1st Grow - Indoor Northern Lights Auto

Congrats on your harvest, nice one! I don't know if it has to do something with the relatively small amount of light, but on my first grow I used only 33Ws of LEDs and I got around 73grams wet and in the end 20grams of dry buds. I thought as well that it was supposed to lose around 80% of its weight but it did not lose that much.

I have only smoked weed once, this is for me and my partner, he usually smokes but not really at home. I wanted to start growing a little bit for us both. I don't even know how 5 grams even look like:rofl:

WELL you should know what 5g looks like now. well done on your first grow.happydays. good journal .yeaman

Congrats on your harvest, nice one! I don't know if it has to do something with the relatively small amount of light, but on my first grow I used only 33Ws of LEDs and I got around 73grams wet and in the end 20grams of dry buds. I thought as well that it was supposed to lose around 80% of its weight but it did not lose that much.

I think LEDs give off much more useful light than CFLs for the plants, so in terms of useful lumens on the right spectrum for the plant your 33 watts of LEDs might even be as well as my 84 watts of CFLs xD

I have only smoked weed once, this is for me and my partner, he usually smokes but not really at home. I wanted to start growing a little bit for us both. I don't even know how 5 grams even look like:rofl:

WELL you should know what 5g looks like now. well done on your first grow.happydays. good journal .yeaman

Yes, I think I do now :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope Antics gets the time to come by, he's been very busy ^^

I haven't popped in this thread in a while... WOW, great job GK!! :bravo:
and like you said... now you've got experience - and most of the necessary materials - you next grow is bound to be even better ;)

just something to think about... if you have a smoke shop in town - a "legit" smoke shop that specializes in cigars, pipes, etc (AKA: a "Tobacconist") you should be able to pick up some Boveda Humidipaks.... they're small paper packs similar to what you sometimes see packed in electronics or other moisture sensitive products that say "do not eat" on the pack... the difference is, the packs found in electronics only pull moisture FROM the air, with the potential to bring humidity down to zero.... what the Boveda packs do is they REGULATE humidity. if the air is too moist, it'll absorb humidity... if the air is too dry, it'll release extra humidity. They're available in different percentages. For pot, you'll want something in the range of 62% (Ideal, but less commonly found in tobacco shops) or 65% (should be easy enough to find in a tobacco shop, but possibly the lowest they have). once your initial dry is done, you put the buds in your sealed glass jar along with the Boveda pack and that will take care of your final curing. using the pack, you don't NEED to burp the jar... you CAN, but you don't NEED to, as the pack takes care of the moisture exchange. another benefit of the Humidipak is that if you're not a frequent or heavy smoker, that ~40g of bud is going to last you quite a long time. stored in a jar on its own, by the time you get near the end of your supply, you might notice the smoke getting harsher as it dries out more. Stored with the humidipak, your last bud will smoke just as well as your first.

Be sure to give us a smoke report once it's ready :roorrip:

Awesome job. Two questions... What do you think contributed to you getting nearly 4 times more yield than you expected? And how strong of a smell did that NL give off while you were growing her?

I haven't popped in this thread in a while... WOW, great job GK!! :bravo:
and like you said... now you've got experience - and most of the necessary materials - you next grow is bound to be even better ;)

just something to think about... if you have a smoke shop in town - a "legit" smoke shop that specializes in cigars, pipes, etc (AKA: a "Tobacconist") you should be able to pick up some Boveda Humidipaks.... they're small paper packs similar to what you sometimes see packed in electronics or other moisture sensitive products that say "do not eat" on the pack... the difference is, the packs found in electronics only pull moisture FROM the air, with the potential to bring humidity down to zero.... what the Boveda packs do is they REGULATE humidity. if the air is too moist, it'll absorb humidity... if the air is too dry, it'll release extra humidity. They're available in different percentages. For pot, you'll want something in the range of 62% (Ideal, but less commonly found in tobacco shops) or 65% (should be easy enough to find in a tobacco shop, but possibly the lowest they have). once your initial dry is done, you put the buds in your sealed glass jar along with the Boveda pack and that will take care of your final curing. using the pack, you don't NEED to burp the jar... you CAN, but you don't NEED to, as the pack takes care of the moisture exchange. another benefit of the Humidipak is that if you're not a frequent or heavy smoker, that ~40g of bud is going to last you quite a long time. stored in a jar on its own, by the time you get near the end of your supply, you might notice the smoke getting harsher as it dries out more. Stored with the humidipak, your last bud will smoke just as well as your first.

Be sure to give us a smoke report once it's ready :roorrip:

Thanks for the kind words :3

Wow, awesome, I'll try to get those for next grow, or maybe this one, for storage :)

Awesome job. Two questions... What do you think contributed to you getting nearly 4 times more yield than you expected? And how strong of a smell did that NL give off while you were growing her?

The fan that I used is huge, I usually see really small fans in grows, with extractors and an air intake. My theory is that because my fan was huge and changed the air of the enclosure constantly, the plant got lots of CO2 to use for photosynthesis. I also think that maybe genetics helped. But this is just a theory from a first time grower that hardly knows what she's talking about so take the info with a huge grain of salt ^^

In the end, I think it was also because I didn't know anything about growing any kind of plant really, this was my first time growing any kind of plant at all and I didn't know what was going to happen. I think luck was also a pretty big factor xD

I think when Antics or another more experienced grower comes by maybe they'll have a better explanation :) So if you're an experienced grower reading this what do you think contributed to me having the great harvest I did?

The fan that I used is huge, I usually see really small fans in grows, with extractors and an air intake. My theory is that because my fan was huge and changed the air of the enclosure constantly, the plant got lots of CO2 to use for photosynthesis. I also think that maybe genetics helped. But this is just a theory from a first time grower that hardly knows what she's talking about so take the info with a huge grain of salt ^^

In the end, I think it was also because I didn't know anything about growing any kind of plant really, this was my first time growing any kind of plant at all and I didn't know what was going to happen. I think luck was also a pretty big factor xD

I think when Antics or another more experienced grower comes by maybe they'll have a better explanation :) So if you're an experienced grower reading this what do you think contributed to me having the great harvest I did?

I have 0 experience! :) But based on everything I've read about autos + CFL you had a spectacular yield! I'm becoming convinced that LST is the correct technique with autos despite the fact that I've read many people who say never train an auto.

I have 0 experience! :) But based on everything I've read about autos + CFL you had a spectacular yield! I'm becoming convinced that LST is the correct technique with autos despite the fact that I've read many people who say never train an auto.

There was also lots of reservations and warnings in here from experienced growers not to defol too hard and it turned out okay, I even defoled more than advised and it was fine. But don't defol much! I was too excited and I risked it but plants in other environments might not fare as well as mine did but definitely use LST!

Have you smoked any yet? If so how is it? Took a sample of mine recently and its fruity, and mines a northern lights cross. Im wondering what the straight northern lights tastes like, although im guessing not fruity for some reason.

We've been quite busy and haven't gotten around to it, was gonna today but it's not a good time. Things have been quite chaotic over here so I don't really know when we're going to sample it.

EDIT: I might make some buttered tea of it soon though.

Sorry my computer glitched and didn't show the last few pages of this, I was talking about something said weeks ago.. :p

Congratulations Kitty! That's an awesome result. I have an Purple Auto, a Biodiesel Mass Auto and a non-auto Chocolope going at the moment under CFLs so I have enjoyed watching your success with an Auto under CFLs. What was your final bulb, lumen and Kelvin figures?

Very good effort. :)

-J.

What was your final bulb, lumen and Kelvin figures?

I have no idea ^^

-----doing some research-----

Okay I think, not sure because I don't have the boxes of the lights anymore, that I had 5000 lumens on the plant, 2 were 6500k and the other two were 2700k.

Back
Top Bottom