. Because I had a hermie, I turned off a fan on that side of the cab to keep it from blowing jizz all over my girls. Well the worst of the damage happened to plants on that side. The plants near the fan faired much better.

I gave them a full feeding on 10/11 - 30 days into 12/12. The damage is done, and it took 10 days to stablize the plants but I am getting new green growth. Today is 2 days after feeding and they the are looking better.

I also read posts on other forums where Sledghammer resulted in similar issues. So my problem is definitely related to Sledgehammer. However if I had use 1 gallon of mixed vs. 2 gallons I would have faired much better. This was probably my fault, though I beleive Fox Farm should have stated more explicit instructions in the directions.

Lessons learned. I will never use Fox Farm Sledghammer. Its lives up to its name too damn well. It knocked the crap out of my plants which were perfect until the flush.

I am probably going to go all organic and give BLue Planet a try on my next grow. Anyway heres some picks of the plants as they are as of 30 days into 12/12.
Roger_Daltrey_-_Tommy_082.JPG

Roger_Daltrey_-_Tommy_081.JPG

Roger_Daltrey_-_Tommy_075.JPG

Roger_Daltrey_-_Tommy_104.JPG

Roger_Daltrey_-_Tommy_094.JPG

THis is my best plant...
Roger_Daltrey_-_Tommy_093.JPG

All is not lost....
Roger_Daltrey_-_Tommy_098.JPG

Roger_Daltrey_-_Tommy_083.JPG

More rust shots
Roger_Daltrey_-_Tommy_078.JPG

Should I trim those rust leaves? The veins are still green in the leaves but they are blocking light. If they serve no purpose I should manicure these now. The are so brittle they are dry and crumbles on the edges.

i wouldnt say all that now, i just try to help people just like people helped me, definitely means alot though and i highly appreciate it, im glad i encouraged you to come back to the light lol, but again thanks man!!! :tokin:

Too much calmag can cause the spots on the leaves. Cut back the 2tsp Botanicare Cal/Mag-Plus (Iron) to zero. The soil, tap water, and nutes you use should contain some calmag, having excessive amount can cause nutrients lockout which results in deficiency.

I appreciate the advice. I am am using RO water with a PPM of 11 so I reasoned there should be very little Calcium and Magnesium, or Iron in the water or the pots since I flushed. If you still beleive that I should cut the Botanicare CAL/MAG to zero I will give that a try. I just wasn't sure you knew that I was using RO water with no calcium or Magnesium or iron in it.

If my logic is flawed, I would appreciate being corrected. I am here to learn and sometimes I get it wrong.

yikes, things got grim since i last visited. Hope they can recover. too much water on the flush looks bad. but at least the plant is still hanging around. I had a similar issue with my plant. i flushed the soil and didn't re-nute it after. nearly killed it.

I should mention I'm currently using Blue Planet Nutes on my Kaya Gold Sativa and Syrup auto flower. I would highly recommend them. also Mr. Corey is great to deal with and deserves as much support as I can give him.

good luck.

Corey is the man, he definitely deserves some big reps, not to many people in this world thats like him, 70's you should check him out, he'll work with ya..and i just seen the question at the bottom, i would go ahead and trim'em back if i was you, cause i mean their dead and theres no bringin'em back so theres really no point of leavin'em on there, but yea i would cut'em.. if you remember i had pretty much the same problem in my first grow and i trimmed back and they were fine, i would trim them back to the bud that way if the bud gets bigger it wont grow over top of the dead leaves, but what ever works for you, i think the best way to learn in this hobby is to experiment and find what works best for you, exactly what people told me, but its up to you, good luck brotha.. :tokin:

Thanks SuKa I am going trim them today. I purchased a cheap microscope to check the Trichomes. I will do that today also. Saturday is garden day for me :)

Finally, I am going to start germination on my recently purchased seeds today... Barney's Vanilla Kush, Greenhouse Seeds Super Lemon Haze, Underground Originals Smellyberry, and few other free strains I received. I just have to figure out what to call this new grow to get people to read it and respond to it.

the buds still look good!

man, I hate when my plants end up getting those rust spots especially after they were all healthy and green. I once had a super grape ape that I sprayed with a neem and soap mix(i think i used too much soap), anyway, the next day I came in and all the leaves were brown and the plant was drooping. It bummed me out for days maybe even weeks.

But now I've learned from my mistakes and I finally get to see my super grape ape flower properly and it's awesome!

It looks like you'll still get some good bud though. As long as you dry and cure it right it should be amongst some of the dopest dope.

I bet 90% of the weed I've smoked would have been dank if they had flushed, dried and cured it properly.

Keep on growin!
I'll be giving BPN a try too, but I need to get a post office box since mail doesn't come out to where I live.

Finally, I am going to start germination on my recently purchased seeds today... Barney's Vanilla Kush,

Hey 1970s Grower.

I'm running a detailed log on my soil based Vanilla Kush grow, which is 62 days old and 29 days (15 pre-flower + 14 bloom) flowering. I've photos of several stages of development if you need to compare it to your grow.

I think I'm still at least 3-4 weeks away from harvest :)

Hey 1970s Grower.

I'm running a detailed log on my soil based Vanilla Kush grow, which is 62 days old and 29 days (15 pre-flower + 14 bloom) flowering. I've photos of several stages of development if you need to compare it to your grow.

I think I'm still at least 3-4 weeks away from harvest :)

Thats a nice format for a Journal. It looks like your VK is doing very well! I havn't seen much done with an LED. It looks like its working very well for you supplemented with CFL.

My last grow used 350w CFLs (a mixture of 45w and 65w bulbs), which made my cramped grow box abit warm (it was also the middle of summer). I wanted something cooler and less energy demanding so I went for LEDs.

VK grew very well from germination and veg stage under the LED (except for a week where I over watered the poor thing).

I guess the proof of the pudding for the LED will be on how well she yields. I got 70grams dry off a Sweet Deep Grapefruit in my 350w CFL grow; I would be happy with anything similar :)

10/16... Day 35 of 12/12. Today is watering day. 6 ml per gallon of Hygrozyme is the onlything added to RO water today. I let the PH get a tad higher than usual to assure even consumption of nutes from the last feeding. PH was set at 6.65.

I took Suka's advise and trimmed out the worst of the rust. Its surprising what was hiding under those leaves... Heres some pics after watering and trimming. Its still recovering but for 35 days it doesn't look bad.

Day_35_of_12-12_013.JPG

Day_35_of_12-12_019.JPG

Day_35_of_12-12_016.JPG

Day_35_of_12-12_021.JPG

Day_35_of_12-12_022.JPG

Day_35_of_12-12_023.JPG

Day_35_of_12-12_024.JPG

Day_35_of_12-12_027.JPG

Day_35_of_12-12_028.JPG

Day_35_of_12-12_032.JPG

Day_35_of_12-12_033.JPG

Day_35_of_12-12_034.JPG

Day_35_of_12-12_039.JPG

I was pretty depressed over this grow after the Sledgehammer flush and the shock. Now that I cleaned up the most of the damaged leaves I don't feel so bad.

I think your journal was the first one I read when I was lurking this site. I wasn't registered then but I thought I'd say something now.

Im glad your plants have recovered since all the problems you faced throughout your grow. everything now looks good and Im sure you will end up with something good in the end.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom